Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Cool Ass Monsters in Myths

TotesBurger

Money, Hoes, Bionicles
Banished
I'm a lover of myths and legends... mostly for the monsters.
So let's talk about 'em.

What are some of your favorite myths about monsters and critters?

Being a fan of greek mythology, i've always had a soft spot for some of the monsters like Gorgons and Cyclops.

I like Nidhoggr of Norse mythology. Just a deflated lil' dragon dude, lazily chewing on the world tree for all eternity. It's a lifestyle I respect.

The Fomorians from Celtic mythology are also pretty cool, being a race of sea giants who like starting shit with humans for little reason beyond 'fuck humans.'

Oni, I think it'd be interesting to befriend one if they existed.
Baba yaga...I want her chicken leg house...

I really like the angels as they actually appear in the bible. All wings and eyes and just. Completely inhuman and weird. My favorite, for that exact reason, are the ophanim; interlocking sets of wheels covered in eyes and may or may not have wings.

Hulder are pretty cool too, with the rotten stump backs that they can be identified by. Some real fun imagery there.

Genies (Djinn). There's just something about the concept of them. These all powerful beings who are often incapable of using their vast abilities without it being for someone elses whim (often selfish whims). Some are benevolent and others malicious/spiteful. I wouldn't say they are inherently more interesting on paper than many other creatures of myth but something about their general aesthetics and limitations do something for me.

Back
Top Bottom