Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Do you consider RP an art?

Cantarella

уσυ'νє вєєη ρσιѕσηє∂
This is something that has been on my mind a lot these days, so bear with me as I try to articulate it.

To put it simply: is RP an art akin to other creative efforts like painting and more conventional writing? What about erotic writing, which may be considered, by some, to be more low-brow? I've been struggling a lot with this, as I have entirely moved away from my writing pursuits aside from writing RP. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I have been recently praised for my writing. Maybe it's a touch of me being my own worst critic (as most of us are), but I never considered my RP writings to be "art", mostly because it's such a collaborative effort and only about half of the onus falls upon me to keep the narrative flowing, to keep up the imagery. Overall, I would also describe myself as a chameleon writer. I give in return what I get in terms of quality and length, so as not to overwhelm anyone.

So, what do you think, BMR? Is RP an art?

I've always been of the idea that art is, at the bottom line, human expression. To write is to express yourself.

It is indeed true that RP is a collaborative effort, made whole by adding two or more pieces together, but then isn't doubly artistic then? It's like music, or a song. One person may have written the lyrics, another may have composed the music to go along with those lyrics. Movies, too, are collaborative in nature. It's art on the director's part, art on the screenwriter's part and art on the actor's part. Without all the pieces coming together, I don't believe we would get the full experience, not even close to it.

Paintings and books are often solitary works, yes, but just because something is made by two or more people, I don't believe it should stop constituting as art.

'Art' tends to be hit with the one person constraint that raison mentioned. Take that out and it's basically no different to me. I think the heart that goes into it is pretty important (lazily written vs serious efforts or even how long it runs), but that would turn into a discussion of what art is... that's one big can of worms.

I think it depends really and some of it depends on the individual. I refuse to believe for example that splattering a canvas with paint is art. Just as two people just engaging in some simple sexually based RP is "art" and I'm not being snobby. I too have enjoyed more simple erotic based RP's.

In short if anything and everything is art than nothing is art.

I think it depends on your motivation, really. Art is to express, but RP can also be done just for the sake of enjoyment. I wouldn't consider what I write to be art, even if I write it well, because I'm not trying to express something clever or interesting. I'm just trying to destress and have fun. Thinking of my stuff as art would hence be kind of pointless, because that's not what I'm trying to make. I do use RP to train my writing skills for when I do want to 'make art', though. And there are sometimes when I write something in RPs that I do consider to be artful in nature, although it is very rare. Like an individual post that expresses something really well. I find RP'ing to be very limiting, artistically speaking, because you have to make people happy. Art doesn't aim just to please. Pleasing is a part of it, but it is but one brush. Anger, trauma, depression, anxiety, insecurities, envy, there are so many brushes that I just never use when I RP, because they don't fit most people's taste, nor the general purpose of enjoyment. As of such, I can't in good faith consider what I write here to be art, even if there's nothing that says it can't be art.

Although I'm not going to impose my views of what art is to me on others. It is highly subjective!

My approach is to think of my RPs as a co-authored story. This makes it a form of creative writing in my eyes, which is considered art. I understand some people think of it as a game or some elevated form of sexting which may prevent them from seeing it as an artistic endeavour.

Writing is an art, so unless it's pure one liners and no effort to write, it is

Not to be that person, but what even is art, anyway?

But to give a more serious answer, no not really. Elements of RP can certainly be artistic and literary, but in my mind, RPing is more like a game, less like an artistic pursuit.

My approach is to think of my RPs as a co-authored story. This makes it a form of creative writing in my eyes, which is considered art. I understand some people think of it as a game or some elevated form of sexting which may prevent them from seeing it as an artistic endeavour.
That's what I think of it as well! People usually see RPing as being solely constituted by ERPing instead of it being about...well, anything you can think of. It allows writers to expand on their imagination and create various worlds and characters that keep them engaged with their motivations and respective developments. Though I personally view it as less art in the sense of the artistic value being the final purpose and more of an opportunity to develop your skills. Creative writing is creative writing no matter how you slice it, since you can include many genres and styles, as well as in-universe elements such as poetry and lore you share and create with your partner.

Writing can be art. I think good RP falls into that category. Whether or not you can get into Flow with your partner is something I consider a qualifier for writing 'art RP'.

I would say RP has the potential to be art or artistic at least, just the same as writing does as many others have already pointed out. However, I think an important aspect of art is to have an audience. There is nothing wrong with keeping a personal project that you made for yourself, but unless it can be witnessed by an outside perspective it can't be considered art as I feel what makes art what it is relies on outside and social perspectives. It would be pretty narscassitic as a creator to declare your own creation a masterpiece, its reliant on others to do that.

I would say RP has the potential to be art or artistic at least, just the same as writing does as many others have already pointed out. However, I think an important aspect of art is to have an audience. There is nothing wrong with keeping a personal project that you made for yourself, but unless it can be witnessed by an outside perspective it can't be considered art as I feel what makes art what it is relies on outside and social perspectives. It would be pretty narscassitic as a creator to declare your own creation a masterpiece, its reliant on others to do that.
Likewise art or a story/literature/fiction whatever you want to it has to be comprehensible to someone who picks it up and starts reading it. A lot of RP's are worked out in private and then perhaps played on a thread. Lots of factors are never explained because it is of course a game between the two players. Some RP's are more detailed of course but generally, I doubt many people write a RP with the intention of a wider audience.

Sure. Art is defined, more or less, as the expression of creativity. You thought it, you actualized it, you put it out into the world. That's art.

Now, is it moving art, or thought provoking? Well made or labor intensive? Who knows. For sure can call it Art though.

Sure. Art is defined, more or less, as the expression of creativity. You thought it, you actualized it, you put it out into the world. That's art.

Now, is it moving art, or thought provoking? Well made or labor intensive? Who knows. For sure can call it Art though.
I think you can ask that question about many forms of art. In my country, local councils spend millions on outdoor sculptures, and the only thought it provokes is, who signs off on this crap.

Is 50 shades moving? Is it well made? Not really, yet it is considered art.

In the end, value, like beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

imo RP and ERP are art forms. And like in any art form, some pieces are better than others, and tastes will differ.

I think you can ask that question about many forms of art. In my country, local councils spend millions on outdoor sculptures, and the only thought it provokes is, who signs off on this crap.

Is 50 shades moving? Is it well made? Not really, yet it is considered art.

In the end, value, like beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

imo RP and ERP are art forms. And like in any art form, some pieces are better than others, and tastes will differ.
Definitely. If simply creating something by slapping some paint or words or whatever together is art than nothing is art.

I am also cynical when the creator says something like "It is a statement about X" and you look at it and think what a heap of shit. Which applies to a lot of a the crap councils will fund to have made.

Depends how you look at it. Like above, what people see is pretty diverse. I think a lot of what's commonly accepted is purely crowd rule turned into de-juro and the real trick is when you have a stranger with no dispositions whatsoever.

I'd rather not compare my smut-fueled adventures to a 500 hour painting that looks quite nice (or maybe not), but on some level I very well could ^.^ It's all effort and depending on the content it might have come from a similar place...

I view rps more like games. Like, despite more writing involved, I see them as very similar to a DnD game. Despite the effort, the worldbuilding, and the craft that goes into making a board and map, etc. I wouldn't call DnD "art". I would call it a game or creative outlet.

It's not necessarily like a high or low mindset, as if something is better than something else. I don't consider all art to be elevated, for example. It's more a definitions thing. Just because there is creative energy involved in writing an rp, doesn't automatically make it art. I think the collaborative aspect of rp and the goal of an rp(the "playing" in its design) make it more a game than a piece of art.

Like a lot of things, I think it's subjective. It certainly fits the broader definitions of being art, but is that enough to really call it art? A pencil fits the definitions of being a deadly weapon, but we aren't shutting down schools here yet so I don' think that's the only criteria.

I think it comes down to the writers and the intention. Some roleplays I definitely wouldn't call artistic, they truly are made just for the horny folk, I've done them myself, but then there are those that are genuinely more interested in creating a new world. It doesn't even have to be very extensive writing, but when that much thought and care go into the characters, the settings, the plotline and it feels like you've created, or are reading, something that evokes those smiles, that laughter and wonder and all the negative emotions that go side by side with them, how can we not say that's art?

Despite the effort, the worldbuilding, and the craft that goes into making a board and map, etc. I wouldn't call DnD "art". I would call it a game or creative outlet.
Sure, but not all Roleplays operate the same as a tabletop game. Some "roleplays" fit so loosely into the category that they border with just plain ol' storytelling/writing with the creative input of another writer.
I consider the few projects I've kept close to my heart to be a story that was told with another person and almost nothing like what some would consider a traditional roleplay. There's compromise and adjustment made for the greater good of the story while factors like personal want or power fantasy take a far back seat.

It's why I prefer the term collaborative storytelling/writing. It's not so different than a Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman collab. And I'd be hard pressed to call what a writer (published or not) does anything but an artform.

Sure, but not all Roleplays operate the same as a tabletop game. Some "roleplays" fit so loosely into the category that they border with just plain ol' storytelling/writing with the creative input of another writer.
I consider the few projects I've kept close to my heart to be a story that was told with another person and almost nothing like what some would consider a traditional roleplay. There's compromise and adjustment made for the greater good of the story while factors like personal want or power fantasy take a far back seat.

It's why I prefer the term collaborative storytelling/writing. It's not so different than a Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman collab. And I'd be hard pressed to call what a writer (published or not) does anything but an artform.
It's not the same as writing a story though because you're writing piece by piece for the validation of one specific audience. Not only that but most rp writers don't share characters, nor do they share main characters. You're each playing an individual role and the motivation of the back and forth is what makes it more game-like than genuine storytelling. It's like tennis where the goal is keeping the ball in play for as long as possible.

Do you really think when two authors collaborate on writing a novel together that they're doing so the way that role-players do? As in, "these are the character(s) I control and these are the ones you control" and writing it by character reaction piece by piece? Or do you think they write it like they would write a story by themselves, except sharing the outline and making input together? When two authors collaborate, they're not playing roles inside the story, nor is the immersion into a role the goal. And they're writing for the specific purpose of making a story that can be marketed to and consumed by the public.

I would argue that writing solo and writing for publishing is as different from role-playing as play-by-post is different from DnD. I would also like to reiterate that I'm not trying to diminish the creativity and the effort that goes into rp writing. I'm saying the goals are different.

It seems you're conflating personal or anecdotal sources as to how this medium works. How I think another person goes about a story is irrelevant. If most people aren't open to character sharing and story cooperation then the people who are still exist and still look to explore an idea. On this site. Maybe at this very moment. Your understanding of how a writer writes is and will only ever be your own interpretation.

Character sharing is done. Coordinated pairings (as in, this would probably work best with this type of character/situation/event) are done. Shared stories are created and are done up to the parameters you've set above. Ergo, they are writers collaborating on a story and immersion into any one character (versus the plot as a whole) is incidental to the process and human emotion. Now, because that plot-thrill is only intended for two people (or whatever subsequent readerbase they generate on the forums) vs true mass consumption, also seems immaterial to the point.

To suggest two established writers set out only to write a story for their readers/money suggests they have no passion or true want to make a good story. I don't believe that. And I've never found it to be the case with those few I have met who share my same method.

- sidebar : as to not distract too heavily from the original question, we can move this to a PM if ya like.

I see duets in music as an art form. I see writing as an art form. I see games as an art form. I've expressed myself - as has my DM and the other players - artistically through tabletops (homebrew or not, every DM, at least, every (subjective, imo) good DM, adds their own spin to even a module so that it's different). So... yes, bottom line, for me, RPing is art. Erotica is art. Hell, even downright dirty smut can be art to me.

Keep in mind this is /to me/. You're asking for personal, subjective opinions, right? This is mine, and it's not going to change. Now, if we want to discuss /will these things ever be seen as art/? That's... a different kettle of fish, one I'd rather not personally get into it as I'm certainly not high-minded enough for that.

What is art? Again, that's a little too high-minded for my dumb bumpkin ass. But if I was forced to answer? Art is what anyone who is observing it thinks is art.

A painting sits in a gallery.
Person A: This is art to me.
Person B: This is not art to me.
Person C: This is art to everyone.
Person D: This can't be art to anyone.

Person C and D are wro - er, well, let me just say that, person C and D are people I wouldn't get along with. Person A and B, however, both have very good points (I'd say correct but ehn). Your personal reaction and relationship with art is, in the end, what matters to you, and no one can or should take that away from you.

Lately, I see questions like this, and I go through all of the arguments I've already seen out there all over again and in an instant. I'm at the point in my thinking where I don't think art is a worthwhile descriptor for anything. All of human endeavor can be argued to be art at this point. If everything is art, then nothing is art. The term holds no useful meaning. We may as well just use the words we've already given to things and use art like an adjective. Use it for things an individual finds to be "art". If someone finds that this allows things to be considered art that shouldn't be, well that's really just their opinion.

Back
Top Bottom