Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

D&D 5e Ghosts of Saltmarsh - Looking for players (Closed for now)

ForeverDM

Meteorite
Hiya everyone! The name's V, I'm new here, and looking for some players for Ghosts of Saltmarsh! It's set mostly in Saltmarsh, a small fishing village being pulled in various directions by the crown's influence, local politics, smugglers, secret organizations, and all manner of sea critters. We'd be playing via text posts on Discord, ideally with scheduled sessions.

The adventures are set up such that the village of Saltmarsh is the hub, and characters repeatedly get sent out on various quests and points of interest. Normally as a DM I focus on the social pillar much more than exploration or combat, this time I think I'm gonna try to slide a bit more towards the "6-8 encounters per adventuring day" side of the slider (so you shouldn't be left high and dry if you build your character to be a monster killing machine). As for the smut, I don't think I have the confidence or writing skill to always do a good blow by blow description of sex scenes, but I think I could get it started and then fade to black. And of course we can go into greater detail when we get to that point. I think I'm aiming for a rough ratio of 90/10 Plot/Smut, but I imagine that will be something that develops organically.

As a DM, I'm pretty loose on interpreting the rules and definitely lean toward the rule of cool (i.e. "yes it's fine if your 5th level hexblade wants to use their action to do one eldritch blast and one weapon attack", or "I know I said it was 40ft tall but sure, your mage hand can reach the top"). In that vein, we're decoupling race and racial bonuses (stat buffs and other bonuses), I'm thinking of using a buffed up version of standard array instead. So give me those orc wizards, the dwarf sorcerers, and everything in between. I'm open to any published, UA, or homebrew content (holding veto power, of course) as long as I don't have to do too much plot gymnastics to rationalize.

If you're interested, either post in here or message me with a general idea of your character and anything else I may be forgetting or you would like to add. Some stuff for your consideration: This adventure really only works if all the characters generally seek the safety and prosperity of the village of Saltmarsh, so your character doesn't need to be a goody two-shoes or anything, but they should be generally willing to help out. Saltmarsh has a pretty heavy nautical theme so you're gonna want to have some idea of your character's attitudes about boats and the sea.

Last edited:
Id like to finally play some kind of paladin if able. I kind of have an idea as a ship captain or quartermaster whose devotion is to his ship and crew, so it doesnt have to be Lawful Good or anything. Could be a pirate crew.

I might be in. How do you feel about MxM? Also, how about amphibious races (as it's near the sea?)? Otherwise, I've got a full graveyard of D&D characters from short-lived online groups. I don't make anything too strange, but your looser rules are attractive.

Not gonna lie, I was interested before I read the words "Decoupling race and racial bonuses" but that was definitely enough to grab my attention. Definitely interested and will have to think long and hard about a good character concept. Will have to look at some UA classes to see what's available, but considering a Minotaur, Bugbear, or Kobold for my race.

I might be in. How do you feel about MxM? Also, how about amphibious races (as it's near the sea?)? Otherwise, I've got a full graveyard of D&D characters from short-lived online groups. I don't make anything too strange, but your looser rules are attractive.
I've got nothing but love! : )
Amphibious races are fine, there's some stuff set in stone about the surrounding waters but hit me with your idea!

If everyone could send me a draft of a character sheet and backstory that would be swell. At a minimum I'd like you to include:
-what was the inciting incident that caused you to become an adventurer? (when did you go from level 0 to level 1)
-what was your life before that?
-why are you in Saltmarsh? (I can work with you if you want that to be integrated into the story or are having difficulty coming up with something)
-your general attitude
-list 3 happy memories and 3 negative or traumatizing memories
-Sex stuff (character's orientation, character specific notes, kinks, "hard no"s, specific scenarios you want to pop up at some point)
We'll be starting at level 1, with a starting array of 8 10 12 14 16 18 for stats (remember, no racial stat bonuses), and with one feat (no, it doesn't stack with variant human).

I think the best way to go about this is to schedule semi-regular sessions where we're all on at once, in addition to sporadic posting. Could you all also send me a list of times that would work for you? (Make sure to include the timezone!) I'm thinking something like 1-3 hour sessions once or twice a week if that works for everyone.

Last edited:
Ill send you a character sheet by PM.

For my fellow party members, I'm going for a Fallen aasimar, Path of Conquest Paladin. Theme is kind of a betrayed sailor turning pirate for revenge.

I can fit the tank since that free feat I was thinking Sentinel with a whip [mmm reach] and ya know, some BDSM thrown in. If anyone else was thinking the 'strong guy' role let me know.

I'm still finalizing stuff, but MC will be an aquatic half-elf ranger. He's a local black sheep and hates clothes and arbitrary rules.

Last edited:
Melee ranger. Primary weapon will be a spear, I think. But more for stabbity than throwy. And backup daggers. He's underwater a lot.

Um.. did the discord server get deleted or did I get kicked out?

I guess no longer having the server icon was my notice...

Not taking it personally in that way. I just didn't know if it was unreliability or someone died. Big range of emotional reactions.

Back
Top Bottom