Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Marked by the Wild [ Poeticile & Andro ]

Andronica

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'entrate.
"We have lost much... but there is hope," murmured Dreamer Iwen. Despite his revered title he did not look particularly old even by kal'dorei standards.

He was swathed in earthy hued robes of forest green with silver trim that had been tossed over his shoulder, exposing a body of coiled muscle borne from a few hundred years of his vigil over the forests of Ashenvale. The esteemed druid's face was contorted slightly as he looked over a circular, carved stone table, and he rubbed his stubble lined chin a bit roughly in exasperation. Upon the table several motes of radiant light floated above key points that appeared to be linked to locations matching the surrounding area. Iwen moved his hand over the surface and the stone shifted, changing from grey-green in hue to sand stone under his fingertips. His finger jutted to one faintly buzzing mote in particular.

"Here."

"You are certain their work is still active, that we have time to advance?" his brother Nylaeus asked. They looked nearly identical if not for Nylaeus' dark indigo hair that was akin to the starry night sky, whereas his brother was of a lighter complexion. Both brothers hovered over the map and scrutinized it for a moment longer until Iwen let out a small sound of affirmation.

"Yes, I can feel it. Send your swiftest and most trusted druid to scout the area. We have to ensure they do not infect the land further, brother." Iwen pushed off the edge of the stone table and the dancing motes went dark, fading to reveal naught but cold carved stone. He placed his hand on his brother's shoulder and the two shared a nod.

"I know one who is swift enough. She will see it done, Iwen," Nylaeus replied then turned on his heel. He left behind the lofty room of the Dreamer's home situated on a heavily forested hill between Satyrnaar and Raynewood. Much was at stake and time was of the essence...

Kiana Dawnsinger was summoned immediately and given her task, much to the murmurs and elation of her brother and sister druids. After some preparation she departed for the southern location secreted to her by Nylaeus, trusting the guise of Elune's dusky cloak to keep her hidden from the invading Horde forces.

It took her less than a half day, as anticipated. Night was fast approaching by the time Kiana reached the southern border on unnaturally quick feet which she kept bare to feel the shifting of the earth under her. Her sleek elven body, a mixture of lean musculature and womanly curves that many kal'dorei women were blessed with, made quick work of slipping into the shadows. On her body she wore a the garb of the sentinels: a short mooncloth tunic beneath a hardened leather cuirass, absent the finery of their Darnassian gauntlets and greaves. The outfit was fashioned to her likeness perfectly - nearly a second skin.

Dark orange and purple streaks lashed the horizon between the peaks of Ashenvale's ethereal treetops and the Stonetalon Mountains. She took a pause for a moment in the breadth of an ancient oak to catch her breath. Kiana's angular pale rose coloured face tipped up and her silver eyes peered at the sky swirling with firelight and distant stars - caught between two worlds. Her dark brows bumped slightly into a furrow of determination to cut the next attack at the quick. She felt a tightness in her chest, a mixture of elation and caution. She longed to see their world restored to its former glory, towering and lush in the distance where now tainted fissures and misshapen fauna remained.

A small smile formed on her full lips as Elune seemed to sense her strife, and offered respite in a warm breeze that ruffled her long white hair. It teased her face and brought with it the scent of burning fragrant herbs from a distant tauren settlement. Like a gentle caress urging her onward, Kiana leaned forward as her body became that of a shadow cat.

She began to run the last leg of her journey toward the suspected heart of Ashenvale's corruption - but acrid smoke in the distance caught her attention. She veered from her path slightly and took to hiding herself in stealth until she came upon the sight of a small sentinel camp, far between any of the other friendly outposts in the forest. There were three sleek sentinels she could see surrounding a modest fire. Then, directly opposite her line of sight was a fourth figure: far too bulky to be that of a night elf warrior.

Concerned the fire would cause them trouble that night, Kiana moved quickly toward their small camp. Dry leaves crunched faintly underfoot and set one of the sentinels on edge with her moonglaive pivoted into the darkness. Though the druid's rosy hands came out to lower the weapon as she approached clad in mooncloth again, absent her dark fur.

"Sisters," she greeted them. At once the other sentinels relaxed visibly.

"I didn't know they were sending more druids to the front," said Sura, the one with dark teal hair who brandished the weapon. Kiana shook her head.

"I'm on other business, but your light caught my attention. The Horde has assassins lurking about... where is the rest of your hunt party?" she asked. It garnered a snicker from another kal'dorei sitting by the fire. She looked amused despite the tiredness behind her pale eyes and jutted her head toward the cage.

"We are the only ones. Rest assured, sister, the Horde poses little threat to us. Just two nights ago we caught this one here." She raised her glaive and raked it across the makeshift cage bars. Curiously, Kiana stepped forward to get a better look. The firelight whorled around tossing shadows and gold light haphazardly 'til it flashed over an orc's dark grey-green skin.

Sura sensed her surprise and answered first. "It claims to be a member of the Earthen Ring. We're departing for Stardust Spire at first light."

From across the fire it became easier to see the mass of the beast in question. The orc was imposing in size and character, but the sentinels didn't seem daunted at all by this despite their measures to keep him secure even against three skilled huntresses like themselves. With the wolf pelt across his shoulder and the exposed green-grey scarred musculature, to Kiana he looked as powerful as raw nature itself. Despite the apparent mild fascination, the night elf druid didn't approach the cage directly. She remained a bit guarded in his presence.

Then he spoke, causing her silver eyes to widen a bit as his well formed common tongue unleashed itself. What he said was... worrisome. Sura noticed the druid's brow furrow at the mention of the Earthen Ring and interjected where his words were clearly directed at Kiana.

"He said that before, too, when we captured him." The sentinel tossed a sneer in the orc's direction to dismiss his claim, just like she did when awoke the first time in bondage and tried to explain himself.

Although Kiana was perhaps less jaded and the similarity of his task intrigued her. It could mean one of two things: that he was indeed telling the truth and ought to be released, or that he was connected intimately to the very workings she was attempting to scout and stop, and this was more like a carefully laid trap to ensnare her before progress could be made. Surely even the Horde was forward thinking enough to send decoys and spies in many forms... but would they dare besmirch the name of the Earthen Ring?

"That is a very bold claim," Kiana responded at last. She stepped forward and canted her head to get a better look at the orc. Slowly she came to take a knee in front of the makeshift cage as her roving eyes analyzed him. Before the fire her silhouette was illuminated through the translucent mooncloth that clung to her athletic body. "Though it is not a claim I would risk disregarding in such a perilous time. You will come with me and prove yourself truthful." came her eventual answer.

Now it was Sura's turn to show surprise. Her violet brow shot up and she stalked over to the cage where Kiana crouched. The druid rose to meet her.

"You cannot be serious, sister!" Sura hissed quietly this time in their native Darnassian. Kiana merely nodded. "And what if he kills you the moment your back is turned?"

"Does he have any weapons?" Kiana asked. Another sentinel across the fire with mossy green hair and deep indigo skin stood up, motioning to the pack where said weapons were kept a safe distance from the orc. "Give his belongings to me." She offered Sura a glance through her periphery and added, "I won't let him out of my sight until I hear the Farseer confirm it. But I cannot waste these moments spurning aid. Entrust him to me, sister. Please."

The look on the elder sentinel's face maintained a level of calm reserve despite the flustered emotions she felt. Then she let out a long breath and jutted her chin to the sentinel guarding the orc's cage.

"Let him out. But keep your glaive on him until they depart."

Back
Top Bottom