Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's your all-time favourite film, or series? Why?

Writer

Rumination is self-destruction.
Banished
Give it to me, what's the best one yet? And why?

Magnolia -- it's an excellently written, flawlessly acted slice(s) of life(s) that follows the stories of a few different characters. The stories never quite intertwine the way an audience might expect them to, but you get the sense of action = consequence, even if that effect is on a small enough scale to be ignored by most literally everyone.

One of the major themes is the seeming improbability of events that happen despite our understanding of logic and how one can lose their mind if they fixate on the sheer chaos that (somehow) makes up the world we live in.

Excellent film by an amazing director. Highly recommend.

Somewhere in my journal I have a post about my all-time film top-10. And while that top-10 hasn't changed in 15 years and I really doubt it will ever change, I'm going to put number 2 on that list here. My number one of all time is Once upon a time in the West, for a lot of reason. But my number two might appeal to more people. Old school Italian westerns aren't everyone's cup of tea.

No, the film I want to mention here is Cidade de Deus, a Brazilian film about the favela Cidade de Deus (obviously). It's an extremely violent film, but the only film of its kind I know where violence is not important as such. It's based on a book about said favela, but where the film only focusses on a small story, the book is about thirty, forty years of history. But it's violent, and that actually makes it a very good film.

If by series, you mean television series, then definitely Channel 4's Utopia, from Dennis Kelly.

Really good use of hyper-violence with a very cool color palette. That, along with the most unique soundtrack I have ever heard, really puts it at the top for me. The themes and style of the show have influenced me more than I care to admit, and I lament that there was no third season. It does science fiction and a near-future setting in a way that is totally grounded and realistic, which is something I think a lot of that kind of the genre fails to do.

It was recently remade for Amazon but from what I've seen of the trailers and impressions, it doesn't have that same spark.

Movies- There are far too many to count at this rate but to name a few: Interview with a Vampire, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Phantom of the Opera, The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I think the majority of the reason for my love of these movies is they all have that dark romance and gothic appeal that I don't often see in films. For a few of these (namely two, the musical scores are exquisite.

Television: Hands down, favorite show had to have been Penny Dreadful. It was dark, it was sexy, it was romantic, cruel, and had lots of bloodshed . Of course there were classical horror icons like Frankenstein and his monster, Dracula, Hecate, the Devil, and the beautiful Dorian Grey. All the while, the setting took place in Victorian England around 1888. It was everything that I adore and then some.

This and Salem~I'm absolutely in love with anything to do with magic and the Salem witch trials. The Edwardian style costumes were absolutely stunning and the plot kept me on my toes. Not to mention Lucy Lawless (known mostly for her role as Xena the Warrior Princess), was in the show, along with Marilyn Manson and Steward Townsend.

So, the TLDR; anything with bloodshed, elements of horror, monsters, romantic gothic fashion and a musical score that could raise the dead is my bread and butter.

Currently I'd say the 'John Wick' movie series. The lore behind the assassin's society was interesting to observe and draw inspiration from.

Film would be " The Last Samurai ". Will never get tired of it.

I can't think of any shows or series yet that I would warrant a favorite.

Star Wars, excluding the Sequel Trilogy.

Got hooked as a child thanks to my grandmother letting me watch the original trilogy in quick succession. I couldn't imagine waiting years for the sequels. I grew up more with the prequels and think the hate towards them is overblown; yes, the dialogue can be a little much, and the CGI isn't a good replacement for practical effects, but I love the story from beginning to end and hope my child--should I be lucky enough to have one--will enjoy them as I do, flaws and all.

TV series -- The Sopranos

Movie -- maybe There Will be Blood, not sure though too many

Series: Sons of Anarchy/Breaking Bad/Peaky Blinders

Films: MCU/Harry Potter/Gladiator

Back
Top Bottom