Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How did Blue Moon get its start?

Leonheart

I turned myself into a pickle!
Supporter
For those of you who have been around for a while, I'm curious as to how Blue Moon succeeded and became the popular site it is now. For those of you who have never tried starting a forum, it is very difficult from the onset to get people to visit. So, this question would be for members who have been around for a while to clarify the model of advertising that made Blue Moon what it is today. I would also love to hear any stories about this website from years past and what you might miss about things that have gone away after changes.

Ha, ha. Ohhhhh, the stories I can regale you with. My memory might be a little fuzzy at present, but I think what I can tell you was that this website started out as an alternative to what was then known as Darker Roleplay, or DeRP who might remember some of the fallout from some of the admins that were too busy fighting it out amongst the other for some arbitrary reason or another over staff changes or lack of policy enforcement and the like, but what was ultimately the nail in the coffin was that one admin was so hung up on his own hubris that it all just went to shit. There was one admin (prettylyksin, actually when I think about it now) who reached out to me one day and said, "Hey, you wanna come here?" to which I said, sure, why not? Considering the fact that it was in the summer at the time and I was at home nursing a broken toe, I didn't really have much else going on at the time.

So, there was a free forum site this started out on. Still up even to this day. After some growing pains, we then went to another forum site, of which all of us absolutely hated since navigating the interface was a right royal pain in the ass - I remember having to make a guide for people who couldn't make heads or tails of it - and then afterwards, we ended up coming onto here and have been around since 2009. After some time, this place got partnered with Elliquiy and since then, this place just took off like a shot of lightning. Some of us ended up going there as ambassadors and we pretty much had a whole lotta cross traffic from both websites.

There's probably more to it that I'm missing and like I said, my 35-year-old boomer ass can't remember ALL of the details, but ehh. More will come forward, I assure you.

Back
Top Bottom