Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How to express your interest in a Request Thread

sentinelofdreams

Planetoid
Hi

I've had some really great role-plays in this amazing site. I adore the friendly almost family like atmosphere in this site. Unfortunately some of my partners left or are too busy to continue my previous role-plays I had. I do honestly hope my partners are safe in the real world.

I've been seeking some new partners but while I have seen some interesting request threads, I simply do not know exactly how to open up and tell them my interest in their roleplay. How do I properly DM a person for my interest in their roleplay craving they posted in the request thread? I don't call myself a good writer, and English isn't my first language. I do however wish to know some good advice from veteran roleplayers in how to properly send a DM expressing interest in one's request thread.

Thanks in advance Blue Moon!

I think in the long run, as long as you put effort in there is no wrong way. To me, a little bit of effort goes a long way!

I have one of my partner's consent to share my first message I sent them ^^

Evening Vek,

I have been eyeing your request thread for a few days now and I think we might be able to write a good story together. I don't normally get to do a lot of high fantasy/sci-fi stories much to my dismay, because I do enjoy them.

A bit about the sort of characters I like to play. I tend to prefer to play younger females and would aim to play 18-20, if we did decide to write together. They tend to be petite and on the sweet/shy side, with a penchant for clever or even slightly bratty remarks. Most if not all females I play, with the exception of with Staine are submissive and all of them tend to be virgins. I feel like it adds to the sort of innocence of the character and I saw from your F-list that that adds up. :3

I also on a different note, am a fan of all of your notable kinks and would love to find a way to include all of them. I also have a love for drama and conflict, I feel they make a story more interesting. I also am only open to writing in threads, but if I recall, that is fine!

I was particularly drawn to three of your worlds, Beast in the Backwoods, Droharas and Venerax Station. I have ideas for all three as to what I might play and how we could build around the landscape you've already created. ^^

Hope to hear from you soon~

Siren

I tend to follow something very similar to this for all my first contact PMs :3

I state:

• What I am interested in that they presented
  • I personally state where I play, because I only RP in threads
  • I tell them a little about the type of character I might play
  • If they have known kinks where we might mesh well
  • I might offer ideas or alternatives for the plots I am interested in, if they seem to match with what they are seeking

This is personally how I do it. There are all different ways to approach sending someone a message because you are interested. Even with thought and detail in, sometimes it's not for the person your sending it to. I would say just keep your chin up, even if you get a no or no answer. ^-^

I hope it helps!

The important things are already said, so I'll be quick about that.
  • Show interest, prove you read the RT thoroughly by pointing out parts that inspired you, or things that you may like to change.
  • Adjust your length according to the RT. The author of a one paragraph RT likely prefers a shorter to the point reply, while most longer RTs are a sign that the author likes detail and depth. Keep in mind your own preference here too. That's why I personally skip over RTs that consist of just a few lines.
  • Bring your own ideas to the table. Few authors enjoy reading "I read this prompt of yours, let's do it exactly like that", generally you want rps to be a creative dialog after all
Negative examples are easier, of course, there are lots of common red flags to avoid.
  • Hey , pms aren't chats.
  • Obviously bad grammar or lots of typos. I'm not a native speaker myself, but rereading your own text before sending isn't too much to ask, and neither is installing a spellchecker if necessary

I wish there was more focus on this kind of thing as a lot of opening messages aren't very promising.

Intro - "Hey I'm Alien. I have been RP'ing for X amount of time. I enjoy RP's that have X factors in them etc"
Why I am responding - "I like your idea because... "
My take on your idea - "I think it would be cool if.."

It can be simple and effective it doesn't have to be an epic. If you get a response go from there.

Ironically I just added a section to my most recent request thread, partially because I felt guilty about not responding to a lot of PMs, and partially to just make things easier for myself. It kinda gives what I, personally, look for (though I'd argue that most of the advice on here is really good and kinda goes along with it; I'd be excited if I got a PM like the one Siren posted).

Here's my unedited blurb I use(d):

This may come off as slightly demanding or something, but I've had quite a few PMs that haven't done it for me, and I know there's a lot of people who get upset about people not responding. This completely optional section outlines what I'm going to be looking for when you PM me. If you meet a lot of these, I'm likely to respond to you. If you do that and really give me what I want, I'm gonna probably all but jump on responding.

1. Gimme that sweet, sweet detail. I'm usually looking for someone who's engaging and fleshing out my ideas. Scant details makes me worried the posts will be the same.
  2. Directions and spins on my plots. I set them up, but adding them or saying where you wanna take will get me on board.
  3. Kinks that match up with mine. I have a f-list thing. I keep it fairly up to date. I will also go into detail regarding my kinks too.
  4. Use halfway decent spelling and grammar. Sloppy stuff there makes me worried you'll be sloppy elsewhere.
  5. Immediately answering the "always figure out" questions: kinks to lean into or away from; place to play (thread or PM; I lean slightly thread); who could start us off (depends on plot); who is playing what role. (seriously, nothing makes me more excited then knowing we can skip this awkward but necessary shit and get to rocking quicker).
  6. Show an obvious desire to include sexual stuff without neglecting plot and/or character relationships. If I wanted to do chaste RP, I'd go elsewhere. I'm here for fucking.

Maybe I'm different than most, but this is what I typically like in an RP proposal:

1 - Be polite. Introduce yourself.
2 - Explain what caught your interest and made you think we're compatible.
3 - Ask to see if I'm available & looking for RPs.

A lot of people think they need a DM that 'shows effort' and includes a lot of plots and the like. I don't think that's necessary because half the time, regardless of enticing the pitch is, I'll say no just because I'm not looking for anything new to my schedule.. Convincing me we're compatible in terms of writing style and interest would be enough to give a good impression, even if you leave plotting until after you check availability.

Okay, I might be in the minority here, but I think huge, sprawling messages trying to coax me into picking up a story are unnecessary. I put out the RT, after all, I shouldn't have to be talked into writing the story I said I was craving. Yes, vetting is a big deal since occasionally people aren't quite at the level I'd like (not to be a snob, I just have standards!) or they've shown they can't behave or are serial ghosters, but I've had more good partners here than bad.

I think, overall, these are what I'm looking for in the plotting stages:

1. Kink cohesion
  2. An understanding of the plot and that we're on the same page with what we want from the story
  3. Politeness
  4. Signs that we have writing styles that compliment each other nicely.
  5. A willingness to refine the plot together. I like to tailor even reused plots to who I'm writing with.
Occasionally I will ask for a writing sample as well if there are no public posts, but it's my understanding that that can be considered a bit of a faux pas. If it is, then guilty as charged. I want to make sure I'm not getting invested with someone whose writing I don't care for once it's in my inbox, or it's staring me in the face on a thread.

I think approaching me is the hardest thing for a lot of people because I give off the wrong impression and need to figure out how to fix it. The most important thing about approaching me is giving me a sense of who you are. And then also not repeating the plot I have listed on there. Tell me YOUR spin on it. I want to know what you bring to the table.

Please say what interests you ("your thread" = no) and also if there is a kink list read if it is compatible. people still ask me stuff I list as offs.

Personally:
* Introduce yourself. Always a good start.
* Tell the person a little bit about yourself as a prospective partner. It lets the other person know what they might expect from you in a writing relationship.
* What about their RT got your attention? Nice to tell the other person why you're approaching them, and lets the other person know that their RT was read and appreciated.
* What story/pairing did you want to pursue with the person? What are your thoughts on the idea vs what the other person thinks?

You don't have to write lots, but you need to write enough to get the other person's attention, as well as indicate that you're genuinely wanting to write.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but the more effort I put into a reply to an RT, the more burnt out I get when I receive a "Thanks but no thanks" or worse, no reply.

Maybe I'm an outlier, but the more effort I put into a reply to an RT, the more burnt out I get when I receive a "Thanks but no thanks" or worse, no reply.
If you’re an outlier, then so am I. I prefer to reply to RTs rather than bump my own, and I absolutely make an effort beyond “Hey, I’m interested,” but I’m not throwing out a complete resume and multiple plot pitches unless I know the person is possibly interested - some people do bump RTs containing plots they themselves have no interest in playing or are already taken, etc.

It’s not laziness, it’s just respect for my own time and effort, which I’m completely willing to put in, if it’s actually productive.

If someone rejects me because my paragraph expressing preliminary interest isn’t adequate, I’m totally fine with that.

Back
Top Bottom