Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Parables (Shiva x MrAdam)

A thousand lies about Alice danced on the tip of Lea's tongue.

No no, she's my dad's sister, so she's no relation to Hannah...
She's actually my great aunt...
Well we call her aunt, but she's really just a family friend...

Anything but the truth would suffice. Lea's fingers twitched and she avoided Tom's gaze, so kind and gentle; hell he even looked concerned about her embarrassment. It was almost painful, like a cold hand gripping at her heart and squeezing slowly but going on long enough that she was sure it would burst. Maybe...maybe it was okay to tell him she had a parole officer. Tom didn't have to know everything that happened in Brussels, did he? She could just make up some stupid crime: counterfeit purses or something dumb like that, something the doctor would have no problem forgiving. But once she let that one small detail slip, who was to say he wouldn't go digging for more details on the case? Then the truth really would come out, and if he didn't already hate her for the crime, he would definitely hate her for lying about it.

Then Tom did a surprising favor for the panicking convict. "Is Alice your sponsor? Have you had problems with substance abuse?" his voice barely a whisper.

At first Lea was taken aback with the idea. Sure, she'd had a little too much to drink the other night, and she'd experimented a little bit with drugs in her college years, but she definitely wasn't an addict (she didn't like how coke made her twitchy, weed made her sleepy, and she'd been way too scared to try psychedelics considering how familiar she was with the works of Goya; no one needed to mix those images with hallucinogens). Ironically though, she'd had to go through mandatory substance counseling while in State as a preventative measure, the memory of which helped her through the foggy situation she now found herself in.

"It's...something like that," she said finally, with a blush on her cheeks. "Look, the thing is Tom...before I came to live with Hannah, I was in rehab." That was technically true; her file even said she was rehabilitated. And she was expected to submit to random drug tests every now and then, although since her crimes had nothing to do with alcohol she was excused from that one. But best of all it gave her an excuse to explain her whereabouts prior to her inauspicious arrival in Brighton Falls.

"It's not something I like to talk about, and Hannah's been good enough not to say anything about it either. My job knows too, and they've been really professional about it. I'm-I'm s-sorry I didn't tell you earlier." Dammit, why was she finding it so hard to say those last words? Because you're not sorry, and you haven't told him shit the wicked voice inside her scolded, but Lea did her best to ignore it. Ironically, she found herself very much in need of a drink, but instead comforted herself with a few more sips of her lukewarm coffee.

Sighing, she gave Tom a weak smile. "So, is this a dealbreaker for you? If it helps, I haven't touched anything harder than alcohol in--" She was about to say years, but that would shatter the lie about rehab, wouldn't it? "--a really long time. I don't even know if there are any dealers in this town, besides the pharmacy, and pills were never really my style. That's why I came to live here. A fresh start, you know?"

Boy trouble! You told him you came because of boy trouble! the wicked voice reminded her, nearly making her choke on her coffee. "My ex was my dealer," Lea added quickly, apropos of seemingly nothing. That statement was actually also true, although Antonio really only sold shit as a side hustle and never bothered giving any to her, and he always seemed to have a healthy stash for his own personal use.

She tried to think of something else to say, anything that would help turn the conversation back to a brighter path. But no words would come, so Lea just stared helplessly across the table at Tom, waiting for...anything. Scolding, an apology, a request to lose his number...anything at all.

Tom shook his head, his soft blue-grey eyes full of compassion and understanding. He felt... something welling up inside him... it was as if he could feel her pain, her anguish. Everything she'd been through. He couldn't even imagine. It wasn't just pity, though... it was admiration, respect... she'd succeeded... was succeeding, he reminded himself, it never goes away... once an addict and all that. He thought back to his time working at city clinics... all those people, so many without hope and without help. Whether the obvious desperation of the homeless meth addict or the quieter desperation of the suburban soccer mom addicted to pain killers. Many were self-medicating, numbing pain and trauma. For others... lives of promise derailed by a few poor decisions that could not be undone. Except by making a few good decisions, and then a few more good decisions. And now here Lea was.

Was he... feeling slightly overcome... he was certainly blinking more than usual.
You don't make good decisions when you get like this. Step back. Take a moment. Think about what... hello? You're not even listening, are you?

"No, it's not a deal breaker, Lea" he said, slowly, reaching to take her hands in his once more.
"I mean... I knew... I didn't know... but I knew... knew there was something... boy trouble, you know. Something." Tom felt he was blabbering. Do try making sense.
"I'm sorry, Lea. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I'm sorry that I made you tell me. It's your story, I had no right to... I should just have waved, you know? I didn't have to come over. I should have... oh, I don't know."
He was silent for a moment.
"But I'm not sorry that you told me, and I'm not sorry that I know. And I feel...."
Words eluded him. He tried again, giving her hands a gentle squeeze. His expression was serious, he sought and held eye contact.
"I feel honoured that you trusted me with this" he said. "It's not a deal breaker" he repeated. "Obviously, don't... you know..."
Idiot.
"But you should feel so proud of yourself, Lea" he continued, changing tack.
That's better.
"Going through all that... coming out the other side. Seeing what you needed to do, and then doing it. And now, building yourself a new life here."
"You Catholics had the Prodigal Son too, right?" he asked, smiling, "I mean, we've all done things we regret. We've all made a mess of things. We've all made mistakes. And sometimes it's easier to keep making them than to admit it and do something about it. And you've done something about it... and I admire you so much for that, Lea. I don't know if Alice said she's proud of you... but I am. And if you want to build something different for yourself, then... yeah, it's not a deal breaker."
Tom smiled at her, and squeezed her hands reassuringly.

He had known. He had known... something. Whether he'd known he'd known or not, he wasn't sure. But this felt like a big moment. It felt like a veil had been lifted, or... that the elephant that was in the room had made its way to the exit in an orderly fashion. Now that this was out in the open, he wouldn't need to keep tiptoeing around the thing he didn't know he was tiptoeing around.

He wondered if this was the moment. He thought back to that image he'd had in his head, when he'd wished on the shooting star on the way back from their date.
His back garden.... the apple sapling now well on the way to being an apple tree, with Tom and Lea sitting out back on patio chairs drinking coffee in happy companionable silence, watching two young children of indeterminate age and appearance racing around the garden playing some game or other. Although otherwise indistinct, one - probably the older, probably a boy - had Lea's black hair, and the other - younger, probably a girl - had his dark blonde hair, tied back in a neat ponytail.

Would future Tom and future Lea look back on this moment... would this be the moment when, in hindsight, they knew? That this was serious. Meant to be. Not Sprained Ankle Day, not Apple Tree Day. But Scary Sponsor in the Cafe Day?

Tom really was too good to be real. When Lea looked across the table at him there was no judgment in his eyes, no disgust, only sympathy. He even touched her, his warm hands suffusing her own with new strength and courage. It was almost enough to make her want to tell him the truth, the real truth, and if a man hadn't died because of her, maybe she would have. But Tonio's death would always be hanging over her head, despite how hard she tried not to think of it. To go so far as to speak of it seemed a herculean task, so she continued to say nothing.

It took all her efforts to hold back the shameful tears anyway.

"I'm sorry, Lea. I'm sorry this happened to you, and I'm sorry that I made you tell me. It's your story, I had no right to..."
Dear God, was Tom actually apologizing? Lea roughly dashed the back of her hand against her eyes, smearing her mascara a little, then let out a little laugh as she shook her head.

"Don't be, Tom, please," she insisted. This time it was her turn to give his hands a reassuring squeeze. "I told you the other night that I liked you. And I'm always worried there are things about me that...well..." She bit a painted lip. "I'm worried they'll make you not like me. This is the first time since I got out that any guy has shown any interest in me, and the fact that he's so nice...and smart...and handsome..." That flirtatious glint from the other night had flickered back into her eyes as she smiled. "It just seems like you could do so much better than a fuckup like me that I don't dare hope for anything more. But when we were on our date, I did start hoping, and I just didn't want those hopes to crash and burn so quickly."

"But you should feel so proud of yourself, Lea,"
he continued, not realizing the words delivered a new barb to her heart. No, she wasn't proud, not at all. She was a liar, a thief, a slut, and according to some people, even a murderer. There would be no return of the Prodigal Daughter to the Barsotti clan; both the authorities and her family had seen to that. If she didn't get arrested for breaking parole as soon as she passed the city limits, then no doubt one of Bobby's hit squads would be happy to corner her in some isolated parking garage and show her what happened when dumb broads betrayed their people.

"...And if you want to build something different for yourself, then yeah, it's not a deal breaker,"
Tom finished, Lea blushing as she realized she'd only been half-listening to him. But that last statement did resonate with something deep inside her.

Lea tilted her chin up almost defiantly. "I do want something different for myself," she stated. "I don't know what, exactly. I spent so many years mourning over what I learned I couldn't be that it wasn't until recently that I started thinking about all the things I could still achieve." She would never be a professional gymnast now. Nor would she ever get the cushy museum job her father would have set up for her otherwise. She could still get married and have kids she supposed (she even still wanted them, desperately, though this didn't seem like an appropriate time to share that with Tom), but it wouldn't be to any of her father or brothers' rich political colleagues or business partners.

Anything Lea wanted now, she would need to go out and get for herself. The days of handouts were long over, and would probably never come back.

"There is one thing I'd kind of like..." she continued, her voice a little more shy now. "I'd really like to go out with you again, Tom. Anywhere. Dinner, a movie, even that silly fall festival coming up next weekend. Anything at all. I won't even drink, if that makes you uncomfortable." The idea of trying to get through another date without her liquid courage was a bit daunting, but if it would keep her from acting like a fucking idiot around Tom, Lea decided she could forgo it. She wasn't about to get rejected for sex twice in a row, that was for sure.

Tom's eyes widened in mock shock. Scandalized, he placed his finger against his lips, glancing left and right to see if anyone had heard.
"Don't let anyone hear you say that!" he hissed, "The Brigton Falls Fall Festival isn't...." He mouthed the word 'silly', as if it were a blasphemy he was unwilling to repeat.
"Look, it's one thing telling me you were in ree-eee-haitch-aay-bee, but it's quite another admitting that you think.... that you think that thing you think about the Fall Festival! It's not quite the Unforgivable Sin against the Holy Spirit, but it's up there. They take it really seriously round here. I blame Hannah for not telling you... I blame Hannah for most things."
He grinned. "I'd love to take you to the Festival, Lea. Don't promise not to drink until you've at least tried the spiced punch, but it's up to you. I'll be trying some, if only to see if it's as good as last year."

Tom knew he couldn't just hide behind attempts to lighten the mood.
"Listen, Lea... maybe we're right for each other, maybe we're not. But I really want to find out. I don't know... you might think someone like me can do better than you, but cards on the table, Lea..... honestly.... I'm thinking the same thing about you. Once you realise there's a whole world of guys who don't deal drugs for a living and who don't..... "
Tom decided to divert the destination of that sentence away from nightclub restrooms.
".... and who will treat you with the respect and kindness that you deserve. Once you get a bit more of your confidence and self-esteem back and start seeing yourself a bit more like others see you... how I see you.... well, maybe then I'm too dull and 'small town' for you and you find someone who knows more about art and wine and culture. But that's how it's meant to be, right? Otherwise we just date people who we reckon can't do any better than us, and that doesn't make much sense. I-"

Tom broke off for a moment, glancing towards the rear of the cafe, a movement catching his eye. It was Ryan, the Reverend Noah's son-in-law who was part of the group of early morning hikers they had encountered on Sprained Ankle Day. Ryan had been part of the group discussing Tom's trail run event plans, and had evidently been deputized to find out where Tom had got to, and if he was coming back. Tom was aware that he was still holding Lea's hands, and that Ryan had either already noticed or was about to. He felt an instinct to release them, but rather than acting on it, squeezed her hands. Fortunately, Ryan seemed to have better instincts about when to interrupt and when not to, and rather than approach, he instead held up a hand in half-apology for almost-interrupting and mouthed 'sorry', before performing theatrical tiptoe back to their table. Would Ryan be discreet? Tom wasn't sure - he liked Ryan, but Ryan would have no reason to cover for him. Likely he'd make a joke of it. Taking a particular interest in one of his patients or ditched us for a better offer. Something like that.

"Sorry..." Tom continued, "I was here for coffee and cake with a bunch of people spitballing ideas about a regular running or walking event up in the woods by the Falls... encourage people to be more active, get the community involved, that sort of thing. If you want to be involved in some way, that would be great, but it's very much optional. We haven't even worked out what it is yet... people pulling in different directions...."

"Anyway" he continued, with a shrug and a smile.
"You've not scared me off yet, Lea. You'll have to do better than that. I really enjoy your company... you're smart, you're witty... you have this sparkle, this energy. Oh, and you're beautiful. Did I tell you that? I should have told you that. So... if you've put your past behind you, I'd like to see what's in our future."

Lea couldn't help but smile against Tom's touch. "So it's even a big deal to you, huh?" She knew Hannah was definitely excited about the upcoming festivities, along with a few of the people she knew from church and the regular patrons at the flower shop. Even grumpy Mrs. Linford seemed to be looking forward to the event, insisting the flower shop be closed for the day so all the employees could attend. "What, are they going to sacrifice a virgin to ensure a good harvest or something?" the woman teased, but the remark was quickly overshadowed with genuine joy when the doctor asked her to join him.

In a way, the idea of accompanying a handsome small-town doctor to a quaint autumn festival was so wholesome as to almost be ridiculous. Tom himself was being so wholesome it was almost ridiculous, but there was such sincerity in those sweet eyes of his...it touched something at Lea's core, resonating and warm that kindled the irresistible hope she'd tried so hard over the years to kill. As a child, her brothers had teased her about her little girl crushes on faceless princes, handsome and kind, and the one time in high school she'd dared to date a boy not hand-picked by the family, they'd teased her about his polite manners and quiet ways. He ain't no man they'd said. He's a wuss, a pussy, a simp. He ain't good enough for the likes of you, Lea.

Or was it that Lea wasn't good enough for the likes of a guy who worked an honest job? Who had respectable friends and a well-earned social status in the community? Well, either way now there weren't any brothers around to scare Tom away. And if he liked her, if he really liked her the way he was implying, then why shouldn't she take him up on his offer? Maybe sometimes things really did play out the way they did in romance novels, especially in cute country villages like Brighton Falls. What was the harm in believing, in giving it all a chance?

"You aren't dull at all, Tom," Lea said slowly, resting her hand on top of his. "And I like the 'small town' things about you. In fact, I haven't figured out one thing yet not to like about you, and usually I'm pretty good at that." She added with a wink.

She suspected Tom was in the middle of saying something else in response, when suddenly the words cut off, and his gaze turned to a booth in the back of the cafe. The woman's dark eyes followed, and she recognized a few of the faces she'd seen back on the mountain when she'd fallen. More judgmental gazes that made her blood run cold. But she still kept hold of the doctor's hand, and even raised her chin a little defiantly after she'd gathered her strength. Maybe Tom might have thought Lea was good enough for him, but she suspected others in the community weren't of such an accepting nature.

Well let them say something to her face about it then. Unless they really were planning to sacrifice someone at the fall festival, there was nothing the townspeople of Brighton Falls could do to scare her. And even better, they didn't seem to scare Tom either.

"Me too," she said after he mentioned their future. "So...I'll meet you at the festival on opening day then? Hannah and Jake said something about volunteering and asked if I wanted to come. I was just going to plan on staying home and organizing my closet, but this sounds a little more fun..."

The days until the festival seemed to crawl by, although Lea would never admit how much she was looking forward to it. Hannah seemed to suspect it regardless, and through her vast network of informants (or pure witchcraft; her cousin was never quite sure about the nurse's methods) she soon found out the doctor and the apprentice florist would be attending the event together.

"You two are simply adorable!" the nurse gushed as she dug through Lea's closet, trying to help her cousin pick out the perfect outfit for the cool October afternoon. "Can you imagine what your children will look like, if they get Tom's eyes and your hair? I'm gonna spoil them rotten!"

"Will you chill out for two minutes Han? Jesus, it's our second official date. Nothing to lose your mind about," Lea sighed as she sat before her mirror, carefully applying her makeup. There were dark circles under her eyes from several sleepless nights over the past few weeks. Not just from her excitement about the upcoming date, but work had been stressful the past few days. Someone had been calling the flower shop almost every night before closing, saying nothing for several moments, and hanging up. Not only that, but there had been a strange black car parked across the street--always in a different spot, so as to avoid ticketing, but there nonetheless. The car had been empty every time Lea had approached, but something about it unnerved her.

She hadn't told Hannah about either of these events so far, not wanting to worry her, but the nurse was so busy with wardrobe duty that she may not have even noticed. "Okay, here you go. You'll fit in perfect, but if you wear that necklace of Grandma's, you'll stand out just enough to keep Tom's eye on you. Not that I think you'll need much help in that regard," Hannah added with a wink, passing her cousin a pair of jeans that would definitely highlight her toned rear, as well as a wine colored sweater that perfectly matched her favorite shade of lipstick and hugged her curves perfectly. A silver cross that both cousins shared as an heirloom and a pair of cheap hoop earrings were all the adornment Lea needed, although the dark-haired woman did add a wide-brimmed brown hat to shield her eyes against the sun.

Once Hannah was satisfied with her appearance (she herself was dressed in a simple festival sweatshirt marking herself as Staff, the same one Jake was already wearing as he waited in the car), the trio was off to the Brighton Falls Memorial Park, a wide-open space along the river that had transformed into a village of tents and trailers seemingly overnight. A small carnival had set up a few questionable rides at one end of the park, while at the far end a few local musicians were rehearsing in the old band shell at the heart of the amphitheater. The trees surrounding the park almost seemed to be aflame in shades of red and orange, and the smell of food and freshness was heavy on the breeze that rippled through the park.

Hannah and Jake quickly departed to tend to their volunteer duties, leaving Lea to wait at the appointed spot by the statue of John Brighton at the center of the park. Tom would be there soon, she was sure, and in the meantime there was plenty of people watching to be had, though the day was still early. Lea had busied herself watch a few children playing with a remote controlled car, when she thought she heard her name being called.

Looking over her shoulder, she glanced around for any sign of Tom, but saw none. Someone else was watching her though, a young man with dark hair and eyes in a leather jacket, his short, brawny form half concealed behind the shadow of a trailer selling Mexican food.

It can't be...

Something hit her foot, and when Lea looked down she saw the toy car the children had been playing with crashing against her foot. A small chorus of "Sorry!" quickly surrounded her, and after assuring the kids she wasn't upset with them, the woman looked back in the direction of the dark haired man. But he was gone.

Tom had mixed feelings about Scary Sponsor in the Coffee Shop Day. On the one hand, he'd gotten - accidentally - to the bottom of the mystery that he hadn't realised was a mystery... the myster-Lea, he thought. There was always something... boy trouble. He'd always known... something he was navigating around. And today he'd plowed straight into it. But... it had turned out okay. He thought he'd handled it well... he felt good about himself. She'd handled it well. She'd told the truth. And that was important. And perhaps now he knew, and she knew he knew, they could move forward to the next stage, whatever that might be.

As well as resolving the mystery, it also - potentially - resolved another question that troubled him. That Lea was a tourist, down here on a retreat or a sabbatical, and that he was the entertainment... the holiday romance. And of course, she might still move on... but it seemed less inevitable. Brighton Falls had its own minor problems with drugs, he knew, but it wasn't everywhere nor everything in the way it was in parts of the cities. If you wanted anything more than alcohol or a bit of weed, it was more effort and more risk to find it here than in the cities. Once an addict, always an addict, and there were good arguments for small town life as a temptation avoidance device... unless it turned out to be so dull that pharmacology offered the only relief. But it all meant that Lea might decide to stay... or at least made it much less improbable.

But the revelation raised a new concern. Lea liked him. He should admit this to himself. I haven't figured out one thing yet not to like about you, she'd said. She didn't want those hopes to crash and burn so quickly, she said. And that troubled him. They'd been for one date, and that had gone... well, call it nine out of ten. They both wanted to see each other again... they were both drawn to each other. But she was... and is... an addict. This was troubling in two ways. Firstly... he wasn't sure he could have a (future) wife who abused drugs.... or who still abused drugs, anyway. He could hide behind professional justifications and tell himself it was because of his access to medication and status in the community. But personally... in the various ways he'd pictured his future life and the various forms that his future wife had taken, in none of them did she have a drug problem.

For Richer for Poorer, of course... in sickness and in health.... you just never knew what life would throw at you in terms of illness and injury. A drug user might relapse, but so might someone who'd had cancer. Or who had a family history of certain conditions. That was just the same, wasn't it? Sort of. Anyway, he reminded himself, you're getting to an age where women you meet are going to have lived lives... you're old not to be married... you're at the point between first and second marriages. You have baggage and a history of your own. If you want a girl who's not lived a life... who's probably still a virgin... there's always sweet little Phillipa.

But he didn't want sweet little Philippa. Perhaps he was wrong not to. But he didn't.

There was another worry too, An arrogant one. What happened if her hopes did crash and burn... what happened if you crashed and burned her hopes? What would happen then? Would that trigger a relapse? It was the height of arrogance to believe that he possessed that power. It was the height of irresponsibility to not at least he consider that he might. Maybe not after a second date, but after a third, fourth... twentieth. After a month? A year? Could he end up staying with her because of fear of the consequences of what might happen if he didn't? Maybe. Or maybe she'd crash and burn his hopes... or maybe... he thought about his daydream of the sapling grown into an apple tree, and children playing happily in the garden.

The world was maybes. Worry about maybes and you never do anything. His flippant remark about the Prodigal Son came back to him. This was different, of course. The Prodigal Son returned to his father, seeking and being granted forgiveness. More than forgiveness. Joy at his return. Such joy as to provoke the jealousy of the Constant Son... with whom Tom had always had some sympathy. It was not Tom's place to grant forgiveness to Lea, of course. And he wasn't sure that Lea was a sinner in the same way as the Prodigal Son... not if addition was a disease, nor a moral failing, as his medical training told him. Of course, the choices we make will make addiction more or less likely, but the same is true of Type 2 Diabetes.

This was all very difficult. The only conclusions that Tom could come to was that Lea's addict genuinely wasn't a deal breaker for him. But that at some point he needed to know more. To understand. But that could wait. It was too soon in thelr relationship for him to insist on that information.

Tom arrived - late - at the Memorial Park. Morning consultations had ran later that they always did, and he'd underestimated how long it would take him to get home, park up, and walk back to the park through the extra Falls Festival traffic and crowds. He'd swapped his suit trousers for midnight blue jeans and a sturdy pair of walking boots, and upgraded his tweed blazer to a warmer jacket over his crisp white shirt. The tie had gone too, replaced in spirit with a burgundy scarf around his neck. He'd stuffed a matching woolen hat into his jacket pocket in case it got colder later.

He caught sight of Lea in the distance, looking lovely, as always. He called out a greeting and headed over. Probably the sun was in her eyes in spite of the hat, as she appeared to have heard him but not seen him... no doubt the kids and their toy car had distracted her. He called out again and hurried over to greet her with a peck on the cheek and a hug.

Tom had been forgotten for a few moments as Lea's eyes scanned for any sign of the dark haired man, but all that caught her eye instead was the red scarf around the doctor's neck, the same shade as her own sweater and a particularly favorite color of hers. The dark figure evaporated from her thought like a shadow before Tom's light, and she smiled warmly as he approached with outstretched arms.

"I was worried you'd forgotten about me," she teased, resting her head against his chest a moment and breathing in the smell of his aftershave. Even though she doubted the doctor had ever been in a fistfight in his life, somehow Lea still felt safer with him beside her, his strong arm around her shoulders as she reached up to touch his hand. Her face took on an almost defiant expression as she stared off in the direction where she'd seen the other man. Just let him try to approach her with Tom at her side. Who would dare?

Well, Mr. and Mrs. Linford dared, for one. The couple caught up with Tom and Lea as they were waiting in line for hot cider, the former smiling genially as he shook the doctor's hand while his wife pressed her lips into a thin line as she looked her employee up and down with vague disapproval.

Mr. Linford ignored his wife entirely. "So the rumors are true!" the greenhouse owner laughed as he clapped Tom on the shoulder. "This one heard some gossip that you were dating the new girl in town, but she didn't believe it." he jabbed a thumb in his wife's direction, who only shrugged nonchalantly.

"People are always talking," Mrs. Linford commented. "I'm far too busy to investigate the veracity of such inconsequential statements. Nor is it any of my business with whom Miss Barsotti spends her time, so long as it doesn't affect her work."

"Bah, don't listen to her," her husband scoffed playfully. "She's as bad as any of the the other old ladies in town, for as serious as she tries to be. Let's get a little of that mulled wine in her though, and you'll see her spirits perk up right quick." Mr. Linford winked towards Lea, who couldn't help but smile. She had always liked Mr. Linford, his unquestioning warmth and generosity in giving her a job despite her past, even going so far as to give her the poor little apple tree sapling free of charge. And even Mrs. Linford, for her coldness and seriousness, was still a fair woman willing to overlook the convict's colorful history as long as she worked hard and did a good job in the flower shop.

But both of them knew the truth about Lea's past, and realizing that made her tense up a little as she leaned closer against Tom. Thankfully, Mrs. Linford only saw this as a distasteful public display of attention, while Mr. Linford seemed to find it downright adorable.

"By the way, Tom, your neighbor mentioned that new apple tree in your back yard. Sounds like it's growing real well, hm?" he added with a knowing smile. He'd waited until Lea was locked in conversation with his wife about some work matter or another before letting his voice drop to a whisper.

"In all seriousness, I think it's real nice that you're taking a chance with that little gal. I know Lea's made some mistakes, but I'll be you anything it's her family that was the root of the problem. I had a real long talk with Hannah before I hired her, and the way she talks about 'em it sounds like they're all a rotten bunch. Here's hoping she finds a good reason to stay in Brighton Falls though; away from all that rubbish, eh?" He gave the doctor a playful shove on the shoulder before taking his wife by the arm. "Now come on Margie, let's leave these two young folks to their business. Don't want to make a nuisance of ourselves!"

After assuring Lea she would see her when the store opened tomorrow, regardless of what mischief the young lady might get up to today, Mrs. Linford dutifully followed after her husband, leaving the younger couple alone to sip their cider beneath the radiant maple trees.

"Well," Lea said after they'd left, a soft blush coloring her cheeks. "That's my boss. Bosses technically, I guess," she chuckled, raising the cardboard cup to her lips. "I thought for sure Mrs. L was going to say something about my lipstick being too dark, or maybe that scuff on your shoe. She's got a thing about perfection, you know. It's crazy she and Mr. L have been married so long, right? Almost forty years, he told me, and he definitely isn't planning to go anywhere." Forty years. It occurred to her that her own parents would have celebrated that milestone last year, although at the time she hadn't thought to send them any congratulations. She probably never would, not unless they reached out to her first.

"He's a really good guy, isn't he?" she mused as she finished the cup, tossing it gracefully into a nearby trash can. "I might see if he'll take me back in the nursery next summer. I really like working with flowers in the shop, but I miss being outside. That'll probably change once winter hits though."

Was she really planning for next summer? Her parole would be over by then, and she would be a truly free woman. She could go anywhere she wanted, even back to Newport if it took her fancy. She'd need to work hard to save enough money to make it there, or anywhere that wasn't a small town really. Lea wasn't afraid of hard work though, she even reveled in it. Work gave you a purpose, a way to fill the hours and earn palpable results, even if they were as unglamorous as a new pair of shoes and a studio apartment.

But anywhere else she might go wouldn't have Tom. It wouldn't have Jake and Hannah. It probably wouldn't even have a park as lovely as this one, with the wind occasionally sending a scarlet leaf to get caught in Lea's dark hair, and the distant sound of the river harmonizing with the rustle of the trees.

You don't need to decide today Lea told herself as she hugged her knees to her chest. Just enjoy it all. You've earned it.

"So, what's your favorite part of the famous Brighton Falls Fall Festival?" she grinned, looking back at the doctor. "You don't strike me as much of ferris wheel guy. Are you any good at carnival games? Or...I know." Her face went serious. "You really enjoy a good craft fair, don't you Tom? Do we need to go find you a nice painting of a sad clown? Or maybe a new tea cozy?"

Inexplicably, Tom had pictured this date as just the two of them at the Fall Festival, rather than what it very obviously would be... the two of them at the Fall Festival along with almost everyone that either of them knew in the whole of Brighton Falls and surrounding districts. He'd had some Hallmark-style montage of the two of them enjoying the Festival in his mind, all rich autumnal tones, hot cider, and just enough chill in the air to make a virtue of feeling all wrapped, snug and warm. Rather than what it was, which was at least some of those things, plus 'coming out' as a couple to the whole community. Then again, it felt like the whole community knew even when they'd left Brighton Falls to go for dinner, so perhaps it didn't matter. Also... their presence together had the effect of telling nearly everyone at once, which would save some time.

Funny to think that they'd only been out for one date. Unless you count accidental meetings... running in the woods.... in the Coffee Shop, which Tom didn't. And the... not so much blind date as ambush date. Which Tom definitely didn't count. It was strange... he didn't know how Lea felt, but for his part, he felt much more than second-date-comfortable around Lea. He'd greeted her with a hug and a peck on the cheek, and now she was leaning affectionately into him as they talked to Mr and Mrs Linford. He felt comfortable with Lea and around Lea... it felt like his arm fitted perfectly around her shoulders and she was exactly the right size to snuggle closer to him.

People he - or Lea - knew well, like the Linfords, was one thing... people who would come and talk to them. But there were others too, people he knew less well, who he'd see noticing and.... not quite doing a double take, but a second glance to be make sure, and then taking a mental note. It wasn't as if he was expecting acquaintances to come over and congratulate them both, or that he was seeing any hostility or judgement from anyone. But it still wasn't an entirely comfortable feeling, knowing they would be the subject of gossip... even the benign kind.

Tom thought that Mrs Linford thought him too young to be a doctor, and in all respects an inferior and unworthy successor to Dr Grant, whose retirement had created the vacancy. Probably she was right about that, but it would be a while before he could compete with thirty years' service to the community. It had occurred to him that Mr Linford must be one of the most amazing human beings to even come close to Mrs Linford's doubtless-stringent requirements for potential husbands. On further reflection, that wasn't so hard to believe. He was a warm, kind, cheerful, and deeply humane man.

Tom told Mr Linford that Fred looked to be thriving and asked him a few questions about tree care, at which point Mrs Linford tuned out entirely. Tom nodded solemnly in response to his observations about her family. He couldn't help a slight needle of resentment that Hannah had seen fit to have a long talk with the Linfords, but not said a word to him before she'd tried to match make. Hannah was a registered nurse, after all... she should have seen the issues with access to controlled medications. But then... securing Lea a job was more important than securing her a date, so perhaps he had no right to feel annoyed. It was a good thing that he knew what Mr Linford was talking about... if he'd arranged his meeting somewhere other than the Coffee Shop he'd have had no idea, and this would be awkward beyond words. But the family element was a detail that he didn't know, and now did, so that was good information.
"Well" said Tom, "she's taking a chance on me, too!"

Tom agreed with Lea's assessment of Mr Linford's character, and told her that Mrs Linford didn't really approve of his doctoring either. But it took him a few moments to recognise the import of what Lea had said about going back to the nursery for the summer months.

"Yeah, it's good to be outdoors" he agreed, as the penny dropped.

She's staying she's staying she's staying she's staying she's probably staying she's talking as if she's staying she's at least thinking about staying she's staying she's staying that's brilliant she's staying she might be staying she's not a tourist she might stay her!

Tom didn't say anything out loud, but suddenly smiled a broad grin and kissed her gently on the lips for a moment, moving away and smiling fondly at her.

"Oh, you couldn't be more wrong about me and Ferris Wheels. When I was a teenager, they were always my favourite part of any Fair. You big city types have no idea. It's a dance as old as time... or old as Ferris Wheels, anyway... gallant young buck asks his date if she wants to ride the ferris wheel. She pretends to be all coy and nervous - she says she doesn't like really like heights. It's okay, though... he gets to be all reassuring and put his arm round her and hold her hand. Then it's just the two of them ascending skywards.... very slowly skywards... and for a short time, if they're lucky... it's just the two of them sat next to each other... going round a ferris wheel... hidden in plain sight. And if you're used to being watched like a hawk, it's practically privacy up there. And it's an amazing view, and more than kinda romantic. So I'm definitely asking you if you want to go on the ferris wheel - you don't even have to pretend to be scared of heights."

"And while I'll bow to your superior knowledge of art and art history, I reckon there's no such thing as a nice painting of a sad clown".

Oh, when Tom kissed her like that she would have done anything he asked. How was this even real? It was a good thing they were out in public, with probably the entire populace of Brighton Falls around them, otherwise Lea wasn't sure she could have kept herself from attacking him right then and there. Even as he pulled away she was quick to wrap her arms around his waist, letting her chin rest on his chest as she grinned up at him, letting him wax poetic on ferris wheels as though they were the most fascinating subject on the planet.

"Clowns actually terrify me," the woman admitted with a laugh and a little squeeze. "I think if you were to put one of those paintings up in your house, it would probably have an unfortunate accident." Lea paused, and her smile became sheepish. "Then again, that's probably not the best way for me to win an invitation back to your place anytime soon, is it?"

She had secretly been hoping that after they were done at the park, Tom would ask her to come back to his place. Probably just for a drink, maybe a movie. He was chaste as ever with her, and the doctor's iron resolve showed no sign of weakening even as she took his hand in hers and led him towards the amusement rides at the far end of the park. Even if Tom didn't want to do anything though, it would nice to get some alone time with him again, away from the eyes that were both judgmental and curious, supportive and smug as they watched the pair move through the crowd. Lea was even looking forward to climbing into the questionably-assembled metal wheel, currently being operated by a heavily tattooed woman with a mullet and a cigarette, muttering in what sounded like Russian under her breath.

"You sure about this?" Lea teased as they stepped into the swinging metal car, sliding close up against the doctor's side. "If this thing falls apart and we fall to our deaths, I fully expect you to put me back together again."

Despite her fears, the metal bar clicked heavily over their laps, and soon the pair were swinging forward and up, rising above the trees and granting them a sweeping view of the entire park. It was just dark enough that the lights of the various booths and rides were beginning to click on, and down at the bandshell she could dimly hear a local band's music beginning to swell into a raucous tune. "Are you a dancer, Tom?" Lea asked suddenly, looking at the doctor with new interest. Not that she was expecting Fred Astaire, but God it had been so long since she had danced...

As if Tom had predicted it, the ferris wheel suddenly stopped when they'd reached its apex, leaving the pair perched at the top with their car swinging gently in the autumn breeze. The woman narrowed her eyes suspiciously, but smiled all the same. "Did you plan this?" she accused, squeezing his hand a little. If he had, the doctor was even more of a romantic than she had suspected.

Yet again, the idea that Lea, the convicted art thief Lea Barsotti, the daughter of one of the most wanted criminals in the country and now nothing more than a broke flower shop girl, could be part of such a beautiful scene seemed impossible. These things didn't happen to girls like her, the bad girls who hurt people, who stole things, who got caught and locked away. She should have ended up like the woman running the ride, with no hope and no prospects, but here she was. A kind and gentle doctor who was too beautiful to live was beside her, and looking at her as though she was the real prize to be won.

Lea couldn't be sure who had initiated the kiss. She probably did it, leaning forward and stroking Tom's cheek as she pressed her lips to his. Or maybe he had pulled her closer into his warmth as a chill came into the wind and the ride began to move again, bringing them back down to earth again. All she knew was that when she finally pulled back, the ground was coming closer again, making her stomach to a little flip in a notably unpleasant way.

It reminded her of descending from the roof of the Brussels museum during that last job. Over seven years' imprisonment she'd had plenty of time to think about the mistakes of that night, and dropping from the skylight too quickly had been the first. The alarms had been cut, but she'd landed too quickly, her boots clattering on the marble floors and drawing the attention of a security guard who would never get to go home.

Stop thinking about that! That's over! she scolded herself, knuckles turning white as she gripped the lap bar. A few more turns and the ride came to a stop, and Lea was more than ready to escape the confines of the metal contraption. She even let go of Tom's hand as she practically ran down the steps and back into the main concourse, although she did stop there long enough to make sure the doctor was still with her.

"I ah...I need to run to the restroom for a moment. Wait for me here?" she asked, not waiting for an answer before darting off to a concrete building behind the Catholic church concession tent. There Lea thought she would be sick, but after several deep breaths and a splash of water across the face, she eventually calmed herself enough to venture back out in the crowd. Brussels was a thousand miles away, and she would never step foot in the National Museum again. She was safe here, in this sleepy little town, with a good man who was no doubt waiting out there for her in worry, and perhaps if she could just keep her shit together, she might even get to go home with him...

Lea's eyes were scanning the crowd when she stepped back outside, but the face they fell upon wasn't Tom's. It was that of a short man with high cheekbones, olive skin, artfully disheveled black hair and glittering eyes like that of a predator. His nose had been broken at some point, and he revealed a few chipped teeth when he smiled at her.

"Hey Lea. Long time no see," the young man greeted with the unmistakable Newport accent. He reached into the pocket of his leather jacket and the woman tensed, expecting him to draw a weapon. But instead it was just a pack of cigarettes and a Zippo lighter, the latter emblazoned with an Italian flag. "Took me a while to find you. Cig?"

Was he really offering her a cigarette, as though nothing had happened over the past seven years? Shock turned to anger, and Lea's hand clenched into a fist. "You need to get the fuck out of here, Frank. You got no business here, and no business with me. The judge said I'm not supposed to have anything to do with any felons, and last time I checked you were still buried in all of Bobby's shit."

Please Lea prayed, trying to keep her gaze fixed on the man's face so he wouldn't see where she was looking. Please don't let Tom see him...

"Um.... I'll be honest, the safety of these things isn't an issue that ever crossed my mind before. It's probably fine, right? I mean there's no 'X days since the last accident' sign, so that's probably good. If it goes horribly wrong, I'll put you back together pro bono... if a sprained ankle is worth a sapling, a full spinal reconstruction is likely to be worth a small wood, and I'm not sure I have the space in my back yard. But if the wheel breaks and we get stuck up here, we'll just have to snuggle together to generate our own warmth."

Tom admired the view as the clanking carriage clattered and clunked higher and higher. He'd forgotten that what looked like only a modest height from the sanctuary of terra firma looked so much higher to the observer... the participant... looking down. Everyone and everything looked smaller, and he could see more and further, and from above. He was surprised how far and how much he could see... the town... his world.... seemed so much smaller. He couldn't see all of it, even from up here, but it was a reminder. Although he didn't literally believe that God lived in the clouds, the metaphor was a pervasive one, and Tom couldn't help but imagine God looking down over him in turn, just has he gazed down on the town. He hoped that he and Lea met with His approval. Tom wasn't sure whether God really did have a plan for him or for anyone... where did that leave free will, after all. But he hoped he approved.

"I do dance, but I'm not a dancer" he said, in response to Lea's query, reminding himself of a song that was never off the radio a few years back. "By which I mean I'm probably terrible, but I tend not to care after a drink or two."

He paused for a moment, gazing fondly at Lea. She was a dancer, he was almost positive. Was it possible to be a gymnast without being a dancer too? Likely she'd make him look like a plodding oaf, but he wouldn't care. She'd be spectacular, he was sure of it. She was spectacular. He wanted to dance with her.... he wanted her. She was sat right next to him... he could feel her presence, her physicality. She was dressed sensibly in jeans and a wine-coloured sweater.... quite a tight sweater, admittedly. He wondered how on earth he had managed to resist her on their last date, wearing that dress. Had things changed between them... for him at least... the revelation about her past... was that it? And now, being out together in front of the whole town. Was that why? Did that make it a committed relationship? He knew what he wanted the answer to be, but he wasn't sure. Was it because he was more drawn to her as an 'everyday' beauty than a 'date night' beauty? Did she seem more real to him?

"I bet you look good on the dance floor" he said, with a grin. Apparently he was communicating mainly through song lyrics tonight. "I'd like to find out for myself. Give me a chance to tip a a warming and dis-inhibiting beverage down my throat, and I apologise in advance for treading on your feet!"

"If by 'did you plan this' you mean 'did you know they have to stop the wheel to let people on and off and that leaves each car stationary at the apex for a few moments', then guilty as charged".

She squeezed his hand. She squeezed her hand. They smiled at each other. And then they were kissing. A few moments of utter bliss. They kissed as the wheel started to turn once more, moving apart only as they started to approach the ground. She stayed close, though, his arm around her shoulders, her snuggling into him. Everything was wonderful.

Until it wasn't.

Something was wrong. Tom wasn't sure what it was. He thought she looked pale, but it was hard to be sure in the half-light. She was certainly gripping hard on the safety bar. He wanted to ask what was wrong, but didn't. Some instinct told him not to, not yet. He racked his brains for anything he might have said, might have done.... and concluded that he didn't think it was him. Or least nothing he'd done. That he could think of. He wondered for a moment if she was scared of heights... had him joking about it put her off telling him that she really was.... that seemed the most likely explanation. But still, his instincts told him not to ask. Instead, he gently squeezed her other hand, trying to be reassuring.

When they reached the ground, she bolted for the restroom. He muttered something to the effect that he'd wait for her by the ferris wheel exit. Perhaps she'd just eaten something that disagreed with her? Oh Lord, don't be appendicitis. Please don't be appendicitis. Or food poisoning. If it was something served at the Fair, that could be very bad indeed.

After a short time and no sign of Lea, he moved towards the restrooms to meet her there. Not so close so that she'd see him when she emerged... she'd likely appreciate a little bit more space than that.

When she did emerge, he saw her looking... for him, he thought... but she saw someone else, who approached her. He didn't look... like a reputable character. At all. But you shouldn't judge a book by its cover, he reminded himself. He knew he was prone to make early judgements, to falling back on stereotypes and prejudice unless he was careful. He tried to reset his opinion, but found it difficult to shape the impression that this guy was no good. Was he just being jealous? He couldn't be sure.

Tom was minded just to hang back. He approached slowly, trying not to draw attention to himself, just keeping an eye on things. The last time you barged in uninvited could have gone very badly wrong, he reminded himself. But what if something is wrong? he countered.

And something looked wrong. The body language.. the tension in Lea's body, the fact that her hand was clenched. No, he couldn't just ignore this. But he decided to act as if nothing was wrong, as if this guy was barely there.

"Oh, hey Lea!" he called, smiling, his voice a little too loud, and from a distance away. "I was wondering where you got to!" he continued, slowly approaching, making a show of letting four tweenage girls, holding hands in a line so as not to lose each other in the crowd, cross his path before proceeding. He didn't acknowledge the stranger... not yet.. though it was scarely plausible that Tom hadn't noticed him. If he slunk away before Tom reached Lea, that would be fine. If he introduced himself, that would be fine, If Lea introduced him, that would be fine too. He'd leave 'noticing' him as late as he possibly could... perhaps that would give him license to leave, to step away, if he so choose.

He acted as normally as he could... not hurrying over, trying to stay as relaxed as possible. The worst he'd been envisaging was someone from her past, someone she knew, but only belatedly did he realise that this guy might... just might... be the boy trouble. But that guy wasn't remotely in Lea's league, he reminded himself... before another instinct reminded him that his estimation of the attractiveness or otherwise of men was not especially reliable. Especially if the guy had drugs and money and power.

The young man looked genuinely offended at Lea's reaction, the cigarette drooping from his lips as his eyes widened. "Whoa, what the fuck are you mad at me for? More'n seven years since we've seen each other, and this is how you react?"

Lea crossed her arms over her chest and looked Frank over from top to bottom. He'd filled out a bit since the last time she'd seen him, no longer the skinny kid chasing after his big brothers like the run in a litter of puppies. His jeans were dusty and frayed at the bottom where they brushed against his scuffed sneakers, a sin that would never have been allowed back in Newport. But Frank never cared about fashion or looks as much as the rest of the family had; he'd even teased Joey when they were kids about how particular the middle Barsotti boy was about his clothes. Frank was just about proving himself, proving that he was as tough and brave as anyone else in the organization, and something in those dark eyes of his made Lea think that hadn't changed.

His posture was still relaxed though, and that soothed her a little bit. He probably wasn't there to take her out then. "It's not my fault we didn't see each other. You know exactly where I've been, and I don't recall ever seeing you during visiting hours."

Frank's shoulders slumped as he tapped away his cigarette ash, avoiding her gaze. "You know I couldn't," he mumbled. "Pop and Bobby wouldn't have allowed it."

"And they're allowing you here now?" Lea asked, her eyes scanning around again for Tom. Please he him have gotten stuck in conversation with someone. This was hardly how she'd wanted him to meet the first member of her immediate family, even if Frank had been her favorite brother once upon a time. Indeed, if Lea had gotten her own way, Tom would never meet any of them. But when did she ever get what she really wanted in this world?

Her brother kicked his shoe in the dirt. "They don't know I'm here," Frank admitted, glancing back over at her. "Pop's pretty much retired now, he and Mama are down on the island most of the time. Bobby runs the show back in Newport. He's...he's still real pissed at you, Lee."

Well, she could hardly be surprised at that. Antonio had been Bobby's best friend ever since they were nine years old, and Lea was the reason he was dead.

"And are you gonna tell him I'm here?"

That was the million-dollar question, and Frank didn't answer at first. He was continuing to avoid her gaze, and before the words could come the voice she'd dreaded hearing quickly called out over the dull roar of the crowd.

"Oh, hey Lea! I was wondering where you got to!"

And here came Tom, blundering into a deadly conversation with all the wariness of a golden retriever. The convict's head began to spin. Who did she ignore, her date or her brother? Who would be easier to dispatch? For a moment her eyes fixed on Frank's face; as children he used to be able to understand that look, the pleading for him to leave now. But either the message was lost in translation or he was willingly defying her, and judging by the little grin that quirked his lips at Tom's approach she thought it might be the latter.

Fuck.

Lea swallowed and forced a smile, then turned to wave a greeting to the doctor. "Hey T-there!" she greeted, swallowing his name on her lips. She wouldn't give that to Frank, he didn't deserve it. And she didn't dare risk him taking it back to Bobby. The new boss could never know, could never even suspect what Tom was beginning to mean to her. Bobby could be ruthless when he wanted to be, that's why he was Pop's successor. And he knew how to hurt people, people like Lea who betrayed him, in the most efficient way possible.

She tried not to let Tom touch her, staying just out of arm's reach as she glanced towards Frank. There would be no hiding the fact she'd been speaking to him, she just needed to make up some lie about who he was. But before she got the chance, the younger man held one callused hand out in greeting to the doctor.

"Hey, I'm Frank. Lea's little brother," he grinned, eyes shifting from his sister to Tom and back. "Decided to come surprise her with a visit. You a friend of hers?"

Her brother? Not Mr Boy Trouble? That was good, right? Better, anyway.

Her brother.
That explained a lot. That would account for her stumbling over his name, and her pre-emptive step away from him to forestall the arm he was going to place protectively around her shoulder if she'd moved towards him. Being surprised on a date by a sibling with someone they didn't know about would be awkward for anyone, so putting in a bit of distance in shouldn't be surprising. From his perspective, a second date would usually be too early to be meeting the family.

Tom looked at Frank anew, and armed with the additional information he thought he could make out some family resemblance that had eluded him at first glance. Ignore the broken nose and damaged teeth, focus just on the complexion and cheekbones, and, yes, he thought he could see it. But he couldn't forget what Mr Linford had said about Lea's family being rotten, and being - in his estimation - the root cause of many of her past problems. And looking at Frank, and trying not to judge by appearances, it was less hard to believe. The man's face hinted at past violence, and it was hard to believe that he'd always come out the worse for it.

Also... it was possible that Lea's abrupt change in mood and sudden washroom dash were unrelated to the shock of seeing this Frank and was a complete coincidence. Possible, but unlikely. He remembered his first flare of instinct when he saw this strange guy talking to Lea... something wasn't right about the body language. Not then, and not, he was pretty sure, now. Tom had no doubt that he'd surprised her... whether it was a pleasant surprise he rather doubted.

First Do No Harm. Part of the Hippocratic Oath. Always the best place to start. He might be wrong about Frank, and about the whole situation. Tom was not going to do or say anything that might make the situation worse. But neither was he going to trust this 'Frank', or risk any harm coming to Lea.

Little brother Frank was smiling now, introducing himself, offering his hand to shake. One of those smiles, Tom thought, that doesn't quite reach the eyes. And that last question... you a friend of hers... was a little more inquisitorial than Tom would have liked.

Quickly, Tom rearranged his features and answered Frank's smile with one of his own, dropping easily into his friendly-professional persona. He would take everything at face value, pretend nothing was wrong, and be as friendly and charming as possible.

"That's wonderful! On Brighton Fall Night too! Excellent timing! It's good to meet you, Frank... my name's Tom. I work with your cousin Hannah at the Medical Center".

That seemed like a good enough explanation to offer. For one thing, it was true... and introducing himself as Lea's 'friend' wouldn't have been entirely believable... but neither could he claim that she was his girlfriend, or partner. He could have said that he was her date, but he doubted Lea would appreciate that.

"Have you had chance to try the hot cider yet? It's amazing! I'm also told that the berry and cinnamon pie is good too. Have you traveled far today?"

Back
Top Bottom