Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Checkers, Wreckers, And the Heart (FxF adventure, LadyWolfie and Frozen Princess)

Saturday morning, February 13 0830 hours.

"Settle down ladies and gentlemen. Take your seats so we can get this drivers meeting over with and you can qualify your cars." The older official said holding a microphone and looking over the group of ARCA drivers, 36 strong, for the first race of the season. Rebecca Connor, 24, from Denver, Colorado, a 5-8 green eyed redhead with freckles that even ran down her neck and disappeared down the collar of her blouse took a quick look around for her teammate with Gerhart Racing*, and a rookie that was just starting this year. Thinking she spotted her, she paid attention to the man with the microphone, who continued, "You've already learned from testing last month that speeds have been cut farther due to some of the chassis adjustments and spoilers in an effort to keep you all safe. Seeing as there are an unprecedented 13 rookies this year and half are of the female persuasion, we are going to crack down even harder on sexual harassment."

"¡Finalmente!"** Veteran racer Julia Santovenia, 26, from Santa Rosalia, Mexico (Baja California) called out. She was one of several that had been harassed due to their gender the last few years.

"Yes, Julia... It IS about time. And it goes both ways, ladies. Harassing the guys, or fellow females and you will be in trouble, as well. First complaint you sit out the next race and will be fined. Second, a bigger fine and five races. Next time... See you next year after you've gone through a course for your behavior. Hopefully, once will be enough since most of you are vying for the championship."

"For you rookies, this is Daytona. You are not to go below the yellow line to advance your position. You all need to practice the yellow line is an invisible wall during qualifying. If it's determined that you DID go below the line to advance your position and you weren't forced there, you will be black flagged and brought into the pits for a stop and go. If you realize it yourself, and drop back on your own, you won't have to come in. If a caution comes out immediately after, and you had not tried to rectify it yourself, you will be regulated to the back of the pack. No other exceptions. Being a rookie isn't going to be an excuse, you're being told now in the driver's meeting."

After going over some more rule changes and covering rules for the rookies' benefits, the drivers were dismissed for qualifying for the Lucas Oil 200.

0930 Broadcasting Booth, 30 minutes into qualifying

"And going out on the track is the 00 of Samuel Brunswick of Dayton Ohio, 33, a wily journeyman with a known beef with Bobby Gerhart, and his racing team. There's the green flag to begin his run and he's looking real good going into turn one low on the race track and hugging the out of bounds line. Current pole sitter the 22 driver Ward Lehigh looks on as Brunswick goes down the backstretch. Looks like Lehigh's speed of 184.072 looks safe on the first lap as Brunswick crosses at 181.414. He'll have to pick up some major speed, almost three miles per hour, to threaten for the pole. All 36 cars here at Daytona will qualify for the race later today, it's just a matter of where in the field they'll be. Brunswick picks up a little on the second lap and will be back in the pack with a 181.600 flat.

Here's second year veteran Rebecca Connor on the track now, 24 from Denver, Colorado, she did well her rookie year in the 5 finishing 10th in the season points, she's busting a pretty good lap as she takes the white flag, no where near Patty Moise's record set in 1989 but good enough for the provisional pole. She's trying for a bit more as she flies down the backstretch of this two and a half mile tri-oval. Out of turn four, and she does pick it up a little more, from 184.333 to 184.406 miles per hour!" DJ, the color commentator for the ARCA broadcasts on BMR television and radio said excitedly, watching everything from high about the grandstands.

As Rebecca pulled in and climbed out, pit reporter Veronica Porter stuffed the mike in her face for her point of view on her pole run. "Sure it's good, but I think I left something on the table. I don't expect to keep the pole as Heidi hasn't run yet, and neither has my teammate. Rookies have a bad habit here of late not to leave anything out there. Look at me last year and my five poles."

She excused herself, and got up on her teammate Victoria's pitbox, driver of the 85, to watch her run.

Screenshot_20210510-154530.png

Rebecca's car and paint scheme

*-This is an AU roleplay, as sadly, Gerhart is not active in ARCA this year.

**-Spanish for "It's about time!"

@LadyWolfie

Last edited:
The 85 car was starting it's run, Victoria certainly wasn't looking to leave anything to chance and she was pushing the car as best she could. Though she wanted people to under estimate her so she didn't push to the max speed, something her crew chief would be chewing her out for once he found out. Victoria was the daughter of a legend in open-wheel racing, which was why she had chosen to enter the NASCAR run series instead. She didn't want to be compared to her father even though she knew she would be no mater what series she raced in. For now she let herself focus on her hot laps. In the end she put in a 184.395 before she pulled into the pits and parked at her pit stall. With a sigh she dropped her window net and pulled her steering wheel out before climbing out of the car and taking her helmet off.

"How'd we do?" she asked as she looked towards his crew chief. Once she had her helmet off she noticed her crew chief wasn't the only one at her pit box and nodded to her teammate.

Meanwhile after interviewing Rebecca, Veronica had moved down the line until she found Sarah Oliver who was making one of her few appearances. She didn't usually race unless they were in California or a nearby state. "Ms. Oliver! It's good to see you, what brings you here to Daytona?" she asked as she passed the microphone to her.

"Well Ms. Porter I decided this year I would come out for the season opener. We're trying to be more involved this season, but it's all for charity as usual." Sarah replied with a smile at the camera as expected. "With the help of Nationwide, who will be doubling all proceeds the team makes for the 93 car merchandise and our winnings should we finish in the points, we'll be able to help more charities. This year we'll be donating to St. Judes, Toys for Tots, and Wounded Warrior Foundation, something we're very proud of this year."

"That's great to here Sarah, good luck out there today!" Veronica replied with a smile, "When we come back we'll be touring the pits and see if we can catch up with a few more of this season's rookies!" she added as they coverage switched to someone else.

"It was good to see you again Veronica, maybe we'll see each other after the race." she said before she made her way towards her own pit box to check on her car.

Victoria Hunter:
i3NNxpN.jpg

Victoria's car:
cgkltbV.png

Victoria's Helmet:
2vu8yTX.png

Sarah Oliver:
PlpBxrc.jpg

Sarah's Car:
0R8ZHxj.png

Sarah's helmet:
5d9zSq0.png

DJ (calling Victoria's run): It's Gerhart Racing's other entry, the 85 of rookie Victoria Hunter. If the name sounds familiar to you folks, it should, as she is the offspring of Formula 1 Racing legend, three time champ Quinton Hunter. And look at her go! She has a solid lock on outside front row on her first lap! Going into turn two and down the backstretch, she is really flirting with her teammate's pole speed! And the checker has her.... It's a Bobby Gerhart Racing front row, ladies and gentlemen! Three-nine-five! What a run for the rookie!

The crew chief double checked his watch against Rebecca's, as Rebecca sat up there shaking her head with a grin a mile wide. "Wow... If she left anything on the table, it wasn't much! I thought there for a few milliseconds she'd get me. Where she lost it was coming out of turn four."

"I'll see if she thought she had a bit of tightness in that corner. That's where I saw the drag, too. Expected. Both of you had issues with turn four in testing last month. Your problem seems fixed. A bit of fine tuning..." Victoria pulled in and climbed out. "Outside front row with twelve cars left. How'd it feel in turn four? That's where you lost the pole run."

Rebecca smiled and gave her a thumbs up, "Way to go, rookie!"

Meanwhile, the rest of the field had to run and DJ called every car on the track. When Heidi Xavier, fellow rookie of the year candidate got on the track, she also flirted with the front row. But like Victoria, had a bit of an issue with turn four and just missed by .001 miles per hour, getting 184.394 and third position for the race.

Just before the 66 went out, The Gerhart Racing had a team meeting at the 85 pit. Owner addressed his girls and teams. "Everyone except three of the drivers have had issues with turn four this morning. I don't like it. That's a tricky enough corner as is. Girls, you need to really listen to your spotters and communicate every lap what the car is doing going in and out of there. Center I've seen a few wobbles, but mostly the decrease in speed has been from possible tight conditions, not just on my cars, but others. I've never known Kimmel to be tight, but even the 46 was. Bill looked about ready to pitch a fit. Same with the other Bill. Venturini Motorsports definitely had trouble there. I've been assured..." Everyone heard the engine go and saw the 66 going by on the track billowing blue smoke.

"Damn." Was the remark from the nearby pit crew chief for the 66. "Good run going, too. High 183s."

Gerhart finished his thought. "By an ARCA and track official both that they've also noticed the trend. We were told to remind our drivers to pay close heed to your spotters at all times, but especially in turn four, and tell your crew chief EVERYTHING going on with your car in that corner. In, center, out, for today's race." He then excused himself to talk to the 66s car owner.

Victoria looked up from putting her gloves into her helmet when she heard the congratulations and question. Once she had her gear taken care of she turned to both and shook her head in answer to the question asked of her.

"I backed out on purpose. There was no problem, but I want to save some for the race." she replied simply and waited to be chewed out. "I want them to underestimate me." she added with a shrug. She didn't really care of they were mad about her holding back, it was her driving the car after all. Whatever the case she listened during the team meeting before she went back to her car to double check her set up once more.

Meanwhile Sarah was taking her run after the 66 went out and she was mainly just going for fun. Her goal was to get into the top five, mostly for charity reason. She was pushing the car hard, much harder than one would expect of someone not racing for points. Of course the better she did, the better the donations to her charity efforts so she wanted to make it count. She might not run at every race but she still had a fast car and a reputation to up hold as she usually placed high in the events she did take part in.

The crew chief turned a little red, but had nothing to say as Victoria admitted to "fudging a bit", he just walked off.

After the meeting as clean-up from oil and engine parts kept the track people busy so the last car could qualify, Rebecca walked over to Victoria. "Hey, you." She said it in almost a flirty way, but there were none of the other signs of a flirt going on. After all, she was there as a teammate. "I'd rather you kick my ass anyway you can. Poles, better speed, definitely the race... But... I mean look. It's your name, y'know? That carries so much clout on it's own, that 'fudging for the race' can create it's own monster rep. It's not really one you want. Mr. Gerhart is definitely someone who you want on your side, and he's the last person you want to say you left something on the table. I'm kinda hoping I'm the only one to say something to you this morning. I mean, didn't your dad win three championships and countless poles? I want to see you beat my rookie record in poles*. Prove you ARE just as good as your dad. I'll give you whatever you want if you do. I got five poles in the last eighteen races of a twenty race season. You have one more race to get six." She gave a smile moreso for encouragement.

DJ on Sarah Oliver's run: And after a lengthy delay due to the detonation of car 66s engine, finally the last car goes out on the track to qualify, the 93 of Sarah Oliver. She's usually at California for that race, however with it not on the 20 race schedule this year, she came here, we might see her again at Phoenix, the next race. You heard them mentioned during her interview, but these worthy causes are worth repeating. St. Jude's. Toys for Tots. Wounded Warrior Foundation. Can you find better causes than kids and our Veterans? As she takes the checkered flag she'll have to come from midpack, but her just being in Daytona and qualifying for today's race will be worth it!

*-Michael McDowell actually holds that with nine. Rebecca means female, as I couldn't find a female driver with that many in ARCA

Back
Top Bottom