Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Do people actually have good experiences with Discord?

Literally everytime that Discord has got involved with my RPs, be it RPing through discord, or just discord for chatting it kills the RP almost immediately, with RPs usually only lasting a day or two before people ditch them.

I think it's because (most) people who use discord are using it to get instant gratification from their RPs, so the absolute moment that they have to make any sort of effort to get that gratification, they just ditch the RP instead.

Thus, I refuse to involve discord on any level (even plotting or chatting) with my RPs.

If I've already formed a good writing relationship with someone, Discord works great for me. I write with my favorite partner on Discord all the time and it's a great way for us to start up a private new story and see if we like the feel of the characters without 500 threads on here.

But - that's with someone I already have a good working writing relationship with. If I haven't written with someone before, I despise using Discord. It doesn't matter if we met here on BMR or on a roleplay server on Discord, I've never found a discord roleplay that I didn't absolutely hate. I have to agree that it's the instant gratification of it. But, I also very much enjoy forums. I've always had a fondness for watching a thread grow and the loooong replies in forums that I simply can't get with discord.

And this is all personal opinion. I enjoy DIscord as a GREAT chat app and it helps with OOC conversation, but I very much prefer a forum over anything else.

It's funny, I wrote in here just the other day about how I don't involve discord at all (not even for plotting) because literally everytime discord gets involved the RP dies almost immediately after...

And then just yesterday I had someone interested in one of my RPs but BEGGED me, absolutely pleaded on their virtual knees over several PMs for me to do it over discord. I even tortured them about it and was like "Try to convince me by showing me your character (in PMs) and make your character so great that it convinces me to do discord". Finally, after like an hour of back and forth messages of them absolutely begging me to do the RP on discord I cave and agree.

We literally got one message in each before they said "Catch you next time then..." and then quit the server within an hour of making it and us starting.

So yeah, never again. No matter how hard they beg and plead, I don't care if they offer me $1000, I'm NEVER getting discord involved with my RPs again.

I personally wouldn't use Discord because I use it for other stuff and don't want to get anything mixed up. I just don't want to connect erotic roleplaying to anything related to real life.

My recurring problem with discord is that the quality of ERP communities is abysmal.

Endless seas of nothing but spam and low-effort contributions, nobody able to talk in anything resembling sentences, let alone paragraphs.

As far as a one-on-one tool it's really nice, although the 2000 character per post limit is really annoying, especially for people who don't expect it.

My recurring problem with discord is that the quality of ERP communities is abysmal.

Endless seas of nothing but spam and low-effort contributions, nobody able to talk in anything resembling sentences, let alone paragraphs.

As far as a one-on-one tool it's really nice, although the 2000 character per post limit is really annoying, especially for people who don't expect it.
Oh I HATE the 2000 character limit! All it does is make me have to break my post up and then let my partner know when I'm done!

Aye, I only RP on Discord, so I can give some info on that.

So a lot of people just prefer Discord because of a lot of things, and these things make everything a lot more enjoyable for the people who seek it.

1. They don't like other people telling them what they can or cannot pretend to RP. Generally people telling other people what they can or cannot do in pretend land leaves a bad taste in their mouths.
2. Discord makes organization a lot easier and accessible in comparison to a forum. Forums for RP are super outdated, but still applicable if it's preferred.
3. Discord has pins and can exchange information quickly with the use of notifications and many, many different settings that a forum can't provide.
4. You can have multiple RP's in a single server, and you can have many partners all privatized on a server for yours and their security / privacy.

From my experience, it's a very small population that are as you've described. I believe a part of the issue is more or less the mood difference between contacts. Some people contact others while in a mood, and when they don't get re-contacted during that mood, they seem to vanish. This is why F-list is useful, because it's got it's own advertisements, and people can contact each other while in that same mood. I personally find that a lot of the F-list staff suffer from god complexes or stalker issues, enough for me to purchase a VPN to avoid some of their staff from stalking me. That's an additional + with Discord though, you don't really need to deal with stalker issues or abuse of power, you're your own responsibility on Discord.

With Discord however, you can make your RP play-land a beautiful and well designed piece of art. Here's an example of what I would consider to be a well orchestrated Discord for RP! This particular server has 2 active RP's, an OOC section, and a FC section. This is why I prefer to take F-list points of interest from their client, to Discord, because of the tools that Discord has to offer.

Hope this helps! I'm sure that if you will find a partner that fits what you're looking for.
Thanks alot for this summary!

Back
Top Bottom