Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Heart of Ice (Grave x Unicorn)

True Grave

Warrior
Sub-Zero stepped out of the Lin Kuei Temple and out into the snow. Breathing in the brisk air, his icy eyes took in his surroundings. His disciples were training both in the field and around back, working to master the different arts associated with their order. Their most distinguishing feature was that they were cryomancers, able to bend and shape ice at will. With their power, they could turn a foe to ice and break them into pieces, among other things. Despite their fearsome power, the Lin Kuei was devoted to the protection of Earthrealm.

It had not always been this way. The Lin Kuei had once been a mercenary ninja outfit that sold their services to the highest bidder. They had even sunk so low as to work for Shao Kahn in his plot to take over Earthrealm. During that time, he had learned that the clan's Grandmaster, Sektor, had concocted a plan to turn all of the Lin Kuei into cyborgs in a bid to rid them of their human weaknesses. Sub-Zero had led an insurrection and defeated the rogue members Sektor, Cyrax, and Smoke, sealing away their robotic bodies deep within the vault. After his victory, Sub-Zero became the new Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei and forged an alliance with Raiden, the Thunder God in charge of protecting Earthrealm.

Since switching sides, the Lin Kuei had played a supplementary role in fending off attacks from both Outworld and the Netherrealm. Raiden and the Shaolin usually took point on this, leaving his organization to watch the homestead. Sub-Zero was fine with this arrangement, and when they were not dealing with problematic issues, he oversaw the training of his disciples. Striding over to a group that was training, he watched them for a moment before nodding his head. Their martial arts maneuvers were coming along smoothly, so now it was time to oversee those working on the cryomancy. It was the most difficult part of the Lin Kuei training regimen, requiring extreme focus and determination.

Sub-Zero was just about to head behind the temple when something caught his eye. A strange orange light appeared, almost seeming to flicker. As he watched, it grew larger until it was a sphere about his height. After a moment, he realized that it was a portal, but not one that he had ever seen before. Portals within the realms were usually slowly swirling vortexes, but this one was stable and unmoving. He and his disciples nearby watched it intently, wondering if anything hostile was going to come out of it.

444f02cbb0ea995017b9073bde8ea93a.jpg

The portal opens near the snowy forest, and a blonde woman falls on the snow as soon as she steps out of the portal. This is a surprise to her since she didn't expect seeing or feeling the cold, but she scramble on her feet. She runs, the portal is still open as three humanoids walks into the realm. Two bulky males and one female are standing in the snow, the woman from before is nowhere to be seen, but her tracks can be seen in the snow. They are a distance away from the Lin Kuei compound, but they are not worried about that since they are hunting their prey in the woods.

The blonde woman is running as best she can, even though the snow is hindering her progress. The only thing that is protecting her from the shivering cold is a cloak, but is unprepared for the weather. Wrapping herself, she continues on, knowing that she cannot stop less she gets captured. From here, a large palace can be seen and if she can reach it, then maybe she would have a chance. The natural dirt becomes cobblestone as she arrives at a forest shrine, and unfortunately that is as far as she gets when one of the humanoids lands in front of her, folding its giant wings while it haunches. "Found you!" He screeches, blocking the woman's path.

Sub-Zero was surprised to see a blonde woman tumble out of the portal. Although she was a fair distance away, he could make out her sky blue eyes from this distance. Indeed, she seemed to be dressed entirely in blue with sapphires dazzling in the sunlight. She looked harmless, but the woman and two men that followed her out of the portal did not. He had no clue what was going on, but he was going to get to the bottom of it.
"I'll check it out, you stay here," he said to the disciples near him.

He ran over to the stairs and made his way down the steps of the Lin Kuei Temple. There were several dozen leading up to the temple proper, so it took him a few minutes even at full speed. Once he reached the bottom, he began running for the forest shrine that he had last seen them at. Since they had cleared several paths, it didn't take him too long to get there. He arrived just as a strange humanoid with wings was advancing on the blonde woman in blue.
"All four of you are trespassing on Lin Kuei grounds," he addressed them in a tone of absolute authority.

Sub-Zero did look rather imposing as he stood there. His short brown hair and black outfit with flecks of blue stood out against the snow. His muscular arms were bare, indicating that he felt no chill from the cold.
"We don't take kindly to intrusions on our sacred ground. Identify yourselves at once."
His blue eyes shone with a glint of intensity, indicating that he was not playing around.

The winged creature approach the woman, and the two others caught up with her at the shrine. As soon as they close in on her shivering form, someone else joins in the stand off. The wingman turns and snarls at the fool who dares not minding his own business, but the other male Humanoid speaks up. "We do not mean to tress pass into your realm, you see, we are here for this woman here who is an escaped prisoner.." The third humanoid took advantage of the shivering woman, and placed a magical binding ring around her. "So now we shall be returning shortly."

The blonde woman falls to her head, shaking her head as she gives the Earthrealmer a pleading look. "N-no...please...help..." SHe said, struggling against the binding ring. The wingman growls, eyeing the woman as he harshly pulls her on her feet, but the others to not look too pleased.

Sub-Zero didn't like the attitude of the winged humanoid, but the other male was more civil. He explained that the blonde woman was an escaped prisoner and that they were there to apprehend her. They put some kind of binding ring around her that seemed to confirm their story. The woman pleaded with him, and Sub-Zero started getting the feeling that something wasn't right. The woman didn't look or seem like a criminal, nor was he getting those kinds of vibes off of her. The strangers may have been telling the truth, but he wanted to be sure.

"I'm afraid it's not that simple. You've come to Earthrealm without the proper documentation or permissions. I'm afraid that I have to place you all into custody until Raiden arrives. If the story you've told me checks out, you'll be free to return to your own realm with no further problems."
Sub-Zero was suspicious of these three, as they seemed more like Netherrealm demons than law enforcement. He didn't want the young blonde woman to come to harm if all was not as it seemed.

"I would advise you to come quietly. This is Lin Kuei territory and you won't get out of it easily. My clan knows this area like the back of their hands and will hunt you down if you try anything."
Of course, Sub-Zero hardly needed help to deal with this many potential foes. If they became hostile, he would freeze them and store them in a special cell that would keep them frozen until Raiden arrived. He would have liked to avoid a fight but would not hesitate to defend himself if the need arose.

"What?! You meddling little worm, this is none of your concern!" The wingedman hissed, clearly annoyed at the interruption. "We have what we came for, and we will leave this miserable frosted land!" He is starting to become aggressive, but is not hostile enough to attack just yet.

"Voreca, that is enough!" The other warns him. "...is there no chance for us to negotiate? We have to return to our realm as soon as possible as we have obligations to our God. He would not take a liking to us being late with out prisoner."

Sub-Zero's brow furrowed as the winged humanoid spoke disrespectfully to him. The other one identified him as Voreca and was less aggressive. His words indicated that he was working for some kind of God, and the Grandmaster's eyebrows heightened in curiosity.
"I understand, but I'm afraid my hands are tied here. Earthrealm law states that the Protector God has to know every time someone crosses over from another realm. Since Earthrealm has been attacked many times in the past, it's become a necessity."

Sub-Zero jerked his thumb behind him.
"The Lin Kuei Temple is back there. Come with me and I'll contact Raiden to hear you out. We'll keep your prisoner locked up while we do so. If everything checks out, you'll be back in your world before sundown."
He was curious about who this 'God' was they were working for and why he wanted this blonde woman so badly.

"Very well, we shall surrender ourselves. The last the we want is to start trouble." The strangers agree to follow the warrior back to the Lin Kuei, the blonde woman has fainted from being in the snow, her outfit wasn't equipped to handle winter weather, but the others are barely wearing anything, but the snow doesn't bother them. One of them places a cloak around her body so she wouldn't freeze to death, all the while keeping her captive all the way to the temple.

Sub-Zero nodded.
"That's a wise choice. I'll try not to take up more of your time than necessary."
He led them back to the Lin Kuei Temple and they went inside. It was much warmer in there, especially since there were several fireplaces going. The blonde woman was surrendered to a Lin Kuei warrior, who took her to be locked up in a heated cell to revive her.

While they waited for Raiden to arrive, Sub-Zero showed his guests into a dining room. They were all served tea to further warm up and enjoy. Just as they were finishing, a blue lightning bolt struck and Raiden appeared.
"I am Raiden, Protector of Earthrealm. I understand that these two crossed over. Please, state your business."

They guided to the temple, the three strangers are well behaved, carrying the blonde woman with them. They do not want her to die, so it is a good thing that she is being kept in a warm cell for the time being. While they wait for the thunder god, they are placed in a room until he arrive to talk to them. Lo and behold, Raiden comes in to speak to them. "Greetings, Lord Raiden. Pardon us for the intrusion into your realm, but we were in pursuit of a criminal that had entered first. She has committed murder, and our orders is to bring her back alive." The more civil of the three explains. "We are enforcers of our own protector, the Great Rhahnos."

Raiden listened as the two guests explained their situation.
"I have not heard of Rhahnos. What realm does he protect?"
Sub-Zero stood up.
"I would also like to know about this murder. Who is it that she killed?"

Sub-Zero thought there was something fishy about these two. One of them was civil enough, but he was getting a bad vibe. The blonde woman didn't look like a murderer, nor did she act like one. On the contrary, she seemed to be fleeing for her own life. He also had never heard of any god named Rhahnos, and that struck him as suspicious, too. He would let Raiden take the lead on this, but his instincts were telling him that something was wrong here.

"He protects the realm of Tharasis, it is a minor realm." He answered, then turning to Sub-Zero. "She has murdered the mortal wife of Rhahnos, such a crime cannot be forgiven. That is why she fled, but who would've known that she tried to escape by escaping into another realm. We were close enough to follow, and here we are. We have to take her back for judgement by our lord." He explained.

Raiden nodded.
"I have heard of Tharasis. I never knew the name of its ruler, or that he had taken a mortal wife."
Sub-Zero was still suspicious.
"Why do you believe that this woman murdered your Queen? What were the circumstances of the crime?"

Raiden looked over at Sub-Zero, then at the two Tharasian warriors.
"I would also like to know these things. I feel that I need to understand the situation better before I allow extradition back to Tharasis."
Sub-Zero was thankful that Raiden also sensed that something was amiss. He and Raiden sat down on the sofa and invited their guests to sit.
"Would you care for some tea?" he asked, trying to be a cordial host in spite of his suspicions.

"Our lord has saw it first hand, then he has ordered us to chase her down to face justice." He explains, but he shook his head. "I am sorry, but I do not consume food or drink." The man's facial feature is unknown due to him having a hood obscure his face even when they are in a well lit room, but his hands seem to be wrapped in bandage. The other doesn't seem to be interested, it just grunts as it doesn't wish to be here. "All I know is that she had murdered our lord's queen, I wasn't there personally, but Voreca was, and he can confirm the crime." He points to his winged companion.

Raiden considered the words of these warriors.
"It seems that I must travel to Tharasis in order to question Lord Rhahnos personally. If he made the charge, he can give me more details."
"I request to travel with you, Lord Raiden," Sub-Zero said, "After all, the girl is in Lin Kuei custody."
Raiden nodded.
"Very well."

He turned to their Tharasian guests.
"The girl will remain in Lin Kuei custody for now, but we will accompany you back to Tharasis. I will speak to Rhahnos and if the facts add up, I will release her into your custody. Will you accept this arrangement?"
Sub-Zero took a sip of his tea, thinking over the situation. He would feel a lot better about it once he met Rhahnos himself and got to understand exactly what had happened.

"Ah, pardon me for saying this Lord Raiden, but our lord forbids foreigners to enter into the realm. We have been isolated for a long time, the power of Lord Rhahnos keeps invaders out and allow anyone to leave without special permission. The prisoner...she did something we didn't thought possible and somehow slip through the barrier." He explained.

The woman starts to wake up, and found herself in a prison. Is she back in her realm? No, it doesn't seem to be, where is she? "What is this place? Hello" At least she is in someplace warm, the cold was brutal that it rendered her into a suspended state.

Raiden's face tightened.
"Then it appears we are at an impasse. I cannot in good conscience release a prisoner to be executed if I am not absolutely sure that they committed the crime. If I cannot meet with Lord Rhahnos, there will be no extradition."
Sub-Zero was concerned about the negotiations breaking down. He didn't want to impede the course of justice, but he too did not want someone to be executed for a crime that they may not have committed.

"Is it possible for you to intercede on our behalf with your Lord?" he interjected.
After getting the attention of the emissaries, he cleared his throat.
"This is a matter of grave importance, with one of your monarchs having been murdered. The assassin must pay for that crime. Surely Lord Rhahnos would make an exception if it meant getting true justice for his Queen?"
Raiden nodded toward Sub-Zero, impressed that he had found a way forward in the negotiations.

---

A low-ranking Lin Kuei acolyte named Takai was serving as a guard for the prisoner in the cell. When he heard her soft voice calling out, he went over to her. She was beautiful and radiant, like fresh fallen snow on the ground. He couldn't imagine her being guilty of the crime of murder. Takai bowed to her in greeting.
"I am Takai of the Lin Kuei."

When he raised his head, he gestured around.
"You collapsed near our temple and are being held here while the Grandmaster and Protector of Earthrealm negotiate your extradition back to your realm."
The woman seemed so vulnerable that his heart ached for her.
"Are you cold? Do you need food? Maybe some water?"

"Oh?" The young woman turns to the acolyte, and shook her head. "No, I am just trying to figure something out." To be honest, her knowledge is out of date since it has been a long time since her realm has been protected and hidden away. "Wait, so i am in...Earthrealm? Huh?" When she heard that this Grandmaster and protector God is talking about sending her back, she panics. "No, no, no, I can't go back! I-I need to talk to the protector!"

----

"I understand, but our lord is protective of the realm. In the past, we used to be open to all, but that kindness was taken advantage off and we have been invaded by enemies, and our lord has done everything possible to keep them out. Even going as far as to placing a seal and has been holding it this entire time. He wouldn't allow it, even with our word alone." He tries to explain, and he looks to the grandmaster. "Yes, I get what you are saying. We want justice, but I am unsure if we would get through to him."

The acolyte nodded.
"Yes, you are in Earthrealm. You landed near the Lin Kuei Temple. The Grandmaster found you shortly after you came in, sheltering you from the cold. You're being held here until it's decided what will be done with you."
It was no surprise that she would be upset at the thought of extradition.

The acolyte tried to calm her down.
"Right now, Lord Raiden is conferring with the Tharasian representatives. Once that's done, I'm sure he will meet with you."
The acolyte gave her a reassuring smile and then turned away to stand guard, knowing he would get an earful if someone caught him being lax in his duties.

---

Raiden nodded as the representative explained.
"I understand Rhahnos' feelings quite well. Earthrealm also used to be open to all, but that kindness was taken advantage of by Outworld and the Netherrealm. Now we more strictly monitor who comes and goes within our borders."
Sub-Zero took a sip of tea.
"Even so, this is not the usual situation."

Raiden nodded.
"Indeed. Given what has happened within Tharasis, I humbly ask that you request a meeting with your lord on our behalf. While I sympathize with your situation, I must ensure that no injustice happens on our watch."

The woman looks around the cell, there is no way out as she is stuck until she is set free. What is she suppose to do now? If they would sway the protector god, then she would be killed. Her belongings are not on her, and she still feels weak after traveling into a different realm.
___

He is silent at first, the warrior seems uncertain about this plan. "We'll...try. I am unsure of the result, but it is the least I can do." He said lowly, sensing that this would be a horrible idea, but is willing to do so since they have come into Earthrealm unannounced. "Our Lord wants her to return, so he might be willing to accept this arrangement." AT least he hopes so. "it has been thousands of years since outsiders has entered into Tharasis."

Raiden nodded.
"That is all that I ask you to do."
With the decision made, Raiden bid farewell to their Tharasian guests. If Rhahnos agreed to their proposal, they would likely return to the Lin Kuei Temple.
"I must return to my own duties. Farewell, Sub-Zero."

"Farewell, Raiden."
The two bowed to each other and then Raiden disappeared in something resembling a lightning strike. Sub-Zero then went downstairs to the cells, where their prisoner was waiting. When he found her cell, he was once again struck by her beauty. It was hard to imagine that such a woman could be a murderer.
"I am Sub-Zero, Grandmaster of the Lin Kuei."

He bowed to her in greeting.
"The emissaries from Tharasis claim that you murdered the Queen of Rhahnos. Why do they make such an accusation?"
Sub-Zero was interested in hearing her side of the story, so that he might better understand the situation.

The woman waits and waits, sitting on the floor when the grandmaster himself walks inside. She remains silent at first, but she does speak to him. "No, I didn't." She said as stood up. "I didn't kill her, but she suffered a painful death. I was there when it happened. She..." It is too painful for her to recall such a horrible event, that her head lowered a bit. "I-I'm sorry, I have never realm jumped before. I am sorry for coming here, but I had no choice. I was trying to go to Outworld, to possibly meet with Lord Onaga."

Sub-Zero listened as the woman gave some of her account. Naturally, she denied killing her, though she admitted being there when the Queen died. She seemed genuine in her pain of the memory, though he was not going to be too trusting just yet.
"In that case, you were fortunate to have landed here. Onaga is merciless and might have killed you himself for trespassing into his realm."
It was still hard to believe that Shao Kahn was no longer in control of Outworld, having been betrayed by Shang Tsung and Quan Chi before Onaga overpowered them to assume the throne himself.

Sub-Zero crossed his arms.
"Lord Raiden has interceded on your behalf, but he'll want the full story just like I do. I need every last detail of what happened to your Queen, including who really killed her, if you know. If you are innocent of the charge against you, then the only way to prove it is to catch who really killed her."
Sub-Zero created an ice chair for him to sit on and sat down.
"Go ahead, when you're ready."

"Is that right? Maybe we have been closed off for too long." She looks down a bit, ashamed that her realm has been closed off for so long, and they have missed out on what has been happening. She still doesn't dare look at the grand master, what could she say since nothing has gone right for her. The memory is still fresh in her mind, she doesn't wish to be reminded. "S-She...she was corrupted by Rhahnos' influence. It turned her into..." She skips over that part after hesitating. "She was murdered by a man named Kvar, a sorcerer that is Rhahnos right hand. Both of them cannot be trusted."

Back
Top Bottom