Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Recipe Sharing!

PhoenixRising82

“Ours is the Magic. Ours is the Power.”
I don’t know if there is another thread like this....but there should be! (And if there is, point me toward it and I’ll delete this.)

Meals. Baking. Whatever recipe you have that you really enjoy, please share! We can trade and make this a well fed community. ;)

Here’s one I just made and it is super delicious!

362EC7F4-C8C3-4183-8F93-D296DF5B2D49.jpeg E9168A93-A777-4F2F-8609-CA5AD6957BE0.jpeg A088134A-F813-4226-8B51-CBAC0726EA55.jpeg D4C33B95-CB75-4A9F-A41B-2A14CA229B92.jpeg 88A59C47-EA20-45A2-98C2-9433DF8409C1.jpeg

I had more than enough frosting, likely enough for another batch. You can freeze butter cream frostings, which is handy so I don’t have to waste it and I don’t have to make another batch when I decide to make more of these! 🥰

My salsa fresca is simple. Get a medium sized bowl and...
Chop up 3 fresh tomatoes 🍅
Finely chop 1 fresh Jalapeño 🌶 (seeds & membrane removed)
Chop one Capsicum (cored)
Chop 2 Spring onion stalks
Finely chop 2 medium garlic cloves (or use press)
Stir together in the bowl.
If very liquidy, dump into strainer to drain.
Serve with corn chips or use in tacos.
Will keep for three days in the fridge.

I have vowed to make up some Clam Chowder while living with my adopted family here down under. One of my favourites is Duke's Clam Chowder from the Seattle restaurant chain. I loved it when we were there a few years ago. They has these little recipe sheets on the table ti take home.

I've had issues sourcing everything I need here, but I found a source for canned minced clams and I found a simple recipe for making what is called ‘Clam Base’ in many Clam Chowder recipes. Now I have to get busy.

~ ~ ~

Duke's Award Winning Clam Chowder
Courtesy of Bill Ranniger, Duke's Chowder House executive chef
(Makes about a quart of chowder)

Ingredients:

• 2 cups organic baby red potatoes, small to medium dice
  • 4 strips bacon (nitrite free), medium dice
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 cups diced celery
  • 2 cups diced onion
  • 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, chopped
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 1/2 cups clam juice
  • 2 tablespoons clam base*
  • 1/2 teaspoon fresh basil, small dice
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, stems removed, small dice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, small dice
  • I tablespoon fresh dill, stems removed, small dice
  • l 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 1/2 cups heavy cream, unsweetened
  • 3x 6.5oz cans of minced clams (use juice in the clam mixture)

Directions:
Blanch potatoes in boiling water until lender. Cool and reserve.
Cook bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan until it begins to crisp.
Add butter, onions, garlic and celery. Saute until tender.
Add flour, lower heat and cook for 7 minutes at 165°F/75°C degrees to make a roux.
Mix and dissolve clam base with clam juice in a separate bowl.
Add clam mixture to the original pot.
Add dairy products and herbs.
Heat until almost boiling (185°F/85°C), blending with a wire whip.
Add blanched potatoes and clams.
Simmer for two to three minutes.
Serve immediately hot, or for a more developed flavour, refrigerate right away for 24 hours, then re-heat and serve.

*See Clam Base Recipe below. (Duke's suggested product: Custom Culinary Gold Label Clam base, available at amazon.com)

~ ~ ~

Clam Base

Ingredients:

• 1 can (6.5 ounce size) clams
  • 1 tablespoon salt (maybe less)
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice

Directions:
To make homemade clam base, simply puree the contents of a can of clams with salt and lemon juice. Makes 1 Cup.
Use this for the 'clam base' called for in the recipe you're using.

I made this for lunch today, and it was amazing. (Recipe from The Chunky Chef.)

The Best Homemade Sloppy Joes

Step away from the canned sauce and give these homemade sloppy joes a try! They're truly the best version of a childhood favorite!

Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time25 mins

Course: Main Course
Cuisine: American
Keyword: sloppy joe recipe

Servings: 6 servings

Calories: 266kcal

Ingredients
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1/3 green bell pepper, minced
  • 1/2 large yellow onion, minced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp tomato paste
  • 2/3 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar (or less, if you prefer)
  • 1 tsp yellow mustard
  • 3/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 tsp kosher salt
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • dash of hot sauce (optional)
Instructions
  • Heat butter and oil in large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add beef and brown, breaking apart into crumbles as it cooks, about 5 minutes. Transfer to colander to drain.
  • Add onion and bell pepper to same skillet and cook 2-3 minutes, until soft. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds or so, until fragrant. Add beef back to the skillet and add tomato paste. Stir well.
  • Add ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt, red pepper flakes (if using), and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
  • Cook over MED heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture has thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and serve over toasted buns.
Notes
Sloppy Joe meat mixture can be frozen!
  1. Cool the mixture completely, then add to freezer containers and freeze for up to 4 months.
  2. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat before serving.

Creamy Alfredo Lasagna Soup
(Recipe from
Small Town Woman on Facebook. She has some amazing recipes for all sorts of things!)

With the weather getting colder, I just love me some soups and chili’s.

I followed the recipe for the most part but I did convert it to a crock pot style recipe. I also doubled the recipe, you can do so on the recipe page actually. Anyways, I put the chicken broth in the crock pot and let it heat up while I did everything else on the stove and then put it all into the crock pot. I did not use the 8 cups of baby spinach though, I used about half that instead. 4 cups is already a lot. I waited to add the lasagna noodles until about a half hour or so before I planned on serving/eating it.

It is absolutely delicious!

2BDC89F2-0CCB-4C5B-B6DE-6414E44F1EBA.jpeg

Air Fryer Donuts. Easiest shit in the world. Pairs well with ice cream. I used to make these bad boys everytime some of my FGC buddies came over for some sets before the 'Rona came and fucked it all up.

Take a can of jumbo flaky biscuits and open that shit.
Then separate the biscuits on a flat surface
With a small ring cutter, cut out a hole in the middle of each biscuit.

Preheat your air fryer of course. Once the donut biscuits are ready, spray some olive oil or coconut oil in the basket.
Then just pop them fuckers in for about 5 minutes at 360 degrees F. At most you'll be doing this in batches at about 4 a piece.

So while they're cooking, get some sugar and cinnamon and whisk them together and melt some butter (you'll need quite a bit).

Once the donuts are done in the air fryer, either dunk them in the melted butter or simply brush the butter onto them before dunking them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Serve with some caramel or vanilla ice cream and HOOO BOY.

And if you got some butter and cinnamon/sugar left, then pop the biscuit centers in the air fryer for some easy donut holes.

Back
Top Bottom