Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Specs for Profile Banners (and coding issues)

Egoiste!

Egoiste! Egoiste! Egoiste!
Hello. I have a few questions relating to Profile Banners, and some Coding Issues.

First can anyone can tell me what the specified formats/image sizes, and max filesize are for profile banners as well as how the various display formats are alerted? As in is the image resized, or cropped when viewed via a pop-up, or on mobile, and if so how?

Also I am having some serious formatting issues with BMR re-writing my BB code. It's starting to get extremely frustrating because I literally have to save code on a notepad, or write threads in wordpad and replace them lock-stock whenever I want to edit anything on the forums. Here is an example of what the coding should look like, and as you can see it displays fine. However the code I use to centre the spoiler tag while ensuring the contents of the spoiler are aligned to the margin:

Hello. I have a few questions relating to Profile Banners, and some Coding Issues.

First can anyone can tell me what the specified formats/image sizes, and max filesize are for profile banners as well as how the various display formats are alerted? As in is the image resized, or cropped when viewed via a pop-up, or on mobile, and if so how?

Also I am having some serious formatting issues with BMR re-writing my BB code. It's starting to get extremely frustrating because I literally have to save code on a notepad, or write threads in wordpad and replace them lock-stock whenever I want to edit anything on the forums. Here is an example of what the coding should look like, and as you can see it displays fine. However the code I use to centre the spoiler tag while ensuring the contents of the spoiler are aligned to the margin:

Code:
[center][spoiler=Introduction][left]Spoiler Text[/left][/spoiler][/center]

gets re-written into a mess (deleting the alignment tags) which ruins he formatting whenever I edit a post. I have the same issue with spacing bullet points in my RT thread itself as once again any time I edit the thread I removes the spaces between the bullet points.

Code:
[LIST][*]I try to make threads like this as nice as possible, and it is something of a hobby (blame my OCD) but don't take this to suggest I'm a fussy, or picky partner. Anyone who wishes to should feel free to contact me.[/LIST]
[LIST][*]I’m open to playing alongside a wide variety of partners either on the forums, or through private messages, and (on occasion) via some other medium. I favour forum games but it is by no means a deal-breaker if you don't.[/LIST]
[LIST][*]I'm extremely flexible regarding post length, and I generally seek to compliment my partner. If you do appreciate games with long, detailed posts you'll find I can certainly accommodate, but if you prefer a more punchy style with a more rapid pace I can do that just as happily.[/LIST]
[LIST][*]If you're looking for something like an F-list you'll find it [URL='http://here']here[/URL] (Coming Soon) and if you'd like writing samples most of my story requests include them. Just scroll down and follow the relevant links, as this thread only contains summaries of each request.[/LIST]

Is the code which comes out like this:

• I try to make threads like this as nice as possible, and it is something of a hobby (blame my OCD) but don't take this to suggest I'm a fussy, or picky partner. Anyone who wishes to should feel free to contact me.
  • I’m open to playing alongside a wide variety of partners either on the forums, or through private messages, and (on occasion) via some other medium. I favour forum games but it is by no means a deal-breaker if you don't.
  • I'm extremely flexible regarding post length, and I generally seek to compliment my partner. If you do appreciate games with long, detailed posts you'll find I can certainly accommodate, but if you prefer a more punchy style with a more rapid pace I can do that just as happily.
  • If you're looking for something like an F-list you'll find it here (Coming Soon) and if you'd like writing samples most of my story requests include them. Just scroll down and follow the relevant links, as this thread only contains summaries of each request.

But if I edit it, it comes out like this:

• I try to make threads like this as nice as possible, and it is something of a hobby (blame my OCD) but don't take this to suggest I'm a fussy, or picky partner. Anyone who wishes to should feel free to contact me.
  • I’m open to playing alongside a wide variety of partners either on the forums, or through private messages, and (on occasion) via some other medium. I favour forum games but it is by no means a deal-breaker if you don't.
  • I'm extremely flexible regarding post length, and I generally seek to compliment my partner. If you do appreciate games with long, detailed posts you'll find I can certainly accommodate, but if you prefer a more punchy style with a more rapid pace I can do that just as happily.
  • If you're looking for something like an F-list you'll find it here (Coming Soon) and if you'd like writing samples most of my story requests include them. Just scroll down and follow the relevant links, as this thread only contains summaries of each request.

These are only the most obvious, reoccurring issues but as a general rule BMR just seems to love messing with the formatting of my posts any time I edit them. I don't know if there is a way around this. However it's making me want to just put this content somewhere else and link it via the forums because trying to work with BMR's new system is a nightmare. I am also curious if using BB Code to indent paragraphs is the only way that can be done now. I've never dropped lines during dialogue, or when starting paragraphs as I find it artificially bloats the content (aside from just being grammatically bunk) but now BMR ignores any spaces/indentations. Am I really going to have to use BB code every single time I want to start a new paragraph?

written into a complete mess which ruins he formatting whenever I edit a post. I have the same issue with spacing bullet points in my RT thread itself as once again any time I edit the thread I removes the spaces between the bullet points.

These are only the most obvious, reoccurring issues but as a general rule BMR just seems to love messing with the formatting of my posts any time I edit them. I don't know if there is a way around this. However it's making me want to just put this content somewhere else and link it via the forums because trying to work with BMR's new system is a nightmare. I am also curious if using BB Code to indent paragraphs is the only way that can be done now. I've never dropped lines during dialogue, or when starting paragraphs as I find it artificially bloats the content (aside from just being grammatically bunk) but now BMR ignores any spaces/indentations. Am I really going to have to use BB code every single time I want to start a new paragraph?

Last edited:
Hi Egoiste!

I don't know about the banner specs, but I can try my best to help with the rest. I did notice that your closing tags are in the wrong order.

Code:
[center][spoiler=Introduction][left]CONTENT[/center][/spoiler][/left]

While the above format does make consecutive sense, it will not close the tag properly, and would explain why your code is being fudged when you edit.

Code:
[center][spoiler=Introduction][left]CONTENT[/left][/spoiler][/center]

^ This is the correct order. Rule of thumb: format tags should be closed in reverse.

toggle.jpg

If you are like me and use both BMR and BBcode to customize - then you are running the risk of double-coding. This happens because you are manually inputting code alongside BMR. You don't normally run into this problem if you are just using BMR to plug and play, or exclusively writing in code. As such, you'll want to check your work! Toggle BB code, and make sure everything is in order, spaced, closed. Otherwise the site is automatically going to try and fix it for you with mixed results 😅

Last edited:
I messed it up writing it out, since I was typing in manually, but this is copy/pasted from the hard-copies I use:

Code:

Again as you can see it works. The spoiler tag is centred, and the text within is aligned along the margin. However whenever I edit it, it transforms into this:

Code:
[Spoiler=Introduction][/spoiler]

In other words deleting the center/left alignment tags and messing up the format.

I messed it up writing it out, since I was typing in manually, but this is copy/pasted from the hard-copies I use:

Code:

Again as you can see it works. The spoiler tag is centred, and the text within is aligned along the margin. However whenever I edit it, it transforms into this:

Code:
[Spoiler=Introduction][/spoiler]

In other words deleting the center/left alignment tags and messing up the format.

I think I figured out what's going on with your missing code: the alignment tags are cancelling each other out. Center and Left are sisters and they don't like to be seen together at the same event, you feel me? 👀 Here is my proposed solution with their cousin, Align (two times removed).

Code:
[center][spoiler=Introduction][align=left]CONTENT[/align][/spoiler][/center]

Last edited:
I think I figured out what's going on with your missing code: the alignment tags are cancelling each other out. Center and Left are sisters and they don't like to be seen together at the same event, you feel me?

Strange that this code works on Elliquiy for five plus years without an issue, but your solution seems to work. Unfortunately it still loves to just randomly drop/delete lines for no reason.

Now that I can see your work 🕵️‍♀️... Try skipping the [*]. This should really only be used when you are commanding multiple breaks within a single tag. Since you're opening and closing it on the same bullet point - you do not need to instruct multiple lines.

Code:
[LIST]I try to make threads like this as nice as possible, and it is something of a hobby (blame my OCD) but don't take this to suggest I'm a fussy, or picky partner. Anyone who wishes to should feel free to contact me.[/LIST]
[LIST]I’m open to playing alongside a wide variety of partners either on the forums, or through private messages, and (on occasion) via some other medium. I favour forum games but it is by no means a deal-breaker if you don't.[/LIST]
[LIST]I'm extremely flexible regarding post length, and I generally seek to compliment my partner. If you do appreciate games with long, detailed posts you'll find I can certainly accommodate, but if you prefer a more punchy style with a more rapid pace I can do that just as happily.[/LIST]
[LIST]If you're looking for something like an F-list you'll find it [URL='http://here']here[/URL] (Coming Soon) and if you'd like writing samples most of my story requests include them. Just scroll down and follow the relevant links, as this thread only contains summaries of each request.[/LIST]

Last edited:
Same issue, whether I delete them or not. Whenever I edit, the spaces disappear. Also just to restate so it isn't forgotten the most important issue here is details about profile banners. I have work-arounds for the coding stuff. Not so much for making graphics when I have to guess what their varying specs are. It's fine with a static image like I have now because cropping and changes don't take long but I want to replace it with an animation. Which would take a long time to mess around with if I have to do this via trial and effor.

Last edited:
Same issue, whether I delete them or not. Whenever I edit, the spaces disappear. Also just to restate so it isn't forgotten the most important issue here is details about profile banners. I have work-arounds for the coding stuff. Not so much for making graphics when I have to guess what their varying specs are. It's fine with a static image like I have now because cropping and changes don't take long but I want to replace it with an animation. Which would take a long time to mess around with if I have to do this via trial and effor.

Looks like paragraphing in [LIST][/LIST] is not supported BBcode.

😎 So here's a weird little by-pass for you,

Code:
[LIST][*]I try to make threads like this as nice as possible, and it is something of a hobby (blame my OCD) but don't take this to suggest I'm a fussy, or picky partner. Anyone who wishes to should feel free to contact me.
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[*]I’m open to playing alongside a wide variety of partners either on the forums, or through private messages, and (on occasion) via some other medium. I favour forum games but it is by no means a deal-breaker if you don't.
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[*]I'm extremely flexible regarding post length, and I generally seek to compliment my partner. If you do appreciate games with long, detailed posts you'll find I can certainly accommodate, but if you prefer a more punchy style with a more rapid pace I can do that just as happily.
[INDENT][/INDENT]
[*]If you're looking for something like an F-list you'll find it [URL='http://here']here[/URL] (Coming Soon) and if you'd like writing samples most of my story requests include them. Just scroll down and follow the relevant links, as this thread only contains summaries of each request.[/LIST]

Last edited:
Thank you kindly for all the help. That seems to work, and survives edits. I plan to use a similar format in another thread so it should help out there.

Now I just need someone to give me the specs on banner images.

SRsm.gif

You're welcome. I am useless for the other questions, but I wish you luck!

Last edited:
@Retrojapan Thanks a lot for the help.

@Egoiste! Profile banners will have four different sizes for whether you're viewing the profile or hovering over it (the popup) and whether you're on PC or mobile. I can tell you that 1200 is the maximum width in all these four dimensions, and 600 is the maximum height. Ergo, if you use 1200x600 you won't have any stretching.

I recommend putting your focal point near the top of the banner (and position the banner to cover it). The area in the bottom will get cropped on PCs, so avoid placing the subject/focal point/text in there.

I've been meaning to make a chart to explain it better with numbers and safe areas, but it will be messy with how drastic the four sizes are. I recommend following the basic design parameters I've explained and experiment a bit until you get it right. Try to view the four versions when you try it on.

Hope that helps.

1200x600? My banner on my PC shows up 1400x250 (roughly) on the main page. That would tend to suggest 1200 is going to be stretched. Is there any cropping/display change (particularly ratio-wise) in the other variations?

I don't understand what you mean by using the banner to cover the focal point of the banner.

I mean I just need to know what the exact specs are in terms of display dimensions, namely the ratios in pixels, for the mobile preview, main page, pc preview, and main page, and whether or not the ratios change from version to version.

Let me explain now that I'm on my PC instead of my phone.

The width won't ever get cropped/chopped. The site will force it to be 1280 (I said 1200 earlier, my bad). So if your width is less, it will stretch it up to 1280. If your width is higher, it will compress it down to 1280px. It will preserve the ratio, so the height will change accordingly.

The shown height is the tricky part. First of all, on PC if you're on your profile page, it will show roughly 250px. Which 250 pixels? It depends on how you position your profile banner when you upload it. Now in the popup it's a bigger height. On mobile, its even bigger for both popup and in-profile. I can't tell the exact heights for each version but It will max out at around 550-600 (I haven't yet tested it) but 600px should be safe to design around.

If you position your banner in the middle of the given space, the visible area will expand from both the top and the bottom when viewed on mobile. This is why its easier, design-wise, to have the focal point in the top of the banner, so that you position the visible area to be the top, and then it only expands on one direction when viewed on mobile - expands down. The bottom half of the banner should then ideally not have any important details like text.

I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't, just await the chart I plan to make. It'll require some testing from me so it will take a few days at the least.

No, that makes perfect sense. I get the basic formula from YouTube banners. I just need the dimensions. Do the banners support transparent .PNGs? And my final question is that my banner is showing up as 1400x250 (roughly) on my main page. Nowhere near 1200 in width. Could this be due to resolution?

I get the basic formula from YouTube banners.
Yes. YouTube & Twitch use something similar.

Do the banners support transparent .PNGs?
Yes.

And my final question is that my banner is showing up as 1400x250 (roughly) on my main page. Nowhere near 1200 in width. Could this be due to resolution?
No. Your monitor's resolution is irrelevant. I use a 2K monitor and I have it as 1280x250.

Right click on your banner in your profile and click "View Background Image" and it will show you the image that BMR created, which is a compressed version (1280px width) of your banner. (Click).

Then it must be getting stretched out when it displays on my homepage at full-screen width:

vSxqHAS.jpg

It gets taller and narrower if I minimise the screen and make it smaller, but at full screen it's almost 1500 pixels across. It's a very weird/limiting setup.

It's fine. Honestly, the way it works means the exact dimensions aren't super important.

Back
Top Bottom