Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Damsels and Dungeons (OOC)

xavierrol

Old Dog, New Tricks
Supporter
Main Story

Characters

Once we have agreed upon your character and you have it posted in the Characters thread, please move your OOC chat here, we will leave the original interest thread if and when we want to draw more people into our little game.

Last edited:
Given the mix of characters you have selected, I am going to start you off in the City of Yartar which is the largest settlement in the Dessarin Valley where our story takes place. Many of you may recognize this as part of the larger world of Faerûn In no way do I have an encyclopedic knowledge of these places but I wanted to use them to give the setting a bit more depth. You are welcome to draw from some of the links for inspiration, setting, and your character's history and recent travels. I will do my best to provide the NPC characters as needed and to moderate actions taken between characters, essentially when they are of a non-cooperative nature.

My goal is to blend into the story and provide each of you enough freedom to play your part. I do not plan to play a main character. I will narrate within the main story, but if I want to tell you something not known to the others I will send you a PM. I work most days (eastern US time) so I do the bulk of my writing in the evenings or weekends. I can pop in more frequently with short notes or feedback on interactions and will do so as often as I can. Please be patient with one another, but also keep in mind that long absences can suck the fun out of the group for all involved.

Last edited:
I wrote a very basic start, once your character is posted on the character page, please introduce your character and place them somewhere in the city or nearby. Please make use of the links if you like, I can respond for any NPC's discussed in the wikis, though it will be helpful if you post a link for a known character. You can also keep them generic like bartender, gate guard, and such.

If you intended your character to have a D&D style class, please feel free to add it to your character post.

Anything else, just let me know.

So we are off!

The White Winged Griffin is a low rent inn in Yartar. If either of our female characters @ChrisGabriel or @Ampere want to place themselves there for dinner, I am happy to defer to you and let you respond to @Illven . If not, I have an NPC option to play out so don't feel you need to put yourself there. I'm looking forward to all of you introducing your character into the story.

Feel free to chime in here if you have questions or concerns.

Since I didn't quite put any posts into the main discussion/interest thread before, having only seen it today, I figure I'd make something of an introduction here. Well, mostly a 'hello', to be true. I'm glad to see that we're going forward with this, and my character will soon be in the character thread, per the assent given by @xavierrol !

Welcome to the story Ironuyh!

@Redone95 As we get started, I don't mind if you play out responses in both Yartar and the Stone Road at this point. Not that you can be two places at the same time, but that the more rural captures may have happened at an earlier time. You can of course also dispatch your goblin henchmen into the countryside, as they probably wouldn't fare well in Yartar.

For everyone, I encourage player to player interactions as much as possible. I will step in with NPCs where needed to keep things moving for any particular character if there is much delay. With that in mind, if you want to respond to another character but can't do it right away, feel free to express your intent here so I know not to step in. It will get easier as we begin to get to know each other and we find our groove. Feel free to use this thread to chat about ideas, cravings, thoughts and such as well as they relate to our story.

Important question, does Aerendyl have a copper. I assume she does, but just want to make sure.

Sure, that seems reasonable. No one is rolling in coin but money should be the least of their worries soon.

I'm not sure how you were wanting to run things, but it might be worth it to continue bumping the interest thread. Not sure if we're going to be looking for more slavers or damsels or the like come the future. Good to keep the options open though.

Location headers can be helpful at the beginning of posts, I also wouldn't be afraid to tag people like @xavierrol to help guide folks to posts where some response is expected from them, especially if it is a new encounter.

Combat: as we are nearing our first little battle we will soon see how things work. My intent as 'moderator' is to referee the non-consensual, contested encounters between players. So we can handle this blow by blow or more summarized. We will try to find a balance that keeps things moving but also gives each player autonomy over their character. In this case, the goblins and elf have positioned themselves, Tabitha has taken action in response. So far so good, it is Red's move for the goblins and Ada and this can be very specific with each attacker having an action or simply a mad rush to get her bound. I can work with either level of detail and will respond relatively quickly with a brief result. If the 'victim' simply wants to concede the battle, they are welcome to simply write that out, assuming I haven't already answered. Hopefully this isn't too vague but let's just try it out and see how it goes, I'm always open to constructive criticism.

Just a small nudge here: Tathariel can use a response from Betty, and then I can have her welcomed into the Inn (welcome might be a strong word given the management) if she doesn't get side tracked with our alchemist. (The Griffon isn't a very nice Inn by the way, so it might not be the preferred stop for an elf of any means.)

I'm not sure how you were wanting to run things, but it might be worth it to continue bumping the interest thread. Not sure if we're going to be looking for more slavers or damsels or the like come the future. Good to keep the options open though.

My first priority is to get those already playing engaged, once that happens, or it becomes clear what players are able to engage and which are not, I will look to bump the thread. Unlike individual RT's, groups tend to stay high on the list for a long time, so a lot of bumping isn't generally necessary. I think the best advertisement for new players is us getting a good start on our main story. We have some good posts, I know for myself starts are always tough as we get to know each other as writers.

So, should there be any format of opposed rolls or the like? Tabitha's got a rather decent strength, and I have no basis by which to assume anything of Ada. Unsure if it'd be just rolling, or if since she had a rather wholly advantageous position, that means Tabitha's got little chance of retaliation, having given her back and now being grappled.

I'm going to treat her like a bandit, as far as strength goes. She has surprise. If you want to roll a D20 and Red can roll 4 D20, I'll give you a result based on each character's luck and relative strengths. Fair enough?

In the interest of keeping our momentum I will roll for the attackers as Red is not online and his intent is pretty clear.

Smut in Main Thread

While this is a somewhat smut heavy theme, how do you all feel about the level of detail in the main thread? Does your inner voyeur want to read every detailed nuance or should we consider spinning off the more intimate encounters to other threads and/or PM for those involved? I enjoy smut of course but depending on level of detail it can really tie up (pun intended) the main story thread.

I believe I can request our own sub-directory, where we could create sub-threads and keep everything together and a bit more organized. So that is an option as well.

A separate section for where things would otherwise choke up the thread sounds like a reasonable compromise. But I'd still like to eavesdrop on the naughtiness if at all possible. :sneaky:

The best part about fantasy worlds is the ability to dress in completely impractical fashion and fit right in. :D

At least her pauldrons look like serious business, and the gorget's not bad either.

I'm having her stop by Whitewings, but I don't mean to interrupt you two's fun, or anything. I just figured rather than force the GM to come up with a whole new location, it was better than interfering with Tabitha (who she'd have to try to rescue) and Ada; or trying to walk into the Hand's headquarters without invitation :)

Heh, well, we wouldn't want to offend the proprietor. It's a "reputable business" after all. :coffee: One that is surely not supplying info to the Hand. Or the Zhentarim. Or the Kraken Society. And certainly not the Harpers!

On a very interesting note, while researching the area for Ixana's background, I found out Baldur's Gate 3 is coming out in a month! And apparently it takes place at least partly in Yartar.

I added somewhat significantly to my last post for @Ampere

I originally wrote more description of the place than opportunity to forward the story, so I wanted to give her a bit more to work with.

And yes I'm stealing names and images from other stories, but I liked Alma's look and name for this role.

Back
Top Bottom