Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

True Rebellion (Knight & Wing)

The rest of the afternoon was quiet, almost eerie in that Ren could still remember the sights and sounds from that fateful day. The two girls spoke in hushed tones, exchanging smiles while occasional tears touched their cheeks. The sun had already begun to tuck behind the skyline by the time they parted ways, Shiho's slight limp the most visible sign of her lingering pain. Ann watched her leave, waiting for Ren in their usual spot by the gate.

"Hey," Ann called out to him, "Can we talk for a minute?"

She reached over and took his hand gently, guiding him to a quiet corner before looking up at him, "So... You talked to Shiho, didn't you?"

"Thank you... I... I don't even want to think about what might have happened if you hadn't," Ann smiled, her eyes shimmering with lingering sorrow, "I should have been a better friend to Shiho, rather than letting her shoulder all of it on her own. She's really strong, you know? I know she can find it in herself to move forward, even with everything that's happened."

Ren was actually quite calm about everything. He didn't know how this would play out but he was sure it would be good. The sun was dipping down beyond the horizon when he started making his way towards the gate. He walked normally until he saw Ann and she called out to him. He smiled softly for her.

"Sure, whatever you need."

He nodded as she took his hand. Sure, some people were watching, since when did he care. She pulled him into a quiet little spot where no one would notice or bother them. She was tearing up a little as she told him that she should have been a better friend. Ren shook his head and placed his hand on her cheek gently brushing a tear forming at the corner of her eye.

"No, you're both strong. And you'll be even stronger together. If you think you should have been a better friend then just start now. Shiho's counting on you and I don't think she's made a bad bet."

Ren looked at Ann and tried to meet her eyes.

"What we can do, what we will do, we're doing it for people like her. It's not about us. You always knew that, better than Ryuji and I did I'd wager. So cheer up. It's only because of you I could be there for Shiho then."

"Right," Ann finally smiled, although the tears still lingered at the corner of her eyes, "We still need to steal Kamoshida's treasure and set things right. We can't let more people be abused like Shiho... I won't allow it."

her hands tightened into fists filled with determination and she closed her eyes resolving within herself to be there for her friend, to help her heal the fresh wounds in any way she could. Time would help, but simply being a shoulder to lean on would do a great deal more.

"Thank you," Ann looked up at Ren, a little glint of playfullness shimmering, "But just because I'm pulling extra doesn't mean you get to slack off." She reached up and poked him in the cheek before stepping back, her hands folded behind her back as she flashed him a brilliant grin, "Let's do our best."

"Yeah, we will. He'll get what's coming to him. And he'll do it all to himself. That's the best part."

He smiled a little before brushing the tears from the corner of her eyes as she looked up at him. She told him that if she pulled extra he couldn't be slacking. He had no intention of doing so. She poked his cheek and he raised his eyebrow at her as she flashing him a grin that he knew all too well. Ren moved his hand to her shoulder for a moment and then let go of the blonde.

"You know how to reach me if you need to talk. Even if all you want to talk about it how I'm slacking off and you're carrying the team on your back."

Ren put his hands in his pockets and stuck his tongue out at her just a little to tease her.

"Sure," Ann nodded, reaching over to nudge him in the shoulder as he teased her, "And just let me know if you need me to take you down a few pegs."

With one last parting shot of teasing, she waved as she turned to leave. Her steps seemed a bit lightened, as if a burden had been lifted from her shoulders, hips swaying as she made her way down the path she had walked so many times before. The sensation of Ren's hand holding her shoulder still lingered, the memory of his warmth guiding her thoughts.

The next few days would be crucial, especially as they were drawing close to reaching Kamoshida's Treasure room.

She nudged him right back as he teased her. She could take it as good as she got it it seemed. And that's how she shot back at him. Oh he liked her. It was hard not to honestly. She strolled away with a sway that made him smile. A sway that he would love to see in better detail but wouldn't push the issue on now. After she moved out of sight he nodded his head. Things were progressing.

And they did progress. As they worked through the Palace they discovered where the treasure should be and they were forming a plan. Someone let Ryuji plan the calling card, it was Ren, and it wasn't that bad. Ann and Ryuji had adapted to the Metaverse decently by now. They were further than they had been when they had done this the first time around if nothing else at least. It made him eager for the future. He knew the potential that they had, that the rest of the Thieves had, and it was only a matter of time before he expanded it past what they had reacted in the previous timeline. Now he was settled into a routine. He knew what was coming so he knew how best to spend his time. He was decently acquainted with a number of people, including a few ladies he was going to pursue later, but for now he was standing with Skull, Morgana, and Panther.

They weren't inside the Palace yet but the plan was going to be put into action. They had been planning for this after all.

"We've found the treasure room and sent in the calling card," Morgana declared proudly, "Now all we need to do is sneak in a snatch the treasure. This is what we've been working toward all this time, so let's stay sharp."

"I can't wait to see that smug look on Kamoshida's face wiped clean off!" Ryuji grinned.

"Honestly, I'm a bit surprised how natural all this feels already... Gathering at our secret spot after school to discuss our plans, heading into the Metaverse each day. I really don't want to stop after beating Kamoshida," Ann sighed.

"That's something we can discuss after we've beaten him," Morgana tried to refocus the discussion.

"Right," Ann nodded.

"Anything you have to add, Joker?" Morgana turned to their raven-haired leader.

"We need to be on guard. He's going to come at us with everything he's got. No holding back. This won't be easy."

It would be.

"And we can worry about what to do next after we've gotten the treasure. And seen what happens afterwards."

Ren paused for a moment. Was there anything else that needed to be considered. No. No one was going to try and kill him so that could be avoided. No need to stress about the fight itself since he had plenty of things he could pull out as needed. This was a fight where he was going to have the team showcase their teamwork and then slice him down in a hurry. Or at a fashionable pace.

"Check that you've get everything before we go in. We know the route and we know security. Hit him hard and fast and then get the hell out. We'll have dinner tomorrow to celebrate. Sound like a plan?"

Ren smirked at the three friends around him.

"If not, then move out thieves, we've got treasure to steal."

"Nope, lets go kick his ass," Ann flashed a pleased grin.

"Let's go!" Morgana nodded, and the group set out at once to the Palace.

Security was tighter, as expected, but even with the increased numbers the thieves found their way to the treasure room without too much trouble. The stage had been set, the treasure located... All that remained was for the players to take their places and the scene to unfold.

"Did you really think I would just let you stroll in here and steal my treasure?" Kamoshida's voice echoed in the halls, guards on either side of him as he approached.

"We're here to take you down, just like we promised," Ann shouted.

"You're gunna pay for all those people you abused," Ryuji chimed in, "You think you're a king, but you're just a piece of shit in fancy robes."

"I didn't do anything they didn't ask for," Shadow Kamoshida declared boldly, "I never even asked them to keep quiet. They did all of that on their own. They did it for themselves, for their own benefit. I worked hard to achieve everything I have in life... What would a bunch of thieves know about that?"

"Nobody asked to be abused, you creep," Ann growled.

"Enough of this... You clearly will not see reason," Shadow Kamoshida's form seemed to melt as he took on an even more hideous form...

"Good, let's get this done then."

Ren turned into Joker the second they were in the Metaverse. It was a subtle change in his stance and how he carried himself. Even more confidence and belief in what was going to happen. They moved through security with ease that even their first run through in his prior time couldn't imagine. He smirked more to himself than anything else as the King stood there so eager to prove himself. He became a monster before their very eyes once he was taunted by his team. Joker held out his gun and pointed it at the monster.

"Phantom Thieves. Let's knock this King down to size."

He fired a shot at the glass the creature was holding causing him to recoil from the sheer bravado. It was time to fight and he started moving. He didn't stick with a single Persona but alternated with multiple strong attacks keeping Kamoshida from getting in any offense while allowing Ann, Morgana, and Ryuji to land telling blows. There was only some holding back. He wanted to enjoying beating Kamoshida for a second time. The man bitterly deserved his comeuppance.

Back
Top Bottom