Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Teamwork and Monsters in the World of Forces

MyttyDW

Awoo?
Short World and Plot Summary:

In this world, there are geological regions that each have unique ecosystems; flora and fauna, foodchains, the works. And then, there are the forces: Massive creatures, living embodiments of nature. Each force has an area of influence — which can overlap with another — and within this sphere the climate shifts dramatically. Endless rains, biting cold, blazing heat, and constant winds are some of the possibilities that a force may bring. The large flora and dangerous fauna of every region is always quick to change, to adapt to the prevailing force. Their features and abilities change to suit the weather.

Humanoids live in a single, massive walled city found at the center of the regional convergence. From there they can reach any region, but they are never touched by the forces. Most humanoids will never leave the city, and many won't see anything more than the district of their birth — so large is the city. But others will see it all: those known as Hunters. One does not choose to become a hunter, the path chooses them. It begins with an empathy beyond the normal for the wild creatures who also call the city home, those that are considered harmless enough to be called friendly. Eventually they will find their way to the Citadel, where they find the weapon that calls to them, and begin to train.

Hunters train so as to venture into the regions, to slay the huge, deadly monsters and carve materials from them and flora. The materials are used to create better gear, but also given to the city to keep everyone fed, clothed, and content. But to be a hunter is not only to slay. For on a hunter's first hunt, a monster will seek them out. Then begins a battle. Either the beast will submit to the hunter, or the hunter will die. Should the hunter survive, the beast will be their companion for life — only rarely in stables rather than by their side in the field or the wide streets of the city.

The players will be hunters: Newborn, about to venture into their first region where they will find and bond with their companion. From there, this team will do what is necessary to further the survival of the city.

Hello, call me Mythy! The above is a setting idea that's popped to mind a few times, so I thought I'd give it a try here! I'm looking for fun, friendly, and communicative people to enjoy the plot with! I'm going to use a checklist to try and organize my thoughts...​

Game:
  • Who is the RP open to?
-- Anyone, of course! As long as you are respectful and engaged, I won't discriminate!
  • Short Summary of Player Roles and General Story/Plot.
-- See above! Players will be new hunters, growing with one another and their companion beast!
  • Setting.
-- See above! I'm hoping to have something a bit more light-hearted and fun!
  • Plot Outline.
-- Mostly sandbox with objectives.
  • Game Pacing.
-- One post a week per, hopefully. More would be cool!
  • How much sexual activity is likely to occur or expected, if any?
-- None is expected, and if characters gain a relationship I will ask that sexual activity be taken to PMs, only so as to keep the group thread moving. :)
  • Whether tagging will be used or not.
-- I will ask that you tag other PCs (and me, in the case of my character and NPCs) at the beginning of your post.

Example:
--Tags--

--Post text--

Game Master Info / GM(s) Participation Level (If/where applicable)
  • Will there be a Co-GM?
-- Most Likely not
  • How guided will the play be(sandbox, directed etc)?
-- Semi-guided, with objectives.
  • What extent will players be allowed to create/use environment or setting details?
-- As long as it is in line with what I have added, players can create some details to spice up their posts!
  • How NPC's will be handled. (If any) - (By GM and/or players, and what expectations)
-- Players can utilize NPCs of their own creation in posts, and will be expected to have them react to other players. GM NPCs and other player's NPCs are not to be controlled without the permission of the creator, just like PCs
  • How active will the GM be?
-- I'll try to be around most of the time
  • Will there be an OOC thread? (expectations of thread usage)
-- Yes, I will have an OOC thread for questions and chatting (Try and keep it close to the RP or related topics)
  • How to contact/approach GM with questions? (use OOC thread, direct PM, etc...)
-- OOC thread would be fine, though if it is a sensitive or secret question, PM is also fine!
  • How will decisions be resolved?
-- If players cannot decide on their own, I will go with majority rule. If there is no majority, I will make a decision.
  • Will PvP be allowed (if applicable)?
-- Only contests, possibly fistfights. No trying to kill one another.

Additional:
  • A note to Respect Other players (Offs etc..)
-- Please just respect other players, and me. It saps fun away quickly when there is a lack of respect
  • Player Participation Expectations. (Posts/week expected. Methods for reporting a possible absence/The method used to remove drop-outs from the game.)
-- One post a week minimum, move the conversation or story forward. Please let me know if you need to take a break or leave. OOC participation encouraged!
  • Discuss how new players will be brought into the game (if the game is already running.)
-- It will depend on the situation!
  • What Writing style/POV. (Third person, first person, past, present, omniscient, etc...)
-- Third person past limited, please!

I really like this story concept and setting, and the structure seems really thought out as well! Before I officially "raise my hand" though, I'd love to get just a bit more clarification on the subject of companion beasts (which is the most interesting part of this setup, imo):

1. Is a character's companion beast determined by you, as GM, and the player will find out their beast IC through the course of the game? Or as the players create characters should they already have a companion beast in mind, and plan to encounter it on the first "mission", so to speak?

2. If players are responsible for creating their own beasts for their characters, is there a set list of "allowable" creatures? Or should players be ready to create a monster from scratch?

1. Is a character's companion beast determined by you, as GM, and the player will find out their beast IC through the course of the game? Or as the players create characters should they already have a companion beast in mind, and plan to encounter it on the first "mission", so to speak?
The player will create their own companion beast at character creation, and will meet it during the first "mission" where the beasts seek out the player team no matter what because of mystical instinct things.

2. If players are responsible for creating their own beasts for their characters, is there a set list of "allowable" creatures? Or should players be ready to create a monster from scratch?
Players are allowed to use inspiration or make one from scratch. I will say that the size is generally smaller than the bigger Monster Hunter targets, but large enough to be used as mounts (riding as in to travel, you dirty-mindeds!). Also, no true flight. Gliding is okay, but flight would be a bit too much of an advantage IMO

Back
Top Bottom