Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Creepy Cartoon/Show Moment?

From an actual cartoon, my nephew use to be scared of the walrus episode of Pingu. Don't blame him, that episode is pretty damn surreal and the giant walrus is easily terrifying.

Most of my formative years were spent watching Scooby-Doo. Always been fascinated by the mysterious and sometimes dark and creepy. No, there wasn’t an episode of Scooby that ever scared me. I also had a fascination for watching things like Tales from the Crypt, which didn’t scare me either…..oh no…..no no……what got me…..wasn’t until I was 11 damned years old…..when the original Child’s Play came out…..I honestly haven’t the slightest clue why either but a doll, with batteries, coming to life and killing people fucking terrified me at the time. So much so in fact that…..that Christmas after the movie had come out and I’d watched it……I received a bear for Christmas that when you pushed one paw, it sang Christmas songs and it’s nose flashed red along with the song. Meaning…..that fucker ran on batteries. Indeed! So 11 year old me took the batteries out of the damned thing and hid them in one spot and the bear in another spot. To this day I can not tell you where I stashed either one because I totally put it out of my mind. 🤣 None of the other Chucky movies bothered me, like at all and in fact I think most of them are pretty hysterically funny but that very first one still taps that childish fear any time I watch it. Lmao

Pretty sure that it was this scene specifically that really fucked me up over it. Damned thing didn’t and wouldn’t die even when burned AND it played on a very real fear of mine of being burned alive myself…..😬

DUb_NZ1UQAEV-Cp.jpg

The closest one I remember fondly is probably something not exactly creepy though EXTREMELY brutal. Naturally it was a scene I happened to catch during post-classic Spongebob, and I think Spongebob was trying to help Squidward move a couch, and instead it just, dear god I'm scared to describe it or else I might get b& but. It had a real graphic depiction of his toenail when the couch leg scraped against it.

The closest one I remember fondly is probably something not exactly creepy though EXTREMELY brutal. Naturally it was a scene I happened to catch during post-classic Spongebob, and I think Spongebob was trying to help Squidward move a couch, and instead it just, dear god I'm scared to describe it or else I might get b& but. It had a real graphic depiction of his toenail when the couch leg scraped against it.
Oh, yeah. You reminded me of all those moments on Ren & Stimpy that were basically PG-rated body horror. I almost never watched that show because the writers had a list of everything about living organisms that squidges me out and referenced it regularly.

"Hellfire" from Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. When I first saw it as a little kid in elementary school (guessing the substitute teacher just saw it was a G-rated Disney movie and thought, "Eh, this'll do"), the fire and such got me. But it wasn't until I was older that I truly got the multiple layers in this song, the various visual references and...yeah.

And I wasn't expecting "In the Dark of the Night" from Anastasia:

I still to this day cannot watch the Bunyip scene from Dot & the Kangaroo. 🫣

Definitely The Secret of Nimh. The sense of vulnerability and fear in that movie is intense.
Secret of Nimh definitely ranks near the top for me.

My nightmare-fuel had always been Watership Down ...

Secret of Nimh definitely ranks near the top for me.

My nightmare-fuel had always been Watership Down ...

Yes. This. Great movie, awesome book. But a bit terrifying for a young person to watch.

When Captain Holly catches up to the group and describes what happened in the Sandelford warren when the group left, the imagery that accompanies his tale was so disturbing and terrifying to me as a child, I didn't realize what he was actually saying or talking about until I rewatched it as an adult. He was describing how the human construction crew filled in the holes of the warren and put gas into the tunnels to suffocate the rabbits(nefarious for the rabbits indeed but humans just trying to clear the space for the land development project or whatever).

I had a TREMENDOUS fear of Skeletons when I was a child, crippling actually thanks to a certain campy Parody Film; Mars Attacks.
I go back and watch the Film today and I enjoy it, I laugh at it, in fact I often "ACK ACK" at Sectoids whenever I replay X-Com 2.

But goodness, that scene got me good...had to run out of the room and hide under my blanket but, then again I was bout...6-7?

Also, I could NOT watch Nightmare Before Christmas' Opening "THIS IS HALLOWEEN" when the clown came on, whew.

I had a TREMENDOUS fear of Skeletons when I was a child, crippling actually thanks to a certain campy Parody Film; Mars Attacks.
I go back and watch the Film today and I enjoy it, I laugh at it, in fact I often "ACK ACK" at Sectoids whenever I replay X-Com 2.

But goodness, that scene got me good...had to run out of the room and hide under my blanket but, then again I was bout...6-7?

Also, I could NOT watch Nightmare Before Christmas' Opening "THIS IS HALLOWEEN" when the clown came on, whew.
Haha, when I first saw mars attacks when I was a wee kid and they scared the unholy fuck out of me too. Love the movie now but my kid mind was terrified of them.

Haha, when I first saw mars attacks when I was a wee kid and they scared the unholy fuck out of me too. Love the movie now but my kid mind was terrified of them.
^^^^^^ +1 to Mars Attacks, some of the more graphic scenes still make me cringe a little.

Once when I was a toddler, the TV was left ok during the night. I remember at around 3-5am a weird show played, and there was a guy in a train charging at what looked like a robot with a child’s voice. The robot warmed him to stop, before the guy’s legs got shot and he writhed in agony. I was too young to fully comprehend what it was and it felt like a fever dream.

It was not until many years later that I had realized that it was Adult Swim and it was playing Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, with the robot guy being Alphonse.

There really wasn't any Children Shows I found creepy, though I did find some shows to focus on certain 'aspects' like Totally Spies did~

Though I do agree with people that Courage the Cowardly Dog was a creepy show when looking back on it, and well there is also Anastasia (1997 film)
with how Rasputin was designed not to mention how the Romanoffs died to his curse was really freaky but extremely well done from 20th Century Fox.

The Mark Twain Adventures episode where they meet "the mysterious stranger" (Satan)

Watching it again on YouTube years later, he had some pretty good points about humanity. Maybe I'm just jaded with age.

Also, I remember some O, Canada! shorts deeply traumatizing me. If any of my close neighbors of the great white North are here, y'all are subjected to some messed up shit. Nanalan is on drugs too, but at least it's hilarious.

Last edited:
CtCD was deeply unsettling growing up. And every once in a while I still have nightmares about that scene from Watership Down.

What really wrecked me though was the fate of the girl in the painting in The Witches. I was fine with the rest of the movie, but being trapped, aging, and dying alone in a painting.... And that's the kid version. An episode of The Twilight Zone did something similar but went more the "eternal torment" route with it. The fact that in context it's happening to someone who participated in the Holocaust doesn't make the fate itself any less disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom