Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Once Upon A Time In Kansas.. (RogTheRake & Nwiles2019)

RogTheRake

Reminder Ladies ~Save a Horse & Ride a Cowboy~ ;)
Coming together to craft a tale is Christian Hail (Writing for Christian Hail as well as his girls Kacey (KC) & Samantha (Sammy) as well as any of the animals on his farm) & Nwiles2019 (Portraying and writing for Miranda Summers who may or may not also voice some NPC's 'Non Plot Characters' herself).

But every good story needs a start thus this first post from myself RogTheRake and background on Christian and his farm in Kansas...

Once upon a time a woman needed to get away from the big city, enter stage left a man who just so happens to have listed 'A quiet cabin in the woods, where those with an artistic bent could find a home to RENT ( note this property is not for sale and will be rented on a lease to be renewed every six months), and help there muse find the magic that exists in Kansas. The add had not only pictures of 'The Cabin' but a video showing the area around the property as well as information that 'updates and renovations were still in progress'. However it was open for rent immediately and included in rental was all furnishing etc.. etc.. etc.. and no 'significant modifications' would be allowed of property. Pets were also welcomed however any and all damages done by said pets would be subject to repair costs of the renter(s) and could result in refusal of renewal. There was also a lengthy contract drawn up stipulating details of what 'could and would' be considered reason to break the rental contract and allow for the owner to request said renter vacate 'The Cabin'. All and all for the purpose of this story I do not think we need to worry about that, but every fairy tail should have some basis in reality. *winks*

But back to Christian and why 'The Cabin' in fact is up for rent... Christian is an 8th generation Kansas farmer located near Attica, in Kansas. Over the years the farm as well as his home has been updated or undergone updates many times, the last major update some ten years ago just before he married. Four years later a minor update was done on the property when his and his wives parents surprised them with an renovating an old hunting and fishing cabin that had been on the property for years, to a special place for the two of them as well as an Art Studio for her, a place she could go to get away for a time to work or they could go for private time together. Working a farm is hard work, not leaving much time to go away, but 'The Cabin' was close enough to 'The Main House' and work but still a world of it's own for the two. In short it was a magical place for two people in love to keep it smoldering as well as for Amanda to allow her Muse to run free..
Both Christian and Amanda's parents had retired, it should be little wonder that Amanda's family also were farmers who owned actually and adjacent plot of land. Thus when they chose to retire the two farms merged into one large property. His late wives parents still live in their house and often watch the girls to help him out, but Christian manages there land with the help of good people he has hired to assist him. Christians own parents decided to MOVE to Florida!! though the come and visit often.

We now need to talk about the girls as well as discuss what happened with Amanda. First the girls.. Kacey 'KC' is his oldest being a ten overly intelligent young lady, ( yes his wife was with child before they were officially married, but NO this was no she was not why they tied the note just and added bonus as they were deeply in love), and Samantha or Sammy is a precocious four year old who also is way to smart for her age. Sadly it was shortly after Sammy's birth that Amanda learned of the cancer that had run wild through her body. It was no one's fault and though Christian agonized over the what if and could they have for weeks, in the end the disease was just that, a disease that hits some harder than others. Both sets of parents where there for the many hard months and it should be no surprise that Amanda's passing was done out in 'The Cabin' on a bright sunny day with all her family around and finally at peace.

To say that Christian took it hard, would be an understatement BUT unlike some husbands he was also a father and with the help of family and friends he was able to work through the pain. Rather than see 'The Cabin' go unused, (for he doubted if he would ever wish to use it for what it had been 'modified for'), and not wanting his much too young and intelligent soon to be teen daughter get ideas for using it as a place to meet 'young men/boys'. He decided (was talked into) with the help of his Mom & Mother-In-Law to open it up to rent as a place for artists, to rent from time to time.

Let me remind you that his late wife was an artist and he had built a studio of sorts in the loft above for her, with views large windows the offered views in all four directions ... However before listing it as a 'rental', more modifications were made or updates, solar panel were installed as well as a waste management system. Plans on putting up a small eye pleasing tower of sorts to allow for some wind power but also be sturdy and high enough to run a 'repeater' for cell phones or the dreaded WIFI people seem to need or want, were listed in part of the lease as well as other improvements that would occur over 'time'. However at this time the only entertainment is the radio. Yet at his daughters insistent a flat screen TV that could play DVD or Blue Ray was put up, as well as instructions on how to connect an external laptop or hard-drive for movies or TV shows from town. They also left a list of where you could go to get them FREE if you have the electronics and if not where you can rent it. The girls also made certain to add at the bottom that this could also be done if the renter of 'The Cabin' came to 'The Main House' as THEY did have WIFI there and an apology that their DAD had not yet had it setup for out here, but that he was 'working on it'. So in the end with the help of Christians Mother-In-Law and his own Mother the Cabin was furnished and made 'Neutral', that is for either a male or female to stay in. BUT to Christian it seems to him, that all the ladies in his life set it up with more of a female renter than a male. When Christian commented on this, four sets of eyerolls and the comment 'This was done to keep the hunters and fishers from renting as this is to be for artists!!' . He could not help but hear though said very quiet by KC 'like mom', and his Mother(s) adding about keeping the wrong sort of people away from were the girls could be.

When all was said and done his parents had decided to finally return home and 'The Cabin' put up, at first locally with no takers , then state wide and still no takers. When his Mother-In-Law suggested the go Nation Wide he fought it but eventually his girls and her worked him into it .. BUT only after he had a lawyer out together a contract that they said was way too complicated but he insisted that he wanted whomever who would move cross country or wish to rent knew what they were getting into and could not force him to have to allow them to stay, he added with a smile. "After all I do have two impressionable daughters to think of do I not!'. So the add went up and not surprisingly offers came in, but all of them save ONE tried to have changes to the contract only ONE was willing to abide by all rules and stipulation in the rental contract as written, there was no but's or requests save before signing the property wished to be viewed and if it was as presented occupation would be immediate.

Christian was at a loss... he had initially gone this not really thinking anyone would actually agree, but now they had a person not only agreeing but being overly reasonable! Thus he was forced to agree and now waited for them to show up and thus be shown 'The Cabin'. ...

*** Below are some Pics ***
1st Kristian, KC, and Sammy
2nd The House & The Cabin

3rd (Hidden Back of Cabin covered by a tarp and needs work to get working is a wood burning hot tub/jacuzzi)

186c1ec8cb10ef5ab3a80cb91c68a0f3.jpg tumblr_p456nqiKXb1wrkp2wo2_500.jpg 838a620e24c10b68ab37e46ae068ab36.jpg

2311e6f0cd3916b7c921eef823332aa8.jpg 09e6c1b4eca35d1e92d9866075c7f3da.jpg

s369420401294415958_p5_i1_w1600.jpeg

Last edited:
Enter Stage right, the woman who needed an escape, Miranda Summers, or Mandy as she liked to be called. Mandy is a 25 year old, vibrant red head. Miranda has recently become an award winning romance writer, who also takes some stunning photos on the side. Her publicist, Judy Barnes was one of her best friends. Judy quickly took on the young Miranda and secures her a pen name and separate account for her book profits. Miranda Summers wrote her first romance series at the young age of eighteen. The first series consisted of three books about college romances. The first series did not take off as planned but it still managed to get quite a few sales. After-words Miranda wrote her second series of five books. They were more in the genre of erotic romance. Once the first book hit the market it took off quickly, to both Mandy's and Judy's surprise. Once people started reading the new "Hot C.E.O" series her first series also gained more sales. Miranda, with the help of Judy, purchased a pen name, Leeann Lane. Just shortly after Miranda's first "Hot C.E.O series she graduated College with a writing and Editing degree, with a minor in Photography. Miranda also met a young man named Zander Brooks.

At first Miranda and Zander seemed to be deeply in love and life was going great. Miranda was starting to build up a nice little nest egg from her booming book sales and her photography helped pay her half of the household expenses. Miranda was .... different then most women. Miranda had been born with an odd genetic condition, she was a Futanari. She had both male and female anatomy, though all the inner workings were in her body so she did not have balls like typically men had. Her family doctor had told her that the chance of her being able to have children was something of a fifty-fifty chance. Miranda and Zander still took precautions though, she had a booming writing career and Zander was working his way up the corporate ladder. Just as Miranda's second erotic book was released, Zander changed. Judy was trying to put together a book signing and reading tour and Zander refused. Zander didn't want Miranda leaving his side, he was very jealous and demanding. Soon the mental and emotional abuse came, he threatened to out her as the "freak" she was and ruin her writing career. Not long after that he became manipulative and cruel.

Miranda had been an only child, her grandparents on her fathers side, died when she was very young. Her grandparents on her mother's side, they had lived in Texas. She remembered being younger and going with her parents to visit "the ranch." Her grandmother had died due to a heart condition and less then six months later her grandfather died from broken heart syndrome. She had only been about twelve or thirteen when they had passed. Her parents had moved then to Chicago where she now resided with Zander. Just after she met Zander, Miranda's parents died in a horrific car accident, leaving her alone .... with Zander. Just as Miranda wrote the last of her, "Hot C.E.O" series Judy stepped in. Convincing Mandy it was time for a change of scenery and possibly a push toward a third romance series. Judy got to work, trying to find just the right place as far away from Zander as possible. For weeks Judy kept watch on the rental market for somewhere in the south. Miranda had been toying with a hot and steamy cowboy series plot for her next series.

Finally Judy found a beautiful cabin for rent in Kansas, she read over the stipulations and called Mandy to her office immediately. Once Mandy arrived the two clicked through the stunning pictures and video. Mandy starred in awe at all the beautiful scenery she could photograph and how quiet and peaceful the place looked. They both chuckled softly at the ad, as it seemed the owners daughters had put in some fun bits. She contacted the owner and had no issues with the rules he set forth, in fact she didn't even have any pets. well ... she had a beta fish in a bowl but Judy had already volunteered to take him for her. She made arrangements to come look at the place with the prospects of moving in immediately. Miranda hurried home, knowing Zander wouldn't be home to well into the evening. She packed all her books, photography stuff, clothes and personal items into her truck and made for Kansas immediately. Miranda stopped half way and stayed at a motel. She then started back out early and arrived just before lunch at the address for the main house. She peered through her sunglass, mouth slightly agape at the gorgeous farm house. "Wow, this is beautiful." She pulled slowly up the drive in her black truck and stepped out. Miranda was wearing a light blue, V-neck shirt, a pair of stone washed jeans and a pair of square heeled, black , ankle boots. Her long red hair blowing in the slight breeze. She was excited to meet Christian and his girls and to go see "the cabin for the first time.

Picture 1 is Miranda
Picture 2 is her truck

Mandy
9255e27de8bc55cb64b057cef5ea7eaf.png

Last edited:
KC was told to stay in the house with and watch her sister Sammy by her dad, but she was just so gosh darn exited she could not help but stare out a second floor window and watch a truck drive up the long drive to their home. The woman who had answered the add to rent the cabin seemed 'nice', Me Maw (KC's grandmother on her mothers side) had laughed at the look on her fathers face as Pa Pa (again what she called her Grandfather on her mothers side) just shook his head. 'Looks like this fish ain't gonna jump the hook' Pa Pa added and went back to reading one of his books.. Me Maw made a disapproving sound and started on about things still needed to be done before 'the girl showed up'.. BUT now the girl well woman was here and smiling KC looked over her shoulder at her sister who sat playing with a complex set of wooden blocks, wooden ramps, and marbles making tunnels on various levels patiently stacking and restacking to get the marble to flow without stopping. Yeah Sammy was going to be just like her! Dolls and such just did not do it for them..

Christian had heard the truck and watched at it approached, at first the thought .o0(Great she went out and bought a new truck just because I told her there was not a road to the cabin as of yet or much of one) but then he looked harder and saw it looked like it was more used then new and then his eyes took in the way she sat , handled it. Christian had his fathers eye and he could tell as she took a turn into the drive proper then went to park and backed up.. parked and slid after turning the truck off that this was NOT a truck she had just bought. .o0(well dam) he thought.. and then his eyes shifted from the truck to the woman.

Hells Bells if he did not know she was from the big city, she could have passed for a native! Did she do that on purpose? Or was this how she dressed all the time?? He had expected a pretty little thing in heels and a skirt not a woman who .. who.. well who looked like she could drive one of his tractors if need be. Not that he needed anyone, well not right now KC was learning one of the small John Deer's much to his consternation but his daughter informed him that 'since she would soon be taking over for him when he retires she needed to learn all that he knew' THIS had caused both his mother-in-law and father-in-law to burst into laugher and his youngest daughter who he was certain did not know what was going on to simply burst into giggles as KC stood there hands on hips and glared at him. GOD she looked more and more like her mother each day..

Pushing that memory aside , Christian who was wearing his GOOD farm clothes, a pair of newish jeans, flannel shirt over a normal shirt , and comfortable mostly non work boots (they were his boots for the time he had stepped out with his wife and they had gone line dancing), stepped off his large porch and approached Miranda "Miss Summers" he said as he got closer and stopped a respectable distance so as to NOT invade her space but close enough to extend a hand.. "I'm Christian Hail, please just call me Christian.. " (he would shake her hand if she gave it and add "Did you have any issues finding the place? I know we are a might bit out there and since most of the land that borders us is government owned forestry it can be tricky.. " (letting go of her hand if she allowed the hand shake, the only thing she would notice is though his hands are a bit rough from farm work they feel like the were made to also touch or caress a woman) " Before we go and see 'The Cabin' , please come inside and have something to drink and a small snack my daughter made ," leaning in he also adds quietly " you can also if need be .. you know .. umm freshen up and if you do not meet my girls at least they will be very upset with me" leaning back he smiles and waits to see how his request and greeting is taken.

Miranda looked around in wonder at the beautiful scenery, she caught a hint of a young face and the curtains moving in a second story window. A slight smirk graced her face as her eyes fell on the man walking her way. *Oh wow* She blinked as he strode toward her, very much looking like a cowboy. He stopped a reasonable distance from her, greeted her and stuck out his hand. Miranda graced him with a full smile and stuck out her hand back. Her small hand fit into his nicely and she could feel that his were rough from work. Hers were soft and feminine, but if one were paying attention, she had hands of an artist. Even though Miranda was no good at drawing or anything of that sort. She was a writer, opting for pencil and paper to start, the typing out her second draft on her grandmothers typewrite and then retyping her work unto her laptop to send to Judy back in Chicago. She blinked as she pulled her thoughts back to the present and gave Christian a soft chuckle, "Please call me Mandy. I had little trouble finding the place, your directions were spot on and easy ... even for a city girl like myself.."

Christian let go of her hand as he offered for her to come in, freshen up and meet the girls. He leaned in to whisper the last bit. Miranda could feel the heat radiate off his body and he smelled of fresh country air. "well, we wouldn't want your girls getting upset with you." Miranda replied in a somewhat joking manner. "I could use a drink, it's warmer here then it is in Chicago." She fidgeted a minute, "there is one thing I would like to ask about 'The Cabin' agreement if you don't mind. I fully intend on following all your stipulations. I would like to know if it would be alright to put the contract under my pen name. The payments I make will be coming from that account anyway and I .... would prefer to not have this in my legal name if possible. " (Miranda would then follow Chirstian into his home when/if he led the way, excited to meet his girls and to get out of the hot sun of Kansas.)

Christian took in a deep breathe, a small part of him felt ... off sniffing a woman soo soon after the death of his wife, then his mind caught that thought and processed it, was a year too soon? But it was just a whiff, nothing more and there was nothing wrong with it. 'Mandy' he smiled inside liking the name, then confused all this took but seconds to occur and the confusion was for Mandy's question, well request.

It had never occurred to him to 'ask' what sort of artist she was, in truth it did not really matter but form Mandy's words it became clear 'writer' or 'ghost writer;? Now he wondered what sort of writing she did BUT knew all it would take was a few clicks to find out, that is IF she was any good. "I do not see why not, I mean you use it for contracts and stuff for your Uhhh books? Screenplays?" he hedged in his reply.

By this time they were in the house and he could hear his two devils moving quickly upstairs and coming down towards them, he turned and said "The Tall drink of water is Kacey, and do not be fooled by the innocent look of Samantha at four years she is far too precious for her own good..." he had finished these comments just as the two made their way into the kitchen and up to the adults who stood just in the entryway.

KC took in the look of the woman, tilting her head the pre-teen pegged her at early twenties and she did NOT look like a painter, her eyes moved to the hands and she bit her lip, wondering what sort of artist she might just be? Before she could ask , Sammy had run forward and she watched as her dad reached down and picked her up, just like her big sister Sammy was curious and wanted to know what this 'New Friend' was like "Hi..." Sammy said in a cute little voice, "I like your truck, Daddy has one just like it , does yours have a HEMI? Only trucks with HEMI's are worth anything these days, that's what Daddy says... " she then continued with.. " You hair is pretty... I wish I had hair like yours" her eyes changed then and she turned to look at her daddy.. "Her hair looks like the same color of Mamma's? "

Kc who was standing there smiling gasped "Samantha" she said , using her full name like Dad and Mom.. she paused and moved up to take her sister from her fathers hands seeing he was overwhelmed and taking in a breathe, "Sorry about that ummm " not remembering the name of who this was supposed to be, she pushed past that as she set Sammy down, "We we made cookies and fresh sweet tea or lemonade for you" she finished as she held her sisters hand who was NOW hiding her face in her sisters side and shaking just a little bit .oO(great) she thought.

Christian was filled with mixed emotions the last being embarrassment and then pride in his oldest as she tried to act older then she should have to be. He turned to look at Mandy, an apology on his lips died as he looked really good at the woman and her hair and realized yeah it was the same coloring or close to it as his late wife, but truth be told it looked more like KC's coloring in winter.. when the son was all but gone for the year. Snapping himself out of it.. he smiled at Mandy and went and took Sammy from KC, "It's all good little one, KC before the cookies and drinks can you show Mandy where she can uhhh freshen up IT was a long driver here after all. " he hugged his daughter to him and whispered to her it was Okay she did nothing wrong and kissed the top of her head.

Three Minutes all the above took Three Minutes..

Miranda walked next to Christian toward the house, her light lavender scent softly coming off her. She chuckled as he hedge his way into figuring out what kind of writer she was. "Oh, that must have been a long drive. my manners, yes I am a romance author. I use the pen name "Leeann Lanes," for my works. Helps keep ones personal life .... well personal. My first series went kind of slow but the last series I wrote actually took off quite well. My publicists is trying to talk me into doing a book tour. I decided on taking a small break from things to take in the fresh air, hence here I am." She gave his elbow a soft bump in playfulness as they entered the house.

Miranda quickly picked up the sound of movement and smiled. She had never had kid so here home was usually quiet and sometimes boring. She was honestly exited to meet the girls and smiled as Christian helped her to decipher which one was which. Kc was silent but her eyes studied Miranda with a keen, intelligent eye. Before Kc could speak, the vibrant Sammy bounced into the conversation with excitement. Mandy chuckled at the question about her truck and was about to answer before the girl mentioned her hair ... and their mother. Mandy made a small "o" with her mouth and flushed a bit.

Kc managed to intercept the slip but Mandy could tell that poor Sammy felt bad for bringing up a sensitive subject. "Cookies and Lemonade sound delicious, thank you girls." With Christian stepping in Miranda smiled softly at him. Expressing a hint of comfort with her soft green eyes. "I could use to freshen up a bit, that was quite a haul i made but I have a feeling it will all be worth it once I get to see your cabin. oh and Sammy ... my truck doesn't have a hemi. Not much sense in that for the city but your daddy is right. Any real truck worth while has a hemi." She gave the cute little girl a playful wink and a soft smile. "Alright KC, i will follow you and please you girls can call me Mandy." Miranda gave Christian another soft smile as her eyes went to Kc ready to freshen up, have a small snack, a drink and go to see where she would most likely be staying.

Christian did not want to like the woman, well not LIKE like, but like, and here she was not five minutes into meeting and he was already feeling .. comfortable around her. Christian was certain she had never really been around children, yet the way she handled Sammy's words and Miranda's wording of a response, Hell most times people spoke to his youngest like she was a child (which she was but like a baby) , here this woman spoke to her like she was a person, and he liked that.

KC led Miranda to one of the guest bedrooms instead of the over all any person could use it bathroom on this level, " Not certain just how much freshening up you needed, I asked Pa how you were getting here and when he said 'driving' we all figured you might be sore, tired and well.. maybe would want a shower or something?" KC faltered she wanted so much for this woman and her father to get along, NOT that she was trying to be a match maker , well not initially BUT she was an outsider and seemed nice and all and there were so few woman around. They did not have many realtions close by and those they did she could not really talk to, or trust for some reason Miranda, Mandy came off as a person you could trust.

Sammy hugged her daddy "she seems nice I like her, can I have a cookie?" her smile was impish, just like his wives, his late wives and it both tore at his heart and made him smile himself.. "No .. you may not" Christian said putting her down then seeing the look on her face, "When our guest has her lemonade and refreshment you can have one with her, " he said seeing the look of sadness disappear and her eyes dart to where here sister and Mandy went off too.. "BUT only one and you need to eat slow and like a 'Lady'." Christian laughed as he saw his Youngest just four years old roll her eyes at him.

Sammy took her fathers hand and led him to the table , "Okay we sit and 'wait' " she pushed him to a chair and then climbed up in his lap.. her small hands on the table tiny fingers drumming on the table top like he did some time.. as she looked off to where the woman had gone.

KC kept back and away , letting Mandy do what she wished as she gave the woman the 411 on the local situation telling her that town was about an hour and a half away, the closest neighbor (her grandparents) were twenty minutes by horse , an hour walk or by car, they lived closer to town. Because the farm was so close to the state park there was not much out this way, there were times she stayed the whole week at her grandparents with her sister because of school and the trip being easier than having to have the bus come all the way out here. KC did not like that because that left her Pa alone too much.

Miranda followed Kc to a nice bathroom, smiling as the girl seemed some what shy. "I just need to use the bathroom and splash some water on my face. I'm an author, so i spend alot of time sitting and writing, so im not too sore from the drive." Miranda Closed the door so she could use the bathroom in private, having extra bits and young girls was not a great combination. She finished up, washed her hands and face and opened the door. She listened closely as KC gave her the local 411. Mandy couldn't help the soft smile that played on her lips at this mature pre-teen sanding in front of her. "You are a very smart and caring young woman KC, makes me feel more comfortable to be somewhere new. Back in Chicago I volunteered at the local library, did story time with kids Sammy's age and game night with pre-teens like yourself. I fully intend on making a trip in town to the library at least once a week or so. If you and your sister would like to join me ... and as long as your daddy says its ok ... I'd love to take you.....if you want." For a second Miranda wasn't sure if that had been a good idea, she clicked her tongue and gave a small shrug. "What do you say we go get that cookie now?" She said instead.

Miranda would then folow Kc back through the house and to the kitchen where Christian and Sammy sat waiting. "Well what do we say to a glass of lemonade and a cookie. Speaking of .... I like to cook and bake as well. I wouldn't mind making some treats to send over, I wanted to ask first and make sure nobody has any allergies. Oh and Christian .... I am also CPR and first Aid trained if you were to ever need anything, I can give you my number then. I was certified when I decided to volunteer at the library. Came in handy one day when a two year old started choking. Also I was going to ask if they have an animal shelter in town, I like to volunteer with the animals ... unless you need an extra hand around here. My grandparent had a farm and i have a little bit of stable hand expe to know how to ride. Though city life don't really have a means to do much horse riding. I used to love going out there with my parents ...." Mandy's voice went a little shaking, she cleared her throat and smiled, trying to shake that memory.

KC smiled, Miranda.. Mandy seemed nice, inside she 'chuckled' at the way the woman having just met made an offer and then got that look like 'woops did I mess up?' that adults get when they over think. There was one other aspect of her father that not many people knew, and both KC and Sammy were sworn to keep it secret. Pa Pa, and Grand Pa Pa both had served our country. Pa would have also joined and did a tour but he had found and fell in love with her Ma AND Pa Pa had gone and gotten himself injured after only have one child, thus no more kids were in store. Anyway from what she had learned in the event that her dad ever did have to go and fight for his country Pa Pa wanted to make certain he knew what would be needed, and not some horse shit ROTC (Grand Pa Pa's words)... NO Pa Pa and Gran Pa Pa taught her father and also former soldiers who came to work and stay from time to time continued to teach him, and now when during harvest time some men and woman would 'show up' and test her father and as of her sixth birthday she started to get some training. These days it was not just men who defended a home.

While KC sat and waited she wondered what Miranda would think of that? If she knew or found out. She was shook out of her thoughts when the woman came out and the two of them went back down to see Sammy patiently waiting with her father at the table, glasses had been poured and the large plate of cookies where set on the table. ALSO present was a stack of documents and pictures, she chuckled at the pics ... SHE had taken a good deal of them, convincing her father to buy her a DRONE she showed him how he could use it from home or when out in the truck to get a better view of the crops, the bamboo as well as the saffron that had been planted these past two years. Her Pa had been worried.. but the latest pics showed both were doing well along side the wheat and corn AND the small plot of Pumpkins they had planted this year.

Christian waited until Miranda sat and listened to her speak of cooking and baking, he smiled and saw both of the girls eyes light up.. "Well that all sounds good and I am certain on the weekends it will be appreciated" Christian said, the groan from KC had one of his eyebrows raise as Sammy just giggled.. he went on.. " The girls spend most of the week at my.. " Christen paused, swallowed he was about to say wives parents place, his ex-wives, subconsciously one hand moved to the other on the table and he twisted his wedding band as he corrected his words in a split second, "Umm Mother and Father In Laws because of school and such.." he hedged his words and paused, would it be too much? Maybe... he stopped.. "You know If this pans out I might well.. " he stammered a bit his mind going over an idea and not certain if he should voice it but her words about an extra hand around here.." I mean the main reason my parents take care of KC and Sammy is the drive in and out cuts into my time managing the ranch and though the school allows for the fact for KC to show up a bit later due to distance.. they were offering or suggestion that if someone was here to monitor her here, she could try the AT HOME program..."

Sammy was in her own world.. she had been given a cookie a big one and she knew if she took her time and ate it like a lady she would or could have at least one more, maybe TWO if her daddy and the woman kept talking, and she was good. KC held her breathe she had tried to push the idea of the schooling but her father wanted her to have a NORMAL life and school was supposed to be normal.. and yeah she liked school and had friends but she also had an issue and it was getting near that time and age this issue would be best at home. At least that is what Ma Ma had hinted at to her father , and Pa Pa just kept quiet.

Christian fought, there was no way in hell he was going to share just how special his daughter was, like his wife she was 'blessed', and it was no one's business. BUT papers had come and the school was suggesting he CONSIDER the Home Program, at least partial everything could be explained on the distance his farm was and the need for her to be there for him, her sister, and the farm. "Miranda would you consider a slight modification of the contract in terms of cost if say.. " he reached up rubbed his chin, in truth they did NOT need the money rom the rent.. in fact all of it was going to funds for the girls.. well for Sammy as she was the one who would have a more normal life. His eyes looked at KC then Miranda and he said.. " If you have time or are offering it during the week Monday thru Friday Six hours to hang out here and over see KC while she is doing her school work and to keep an eye on Sammy I will reduce the rent by 40%"

Miranda took a drink of the cool lemonade, she had taken a bite of the soft cookie and listened as Christian seemed to struggle. Her eyes widened at his question, swallowing her mouth made a tiny "o" . She took a moment to consider, her eyes going from Christian to Kc and then Sammy.

She smiled softly, "you know ... I was just saying to Kc how much I love the library and would love to take them. I have to warn you, I'm not the greatest at math, but English I have got that covered. I would absolutely love to help you and the girls out with school. In fact, until you get things transfered I can help out with getting them to school ... if that's alright. However, I agreed on the rent price and I intend to pay it. You do not need to cut my rent, when I am here I can use your internet to keep in contact with Judy. Put the money away for college or whatever. From the look of these photos, someone has an eye for photography. " Miranda took another bite of her cookie, shooting Kc a wink, she had a feeling this young lady was behind the stunning pictures.

Miranda finished up her refreshments, "well what's say you show me where I will be staying. I've got some unpacking to do after all." She gave them all a warm smile. Letting them all know that she was planning on staying and helping out. For some reason this place already felt more like home then anything since her parents had died and she already liked them all alot.

Christian sat back and gave the woman across from him a 'look', she was good, very good. So far she had been passing all the tests and checking all the boxes without any issues, but Christian had learned that if something appeared too good to be true. it often was in fact 'too good to be true'. "Well I am uncertain if I could accept your offer in good conscience BUT I feel we are getting ahead of ourselves, as you have not even seen the cabin yet." HE could feel his eldest child GLARE at him, but Christian did his best to ignore her as he stood and told KC to keep an eye on her sister and they would be back, well he would be back soon.

KC could not help but *sigh* being stuck at home keeping an eye on the runt, "Okay" she said the in word sigh coming out now, "BUT Miranda you will have to come back and join us for dinner I am CERTAIN you did not have time to stop in town and what with needing to unpack ." that was if she liked and took the cabin, " I'm making friend chicken, fresh cornbread and smashed tatters tonight." KC was proud that she was getting better and better at cooking, especially now that well now that she was the main woman of the house.

Christian could not fault his daughter nor chastise her, in fact Christian felt bad he had not thought to say the words. "Yes please no matter what, " not wanting to make the assumption that Miranda would be taking the cabin, his mother-in-law also had dropped off a pie for desert. " You need to have dinner with us BUT before that lets head on out to the Cabin." and with that he led the woman out .

Instructing Miranda to follow him in her truck he climbed in his own and started the drive out to the cabin, as there was not a 'real road' he took his time, that was not say there was not a road of sorts a clear path that led from the farm to the cabin with fields all around. It was also easy to see the forest and mountains that were the back drop for the cabin that had been built and rebuilt quit a few times. The lake close by and the majestic view was breath taking.

Christian stopped his truck near the front of the Cabin and got out, he turned to watch Miranda park and join him.... "So what do you think?" he asked.. then listened to her reply "Well before making a decision you best take a look inside and around." around meaning the back of the cabin and of course the covered Hot Tub.... he had forgotten about that for some reason and informed Miranda that it would need some 'work' if she had a mind to want to use it. Christian then led her inside and all the work that had been done getting it read to rent.

Miranda admired Kc for being so brave and forth right. Christian certainly had his hands full and a small pang hit her in the chest. Miranda loved kids and had always wanted one of her own. As she followed Christian she shot Kc a friendly wink mouthing, "I'll be back." Before following after their dad.

Miranda half gaucked at the scenery and half kept focus. She definately was not on pavement and even the drive way to the house was better. A part of her liked this and her small, four-wheel drive vehicle sis her proud. When the cabin came into view her emerald eyes went wide. She parked and stepped out carefully.

"Oh my heavens ... it's beautiful Christian." She said in very open awe of the place. She walked around it with him, seeing the covered hot tub. "If I have a desire to use it then I will let you know and we can fix it up." She said just taking in the view as she followed him. She was eager to get her camera out to capture the veiw. She followed him inside , "it's better then the pictures." She turned in excitement and hugged him. With a vibrant flush she pulled away. "Ha, sorry. My family were huggers, comes out once in awhile. " Miranda nervously straightened her shirt and cleared her throat. "I'll take it! At the rate we agreed upon over the phone. You are keeping my identity secret and safe here, so I'll not pay a penny less. I offered to help and you need help with the girls. So we agree to the terms of the contract and any extra is just between us." She kept her chin raised and put out her hand. Miranda was strong willed and though Zander tried to reign her in, she was free now. She wanted no mistake that she was serious and capable.

Though he had been in the cabin a dozen.. dozen times since the loss of his wife, walking in now he expected a chill to over take him, but there was none!? His eyes moved over the room and then to the woman who he would soon be 'allowing' to name this place as her home.. if even for but a small time. He was about to cross his arms when Miranda's movements caught him off guard, her arms around him her body pressed to him... now he did feel something and it was not a chill! NO.. it was only for a moment and it was a shock not only to his body but to his mind to feel a 'reaction' of a woman's body against his own!! He did not think it was possible but it had happened, be it ever so brief...

Christian could feel a flush come to him and was glad that he was weathered of skin as Miranda stepped away and spoke, her eyes not on him or his but on the room. When she did finally look at him it was to offer his hand to seal the deal, and with a smile on his face he took it. "Okay okay.. I know when I am not going to win an argument so we shall leave the contract as is" hand on hand skin to skin he felt again the small charge hit him but he steeled his control less Miranda worry. Christian gave Miranda's hand a firm but not overly so shake once, twice then let it go however reluctantly.

Taking a look about he let out a long heavy *sigh* her could already feel the old memories of this place 'changing' , they were still there but now .. Christian moved to a set of stairs leading to the loft area.. "Follow me ," his eyes lit with pleasure and his smile was fresh " please..." and Christian continued up the stairs to the 'loft'... Large and open it was a space that had been made originally as a master bedroom of sorts but had been converted to a 'Studio' large rugs and a few areas to sit where there, as well as a desk of sorts but it was to the large windows that he moved from floor to ceiling they spanned west , north and south and were able to be opened wide to allow the view in those three directions as well as the breeze to blow through the building but it was not the end for when he was done 'hand opening' the three sets he moved to one wall and worked a hand crank that worked a set of chains and set the windows to the EAST to open and the breeze brought the scents from the fields of Lavender to waft in and permeant the room.

Christian turned and took in Miranda then, having waited to see what her face looked liked. Yes pictures had been taken but pictures could not do justice at least to him or convey the 'majesty' of the space to him.

(( Here also for your enjoyment some pics of the Master Bedroom & Bath ))

777027653eb7f0006f15e4eaed67d5ad.jpg
Log-Cabin-Style-Bedrooms-10-1-Kindesign.jpg

Miranda had been glad for the space after hugging Christian. The man had thick corded muscles she had felt even with the clothes. So the impromptu wave of fierce bravery of sticking firm to her offer, was a way to stop thinking about him that way. Some what unfortunately when he took her hand, it felt like electricity went up her arm.

She blinked and swallowed, shaking his hand firmly, but with that soft touch of a woman. She watched as Christian went to the stairs. For a moment his, "follow me" seemed all dark and husky. Miranda had never felt this liquid fire pull toward someone before.

Christian added the, "please," and she nodded and fallowed. *well at least he has a nice butt* she thought to herself. Then her eyes caught on the movement of the blinds . Her eyes widened and she stood there dumbstruck. She gasped as she turned, she inhaled, doing a small turn. "Oh my ....." Was all she could say.

Christina was pleased by Miranda's reaction and it was all and more that he had hoped for, he nodded his head and moved around her speaking about the 'improvements' that had been made and still needed to be made. He took his time allowing her to take in the work space , well as a writer Christian guess she could just about write where ever she wished.. but this space allowed for some of the best views in 500 miles , or so he thought.

When Christian was done he moved back towards the stairs, and started down them speaking not so much to her but the space in general "Okay then well it is settled and so lets be getting what you brought in, and then I will take my leave." The one other item that Miranda will notice is that there are no 'locks' on any of the doors or windows... OH they do secure and can be barred when on the inside but no key lock." he goers on to explain "Well locks are a city thing or town out her in the country if a person wants to get in all they need do is break a window!' Christian went on, that she did not need to worry about neighbors or animals BUT... he sighed... then and led her to the fire place... over the fire place within easy reach was a rifle .. the Henry Side Gate 45-70 was a thing of beauty, and though he was not a hunter he knew that his farm, and this cabin so close to the woods it would be stupid & or negligent to NOT have some form of protection. Below it was a case filled with ammo + a few other items.

"I do not know how you feel about guns, but KC knows how to operate this and she knows it is NOT some toy, she knows that should wolves or coyotes come and cause trouble this will drive them away." Christian turned and looked at Miranda opening the case with the ammo he also took out a bottle of 'Bear Away' "I have yet to see a bear in these parts but that does not mean that could not change" he showed her how the spray works and waited for her to speak about the Henry Rifle, wondering if his version of home protection would cause her to change her mind? Why was he worried about Miranda being safe all of a sudden? He never worried so much before when his wife used to come here, but now a stranger a new woman shows up and he gets all protective?

HenrySideGate.jpg

Miranda was still taking in the view when, she caught Christian headed back downstairs. She followed him, "oh.you don't need to help me bring in any if my stuff. I don't really have much more then books and clothes."

Miranda hadn't noticed there weren't any locks til Christian pointed it out. There was an odd moment of unease at that. She had lived in the city for quite a few years and locks were a staple. She thought back for a moment and remembered her grandparents never had locks either. People didn't break into each other's home out here. The biggest concern was animals, mainly wolves.

The gun Christian showed was unlike anything she was used to though. "I'm familiar and comfortable with guns, though that one is a different model for me. I started out with a BB gun, I've shot my Paps .22 and 12 gauge. I also own a 9mm pistol and a compound bow. I keep bow my weapons in number combination cases. I love to shot.my bow, I'm pretty good, though it has been at least a year." Dhe also paid attention when it came to the "bear away," as well. "Thank you Christian, All this makes me feel very safe and secure. Its sometimes hard to feel that way when you have no family. ......... well I have Judy but she has to stay in the city." Miranda then moved to the door to start bringing in the boxes. Her phone rang, she pulled it out frowning and hit ignore. She lowered her tail gate and grabbed a box, pretending the phone had never rang.

Christian had been raised to help a lady, and even though Miranda said she did not need any still.. between the two of them they quickly had what little she did bring in the house. He snapped his fingers and moved to the kitchen and opened a drawer remembering the one OTHER item that KC had made certain to order special and he shook his head... well two other items ... he sighed and placed the base on the counter and plugged attached the powerful small walkie talkie... also next to it he place the three pack of air horns... these were items his daughter had said they HAD to pick up and in fact where now being used at home as well....

"Okay I am heading out but ...." he handed her the fancy walkie talkie and a small card... and the instruction booklet and *sighed* " Channel ONE is called home base and should get myself or KC , channel two is emergency and should be used if you cannot get either myself or my daughter.. and channel 3 is an emergency channel and can be used ONLY if you fail to reach either myself, KC , or the three men & two woman who help our around here and should be on channel two at any one time day or night." he went on... "Channel three is in fact my in-laws who will not head out here BUT contact the sheriff or rangers depending on what is the problem.." he then pointed to the air horn.. " KC wanted me to add that some times with animals the air horn would be better then a rifle ... but they normally only are able to be used once or twice before you need a new one.... and they DO work and are really really freaking loud..."

Christian could not help but shrug and laugh a bit, "I know it seems we are going over board on safety and all Miranda but" he paused and slipped his hands in his pockets like a school boy , "Your gonna be out here all alone and I'd be careful at night... it can get very very dark... there are some lights out up if you want to be around the cabin outside... and I would also make certain you know where candles and flashlights are just in case.... " with that Christian pulled his hands from his pockets ran one through his hair and smiled. "Okay I am heading back to the ranch..." he looked at his wrist " seeya in a few hours for that dinner? and to sign the papers ...." Christian said finished at last...

(( you can reply as you wish and figure he leaves her then to do what she may and head home to see what needs to get done before she shows up for dinner ))

61cZmhHoebL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
813bRPTFHjL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Miranda was grateful that Christian had helped her bring in her boxes. She was really liking this southern hospitality and having kind people in her life again. "Thank you so much for the help." She then followed him to the kitchen, paying attention to his instructions about the walkie talkies and the air horns. "I will only use them if necessary , I don't think your going overboard at all. Kc is a good young lady, you are doing a good job." She said as he made his way to the door.

She nodded and smiled as he said he would see her in a couple hours for dinner. She waved as he left and went back into the cabin. The first thing she did was open cabinets and drawers in the kitchen, trying to orient herself with everything. She then carried her clothes in the bedroom, unpacking them and putting them away.
After that was done she began the arduous task of carrying her books, camera gear and writing supplies up to the loft. Miranda looked at the time, seeing she didn't have much longer she grabbed some clothes and got a shower. She dressed in a nice pair of jeans with some sneakers. Her top was a dressy, blue flannel shirt. Miranda did her hair in a cute braid and made her way to the house.

Jeans and shoes
Hair

Christian did a quick check around the cabin before he left, the solar panel charging station looked all good and the gauges showed full charges. He had the unit run quick diagnostic check and everything came up green and he closed the case and smiled. His thoughts were more on Miranda inside and how she seemed 'happy' , he also thought about how his girls had taken to the woman so quickly. Some 'woman' in town would not like how attractive his renter was and this caused him to smile even MORE, he was certain the first time she went to town the care pies , cakes, & dinners would start back up from those woman in town who he had politely been ignoring.

Climbing back into this truck he headed home, Christian arrived back and heard Remo Zero coming from the house both of Christians daughters were singing and he could smell fresh bread baking. He decided to leave the two of them be in the kitchen and he moved to an out side office and made a few calls asking how work was progressing and thanking his crew for dealing with the day BUT he would be back to it come morning. Then he headed inside and helped his girls finish off dinner.. it was not long before they heard Miranda's jeep approach both Sammy and KC had changed but Christian had just washed up... much to his oldest daughters chagrin!

Christian did go and get the door , inviting Miranda in who also had changed and looked like she had taken a shower and was fresh and well beautiful he could not help but take in the outfit and again feelings he had not felt since the passing of his wife coursed through him, feelings no one else had drawn from him ever since her passing. "Hi" he said and motioned to the dining room.. "I hope you are hungry..." leaving her into the room Sammy again was already seated and waited patiently 'Hi MANDY!!' the youngest girl said smiling and waving where she sat , while KC stood and looked at her father and their guest... all serious "You two sit and I will bring out the food.. " turning to Miranda she asked " We have sweet tea , unsweet tea, lemonade , or water sorry but that is about all we are allowed " she looked to her father, Christian crossed his arms " YOU do not need Soda for dinner...." though... " and that is not all we have... " Christian turned.. "Coffee and or Hot Tea is an option as welll WITH real honey for the hot tea " he said.

Christian was not one to wait so he moved to the head of the table, while Miranda was set in a seat to his right and across from him would sit KC across from Miranda Sammy... Sammy was close enough to him that he could help her should she need it with dinner. The table was 'small' it could be expanded for up to twenty but had been shortened leaf's removed for just the three .. now four of them.

Miranda's phone pinged just as she pulled up to the house. She had a missed call and a text message from Zander and one text from Judy. She read and responded to Judy first, letting her know she was safely settled and would talk to her tomorrow. Next was the message from Zander and he was NOT happy. He was pissed she broke up with him and left. He wanted to know where she was and that THIS wasn't over yet. Because how could anyone other then him love a freak like her. She growled at her phone and put it on silence before getting out.

As soon as.Miranda saw Christian at the door she smiled wide at him, the tension leaving her almost instantly. No one except for Judy knew she was here and Christian seemed quite protective . She followed Christian i to the dinning room and beamed at Sammy, "hiya Sammy." She sat at the table and tried to hide a smirk at Kc's words.

"Sweet tea will do just fine, though I might take you up on hot tea with honey when I start to help with school work and such. Plus soda isn't good for you, too much sugar, could stunt your growth ya know." She said with a playful wink in Christian. Truth be told Miranda was hungry and she wasn't raised to pretend to eat salad. No she liked a nice hearty.meal and she could eat even tho she was trim. She took her napkin and placed it on her lap, something she picked up from her grandparents. "So do your parents and in laws live pretty close then?" She asked Christian conversationally.

Christian could not hide the grin, he could not also help but see the way Sammy, who was normally quit the talker going on and on about anything her mind came up with, was quiet listening to Miranda. He felt a small pain in his chest as he remembered the last time she had been so quiet, it was with his late wife, his youngest always had listened to her mother seemingly mesmerized by her Mommies voice, and now Sammy was looking and listening to Miranda in just the same way...

KC quickly brought the drinks for all, she saw the way her father was looking at Miranda and paused confused for a second until KC saw him glance at Sammy before speaking, that was when she also realized that the 'squirt' was quiet and looking at Miranda smiling but not 'babbling'... bringing over the biscuits , mashed potatoes , and fresh chicken she placed everything on the table and took her seat. Listening to her father reply to Miranda's questions...

Christian responded "My folks moved to Florida a few years back, I never though my father was the type but Mom found this retirement villa of sorts.." he went on to go on how it was sheltered and away from most of the tourist spots, but was one of the nations premiere home for 'botany & horticulture testing' yeah Flowers .... "Mom convinced my father to move there and they live near this huge compound that grows and tests out new variations of flowers.." he laughed...and shook his head... then " My uhhh other in-laws have a place close to town, they used to have the closest farm but when I married we sorta merged the two and I took over running them both as one large place." he said again how they were about an hour out from town while he was three... as for other family.. " There are some cousins and such but none local... "

KC waited and then when she felt her father was done, she spoke up.. a smile on her face.. "So while you and dad were out I took a few minutes and looked you up on the Internet" she beamed.... " that is I looked up .. Leeann Lane " there was a slight flush to her cheeks and a gleam in her eyes.. " I think it it will be a few YEARS till I am ready to read them, " she said her cheeks red... " In fact I have my Mothers collection of your first series BUT I have been told I need to wait until I am at least 10 before being allowed to read them,' " she did an eye roll...

Christian had been eating some chicken and stopped, some things clicking in his head.. "L Lane" he said out loud... "LEEANN Lane?" he had missed it...

Last edited:
Miranda had been dishing herself up her food, listening as Christian talked. She had popped a small piece of chicken into her mouth as she nodded an understanding. Dhe swallowed her bite to reply and thats when KC stepped into the conversation.

Miranda didn't care if they looked her up or read background checks or any of that. Though, her eyes widened when KC brought up her pen name. Miranda's mouth made a small "O" of surprise as KC said her mother had had the whole first series. Then Christian chimed in and Miranda blushed crimson.

"How did you .... *gasp* the classified site online." She said to Kc, as all the pieces fell into line for her. Miranda had forgotten she had responded to the ad as L. Lane, but then introduced herself as Miranda. "You are one clever young lady. Yes, I am Leeann Lane, though I'm certainly no J.K. Rowling. I also agree with the age limit on reading my books. The first series is just suggestive but the second....well." Miranda again blushed, she was a bit beside herself that they knew who she was. Sure she had met fans before .... at book signings.....never like this. "Just ..... please don't tell anyone, I use that pen name so I can have a personal life outside of my writing. " she said softly looking to first KC, then to Christian.

KC giggled but sat up a bit straighter in her seat, Sammy just looked confused and took a chicken leg in her hand and bit into it her mouth and head in ignore mode as the food was too good. KC spoke " Yeah I thought you might want to keep that on the low down so I would suggest you change the paper work and checks and such that will be used to deposit funds at our local bank" she want on filling her own plate with food.. " this is a small town and I am certain you would cause a bit of a stir especially if any of the 'bible thumpers' " her eyes shifted to her father.

Christian raised an eyebrow but did not say anything, he would speak to KC about that term later....

KC swallowed and blushed a bit but went on, "that is the more closed minded people in town were to catch wind of you being here, not to mention the mayor and city council who are ALWAYS trying to get more people to come here for some reason, I mean they even tried to push Dad that his 'forward thinking and fresh breath farming method' was tourist worthy" she shook her head, "DAD had said..." she stopped, realizing her father must not have known she had over heard the conversation AND again she looked over to him...

Christian had his arms crossed now and was glaring at his oldest daughter, shaking his head... "What I said is not important now less talk, more eating nuff said..." turning to Miranda he kept shaking his head but smiled, "I said NO thank you... and Kacey " the way he pronounced his daughters name had her jump a bit, "is correct we will need to change up the paper work that anyone sees in town to keep your secret identity a secret.

With that he uncrossed his arms and tried to go back to eating, "so is everything good at the cabin?"

Miranda's eyes held a hint of mirth as KC had used the term, "Bible thumpers." Yesh even in Chicago she had gotten some.... not do Church worthy remarks from church goers. Though arguably her first series only eluded to the idea of sex. Now the second series, she could understand to an extent.

Miranda watched how Christian handled KC and was intrigued. He called her out when it was enough but saved the talk for when she wasn't around. That was some old school values and it was charming.

As the conversation turned her way though, she bit her bottom lip. Well .... maybe that's something you and I can discuss later when we sign papers and away from children with good hearing. As far as the cabin goes, its amazing. I think the only thing I'm going to need to buy is bookshelves. I waa going to ask you if you knew anyone who could match the color of the interior of the cabin, in solid wood bookcases. Ones that I can unscrew and take apart at a later point. The food is very good as well, I can I might be getting the better deal here. Between that veiw, this food and kind hearted people, I sure feel lucky." She said taking another bite of her chicken.

Christian smiled at her reply and nodded his head, "The food around here may be basic, but you will not find any better for freshness.." be it meat or milk no market could compete to the thrice a week farmers market that the town had, yeah you had to get the basics at the local, Christian went on to tell her about the local famer markets Tuesdays and Thursdays in the town square and Sundays after church in the large field next to the church... Sunday was the best , as the preacher also sold rib lunches to help pay for any repairs needed to the church etc..

"Well if there is anything you can think of you might need please let me" KC made a little sound... "US " Christian amended " know.. " he continued to make some minor small talk and when diner was done he stood up, there was some left overs and he offered them to Miranda as he watched his daughters work on cleaning the table and get to doing the dishes.. "Okay I am going to follow you back tonight to make certain you make it to the cabin... " he smiled.. " that is unless you brought the walkie talkie with you and would prefer to just try on your own and then beep us if needed?"

Back
Top Bottom