Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How to write attractive male characters?

VioletLily

Moon
This is a really tough one for me.

In real life, a huge part of a guy's attractiveness is intangible, like the way they carry themselves or hold a conversation or the long-term relationship. In RP, writing subtle details about how a character moves needs an insane amount of attention to detail on the part of the writer, and really depends on the whether the context of the scene allows it. Meanwhile deep conversation is kind of difficult in a post-by-post RP format. And long-term moreso when it takes days and pages of posts just to RP a few hours of plot.

The ideal for male characters varies so much from person to person too. It's both hard for me to write an attractive male as well as find good examples in others' writing. There's some archetypes like the intense, brooding vampire/sith type. I had a phase when I thought they were cool, but right now not so much.

So I don't know, what's the most attractive male character you've RPed with and how did they do it?

This is a tricky one.

A lot of it would depend on what the other person is interested in. Like you said, a lot of what can make a man attractive in a woman's eye is intangible and very unique, so it's more about narrowing it down to a few key things that you can keep handy that really define a particular character. This is why I always tend to ask my fellow writers what they enjoy seeing in a male character. Sometimes they have a specific taste, which is easier to cover, but sometimes tastes can be quite open in which case there are a few handy tricks.

For example, height is a good thing to remind every once in a while, as well as if the character is clean or scruffy. That along with eye color, and the way they carry themselves, are useful things to bring up every once in a while. They could be a more regal-type character who carries themselves with their chin held high, and an air of superiority that emanates from every pore of their tall, toned, and well-groomed body. Or perhaps they could be shyer, keeping their boyish features lowered and covered by (insert hair adjectives) a lot of the time and offering only a brief smile here and there with their fair features.... It really depends!

Sorry if this wasn't all that helpful. Overall, I'd say there are many ways to write an attractive male character but they will all usually work out if you bring enough attention in the right amount to the features or aspects (even the intangible ones) that make him attractive.

This is a fair question.

What I've started to realize more lately is that overly-detailed descriptions are actually counter productive. Rather than trying to paint a picture of all those little details you're describing, try focusing on the overall effect or impression the character leaves, and let your reader fill in the blanks.

This is a fair question.

What I've started to realize more lately is that overly-detailed descriptions are actually counter productive. Rather than trying to paint a picture of all those little details you're describing, try focusing on the overall effect or impression the character leaves, and let your reader fill in the blanks.

I like that. Great point

This is a tricky one.

A lot of it would depend on what the other person is interested in. Like you said, a lot of what can make a man attractive in a woman's eye is intangible and very unique, so it's more about narrowing it down to a few key things that you can keep handy that really define a particular character. This is why I always tend to ask my fellow writers what they enjoy seeing in a male character. Sometimes they have a specific taste, which is easier to cover, but sometimes tastes can be quite open in which case there are a few handy tricks.

For example, height is a good thing to remind every once in a while, as well as if the character is clean or scruffy. That along with eye color, and the way they carry themselves, are useful things to bring up every once in a while. They could be a more regal-type character who carries themselves with their chin held high, and an air of superiority that emanates from every pore of their tall, toned, and well-groomed body. Or perhaps they could be shyer, keeping their boyish features lowered and covered by (insert hair adjectives) a lot of the time and offering only a brief smile here and there with their fair features.... It really depends!

Sorry if this wasn't all that helpful. Overall, I'd say there are many ways to write an attractive male character but they will all usually work out if you bring enough attention in the right amount to the features or aspects (even the intangible ones) that make him attractive.
Yea, there's many possibilities, and that actually applies to both genders. Agreeing beforehand definitely helps.

This is a fair question.

Definitely not all at the same time. Being a writer who can envisage those details in the first place and find the right context in RP isn't easy though. Agree brevity is the soul of wit, it's just good writing to keep things concise and focused.

I think outside of appearance, what makes a guy attractive to me is their confidence, kindness, and then either intellect or skill in anything they're passionate about.

If you could write a male character that has both the wits and confidence to be charming, while also being kind to others and passionate about what they're doing, you've successfully imagined an attractive guy. Its also better to convey these perks with how your character acts during scenes rather than tell the reader that your character is so and so using plain boring description.

A lot of that is interaction, sounds like a lot of context and NPCs and setup are needed. Which is unavoidable for a good plot and rounded character really. I suppose the idea is to move "empty" scenes away quickly at the start of the story, so that the guy can establish himself with more interactions. And then if needed, slow down later after the characters' personalities are clear.

Oh man, what a question.

I'll fully admit I'm a shallow bitch who's extremely visual, so like, to really hook me I need is a good faceclaim/strong description of a guy I'm attracted to.

But diving into a character is ultimately sexier and more fulfilling, and that's what'll get me to stick around and be engaged. Tease at a secret, or a dark past. Let it unfold naturally that your guy likes comedy movies, or secretly listens to Taylor Swift. Human beings are complex and multi-faceted creatures. If your guy is nothing but a pretty face with a big dong... Well, it'll be a fun RP but it won't be the sexiest and most fun one I ever had, you know?

Also keep in mind one of the strongest writing tricks is to show instead of tell. So instead of saying so-and-so has a dominant personality, show it by having him place a hand on my character's back in the scene and guide her to her chair.

Oh man, what a question.

I'll fully admit I'm a shallow bitch who's extremely visual, so like, to really hook me I need is a good faceclaim/strong description of a guy I'm attracted to.

But diving into a character is ultimately sexier and more fulfilling, and that's what'll get me to stick around and be engaged. Tease at a secret, or a dark past. Let it unfold naturally that your guy likes comedy movies, or secretly listens to Taylor Swift. Human beings are complex and multi-faceted creatures. If your guy is nothing but a pretty face with a big dong... Well, it'll be a fun RP but it won't be the sexiest and most fun one I ever had, you know?

Also keep in mind one of the strongest writing tricks is to show instead of tell. So instead of saying so-and-so has a dominant personality, show it by having him place a hand on my character's back in the scene and guide her to her chair.

Can't argue with that! There's the first impression where looks are important, then there's the unravelling of what's deeper, with the little details.

Or instead of slowing down you could keep the scenes going and shape/flesh out the character more. Even after you fully establish the character as attractive, you can always add more layers to his personality or progress the character through whatever arc you have in mind for him. Its whatever you find fun really.

I meant slow down as in more 1:1 scenes with less people around or things going on. But starting out, too much 1:1 before they get much development tends to get draggy.

It's context-sensitive depending on partner. And context-sensitive depending on the mood of that partner too. Basically there are a lot of factors. Sometimes the Alpha Chad isn't what is wanted for a particular scene. Sometimes you want the lanky college skater boi who has a lot of potential to be attractive but hasn't yet been corrupted. Potential is a big thing in roleplays. But I think universally, I want to know what's going on in his head, his facial expressions, and what other parts of his body are up to as well. ;)

I have trouble keeping my muse going with an alpha chad type for sure 😂

This is a fair question.

This is really important and it's also worth recognizing that there is a difference between collaborative writing and writing. I'll not belabor the details except to say that in terms of romance and sex, collaborative writing requires a certain pre-commitment from both parties to the ultimate goal (romance, sex, whatever). In a sense we agree in advance that our characters will find one another attractive, fall in love, bang, whatever.

The alternative is kind of a mess for various reasons. If we don't have that agreement then we have to write characters that the other character finds attractive and for various reasons (elaborated on in this thread) that turns into a real mess.

Note that this pre-commitment doesn't mean it's completely autopilot. It's probably worth talking about what it is you're looking for in the other character. Do you want my character to be an alpha chad? A skater boi? Do I want your character to be a girl next door? A slinky seductress?

Anyway this brings me around to my strong commitment. Less is more. Provide some detail for color: the slow baring of teeth in a smile, a hitched breath when touched. But don't go overboard!

Back
Top Bottom