Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Help for a Setting for RP and Stories?

MyttyDW

Awoo?
Hey there. I'm going to keep this short so I don't get overwhelmed. I made an interest check (HERE) for an RP that I want to do in a setting I made a year or so ago (everything I have is in that thread)

So... I wanted some help. I wanted to know how I can make this a more appealing setting, without adding humans or other more standard races. I want to know where I messed up, or if it's just impatience getting to me, or what? I also just want to discuss the setting...

I'm also working on more info for each race, but it's a lot of work and heavily WIP (I don't even have one done yet, but I have some done on one)

And I have an in-progress story including one of the races...

First of all, love how expansive and in-depth your world is! Pretty impressive.

But I do think there may be a few reasons why it isn't hooking as many people as you'd like:
  1. Editing and formatting. This is a simple one but when you have as much text as you do, it's crucial. Your "deeper world info" section is a pretty intimidating wall of text. Consider organizing it with headers, like "environment," "magic," or "factions" etc so it's easier to approach. Also, left justify. Centre-justified text is just straight up harder to read, and should only be used for emphasis and organizing, not body text.

2. Consider reworking your into paragraph to put it into simpler terms, without the world-building yet. What's the gist of what you want? A, sexy swashbuckling adventure, where characters develop deep relationships and feelings along the way? A moody, gritty exploration to unravel the mysteries of the weird and the ancient?

3. You give a very thorough overview of your setting, and a brief synopsis of the sort of plot you have in mind, but almost no roleplay information. Are you playing a character or are you GMing? How many characters will you want your partner need to play? Discord, thread, PM? Daily responses, or a more casual pace? What kind of pairings/kinks are you looking for, or is this a non-sexual RP?

4. You've built so much, it's a pretty steep learning curve for anyone who might want to approach. That's just the double-edged sword of original settings so I'm not quite sure how you could make it more accessible, except perhaps by noting that you're open to people bringing their own ideas (if you are indeed open to that).

5. You've already acknowledged this, but using exclusively furry/monster races precludes a lot of people right off the bat.
My two cents!

Editing and formatting. This is a simple one but when you have as much text as you do, it's crucial. Your "deeper world info" section is a pretty intimidating wall of text. Consider organizing it with headers, like "environment," "magic," or "factions" etc so it's easier to approach. Also, left justify. Centre-justified text is just straight up harder to read, and should only be used for emphasis and organizing, not body text.
That's fair. I wrote this all in 2019, and haven't given it a look over since. Doesn't sound like the content is the issue though.

Consider reworking your into paragraph to put it into simpler terms, without the world-building yet. What's the gist of what you want? A, sexy swashbuckling adventure, where characters develop deep relationships and feelings along the way? A moody, gritty exploration to unravel the mysteries of the weird and the ancient?
So focus more on the aspects of the RP, rather than adding anything about the world?

You give a very thorough overview of your setting, and a brief synopsis of the sort of plot you have in mind, but almost no roleplay information. Are you playing a character or are you GMing? How many characters will you want your partner need to play? Discord, thread, PM? Daily responses, or a more casual pace? What kind of pairings/kinks are you looking for, or is this a non-sexual RP?
Some of these I feel are not applicable, as I was hoping for a group, but I understand.

You've built so much, it's a pretty steep learning curve for anyone who might want to approach. That's just the double-edged sword of original settings so I'm not quite sure how you could make it more accessible, except perhaps by noting that you're open to people bringing their own ideas (if you are indeed open to that).
The issue with this is that I already have all 24 races built to a degree. I love adding player ideas, but I couldn't make more races I feel.

You've already acknowledged this, but using exclusively furry/monster races precludes a lot of people right off the bat.
If I may ask for a thought on this: What if I allow for humans? Like, anyone who wants to be a human is found in a cryopod room kinda deal?

Ah, I completely missed that your thread is in the group/freeform section. So yes, disregard some of what I wrote.

But in general, yes, focusing more on what the RP is going to be like is probably the biggest "missing piece" IMO. As for adding humans, it may very well help, though it still means the majority of the world's denizens will be non-humans (and in many cases, very non-human), so you may still find your audience somewhat limited, if indeed this is meant to be an erotic RP.

Ah, I completely missed that your thread is in the group/freeform section. So yes, disregard some of what I wrote.

But in general, yes, focusing more on what the RP is going to be like is probably the biggest "missing piece" IMO. As for adding humans, it may very well help, though it still means the majority of the world's denizens will be non-humans (and in many cases, very non-human), so you may still find your audience somewhat limited, if indeed this is meant to be an erotic RP.
Thank you for your help :)

I edited the thread and I hope it helped enhance it!

Back
Top Bottom