Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

I Awaken From My Midnight Slumber [RavenxPretty]

prettylykSIN

Supernova

• Selenite_by_LovelyDagger.png

The most ancient and respective House of Phantomhive was in turmoil. Servants ran about carrying tray and clothes, rushing about in a frenzied panic. They stopped to bow or drop a hurried curtsy before the young woman in black. She was obviously the lady of the House since she did not wear servant's livery. Her robes were plain, but well-cut. They were the robes of a student of the local Mage Academy. The young woman watched the servants with interest. Father was obviously having a guest over, and an important one from the way the servants were acting. The young lady, Meredith Phantomhive, kept well out of the way, making her way towards her rooms. If father was having company, then he probably wanted her dressed and ready to play hostess. Meredith hated it, but it pleased her father to see her all dressed up. She so rarely did anything with herself, even though she was a fairly attractive female.

Her skin was a lovely almond color, a shade or two lighter than her long caramel locks. Being a woman of twenty, she was had the figure of a mature woman; showing sensuous curves at waist and breast and hip. Her father told her all the time that she was the image of her mother, who had died when Meredith was just a babe. Humans had a hard time giving birth to Sidhe children. Human women usually had miscarriages when carrying Sidhe babes. Very few lived through the experience, most bled to death after the child was born.

The half-Sidhe retreated to her room, shutting the door behind her. Her ladies-in-waiting rose to assist her. Meredith sighed. Time to play dress-up. She allowed her women to strip her down and usher her into the bathing chamber, scrubbing her down from head to toe. By the time they were done with her, her skin had a faint glow to it, and she smelled of lavender. It was her favorite scent, and had it put in all her soap. They dressed her in a tight corset gown of sky blue. It looked best against her skin-tone. They piled her hair up on top of her head, curling it prettily and allowing a few strands to fall into her face. She wondered idly who her father had invited to have her dressed up so nicely.

After a bit, she was ready and her women excused themselves, allowing her father to enter. Being a full Sidhe, he looked barely older than her. In his late twenties at the most. His hair was a darker shade than Meredith's, and they had the same golden eyes. His skin was a pale white though, an odd contrast to her darkly tanned flesh. He smiled and moved to embrace his daughter, taking her into his arm. "You look beautiful, Merry," he said lovingly. "Just like your mother." He bent his six and a half foot frame to kiss her on the forehead.

Meredith smiled and shook her head slightly. "You always say that," she said with a small smile. She loved hearing it anyhow. She looked at her father curiously. He was wearing his best suit, a dark silver embroidered suit that fit his muscular frame nicely. "Who is coming tonight, Papa?" she asked, tilting her head curiously. Her father only smiled and took her arm, guiding her from her rooms. "Just an old friend." Meredith glanced up at her father. She knew he was keeping something from her.

Oh well, she'd find out in due time.
              [/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

av237.gif

Sulfuric yellow smoke and scents broke the night air, clearing away with a gentle breeze that followed. There stood but a man, robed in black cloth with leather boots and gloves with a terrible silver mask obscuring his face, a hood drawn about his head. He appeared wizards of the old style did, dark and mysterious - warrior-scholar rather than just a scholar. There were no visible weapons on his person as he stalked through the gloom of the gathering night with a waning crescent providing just enough light to send metallic beams springing off of his metalic visage; but then again a proper wizard's weapons weren't those you carried on a belt loop.

Darcia was his name, 'Dark One' in the old Elvish tongues that both the wizard and the associate he was visiting still knew and kept alive between themselves. As he trudged up the circular stones laid as a pathway in the grass up to the door of his host he took a pipe from his cloak, putting it to a slit in the mask of his mouth. Flame sprung at the tip, illuminating the ornately carved wood, as well as the dreadful stare of the man's emotionless head-gear before it sizzled away and long, circular puffs of smoke left his pale lips. He was early still...and it would be rude to come calling before his hosts were ready.

The pipe gave Darcia time to think...to search within his prodigious memory and pull out every obscure fact about his friend and his family that he could recall. His host's wife had died, and now the man was left with a Half-Sidhe daughter named Meredith as he recalled, who the Elven Magus had seen when she was a small toddler but not since. As far as his friend was concerned though, they had gone to school together at the same academy centuries ago, and had seen one another off and on as the Sidhe Lord grew into his noble estate and required services from his old friend Darcia. Most notably, they had fought together in the recent Azulian War with distinction. No doubt they would regale each other and their dinner company with stories of the war utilizing dinner plates and trays of butter to represent friendly and enemy battalions.

The Elf perked up, his pointed ear twitching under his hood...hitheto there had been bursts of activity inside - furious cleaning, the moving of chairs...but now that all seemed to have finished. If that was the case then there was no sense standing in the dark anymore. Darcia took his pipe, snuffing it out with his breath before placing it into his pocket - a finger went to his cheek and the silver mask that he wore dissipated as if it had been made of dark smoke the entire time, fleeing his features in small wisps. The hood fell back, and his absurdly handsome face with its platinum blond hair and intense, infinitely deep gray eyes could be seen perfectly, even in such poor lighting. A hand raised to the wood of the door, and his knuckles wrapped softly on it.

It was time to go to dinner.

• The knock echoed through the hallways, easily heard by Meredith and her father. His smile broadened and he wrapped an arm around his daughter, leading her towards the main hallway. "Looks like our guest of honor has arrived, robin," he said, using his nickname for her. He said that when she was a baby, her heart had fluttered like a tiny robin within her chest. He claimed that he could still hear it today. She didn't doubt it with those long pointy ears of his. Being only half Sidhe, her ears were slightly less long, barely poking out from her hair.

A servant opened the front doors, bowing the man in the darkness inside. Meredith felt her breath catch in a small gasp. The man standing in her doorway was absolutely gorgeous. Her eyes raked over his tall frame, from his combed back blond hair to his dark boots and back to his gray eyes. She felt her father's arm leave her shoulder as he approached the stranger with open arms. "Darcia, old boy," he said jubilantly, clapping the blond on the shoulder in a friendly welcome. "I'm so glad you got my message." He turned and made a gesture to Meredith. "I'm sure you don't recognize little Merry."

Meredith took a steadying breath and smiled at the stranger. She approached the two men and swept her skirts out in an elegant curtsy. "Sir," she murmured, the picture of a refined Lady. She could tell her father was beaming down at her, quite proud of his daughter.

"Isn't she a beauty, Darc? Just like her mother!"

Darcia swept into the foyer, picturesque elegance and high class refinement. Not a hair of his was out of place, and not a blemish could be seen on his pale skin. Indeed even his tacky clothes were worn tastefully...his cloak was tattered, but tattered in such a way to seem almost symmetrical and stylish. A servant even asked the guest if he'd surrender that same ratty cloak to hang limply on the coat rack - and this was accepted without comment. Two fluid motions and it was off, revealing Darcia's much nicer attire which fit his lean but muscular form well, showing naught but an inch of skin below his chin.

"Recognize? No. Remember? Yes. Charmed I am sur-"

He paused to embrace his old friend, who the wizard knew for the fact would never accept anything less than a chaste hug.

"Charmed, I am sure," he finished, gray eyes sweeping towards Meredith now. His gaze met hers and instantly she could feel the raw intensity of his look. Not only were his eyes immeasurably deep, deeper than the ocean with their foggy vagueness they also somehow managed to be piercing. An arrow pierced her mind, and it was as if for a single moment he could see into her very soul. It was unnerving and exciting in a way, and she would by no means be the first person to later claim that the thing they remembered most about Darcia was his eyes, if that was what she chose to focus on. The only thing that saved Meredith from further inspection was her father's use of a shortened name for his old friend.

Those brilliant eyes turned to the full Sidhe which had just addressed them, threatening calamity and pestilence with their gaze. 'Darc' and 'Darce' and 'Darci' were simply not tolerated, and Ciel should've known that. Darcia largely suspected that his friend was just having cheap laughs to himself at the wizard's expense. No matter! Darcia could be the bigger man...until Ciel's back had turned. Petty and light hearted payback could come later though, and Darcia was forced to study the girl before him once more as she was compared to her mother, who Darcia had known for a short time before her death.

"She has her mother's complexion and hair I find," said the wizard definitively, and then added that she had her father's natural grace to stroke the doting paternal figure's fatherly ego. "Very beautiful though, no doubt the envy of every boy for a hundred miles and I am sure they will also be happy to find her dowry well-founded as well." Infact that probably was *not* the case, half-breeds not exactly being a sought after commodity in much of the puritanical Elvish community...but Darcia himself felt that half-sidhe, half-human women maintained a very unique and somewhat exotic beauty.

"So," said the elf after a moment of silence in which no one seemed to be able to find something else to say. "Dinner then? Or is there some business you wanted to brook with me, your note was not very clear though perhaps I can owe that to the couriers around here - it was soaked by the rain and some of the ink had run."

• Ciel preened at the compliment that Meredith had inherited his grace. Meredith remained quiet, looking over the blond man. There was a moment when his eyes had met hers... it had felt like he had torn down her natural defenses and laid bare her soul. Chills ran down her spine, but she did not drop her eyes from his. She stood a little straighter, her chin held high. Her defenses slammed back into place, leaving her feeling cold. Her father noticed none of this, or he chose to ignore it. He continued to smile at his old friend and draped an arm around the man's shoulder, as he had done with her.

"We can talk over dinner. Its nothing too terribly important. I just wanted to see your smiling face again." Of course the Sidhe was teasing. The Elf had not cracked a single smile since entering their home. Meredith wondered vaguely if the intense blond man was capable of a smile. She turned and lead the way to the dining room. It was a large impressive room, the walls were a dark stained wood and the carpet was a deep red, the color of blood. The table was laden with all sorts of food, suckled pig, roasted venison, greens and wine. The table was fairly small for such a small room; circular with six chairs. Meredith sat near the venison, that being her favorite. Ciel smiled and told Darcia to sit where ever he wished, and sat opposite of his daughter.

The servants when around the table, pouring wine and serving food. Ciel all but ignored their presence while Meredith quietly thanked each one. They all gave the lady a smile. It was obvious that Meredith was kind to them all.

It was Ciel who broke the silence, of course. "So," he said with a broad grin, "where have you been the past two hundred years? It was very hard tracking you down." Meredith listened as she ate, taking delicate bites of her venison. She was curious about this friend. He wasn't the sort her father usually brought home. Her father seemed intent on Darcia, oblivious to his daughter's presence for now. He got that way with old friends. It saddened her slightly that he could cut her off so completely.

It was not easy for a young woman to understand how her father could be such a different person in the presence of an old comrade - of an old master, and Ciel had every reason to change around Darcia. They had been revolutionaries together back at the academy before their dreams were quashed and their other friends scattered. After that they had fought together in countless conflicts, and had even stayed with one another when they fell on hard times. It was for this reason, a sort of masculine bond of brotherhood, that poor Meredith was occasionally shut out.

Darcia, for his part calmly accepted everything that was thrust in front of him, including salad and venison and fruit and all sorts of other things. Special attention was given to the wine however, as in that at least Darcia was something of a savant.

As for the dinner, it passed by amiably, and as usual Ciel was one to beat around the bush. Rather than guessing at what his old friend wanted, Darcia decided to instead shift his attention to the charming woman who sat one seat down from him. It was always polite to make children seem important...if she was a children infact. Darcia had little concept of her actual age, but then it was hard to guess when you'd lived for a millennium.

"Meredith," he finally would say, calling her attention to him. He liked the rapt way with which her young, perky eyes would turn towards him. It was that charming little gift that eager young people sometimes had before pessimism began to rule them, when they were so happy to hear what you had to say that their gaze alone could make you feel like the only person in the world that mattered. Darcia's own gaze with its unique qualities previously mentioned now found Meredith's eyes again, completely. Not that Meredith had any reason to lie, it could be supposed...but even so when looking into this mans pupils you were scared to tell a falsehood...it was like you were just convinced that somehow, in someway he would know if you lied to him. "Where do you go to school again? Your father used to write me and tell me about your work. Do you do well there? How do you like it?"

• Ciel blinked as his guest addressed his daughter, but did not interrupt. He leaned back in his chair, a knowing smile teasing the corners of his lips. Despite what he said earlier, this was the reason he had called Darcia to his home. The Sidhe laced his fingers together and watched the two silently. He knew how this would play out.

Meredith raised her golden eyes to Darcia's stormy gray ones. She looked surprised that the Elf had interrupted her father, her eyebrows raised slightly. His question put her off-balance. Just what had her father been telling his man about her? Her eyes slid over to her father and was immediately suspicious. He looked far too pleased with himself. "I go to Falathrim," she said, looking back to Darcia. She refused to answer the rest of the question. It was bad enough she had horrid marks, this man didn't need to know. That is, if her father hadn't already told him. Truth be told, she hated the school. She didn't want to be a Mage, but her father had insisted that she go to the same school he did, as though it were an honor.

Frowning slightly, Ciel sat forward. "Go on, Merry."

She looked at her father again, her brow puckering in a small frown. "I hate the school. The professors are boorish and ill-tempered. The library is outdated and the campus is a mess." Her eyes never once left her father. He had put her in this situation, and she would tell him the truth, even if it hurt his feelings. It seemed to have the opposite effect on him though. He only smiled and banged his fist against the table.

"Hear this, Darcia? Falathrim is a ruin. I can't have my daughter doing to a second-rate school, missing out of the education we had." He grinned at that. Their lessons had been of a more violent sort, but educational all the same. "I need someone I trust teach her the trade." Ciel had no doubt in this mind that the Elf would catch his drift. Meredith, on the other hand, looked completely lost, looking from one man to the other. She wasn't entirely sure what had just happened.

Ah so that was it...Darcia had sniffed out the reason for this little meeting without even intending to. The thought of complying with his friend's round-about request was enough to make him turn his nose upwards...but Falathrim in ruin did give him a welling spring of joy deep within his stomach that pleased him all the same.

"Hm."

That was all he could manage to say on the matter, just a little grunt of acknowledgment towards Ciel that Darcia understood his friend perfectly...and where this was going. Immediately his agile mind threw itself into overdrive, considering this and that, and how he could possibly squirm his way out of this so carefully laid trap. A covert glance towards Meredith confirmed his suspicions that she had no inkling of this setup, and therefore no great yearning to become his pupil as of yet. The key point was would she warm up to the idea mid-conversation?

"Ciel..." said Darcia softly, raising the brim of his wineglass to his lips in order to buy time...he still had formulating to do, but by the time the crystal vessel had touched the table again, the wizard was ready. "You know as well as I do that I've never taken a successful apprentice. And besides...I travel alot, and your daughter would necessarily be away from home for long periods of time. How would she ever find a husband then, or have friends?"

Of course, Ciel also knew well that of Darcia's former apprentices exactly half of them were dead, with the rest failures, washed up and performing parlor tricks for fat nobles to laugh and clap their hands at. But then again...stealing a student from Falathrim would be a snub at the school that he hated...and perhaps Meredith could also tell him more about the state of the academy in detail (he still entertained vague and mostly unsubstantiated notions of someday storming it once again).

"So...I'm just not sure that it'd work out - not that I wouldn't just love taking on such a refined, elegant apprentice etcetera etcetera, but you know..."

• Ciel took a undignified gulp of his wine, and stared at his old friend intensely. "But none have half the potential that Meredith has! Its in her blood! She just needs the proper training. And you're the one to do it. You know I gave up magic after Elizabeth died." Elizabeth, Meredith's mother. Ciel felt that his powers should have saved her somehow, and when he failed, he had forsaken all this training, turning his back on his powers. He couldn't break the oath he had taken. Not even to teach his own daughter. For a Sidhe, twenty years is barely a passing moment. His wife's death was still fresh in his mind.

The daughter in question had, of course, caught on by now. She glanced sharply at her father, silently cursing him for putting her in this position. While she hated Falathrim, she couldn't guarantee that this man would be any better, and she would have to leave her home to do it! She had been born in his great house. She didn't want to leave!

"Besides," Ciel continued as though Meredith were not there, "you know as well as I that few are willing to marry a half human Sidhe, even with her dowry." He didn't mean to sound cruel, Meredith knew, but it had hurt all the same. She cast her eyes down to the table. Not once since she had become eligible for marriage had a man come forward to even court her. Sidhe thought that the human in her would taint them with her mortality. None wanted to risk that. "What's the harm in trying? If she can't cope, you could always send her home."

"Ah..." said Darcia, the single word hanging in the air followed by the silence as all eyes fell irrevocably on him. He'd forgotten about Elizabeth and that silly oath of Ciel's. People sure didn't like leaving Darcia many choices in life... Darcia looked back towards Meredith, judging her shrewdly. Whether he was looking for an excuse not to accept or, or a reason to actually embrace her as a pupil was not known even to the dark wizard.

Of course, what he did see was the tragic face of a half-breed, who as Ciel so amply stated would probably never be able to marry. Doomed to the life of an old maid through the long years ahead of her, and moreover thrust by a father into a school she hated in a discipline she was still uncommitted to, if Darcia said no. Heart strings were tugged...and he sighed. When Darcia sighed Ciel knew that he had won. Darcia always did have a soft spot for those deemed to be 'of the second class' by the haughty people on top.

The Magic World's greatest mind wrestled with itself to find some excuse, no matter how far-fetched but alas, there was none. Darcia was too much of a gentleman these days...years of wealth and dealing with high circles had smoothed the rough edges of his youth, and there was just no way around it - if he said 'no' then his friendship would be hurt, and the wizard would feel like a great big villain for a week or so.

"Alright...I'll do it, how soon can she pack her things and be ready to go?"

He leaned back, drumming his fingers on the table in defeat while his handsome ears listened to whatever words of thanks or explanation Ciel would have, as well as any that Meredith might produce in her own futile attempt to get out of this. Either way, Darcia could derive a modicum of petty pleasure out of being able to handwrite a letter to Falathrim explaining why one of their students was leaving in the most colorful terms imaginable (he'd need to be sure to get all the details!) and then, once he had signed 'Darcia' at the bottom...would they wonder? Darcia liked to amuse himself by thinking they would, no matter how absurd...but then again, in the vaguest terms he was something of a legend there still. All ready his mind turned, gleefully, from preparing excuses for not accepting Meredith to instead readying the next salvo in his ongoing war with his old academy.

• Obviously pleased, Ciel clapped his hands loudly thrice. "She can be ready by the morn, old man! I insist you stay here tonight." He took another mouthful of wine and demanded more from the nearest servant. The Sidhe was apparently happier about this arrangement than his daughter. She sat, quietly, staring at her plate. She didn't know what to make of this. She saw ups and downs to both end. With Darcia, she could leave Falathrim and wouldn't be the half human failure, but would have to leave her home. With Falathrim, well... there wasn't really any ups besides staying home. She knew her father wanted this for her though, and she did anything her father asked. It was the reason she enrolled at Falathrim in the first place. If she had her way, she would be a historian. She loved the idea of working alone, surrounded by ancient scrolls and books, translating texts and finding some ancient treasure. That was the life she wanted, even if it she were a spincer the rest of her life. Books judged no one.

She pushed her chair back and stood, excusing herself quietly. "I'll start packing." She glanced at Darcia and curtsied before him. "Thank you for taking me as your apprentice," she murmured before leaving the men to themselves. Ciel watched her daughter go with a fond smile. It was obvious he truely did love his daughter, even if she could never be the heir of the Phantomhive legacy. He turned his attention back to his old friend and launched into memories of the Azulian War, his mind off his daughter once more.

Meredith went straight to her rooms and began packing. She doubted that she would have a need for her fancy gowns with Darcia. She packed a few simple dresses, underclothes and, for safe measure, two fine gowns. It didn't take her long to pack, and soon she was surrounded by her ladies in waiting, stripping from the restraints of her current gown. After she had been undressed, she dismissed her ladies for the night. It was quite late now, though she did not feel the slightest bit tired. She was too anxious. She was leaving her home for the first time in twenty years tomorrow. She doubted she could sleep at all. Instead of wating out the night, she crept from her room; dressed in a simple cream nightgown. The fabric was thin and breezy, draping over her form sensually. Of course, no one ever saw her in these things except her personal servants. She didn't feel the need for a robe. Her father and the Elf had probably retired by now.

She made her way down the carpeted hallways silently, a single candle in hand. She headed towards her personal library. It was smaller than her father's, but it was filled with books she loved and treasured. It was a circular room, dark blue carpet muffling her footsteps. A single dark couch sat at the back of the room, a small table beside it. She set her candle down and chose a book, falling down on the couch with a sigh. It was a very comfortable couch, warm and familiar. She lasted only five pages before she was sound asleep, the book propped delicated on her chest.

Darcia had talked with his friend long into the night, reminiscing about old wars and times long past. All well and good but...all of those times were just that - in the past, and in a way looking at Ciel saddened Darcia though he would never say it aloud. The wizard's old friend was no longer the bright eyed, brilliant young man that the elf had met back in his teens. No, instead Ciel had forsworn magic and contented himself to a life of docile domestics, something that would never sit well with Darcia if that were to become his personal lifestyle.

At any rate, Darcia was offered a room but he refused it on the grounds of not being tired (Darcia was a chronic insomniac, among other things), and instead retired to the library where he found a particular book of his interest, and curled up with it on the chair. There he read, quietly through the night until disturbed by his new apprentice who came in her...very sexy...night gown. At first she was ignored, since Darcia just assumed it was some sort of a maid come to clean, but it was only when she had laid down on the couch that he looked up and saw Meredith sprawled out, reading groggily a book.

It was hardly a wonder that Darcia hadn't been detected, what with his dark robes and the fact that he had managed to read in the dark (another peculiarity of his). Whereas at first he had browsed by candlelight, the stick had long since snuffed out the flame, and he had been too lazy to try and find another.

Still...lovely gray eyes watched every move of the half-Sidhe girl in all of her loveliness now, and in a strange way he felt like a peeping tom since she was in her 'negligee' so to speak. Oh well...he went back to his book until his sensitive ears felt the first signs of sleep falling upon the young girl...bah! He was bored, wide awake, and not in the least bit tired.

"Hello there," Darcia finally called out to rouse the young lady. He tried to speak softly so as not to startle her...but then again that was probably unavoidable. "Can you not sleep either?"

• She had been drifting between sleep and consciousness, dreaming of a scene she had just read. Never once had she noticed Darcia sitting in a chair near her. Her nerves had been wound too tight to take notice of him, and then she had been absorbed in her book. She almost thought that he was a dream. That had to be the case. Why would he be in her library? She sat up, her mind still clouded and groggy with sleep, and smiled at Darcia sheepishly. "I'm sleeping now, aren't I?" she asked, still smiling. She didn't seem to notice that the wide neck of her nightgown had slipped down one shoulder. Her hair was mussed, the long curling tresses falling over her shoulders. "Otherwise, why would you be here?" She felt oddly carefree for some reason. Of course, why should she have any worries in a dream?

Meredith stood up, the book falling onto the floor, forgotten for the moment. Her golden eyes looked over Darcia in the soft candlelight. If possible, he looked even more handsome in the soft candlelight; more angelic. She took in every detail of him. His high brow, his lovely gray eyes, and luscious mouth. She wondered if his lips were a soft as they looked.

It took all of three steps for her long legs to close the gap between them. She used the arms of the chair to support her weight as she leaned over him, eyes intent on his mouth. She didn't think of being proper. What did those things matter in a dream. Her face was mere inches from his own. "Too bad this is a dream," she laughed huskily before closing her mouth over his.

Darcia was close to saying something more as his new found apprentice got up and trotted over to him. He had expected more of a scream...a sudden dash out of the room at worst. But certainly not Meredith getting up and embracing him! The wizard's cheeks heated a bit as this young, exotic thing with her ultra-short nightgown attached herself to him, leaning forward for a kiss with a greatly stupid look on her face.

Their lips touched...and Meredith would find out that they were indeed very, very real. They were warm and soft...his tongue was even warmer as she felt it with hers. "This is an odd way to begin your apprenticeship," he told her softly, reaching for Meredith's arms to gently ease her away from him. Their lips parted, and Darcia raised one elegant and finely sculpted eyebrow which was caught by the moon's rays just so perfectly so as to give it a silvery-platinum shine.

His grip was too strong...the leather of his gloves too apparent. This wasn't a dream at all!

• His lips were a pedal soft as she had thought them to be. She smiled against his mouth, her tongue flicking out to tease his bottom lip. It all felt so very real. She could even feel the warmth of his body through the thick fabric of his clothing. Their lips parted and he spoke. She made a vexed sound in her throat, forcing her lips back to his until he gently pried her away from him, holding her upper arms to keep her in one place. She struggled for a moment, her mind not taking in what was happening, but his firm grasp on her arms held her. Why was he so blasted strong?

And then reality came crashing down on her, cold panic crept into her mind. "Great Merciful Mother," she whispered, her eyes widening in her shock; the golden orbs completely clear from the haze of sleep. She had not been dreaming after all! Color flooded her cheeks, and she pulled against him. "I'm so sorry. I... I don't know what came over me," she stammered, trying a bit harder to get loose of him. His grip on her arms was beginning to hurt, but she could have cared less about that. She had never been so ashamed in all her life. She wanted nothing more than to crawl under a rock and die. "I'm sorry," she repeated, not daring to look him in the eye.

Darcia's pale face was warm now...but without blush. His demeanor was unphased, his head tilted to one side as he brought a glove to his mouth and wiped away any shared spittle between the two of them in a surprisingly sultry way. And with the moonlight hitting the man just so...Darcia looked like some embodiment of a sex god, draped though he was in arguably prudish black robes. The wizard's gray eyes twinkled all the more fiercely now as poor Meredith backed away, her face bright red, her features mortified.

"There is nothing to apologize," stated Darcia with infinite calm - as cool as a cucumber. He took one step forward, and other another before he touched Merry's arms and guided her gently back to the couch, sitting her down softly and finally easing into the cushions next to her. What should've been so awkward suddenly didn't seem that way quite so much. The wizard's infinitely soothing aura was balm, and by keeping his composure the warlock made sure to gloss over the incident, as if it had never happened.

"You must be tired my dear. Have you packed? Can you not sleep? I have trouble resting too sometimes, which is why I was reading that book on yonder table."

Any number of clever witticisms came to his mind regarding their very short 'tiff', and half of them were not appropriate for young people to hear. His tongue was held though, the clear implication being that they'd move on, and it shouldn't be talked about.

• While she would have preferred to had fled to her rooms and never come out again, she allowed herself to be steered towards the couch. She sat down, her body rigid as Darcia lowered himself on the couch next to her. Her hands were clasped together in her lap, and she stared at them, wishing now that she had brought a robe with her. She felt uncomfortably vulnerable in her thin nightgown. It wasn't a very large couch and it was inevitable that they would touch. It was had for Meredith to concentrate on what he was saying when he was sitting so close to her; when she could still taste him on her lips.

She closed her eyes and took a deep, ragged breath. Darcia didn't seem to care about the mishap, but she could not dismiss it so casually. All the same, she answered his questions. Yes, she had packed. She fidgeted slightly, still staring at her hands. "I'm anxious about leaving," she confessed. "I haven't left this place in twenty years." She twisted the thin fabric of her gown between her hands, wrinkling the dainty material.

"It is hard," agreed Darcia with sympathy. "I left home many years ago to study at Falathrim like you, and your father as well - though I didn't live so near it like you do I had to move entirely to the campus. I also stayed during the summers and the holidays...it just wasn't feasible or affordable to go home all of the time and I didn't wish to place a burden on my family, since they were already scrimping for the tuition to send me to my school."

The wizard offered a gentle smirk now. Any time Falathrim was mentioned, it brought up some sort of memory regarding it...and especially he liked a memory in his head of the stylized 'F', the symbol of the academic institution shriveling up and burning in flames.

"If it makes you feel any better, my young apprentice, I learned more under one year of a wizard's personal tutelage than I did from all of my teachers in two dozen years of attending school. Surely you have seen how in classes with twenty or more people they are forced to teach to the lowest common denominator. Everyone thinks they can be a great mage now, and some people really shouldn't be out there learning...the median ability of the magical world has declined as a result. Dramatically."

And there it was...the first of Darcia's 'opinions' that Meredith would hear. They were universally well thought out, and formulated over years of consideration and personal experience, just waiting for the right time to be fired off onto some unsuspecting person who played sounding board for the intellectual Darcia besides them.

"Yes...this arrangement will be better for you I think."

• She shook her head, caramel locks falling over her shoulders at the movement. She couldn't fathom being from home for so long. Ciel was all she had left, all she had ever had. And the fact that she could learn more under him than in all her years at Falathrim did not make her feel any better about leaving. It was her father who wanted this for her. And for him, she would endure. Though she never imagined that her father would dump her into the hands of a stranger. No stranger was Darcia to him, but she had only just met the man. She sighed, resigned to her fate. At least she would be free of Falathrim.

She looked up at Darcia and offered him a weak smile. "I'm sure it will."

She pushed herself off the couch, picking up the fallen book in the same fluid movement. She turned and set the book where she had been sitting. "I should probably get back to my rooms. I will see you in the morning." She paused, looking at him strangely for a moment. "Sir." She performed a small curtsy before him, difficult in her nightgown, but she pulled it off nicely. She retreated to the door of the library, pushing it open silently, before turning to look at him once more. "Goodnight." With that last farewell, she disappeared into the hallway, the door closing quietly behind her.

If Darcia were to look at the book she had left, he would have noticed it was a romantic adventure book of a powerful wizard that came to steal the kingdom's princess away.

Darcia watched the retreating form of his new apprentice...paying especial attention to her butt and the dainty ending of her night gown just in time to show off ample views of her creamy legs. Ciel certainly could make some beautiful kids... The wizard moved casually to examine the book his charge had been reading, smiling as he read the cover - a story that he knew well. His suspicions about this girl were further confirmed then... Gently he put the book back on the shelf and went back to his own novel in his corner to wait out the rest of the night.

The morning came with gray light through the window, and the sun could be seen just barely peeking over the horizon if Darcia cared to look (he didn't). The book he had been reading was already set aside...he had finished the thousand page novel in just the span of a few hours, with no light and had been dozing for the last thirty minutes until the light awoke him. The wizard moved away from the library, past his apprentice's room, past Ciel's room, and finally into the dining area. Already he could hear the slaves bustling about a few doors down, preparing breakfast. Darcia leaned his head back, long and elegant locks draping down the back of his chair while he rested some more. While he could never sleep, that didn't mean that he didn't feel tired...at least for the first thirty minutes after sunrise. After that he was perfectly fine for the rest of the day!

"Good Morning," he called out to no one in particular as he heard the floor boards creak and someone enter into the room. A gloved hand reached for his face, rubbing the elf's temples until finally he sat up to see who his first companion this early in the morning would be.

• Falling into a chair with a tired sigh, Ciel smiled wearily at his old friend. "I see you sleep just as well as you did in your youth," he commented dryly, covering another yawn with his hand. Ciel was obviously not a morning person, but his duties required him to be up and about early. A servant entered, bringing with them a generous amount of food. Ciel took a bowl of porridge and added a bit of honey before taking a bite. A man in fine servants' uniform came with a stack of papers and presented them to his lord. A list of Ciel's duties, no doubt. The Sidhe read over them absently while eating his porridge. Wrapped up in his own business, Ciel left Darcia to choose what he wanted from the servants.

After a few minutes, Ciel sighed and handed the stack back to the servant. "Tell the cooks to prepare fruits and vegetables for lunch. Lady Bethany does not eat meat," he said, dismissing the servant with a wave of his hand. The man bowed and scurried from the room, his eyes carefully avoiding Darcia. Now that Ciel thought of it. None of the servants would look the sorcier in the eyes. That was understandable. Ciel himself sometimes felt cowed by the Elf's gaze.

"So you leave today," he commented, pushing his empty bowl from him. "I trust you'll take good care of my Merry." Ciel leveled copper eyes at Darcia. Ciel was no fool. Darcia knew his way around a maid better than most, and he had not been oblivious to the effect the Elf had on this daughter. The Sidhe knew that his daughter had little chance in love, but he also knew that Darcia oft left his women broken, consumed by their infatuation with him. He did not want his for his daughter. "I'd like to see her back here for the Midwinter festival," he added. "I have special pla-"

He was cut off by the appearance of his daughter. She wore a simple dress of cobalt blue with a high collar and a low V neck. She smiled half-heartedly at him, moving to sit next to him. She had shadowy circles under her eyes, suggesting that she had not slept at all either. Ciel raised an eyebrow at that, but made no comment. Very curious. "How are you this morn, my dear?" he asked. "Excited about your trip?" He made it sound like she would be gone only days instead of months. The girl merely smiled at him, a bare curve of her lips, but it did not reach her eyes. She noticed her eyes wandering over to Darcia, her cheeks darkening slightly. Very curious indeed.

Darcia regarded his friend smartly. Ciel knew very well that Darcia's insomnia had stemmed from a near-death experience back in school - and since then paranoia had kept him awake for long hours and the wizard had never really recovered. 'Who can sleep when a knife could touch their throat?' At any rate, Darcia wasn't very hungry, so the honey and porridge and everything else went unattended. All that he sampled was a small bit of fruit that'd been put out. It was an apple cut up into smaller slices.

"I see you sleep just as well as you did in your youth as well - a night full of worry, a morning of anxiety, and so on throughout the day. Only this time you are not fretting about the Alchemy test that invariably I would help you through by virtue of subversive means, instead you are deciding what lunch you are to offer a noble woman."

The man's dangerous eyes watched the stack of papers that was bandied around, and finally shoved away by the disgruntled Sidhe. Darcia took a certain perverse pleasure in finding that the servants avoided his stare like the plague...he had always been proud of it, and on occasion he sometimes felt like he may be losing that same vigor of his retina and had a small crisis like many other men face when they begin to lose their hair. But thankfully Darcia still had his piercing gaze (and his full head of hair!), and so for now he reclined in his chair, closing his eyes again to spare both his friend and the servants the looks of their guest. Resting his eyes wasn't too bad an idea anyways...

"I'll take care of her Ciel...and if it turns out that she isn't cut out to be a wizard I'll send her back."

Of course that was when his ears picked up the light footfalls of his up and coming apprentice. Inwardly, the wizard groaned, resolving to keep his tired eyeballs closed as long as he possible could. Attentively he took in the short exchange between father and daughter, painting a picture of what the scene looked like. In his mind's eye Darcia envisioned Meredith in her nightgown (his last memory of her), slinking over to a chair. The scraping of wood on wood confirmed this as the girl pulled the chair out and sat down for breakfast. Next he heard the sound of the ladies' elbow touching the surface of the table...she would be resting her chin on her hand now, guessed Darcia.

The wizard cracked open an eye, and everything that he had just pictured was true, nightgown aside. Pleasantries were said by the father, unreturned by the tired and perhaps somewhat half-angry daughter.

"Has she ever traveled long distance via apparation, Ciel?" asked the dark wizard quietly, reaching up with a gloved hand to massage his temple. "We need to be going about two-thousand miles, and as you well know its easy to get sick."

• Ciel raised his eyebrows at his old friend. The Elf must be eager to leave indeed if he wanted to travel by Apparation. He looked to his daughter, faintly surprised to see that the blood had drained from her pretty face, leaving her pale and sick-looking. No doubt the girl had heard the stories of those who had been spliced in attempting to travel in that manner. He doubted whether Falathrim had attempted to teach their younger students such dangerous magic. He shook his head at Darcia. "She has not," he said, as though Meredith's reaction was not answer enough.

Meredith looked at the two older men, feeling very sick indeed. She had seen pictures of those who had been spliced, a warning from the teachers to those who tried it without proper training. Sweet Jesu, was the Elf really going to force her to travel thus? The thought of something going wrong and she ending up with one less limb was sickening, and she pushed her breakfast away.

Ciel seemed not to notice his daughter's sudden lack of appitite, his eyes studying Darcia. After a moment, he shrugged. Splicing only happened to novices, and Darcia was far from a novice. He would keep Meredith in one piece. "I'll have Merry's things brought down." He need only say that. His ears caught the sound of a servant scurrying towards Meredith's rooms. He smiled and stood. "I'll see you off before my duties call me away," he said, offering a hand to his still-pale daughter. She smiled up at her father weakly, taking his arm and rising from the chair.

They walked out into the courtyard, where Meredith's two bags awaited her. Ciel wondered if that was enough for her to live on for several months, but he trusted that his daughter knew how to pack for herself. Besides, if the need arose, she could always write home and he would send her either dresses or gold. He had plenty of both.

The Sidhe became aware of his daughter's ragged breathing, and the fact that she all but clung to him. Frightened, no doubt. He smiled tenderly and pried the girl off his arm, bending to kiss her on the forehead. "I will miss you, little robin," he said, smoothing her hair away from her face. Her eyes were bright and moist with unshed tears, her fingers gripping his sleeve tightly. He embraced her a final time before leaving her next to her new master.

"Take care of her, Darcia."

Darcia watched from the sidelines with steadily growing cognitive thought as his mind roused itself up from its semi-sleep. He could detect every quivering fiber of his new apprentice as she felt a certain measure of fear and trepidation towards apparating like this. That was only natural of course, many people felt that way though in practice splicing was rarely irreversible and indeed Darcia had never suffered from, or had anyone suffer from a splicing during his apparations. So it should be perfectly sound. In theory.

The wizard nodded thoughtfully to his old friend when the fatherly request for the safety of his daughter was made - in truth there were few places more safe than under the guard of such a powerful and distinguished wizard...but you couldn't be too careful, could you?

"Eat what you can," he said aloud once Ciel had departed, "It is always better to do it with something in your stomach than nothing at all - and then you should get your things together and have them brought outside. We will be leaving in half an hour."

Short and to the point. He finally, wearily, stood up from his chair, shaking the remainder of sleep from his handsome head and becoming a new man again - bright eyed and full of vigor. With a dramatic flush of his cape he left the dinning room, no doubt off to reconnoiter the surrounding area for the best place to conduct and outbound apparation.

• [ Just gonna make a quick post to move it along. Not really sure where to take it since they should already be out in the courtyard... > >;; ]

Meredith was left in the dining room, her slender hands clutching her skirts, twisting the material nervously. This was it... she was leaving. She walked out of the dining room as if in a trance, walking out into the courtyard to await Darcia. Her bags were already waiting for her. She glanced at them absently, idly wondering if she had packed enough. The thought left her mind as quickly as it had come, her mind overcome with the pictures she had seen of the splicings. She closed her eyes and took a steadying breath, trying to will the images away. She would be perfectly safe with Darcia. Her father trusted the Elf, so she would as well.

She told herself this many times, but still she stood alone, quite literally quaking in her boots. She pulled her long ponytail over her shoulder and ran her fingers through the silky chocolate locks. The sensation soothed her somewhat. She had a vague memory of her father running his finger's through her hair to comfort her. It always seemed to calm her nerves whenever she toyed with her hair.

Standing silently in the courtyard, she gazed at the house that had been her home her entire life. So many memories were tied to this house. She spent her half house reliving those memories, her eyes swimming with unshed tears.

Back
Top Bottom