Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Character types you tend to gravitate towards writing/writing with?

I wouldn't classify my gremlins like that, but true danger/dark themes like that don't really interest me. My gremlins save lives, they just joke about it nearly the entire time.

D&D ficlet I wrote about my monk/bard and one of her husbands (used to be the BBEG of the campaign before she saved him); it kind of expands on what I go for in my gremlins:
Hadriel Vadik was many things.

Hadriel Vadik was not dexterous.

Least of all compared to the woman sunning herself beside him, comfortable in absolutely nothing at all thanks to the privacy afforded his opulent villa and the pool smack dab in the middle of it. A pool he had had so little occasion to use until she shone her way into his life. Hadriel Vadik was many things, neither dexterous nor one a man of great emotion, but the one beside him could read the small smile on his face as a pleased grin.

She smiled as well, an impish curl against her arm, then deftly, expertly made it pretty for him. "I like when you look at me, Blackbird."

"Trust me, my little lighthouse, I enjoy the view greatly. There are fewer views in Eturia I have enjoyed, and I have seen many. Do you wish a refill on your drink?"

"Oh no, no. -- But, Haddy, darling? Do you remember when we talked, at Silvershaper's party?"

Her companion cast his black-pooled eyes away - the mention of such was still a bit of an embarrassment. Still, to have been one to hold her amongst the swaying bodies of so many - to have shared that first, warm kiss - it had set something in motion, something he was heartachingly thankful for. "Of course. How could I ever forget?"

It was all she needed. The arm hidden from his view, dangling off the poolside chair, flexed and grasped the item she had prepared before he had come out. She rolled casually onto her side while lifting it, balanced it on one soft hip.

Vadik gave it a curious glance, no more. To him, it looked like a mere glass of water, so it was to his shock that she, with the manual dexterity born from years of her particular training, brought the glass up and dashed the contents in his face, only to - in the same graceful movement - be up and running, laughing delightedly, around the edge of the pool.

Hadriel Vadik was not a dexterous man but after his initial shock wore off - damn her, she kept flabbergasting him - he scrambled out of his chair and was after her. They rounded one edge - she used just enough of the decidedly unmortal speed in her thick legs to remain out of his reach - went galloping along the other side.

Then she stopped, twirled. He could not correct - could not skid to a stop quickly enough - yet she had prepared for this, it was her end goal - she grasped him and pulled him along to the side with her. As they fell towards the glittering blue waters, she pressed her lips firmly to his.

Hadriel Vadik was many things. Dexterous was not one of them. But as he relaxed into her arms and they hit the water, entangled, as their world became blue and bubbles and they breathed into each other, Hadriel Vadik was only one thing.

Hadriel Vadik was in love.

Also, Sean MacGuire from RDR2 is a great example, and I've played him to great effect as a side NPC in one RDR2 RP I'm doing.

Most of mine are vicious monsters, but with a heavily silly way of acting whatever that may be. I'm a big fan of my female gremlin types being very girlish and cute, bouncy, bubbly, even very sweet at times, it's just all those sharp teeth when they smile, wow! Think of the young lady that sees you alone without a date on Valentine's day, then brings you a box of chocolates to cheer you up, unfortunately the chocolates are made by her, with the blood of the person she's got hanging in her basement! *chuckle*

Yeah, dark themes like that are most definitely not my cup of tea and I try to avoid them at all costs. But hey, just preference.

Toxic characters 100%

I need conflict to write so I prefer characters who give as good as they get, it amps up the drama. I personally don't enjoy the uwu types, I don't really get much out of it even if it's a submissive role.

Yee, tis why I play bad people, so much more drama and fun than good guys and gals. I love those visceral moments where someone is just like, jaw dropped, by some wicked thing they do.

Not monsters, not quite! But toxic, or problematic in some way, or corrupted.

I tend to write characters that think they have the world all figured out until they are knocked on their ass with reality. Characters that are extremely flawed or just plain immature, uppity.

I am drawn to stronger, wiser, more experienced characters that can either help mine through the journey or are the reason they were forced to wake up to their position in the world. Either a gentle guiding hand or a villain to open their eyes.

I noticed that I do a lot of gravitating toward like asshole or self absorbed characters. Examples are like Laharl from Disgaea series, Etna isn't as bad but she has a self inflated self. Then like the FATE series like Gilgamesh and Nobunaga Oda from FateGO. I don't know why but they always seem to pull me to them and maybe they may be able to grow or have a spike of inspiration like somebody that has already a deep understanding.

Back
Top Bottom