Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It's Fake, Right? |Baby & desperado|

Dimples

Star
“Another beer, please?” Elise called over the bar to the bartender before turning back to the man she was rambling all her problems to. “My mom called today.” She paused, a frown to her face. “They arranged a man for me to marry, saying I am getting to old for an unmarried woman. They want me to meet him this weekend. Can you believe that?! Who the hell has arranged marriages these days?!”

The bartender slid a cold beer in her direction. Nodding in appreciation, she turned back to the man. “What am I going to do now? I don’t want to marry some strange guy that my crazy mom picked out!” Slumping onto the counter, she sighed. This always happened when she went drinking with Steve. Get a few drinks in her and she spills her life problems to him. Well, it wasn’t like this was anything new, Steve had been around long enough to accept all her little quirks. Being childhood friends just kind of did that to a person. By now they had no secrets between each other.

None, except one.

Elise was utterly and madly in love with Steve. Unrequited, she was sure, but then again, it wasn’t like she had ever given him a chance to make that decision. It may have been obvious to others, but she had never admitted it out loud to the one person that mattered. Perhaps he already knew and was just ignoring it so they didn’t have to go through the uncomfortable rejection. Sure, there were several times that she thought she was ready to tell him, but the time always slipped through her fingers with bad opportunities. May that be, he was with someone else, or she was with someone else, it never worked out, and by now, she was so frustrated by the situation that she would do almost anything to just get the courage to make her move.

Wait…

This could be it! Perhaps this was the situation she had been waiting for. Why not make the best of being randomly engaged to a stranger. Suddenly, her back straightened, turning to face Steve. “You could help me!” She paused, then tried to explain. “If I am dating someone, my mom won’t try to force marriage on me! You can be my boyfriend!” She paused again, realizing just how crazy she sounded. “Well, f-fake boyfriend, of course.” Chewing on her bottom lip anxiously she leaned in closer. “What do you say? They already know you, so not liking you won’t be a problem. But, they may need a little proof to really call it off.” She glanced up at him, that pleading look she always gave him when she wanted something. “Please?”

Steve listened to his best friend without interrupting. He had an uncanny ability to listen to someone as well as be deep in thought, which worked well in most any conversation--except when he was talking to Elise. He was madly in love with her, which of course he was sure was unrequited. He had a girlfriend, she had a boyfriend. It was like a cheezy romance movie except with no happy end in sight.

Until he heard her mention her solution.

He could not hide the surprise and delight from his face. Should he tell her now? Why would she suggest such a thing if she didn't at least like him as a little more than a friend? It's not logical unless she wants you!, his brain screamed at him. Doubt and courage warred within his head as he just started to smile despite himself. "Elise, I'd be more than happy to help get your mom off your back, but I do have something I'd like to confess, if you don't mind?"

Maybe this was his chance.

He took both her hands in his and waited for her to give him permission to go ahead, or not. His heart was pounding in his chest and his pulse could be felt in his soft, gentle hands, the hands of a man who used his mind to benefit society, not brute force or manual labor. He was even being headhunted by a major defense contractor that specializes in less-than-lethal weapons for use in areas with civilians. Of course, this was all very hush-hush, but he was excited because they were based right here, in LA. He didn't need to leave Elise.

She didn’t know what she expected him to say – but so easily accepting was not it. With widened eyes, she stared over at him in shock. “Wait… R-Really?” A slow smile painted her lips. “You’re the best, Steve.” She could’ve captured him in a huge embrace if he hadn’t took her hands in his. Perhaps that was best. Flinging herself on him probably wasn’t the most appropriate thing to do to a man. It’s fake. The reality of the situation echoed in her mind.

Just because he agreed, didn’t mean he was admitting he loved her.

I do have something I'd like to confess, if you don't mind?

Slowly, she leaned back in the stool to look him in the eyes, a serious expression on her face. “Yeah? What is it?” Her brows grew together in worry. “Are you okay? Did something happen?” Surely he wouldn’t look so serious if something hadn’t. Steve had always been by her side when she needed it the most – now, it was her turn. Her small hands wrapped around his thick wrists as she leaned closer. “You know you can tell me anything.”

The issue with her mother could wait. She knew she would have to call her in the morning and tell her the news if she wanted to avoid being engaged, and she was sure that her mom would ask the two to come for a visit so that she could see if it was really true. Steve and Elise had known each other for far too long without any romance involved for her mom to upright accept it – even if she used to tease Elise that she should just marry him. Oh, if she only knew how much she wanted that.

"I think," Steve began, "something is happening right now. Something wonderful." His face broke into a wide grin as confidence won out. "And I am more than just 'okay', Elise." So what if she didn't feel the same way? It would make him feel better in the long run if he got this off his chest now, rather than living and not knowing. He took a deep breath and continued.

"I love you, Elise. I have for a long time."

His grip on her hands never tightened, never got too rough or aggressive; he wanted her to come to him. "I suppose it goes without saying that I never plucked up the courage to say anything until now." His smile became a little sheepish. "I'm like a character in some B-list romantic comedy, never confessing until the end of the movie." A small chuckle escaped his lips as he thought back to the last rom-com they watched together. He was always doing things that he wasn't all that interested in, just to spend time with her. Hopefully she'd see it that way.

I think, something is happening right now. Something wonderful.

A brow of curiosity arched. “Alright.” She said with reluctance. However, he only continued, telling her how he was more than okay, holding her hands so tenderly she felt like he was afraid he would break her if he gripped to tightly. She hadn’t noticed how she held her breath in anticipation. He looked so happy, why did he look so happy? Was it because they were going to act like a fake couple? It was laughable. Surely, not. If he was, than that would mean he had been wanting something like this to happen – that he felt the same way she did. It was impossible.

I love you, Elise. I have for a long time.

A wide doe-eyed stare of absolute shock stared back at him. She remained in a silent state of surprise while he continued with his confession, saying how he hadn’t had the courage to tell her. Years of silence – of yearning for this moment sent her mind in a whirl, and she finally let out that breath in a slow ragged sigh. It had to be a joke. Right? There was no way something like this could happen. There was no way that something she had wished for so long would be unfolding in front of her very eyes.

“Wait…” Finally, she spoke, pulling her hands from his to glance down, one of her hands falling upon the side of her face as if to steady her rambling mind. “I think I drank more than I realized.” She admitted, obviously in denial. Her eyes met his again as he admitted that he was like a character of one of the rom-cons she always made him watch. “You’re serious?” She asked, a little spark of hope in her voice. A large grin formed on her face as she finally accepted it. “I-I love you too.” She finally admitted.

"You do?" Steve's heart leapt at her confession that she felt the same way he did. "That is wonderful. And you know what happens when the guy and the girl finally confess, right?" His eyes never left Elise's as he took her hands again and leaned forward, tilted his head towards the side, and kissed her, finally. He stopped for the moment, his lips barely an inch from hers, and whispered, "So are you gonna kiss me back?"

Back
Top Bottom