Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are 25 things every character should have to flesh them out?

Lifeline

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
Maybe there's already another post like this. But having a guide/academy for character writing solid well-rounded characters could be helpful.

I want to know, what's your process when you start to design a new character from scratch?

I find Motive is always a good place to start. What goal does my character strive for, how do they expect to accomplish that. Their motive can even be tangential to the plot, I had one character who owned a run down tavern and was hoping to bring it back to it's prime. I found myself quite interested in that aspect even as the plot was about his relationship to a passing traveller.

I like contrasts and for my character to feel conflicted or challenged in some way. That can vary obviously depending on the story but an example might be a guy who is has always been a nice guy law abiding but loses his job, gets pushed a little too often than robs a bank, takes a hostage. Tries to keep the hostage on side but she pushes him too etc. So he learns he can be nasty if need be.

Or another example would be the standard hunky guy perfect in every way as far as can be seen but... has a micro penis etc Some secret which explains why he keeps to himself so much.

So I start building around that contrast and how the character might be challenged by what is happening or what they are doing/is happening to them.

How the experience will change them over time etc.

Back
Top Bottom