Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[WB] The public policy of fantasy sex slavery!

Shiver

Slaver Bait
Anyone who has roleplayed with me or seen my ads will know that high fantasy sex slavery is basically my MO and raison d'etre.

While I have absolutely no shame at being a walking cliché, I do feel that sometimes the sex slavery trope is made more interesting with some twists and limitations. Which means I sometimes like to concoct elaborate rules or norms that govern the institution of slavery in my settings. Maybe slavery is only for those found guilty of crimes? Maybe it's time-limited? Maybe it's restricted to certain social classes?

I'm curious to hear if any of you have dreamed up customary or legal frameworks to manage the institution of slavery as part of your worldbuilding!

I mean I don't do Gorean style slavery, but I have done world building with others in a neo-fantasy setting with fantasy races as a slave caste in a human modern setting and the social tensions it creates in culture and economy.

I created a country where a criminal who committed certain crimes would be sold into slavery for a time ranging from half a year to ten years. After all, it's easier to keep slaves happy if they do not have to risk their neck to be free in the future, if they behave and work diligently.

Said country also usually had slave masters offer former slaves positions as servants with a well-off living wage and all that. In practice, some slaves were even put into positions of authority, where they could order free people around. (For example, the warden of a duke's dungeon was a slave, who gave guards orders and tasks to keep the dungeon running smoothly.)

I think the scale of slavery as an institution(s) is going to affect how to approach this from a world-building perspective tbh.

If, in your setting, you want sexual slavery to be as common an institution as marriage, then you're going to have to begin work pretty deep down in the cultural level to explain why such an intense violation is so casually commonplace. But if it's limited to a specific region/city-state then it's a lot easier to handwave that stuff and get to work on the more exciting legal infrastructure. (I never thought I would type out that phrase tbh)

I'm not the biggest slavery kinkster imo, but I enjoy fantasy settings with skimpy clothing which gave me an idea: In a place with legalized slavery, it would make sense for standardized tattoos to identify who is a slave and whom they belong to. The tattoo would need to be in a place that's not too difficult for people to check, as well, so upper/outer thighs came to mind since it's easily accessible but also there's generally a lot of room for tattooing/marking thick thighs save lives. I feel like, at least among the wealthier/more fashionable classes, this practice would lead to a fashion style amongst free people of double-slit dresses or leotard bottoms to publicly advertise their freedom.

This also leaves room for the possibility of slaves attempting to disguise their ownership with shorts/dresses, and if you're into public humiliation scenes there could be moments where a slave (or even free person) is forcibly stripped to expose their tattoo/status.

I feel like, at least among the wealthier/more fashionable classes, this practice would lead to a fashion style amongst free people of double-slit dresses or leotard bottoms to publicly advertise their freedom.

That's interesting, I really like that. And conversely, garments that cover the area might be considered low or plebian.

I think the most important thing is to determine the SOURCE of the slavery. This greatly affects the attitudes and treatment towards slaves and masters respectively.
  • Are slaves prisoners of war? Then they're most likely not treated particularly well except by rare masters, and are used and discarded freely. Their children are entirely reliant on whether or not the master wishes to accept them (if they're his/hers) or free them otherwise.
  • Are slaves debtors? Then they actually likely have a decent number of rights still, and they're working to not only pay back their personal debt but the debt owed for their purchase as well. There being some system or another to help determine how much a slave earns.
  • Are slaves kidnapped people? Well slavery is likely illegal if its from your own nation, but if its from other nations or barbaric lands, then their treatment is likely based on what roles they are meant to serve. Physical laborers are likely treated like animals, pleasure pets meanwhile likely get decent treatment as long as they perform.
  • Are slaves criminals like mentioned by Inkybus? Then their treatment can vary pretty widely, and likely highly by what kind of crime they committed. You could see slaves being considered public property. You could see slaves being given to the victims of their crimes. And of course something like Inkybus suggested.
  • Are slaves just born that way because of some genetic trait? Such as being men or women? Being born into some race like elves or dwarves? In which case its likely often just a fact of life in a society, and while the submissiveness is expected there is likely not a whole lot of abuse in a society that's developed with such a system in place.
  • Are slaves voluntary? Why yes this is one no one ever thinks about. But its entirely possible that the slave trade is entirely voluntary participation. In which case slaves likely have a lot of rights, and are likely even treated quite well by their masters.
Course that's just some initial thoughts on the subject and only what I personally find most likely. Really its something that does heavily affect the world and you can get a whole lot of systems in place, even in the same world. I've created quite a few different systems just asking that base question to myself, my own setting I've got three different slavery systems using various things like that, each having quite a different feel to them.

I think the most important thing is to determine the SOURCE of the slavery. This greatly affects the attitudes and treatment towards slaves and masters respectively.
  • Are slaves prisoners of war? Then they're most likely not treated particularly well except by rare masters, and are used and discarded freely. Their children are entirely reliant on whether or not the master wishes to accept them (if they're his/hers) or free them otherwise.
  • Are slaves debtors? Then they actually likely have a decent number of rights still, and they're working to not only pay back their personal debt but the debt owed for their purchase as well. There being some system or another to help determine how much a slave earns.
  • Are slaves kidnapped people? Well slavery is likely illegal if its from your own nation, but if its from other nations or barbaric lands, then their treatment is likely based on what roles they are meant to serve. Physical laborers are likely treated like animals, pleasure pets meanwhile likely get decent treatment as long as they perform.
  • Are slaves criminals like mentioned by Inkybus? Then their treatment can vary pretty widely, and likely highly by what kind of crime they committed. You could see slaves being considered public property. You could see slaves being given to the victims of their crimes. And of course something like Inkybus suggested.
  • Are slaves just born that way because of some genetic trait? Such as being men or women? Being born into some race like elves or dwarves? In which case its likely often just a fact of life in a society, and while the submissiveness is expected there is likely not a whole lot of abuse in a society that's developed with such a system in place.
  • Are slaves voluntary? Why yes this is one no one ever thinks about. But its entirely possible that the slave trade is entirely voluntary participation. In which case slaves likely have a lot of rights, and are likely even treated quite well by their masters.
Course that's just some initial thoughts on the subject and only what I personally find most likely. Really its something that does heavily affect the world and you can get a whole lot of systems in place, even in the same world. I've created quite a few different systems just asking that base question to myself, my own setting I've got three different slavery systems using various things like that, each having quite a different feel to them.

I mean in my 'Verse there was a huge war two centuries ago, the Second Necromancer War and this basically crushed all established fantasy races, accept humans who became dominant due to taking the path of the industry over magic. the first slave castes started with the male populations of Moon Elves and Neko being decimated and human soldiers taking these sexy races of comfort slaves. later when they realize the extent of the damage some ex-soldiers and entrepreneurs determined that literally most of these races due to their lack of males cannot sustain further population growth and would die out. so either by treaty or just unilaterally, these races were enslaved. so the motive in this universe has many rationales, for the nobles its perverse pleasure and status, for ex-soldiers it's a peace-time vocation, and for the politicians is slightly altruistically motivated. But that was two centuries ago. some elves still remember how it all came about, but the generations of humans just grew up with it as an institution.

then there are the rules of the slave provinces vs the free provinces. I guess everything I focus on my universe we end up indulging more in the history and culture than rules and regulations. it used to be up to the Master's guild to universalize the rules of slave shops and public policy, but since these are noble who don't like following rules themselves, they tend to break their own rules and deal with the political push back of the puritain establishments. also there is the concern Human are ignoring is that the human birthrate is plummiting while the slave birthrate is soaring.

These are some pretty cool systems/backstories. Thanks for sharing, all! :)

Another aspect I like to give attention to is whether there are legal ways to seize someone's slave. A slave-owner owing a debt and having to liquidate slaves as an asset is an obvious way, but perhaps there are other things a slave-owner can do (or fail to do) that make it fair game for others to claim his slaves? Totally depends on the nature of the world, of course, and what passes for law, but it's a fun thing to contemplate.

then there are the rules of the slave provinces vs the free provinces. I guess everything I focus on my universe we end up indulging more in the history and culture than rules and regulations. it used to be up to the Master's guild to universalize the rules of slave shops and public policy, but since these are noble who don't like following rules themselves, they tend to break their own rules and deal with the political push back of the puritain establishments. also there is the concern Human are ignoring is that the human birthrate is plummiting while the slave birthrate is soaring.

This is a something I've played with as well. Guild and Unions and political factions getting involved with the slave trade. Slavery can heavily influence a society. Its an underutilized subject I find in slave based rps. Personally I think a "Grade" system would naturally develop in a slave based society as well, at least once you get past the agrarian society level. Once you enter a more industrial society I would think you'd get slave categories based on their perceived value and uses. Likely each category having their own differing levels of rights as well.

Another aspect I like to give attention to is whether there are legal ways to seize someone's slave. A slave-owner owing a debt and having to liquidate slaves as an asset is an obvious way, but perhaps there are other things a slave-owner can do (or fail to do) that make it fair game for others to claim his slaves? Totally depends on the nature of the world, of course, and what passes for law, but it's a fun thing to contemplate.

That's one way to go about things. But there's also governmental seizing to take into account, either as reparations towards a victim of the master through legal proceedings, or as seizing private assets through some form of eminent domain.
There is also the question of a Master losing their slaves if they commit a serious enough crime, as that seems like a fairly reasonable response. Much like criminals can't be trusted to own deadly weapons, not being trusted to own slaves would also be reasonable.
Which also brings up an interesting question, who is responsible for a slave breaking the law? The master or the slave? Is a slave who breaks the law treated as a person or an animal? I think that's an interesting question when developing a slave system as well.

I guess the setting I use, its doesn't have any hard "rules" per se, but rather regulations based on what type of slave you have, if you are going to have them in public and what protections slave get outside the home. since most of humanity in this setting is industrialized, slaves are mostly used for sex, companionship, service sector jobs (law permitting) sex toy R&D, and modeling and advertisement. (this is far more controversial since human models are basically out of the market due to slave girls, this among other societal tensions has animosity among slave girls and areas that allowed slave shops and guilds to start, though the guilds and shops do have alot of economic power, so even if the population is puritan or resentful, they can still pull strings with local government.) also for provinces that gave up on puritanism, smut coms have replaced sit-coms and often use slave girls for smutty TV shows.

only in some free provinces are some level of integration with a slave girl and human allowed, but with restrictions and good reasons. for example, they will let 'brownie' elves attend human highschools (provided they were much skimpier uniforms and teachers can fuck them as a form of reprimand) but the councils would never allow for a more forward and openly slutty slave like a neko into their schools and no one wants to risk a Drow.

Sex slavery aside and going for slavery in general here, I have a world that I am currently developing (and probably will be for years to come), slavery is a huge industry! It's nice too because people can make characters for it and they help develop the systems in place as well. But I will copy and paste what I have to partake in this lovely conversation. Just a heads up that the world is called Tam'nýer—a' and most of this might seem like gibberish thanks to location names.

-----

Slavery in Tam'nýer—a' can be a common thing. As for most things, it really relies on where you are, but generally is accepted in terms of you can be a slave owner. The trick, however, is procuring one as the only slave market/auction in all of Tam'nýer—a' is located in, you guessed it, B'hărăbû.

Here's a quick run down of what is accepted when it comes to slavery depending on where you are;

1. In Fawzia-Kedet, slave trading and buying is illegal. However, owning one is not. It may be frowned upon by some or many but there are no laws against it. This even goes on to be accepted to the point that there is no limit as to how many you can own and why you own them.

2. In Püertagœ, like Fawzia-Kedet, slave trading and buying is illegal, owning is not. But the defining difference is that there are laws in place for slave owners, such as keeping slaves healthy. This also includes that the only time you should own a slave who is of an age considered to be a child is that the child itself is the child of a slave you had under your care at the time of pregnancy and was more or less, born into it. Slaves also must be released from duties once they have hit a certain age (race dependent). This is to ensure that slaves do not work until death. Though you might notice that they are only free from duties, not residence or healthcare. This is the slave owner's responsibility still. Slaves with retirement rights. Who knew?

3. In ZàÞça owning slaves, as well as trading slaves is legal. Buying, however, is not. So, if two people had slaves, and those slaves would be better suited in the other owner's home, they could legally trade a slave for a slave. A slave however can only be traded for another slave and not anything to "make up the value" of said slave, as this tip-toes the line of buying in the eye of the law. Of course, like Püertagœ, slave owners must keep slaves healthy. However, if a slave requires punishment, that punishment is left up to the owner to determine the severity of said punishment and in this case cause harm to the slave, but cannot mutilate or kill the slave. Unlike Püertagœ though, you can keep a slave for the entirety of their life. In no way does a slave owner need to grant a slave freedom. Though it is looked favorably upon if one releases a slave upon the owner's death.

4. Slavery in the Sky-Coral Sea, also known as Uwhang, is viewed as abhorrent and illegal on all levels.​

Cruel Realities:

• If you are born into slavery, consider yourself lucky in the sense that you won't be marked. If you ever get an opportunity to be free, you won't bare any marks telling that you have ever served.​
• Nothing keeps anyone from getting claimed and thrown into slavery. Trafficking people is a business, so everyone is at risk. If you are affluent, prepare to get held for ransom rather than put into slavery. However, if your relatives or loved ones don't pay up, well, it's probably either slavery or death.

• When it comes to being released from service, you are unfortunately marked for life. That means that you may get mistaken for a slave still in active service. If you are lucky and have earned your autonomy, you will most likely be given a bonding document saying such. If not, you're on your own.​
• If you are a slave owned and kept in B'hărăbû, you are more than likely going to be used for entertainment purposes such as fighting till death, or being a whore. Only in underground fighting rings across Tam'nýer—a' can you be used for fighting, unless bought to be a bodyguard.​

THE SLAVE MARKET

B'hărăbû is home to the sole slave market in Tam'nyer-a' . It is a large part of B'hărăbû and will bring people of all walks of life to it's ports. Since acquiring slaves is usually illegal but having them is not, (unless you are in Uwhang), B'hărăbû becomes a necessary destination to acquire one if you are in the market for one.

The slave market is incredibly diverse, and the fact that it does so well, also means that trafficking people is alive and well too. But this fact is so clearly overlooked, that the injustice of it can be sickening to those with a big heart.

Sales are done in two specific ways; auction and 'walking the line'. An auction needs no explanation, but 'Walking the line' is an allusion to the act of walking down the slave alley where they are kept in cages or stockades on display for sale by private owners and slave merchants. The owners of the slaves can choose which way they would rather sell their goods, and the main difference lies in the taxes.

Those who sell through auction tend to pay higher taxes to B'hărăbû as they pay a portion of what they sold their slave for and 10 P'ee K'äh (think gold. It's the monetary system of Tam) for auction house maintenance. But using the auction means slave owners have a higher chance of selling even their least appealing slaves because people can sit comfortably and attend the auction as if it were a form of entertainment. Comparable to us going to a movie theatre. The merchants who use the alley pay a simple fee for the space that they take up, based on the measurements of their 'stall'.

Symbols:
There are also slave symbols to depict what a slave might good for or telling's of their personality such as; Aggressive, Fertile, Not Served Previously, Has Served Previously, etc. I won't include those here because there is quite the handful of them, but here's one as an example. This one is "Never Served";
upOq7vy.png

The symbols can be painted on, tattooed, or branded depending on the trader/owner.

For twists on fantasy sex slavery, I always thought having a role reversal as part of some festival once a year.

Usually, when I have this kind of sex slavery, where you typically have some kind of wealthy master who owns slaves for pleasure purposes, it's a specific industry geared towards the wealthiest and most elite members of the society it occurs in. Usually with slaves being bred specifically for this purpose. Occasionally reduction to such a station might be a punishment. In this case they would be bought and sold as property, officially classified as objects, not even on the level of livestock.

This system is generally specific to a certain culture and is separate from other forms of slavery in the setting, which are usually more along the lines of indentured servitude and other forms of forcing people into a position of cheap labor, but generally not being chattel slavery.

Slave trading and buying is illegal. However, owning one is not.

I like that! It's a neat distinction that creates some real limitations on how slave owners operate. Also very authentic to how some vice laws are structured in some countries IRL.

I RP a faction that I rotate in and out of use for DM/GM situations, they use sexual slavery for all different kinds of functions.

One particular function would be Enforced Slaves, or prisoners that would rather be a slave than to experience a prison, or a sentence that is directly aimed at rehabilitating them from their old, bad ways, into some a bit more tame. So there are no chains and being bagged while fucked senseless, and Enforced Slaves actually have nearly as many rights as a normal person.

Then there are Entitled Slaves, or, people who just want to be a slave as their profession. Instead of being independent, they're dependent on their owner, either because it means they'll get a better life, or because there is some kind of reward in the process. Usually an Entitled Slave is extremely educated and well developed, but that's not always the case.

Annnnnnnd then there is Forced Slavery, which the faction does not participate in themselves, but they still use the system to buy slaves from others that participate in this system. So you can imagine shackles and chains, and being bought up, or just taken from one group, and then put into either Entitled Slave Status or Enforced Slave Status.

I use RP to refine this aspect, because I intend on using it for a novel in the future.

Back
Top Bottom