Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

General dumb question

steverogerswhore

Meteorite
So, I'm by no means new to roleplaying, but I am new to being on rp forums. What is the general rule of thumb for literacy categories? And in sentence #, how long are those typically?

It varies based on personal preference. ^^ You will find some are happy with a few sentences, others want at least two paragraphs and others want a novella. Best bet is to just talk to your partners or state your personal preference if making a request thread.

My experience is a few decent paragraphs on average, above or below that depending on muse. But at the end of the day, Siren's advice applies.

Speed's another thing you might wonder about. That's also a wide range. I'm a very slow poster, many here prefer longer posting sessions. That detail is important as well if you have expectations, and also tends to influence the literacy you see. There's no 'aha' for length and detail from the site tags or sections, so you can only go by post history, a writing sample or an impression you ask for or get from the request thread you find.

For me it's context. If I'm setting up a scene, and describing the environment, I can easily write 5 or 6 meaty paragraphs. But if I'm just writing dialogue, then I write less. Plus it depends on what I'm getting from my partner in most cases.

'Literacy' is subjective. I see some people use it for +2 paragraphs and others for +1000 words. But... it literally means ability to read and write. I don't use it as a gauge because of that, so I just state my min/max/average for myself and what I expect from a partner. If I had to make a generalization, I'd say 2~3 paragraphs is the most common standard stated by people looking for partners that I see. Though, if someone expects longer, they'll be sure to declare it in an unambiguous way.

In general I see "literate/advanced lit" as a bit of posturing or bragging? It's like saying "I'm looking for a good partner". Most people are; you are rarely gonna see someone saying they're interested in poor writing.

I agree that the standard is like 2+ paragraphs, but I want to add that it's not also a matter of size but the quality of the sentences...

Joanie sat down. She was looking forward to seeing Adam. It had been a while since they'd been together. When Adam was around, Joanie's days were always brighter.

vs

Joanie sat down, counting the minutes until she saw Adam again. It'd been far too long since they'd been in the same room, much less together. Why she'd let them grow so apart, since being near him made her smile so much, she didn't know.

The second one isn't much longer than the first, but it's more complex.

Rather than "Literate" being about post length, I would think about level of detail you would like in posts. Some people can ramble for paragraphs on end and never really say much of value. Others can write a couple of paragraphs with relevant detail and progress the plot. I know who I would prefer to RP with.

Back
Top Bottom