Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Remembering Oakwood ~ (Steve Harrison & Allison Kaye)

Allison Kennedy

Bartender at Mindy's Bistro in Oakwood California
Oakland California – July 2006

It had been a week for Allison as she formally announced that after five years, she would not be returning to the Raiderettes. There would be a grand farewell party for the retiring members, and it just so had it that Allison was able to arrange the bash to be where she had been working for most of her time in Oakland… The Woods Bar. With Anita quitting, Allison was to cover most of the floor until closing. She was glad to not have the Raiderette cheer practice anymore as it meant she could sleep in now. But the fulltime evening shifts all week and weekend would still be rough. Fortunately, tonight would be her last day of her seven day run before getting her ‘weekend’… Sunday and Monday, off. But she was exhausted and still had to get through this Saturday night, and Saturday nights were the busiest!

After showering and dressing into her work uniform which was black hotpants with a black snug-fitting tank-top with the Woods Bar logo. She slipped on her black running shoes which were comfortable enough to be in all shift. With a yawn she checked her bag and made sure her apron and her flaps were in there along with her phone and a bottle of water. One could never have too much water in this city. She drove to work and arrived a few minutes early.

Getting to the bar, Allison did a last-minute check in the car mirror of her minimal makeup before heading in. A light rain… drizzle really, was falling which was not out of the ordinary for Oakland in July after a run of hot days. Going inside, the place wasn’t too busy, and Allison smiled as Dani the afternoon waitress walked by. “Hi! She said as Dani cruised by with a tray to collect empty glasses. She stopped at a nearby table as she said, “Hi Allison … am I glad to see you!”

Allison paused and helped Dani collect the glasses as Dani went on… “We’re down to one bartender as Dan called in sick, so lucky you gets to run the bar while I do a double shift on the floor tonight. I just got my certification, so I’m allowed to serve drinks now, but need to be checked off by the boss first.” Dani picked up the tray and Allison followed her back behind the bar. Dani couldn’t work the bar yet but she was allowed to take drinks away from the bar on a tray to serve tables. She got settled into work after putting her stuff in the back and went out with a spray bottle of Lysol and a towel to wipe down the empty bar before the place got busy.

With the lull she had just finished up the last clear table and was on her way to the back when the door opened. Allison paused and smiled and said, “Hello! Welcome to Wood’s! We have both table and bar service…” Her step paused as she took in the rather handsome group of army soldiers. They were all in their dress greens and looking like they had just finished something important. One soldier in particular looked really familiar, but Allison didn’t want to try and guess where she knew him from. She quickly turned her head to keep on moving. She felt his eyes on her as she walked away, and maybe… just maybe she put a little extra in her step…

Getting to the back she set the glasses in the dishwasher and ran it, all the while noting the man who had entered. Allison knew she would have a herd time keeping her eyes off him as she tried to remember him. It then hit her…. High school! It was Steve Harrison!

Last edited:
Oakland California – July 2006

It was a sombre service for Private Bennett, and Steve was glad some of the guys from the unit who had also suffered minor wounds were there. After the service Steve talked to Private Bennett’s widow who was six months pregnant, and he was glad that Katherine and Stephanie had accompanied him from Los Angeles. He would have flown back with them, but Katherine wanted Steve to have some time with his men, and so it was he and four others from the funeral service were at The Woods that evening.

The place was quite a nice corner bar and it was a place Private Bennett had talked about when they were in Afghanistan, so it was a perfect place to go to unwind after the service. First Freddy came in with his crutches while Danny ‘Dim’ held the door open. Steve followed with Chris Silas behind him. Dim stepped in and let the door closed.

With precision their caps came off as they all looked around. “Hot Damn!” Freddy let out in a breath when he saw the woman welcome them. Steve paused for a brief moment as Dim pointed to a corner booth they all could sit at.

“We’ll sit and have a look-see.” Chris said as he started to walk to the table. Steve was lost in a memory as he probably stared too long at the woman. He did catch her name tag and smiled just as Chris spoke which took him back in-country for a brief moment. He was the platoon commander and the guys called him either ‘El-Tee’ or ‘Look-See’ so when he heard Chris say that it was instinct. He looked back but Allison was already walking away to the bar.

Once they all got seated, they chatted for a bit waiting for someone to come take their order.

It hadn't been that long before Allison headed to the table with a pitcher of icewater and a stack of glasses in hand. She looked at Steve the whole time she walked over but broke away to look at the other guys.

"How are you guys doing? Our special is an angus cheeseburger with beer-batter steak fries and chicken-salt ..." she said as she set out the glasses by each guy. As much as they looked, they were complete gentleman though Allison was prepared for a hand or two to come to rest on her somewhere. She then went around the table again, leaning over to fill each glass with water, making sure at least two ice cubes fell into each glass. She poured Steve's glass last and looked into his blue eyes as she finished

"I have to ask... are you Steve Harrison from Oakwood High Class of 2001?" Allison smiled as she knew the answer. She just wanted to hear him say it.

Steve smiled as the other guys paused in their banter. Freddy front-slapped Dim and gave Sarge a smile. Chris smirked and shrugged. Steve looked up to Allison as she stood by him and said,

"Guilty as charged. I was sure it was you Allison when I walked in the door, and the nametag on your boob confirmed it right away." His eyes dropped briefly to look at the nametag... rather the way her top clung to her breasts. "You left school before graduation without a word. How have you been?"

The murmuring between Freddy and Dim could be heard by Chris, Steve, and Allison. "Damn Steve ... Wow!..."

Allison smirked as she set her hand on Steve's shoulder. "Yeah I uh, was a mess... anyway, I took a couple night classes to get my graduation credits. I came by your house sometime after graduation but your dad told me you pissed off to the army." she said as her fingers toyed with Steve's hair and ear. She could see the other guys were enjoying seeing Steve getting teased.

"So... I am working so I should take your orders..." she said as she stepped away from Steve.

"Yes.... I'm sure my guys are hungry..." Steve said as he looked around at them. Dim was first to order, "Yeah we're hungry. I'll have that special with no pickles, a pitcher of your pale ale, and your phone number?" he said in a playful manner.

Allison was probably tired of the come-ons but Freddy too nodded and said, "I'll have the same as Dimmy."

Chris looked to Steve and smirked before he turned to looked up into Allison's dark eyes. "El-tee doesn't say much about home. It's good to meet someone who knows him. Anyway, I'll get the same burger as these clowns and another pitcher of pale, and instead of a phone number, I'll get a large order of onion rings." he said before looking back to Steve and adding. "How about you El-tee? Burgers all around?"

Allison took the guys commentary in stride with a smile. She wouldn't deny flirting a little with them, and she has had a bit if a hard time meeting people with her busy schedule since getting to Vegas, so she was actually entertaining the thought of maybe getting together with these guys sometime later. The trouble was Steve. Had they all been random soldiers, it would have been a lot easier.

As Allison entered their orders on her tablet, she looked to Steve when one of the guys razzed him to order. She giggled and said, "Yes Stevie, should I add one more?"

Sreve looked up at Allison sort of blushing. It was a name she used to use when they were kids. He smiled and reached his hand out and set it on Allison's arm as he answered, "I will have one, also without pickles. And I will have your phone number as I either lost your old one or you changed it."

He watched as Allison entered his order. When she looked back up, she smiled and read back the complete order. Steve then said, "There is another thing you could possibly help us with..."

Having finalized the order with the hitchen, the bell rung at the bar telling her the twp pitchers of pale ale were ready. She looked slyly to Steve as the other guys started murmuring about what Steve was going to ask. Allison straightened up and put her tablet in her aprom pouch.

"Think on that for a bit Steviebabe. I'll be back with your beer." Allison said as she turned to walk away toward the bar. Getting there, she grabbed four glasses two at a time and put them in her apron pouch. She them picked up the two pitchers and strutted back to the table as a few more people came in the front door.

Allison set the pitchers down on the table in front of the two guys who ordered them and she fetched the glasses out of her aorpn. Setting them around in front of the guys, she asked, "So, would you like to pour them or would you lie me to?"

The answer was unanimous as they all wanted Allison to hang around their table longer. She poured a neat four glasses and then as she set the past one in front of Steve, she looked him in the eyes and raised her eyebrows, saying, "So... what was that you wanted to ask me to help you with?"

Steve smiled as he picked up his beer and sipped it. He then said, "I don't drive back to L.A. until tomorrow... um... if you.re not busy maybe we could catch up? I think I owe you a dinner."

He looked over at the guys who were chattrering and checking Allison out. Steve turned and saw the other waitress seat the new arrivals and he knew that Allison would be getting busy shortly. He looked back to Allison and said, "I did seem to have let my manners slip. These are some guys from my unit. The smart-looking one with the wirerim glasses is Danny... we call him 'Dim because he is the best college-educated private in the army." Dim picked up his beer glas and lifted it to Allison and gave her a smile and another lookover before sipping.

He then looked over at Chris and said, "This is Chris, my first sergaent. He has bailed me out of so many jams. Don't know what I woul ddo without him." Chris didn't looked at Allison he just nodded his head.

Steve then looked over at Freddy who was really keen on keeping his eyes on Allison. "This guy with the crutches is Freddy. He stuck his foot where it shouldn't have gone. Before that happened, he was rather good at sticking his foot in his mouth."

Freddy smiled and chuckled. He tried to keep up his happy demeanor even if inside he blames himself for getting his friend Benny killed. "Nice meeting you Allison! It's good to see one of the hotties from Eltee's school daze." he said as he picked up his beer and gave Allison a nod. He then added as the bell went off at the kitchen. "Um, we do need another glass."

Allison let an impish grin slip across her face as Steve wanted to catch up. "Well Stevie, you are in luck. I don't have practice tomorrow so maybe we can figure that out?"
She set her hand on his shoulder and gave him a squeeze before moving to stand behind him, putting a hand on each of his shoulders as Steve introduced his friends at the table.

She eyed each guy and as they were checking her out, she was checking them out. Not a bad looking bunch of men... especially in their dress uniforms! It was sad about Freddy but Allison knew better that to ask. Of the three, it was Chris that intrigued her the most. Maybe because he was the one who seemed to show the least interest in her. Why was she that way? Wanting the one that was the hardest to get? It had been some time since she actually had any fun, and maybe there was some tension inside her that was yearning to get out, making her entertain thoughts of the possible fun she could have with this bunch.

"It is good to meet you guys! Um, I'll go get your burgers.... and I won't forget the extra glass!" She said with a big smile, patting Steve on the shoulders as she walked off to the kitchen.

Getting there, she put a glass in her apron before she worked to get three plates on her left arm and one in hand on her right. The orders were identical except for the onion rings, so getting it right wasn't a problem. She turned and was on her way back when the door opened and a large group of people came in.

Steve seemed to be a bit happy that he would be able to catch up with Allison tomorrow. He looked over at the other guys and raised an eyebrow. Maybe... just maybe.... he tuyrned and watched Allison across the room getting their food.

"What do you think El-Tee, should I ask her what she's doing after work?" Freddy said as he downed a good portion of his beer. He quickly topped it up. "I mean, if you don't mind." he added.

Steve shrugged as he sipped at his beer. "I have no claims so you guys have fun. Just so you all know, she is fire so beware of burns." he said. He decided that after he was done with his burger, he was going to uber back to the hotel and make an early night of it. The day had been a long one, starting with walking up with Katherine and getting ready to fly up from Los Angeles. "I've introduced you, so you take it from there. I'll be heading out after I eat." he told the guys.

Freddy grinned and Dim smiled outright. Chris even raised a corner of his mouth. "That's ok El-Tee... I'll make sure these guys behave themselves." he said as he looked up to see Allison approach with the burgers.

Allison walked up and set the burgers down in front of each guy as she rounded the table. She stopped by Freddy last, reaching in to get the extra glass. "I hope you all enjoy your food." Allison said as she looked over the room. Another large party came in the door and it was obvious they had already been drinking as their voice volumn was louder than it really needed to be. It looked like it was getting busier earlier this evening.

Freddy could see that Allison was distracted so he grabbed the pitcher and filled the extra glass. "This one is Benny's..." he said to her though he dropped his eyes from Allison. The joyful larrakin seemig to slip from him as he thought about his friend.

Steve looked over to him and knew that despite coming across as the fun-loving outward guy with the jokes ready to fire off, Freddy felt guilty for tripping the mine that detonated the IED under Benny. It affected them all to some degree. Steve too it hard as it was his first guy he would lose in the combat zone. He looked up to Allison and said, "Thank you for the burgers and for bringing Benny a glass."

Allison quietly observed Freddy as he seemed to slip away in thought. She let her usual frown take over her face, adding to it some sad eyes as she could tell that they remembered a close friend and comrade.

"No problem Stevie. I have to go take care of some customers but I would like to hear about your friend ... that is if you all wish to tell of him. I'll come back later." she said as she patted Steve on the shoulder. She was soon off to serve the other tables.

Allison didn't have much chance to get back to the guys table except to buzz by and bring them another pitcher. The rush was on adn Allison was running full on for the next couple hours. It would be around 10PM before things slowed to a point she could take a short break.
Coming to the table, Allison asked, "How are you guys doing? Do you want another?"

The din of voices fileld the bar and Steve talked with the guys after he finished eating. Somehow they convinced him to stay for another pitcher of beer, and Steve did tell them of some of his and Allison's school years. Freddy laughed when he said that they did not fuck in high school.

"Maybe you are looking to change that tomorrow eltee?" Freddy said, clearly getting a buzz on.
"Maybe. We'll see." Steve said as he got up from his seat. Allison had been busy and she came up and asked if the guys wanted another pitcher. Steve turned and said to her,

"Put a couple more on the bill and I'll pay the tab. I do have to go though. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow?" Steve said as he looked into her dark eyes. Freddy leaned to Dim and said in what he thought was a whisper, but it could be heard quite well. "Eltee is getting a hardon for the girl he hasn't fucked yet..." Steve blushed when Allison heard that.

Allison caressed Steve's shoulder and smiled as she heard Freddy's comment. If she made it look like she wanted to catch up with Steve, she was doing a good job. She looked over at the other guys and gave Freddy a wink. "So you guys up for another? Your... 'eltee' is buying."

Allison gave Steve a sidelong look and asked him, "So do you still have the same phone number as in high school? I still have it and can text you me number."

Steve pulled his phone out of his pocket. "Yes, same number. How else could I stay in touch with all the girls I dated in high school?" he said with a grin. He had to be careful getting any hope up with Allison. He thought he was close to fucking her so many times only to have the sexy sultry babe personna she presented turn into an unhinged hateful bitch.

He looked over to the guys as his hand came to rest on Allison's hip. He was testing which Allison was there at the moment. "Well, I'm going to take off and crash. Take care of my guys for me ok?" Steve said before giving Allison a quick peck on the cheek and walking toward the door.

"Hey Allison... What do you do after you're done working?" Freddy called out to her in hopes she didn't follow Steve.

Allison patted Steve on the butt as he walked away. She too started to walk away when she heard Freddy's comment. She didn't pause but did put her index finger up to let him know she heard him. She did have to get back to the bar as Dani had been 'gaining experience' pulling beers behind the bar. Their business was mostly the house brewed beer, but there were those who wanted more. Allison had to make a few mixed drinks that were ordered at one of the remaining tables. Dani meanwhile went around collecting glasses and wiping down vacated tables.

When Allison did return to the guys' table she had two pitchers in hand. She refilled the glasses of the three and then sat them down. She looked at Freddy and smiled, "You asked me something ... what do I do after work? I usually go home, have a shower, and go to bed. Why do you ask?" she said to him even as she kept smiling and gave him a flirty wink as she finished talking.

Steve stood outside the bar at the corner checking his Uber app to see how long he needed to wait. He then called Katherine...
"Hey there, just checking that you and Stephanie got home safe."
"Yes, the flight was uneventful. They gave me some hassle turning in your rental car but didn't push it too far. How are you?"
"A bit buzzed from the beers we had, but mostly tired. Kinda wished I came home with you Kath..."
"Steve... we do need to talk about what 'this' is between us. You know we can't publicly come out as a family..."
"Yeah I know Kath..."
"... I guess I'm scared. Scared of what Stephanie will think... scared about how I feel about you..."
"I'll be at your house tomorrow late sometime. We can talk then. My ride is here so I should go."

Steve hung up the phone as he got in his Uber to go to the hotel.

Inside the bar, Freddy was taking point with Allison as Dim and Chris sat back and watched the exchange.
"Well Allison, I guess I was hoping maybe we could go somewhere for a drink or something." Freddy said.

Last edited:
"I would like that." Allison answered Freddy. " We close in an hour and I get off at midnight. If you guys want to hang around at the Night Owl Room down the street I can meet you there."

It had been a while since Allison just took a little time for herself. With no practice in the morning and not needing to be back to work until five the next afternoon, this would be a good time to enjoy herself. Besides, Freddy and Dim are pretty cute, and Chris isn't too bad himself.

Steve go tto the hotel and it wasn't long before he had showered and fell asleep on top of the bed. He woke up around 2AM and realized he had't turned the lights off or plugged his phone in to charge. He wrote a quick text to Katherine after he plugged it in. 'Wishing I was there with you tonight.' He set the phone on the night stand and turned the light off and was soon asleep again.

- - - - - - - -

At Wood's Bar, the place had emptied except for three army soldiers. Two were rather drunk, and one was tipsy but reserved. "We should let Allison finish up here guys." Chris said as he looked over at her cleaning tables with the other waitress.

"Leave the lady a tip now. " Chris added as he dropped a ten on the table. "You guys match it." he added. Dim balked adn Freddy burped. "I could make it an order." Chris added. He then stood and leaned close to Dim... "The lady said she would meet us at the bar down the street. The least yu can do is give her some spending money when she gets there."

"Ok sarge... um, you think she will show?" Freddy said as he dropped a ten on the table. Did was quiet and did the same before they made their way to the door. Freddy was drunk-working his crutches and he called out to Allison as the guys go tto the door. "See you later Allison!" He blew her a kiss and they guys were soon outside.

It didn't take them long to find the Night Owl, and Chris told the guys. "Go easy on drinks. We want to be coherent should Allison show up later."

"Bye guys... I'll be there I promise." Allison said as the soldiers were heading out the door. She followed them closely and said as she stuck her head outside. "I will need to change first... but I'll be there." she added as she gave Freddy a wave.

Letting the door close, she locked it and turned the outside sign off before heading around to collect glasses. Once she came back to the bar with the stack of glassware, she said, "You can go Dani, I'll finish up. You're on the end of a double shift and look beat."
"Aw thanks Allison... you sure?" Dani replied.
"Yeah, go! I'll see you tomorrow night." Allison answered. With that Dani went and collected her things and went out the door. Allison trailed behind to lock the door again.

It was close to an hour before Allison was done with the closing routine and she set the alarm and went out the front door, locking the door before making her way to her car. Once she got in she sat for a moment trying to decide whether she felt like playing with the soldier boys or not. She started her car and went to her apartment which wasn't all that far away.

Once she was home, the urge to stand the guys up was stronger, but decided that she should go. Like she reasoned earlier... she didn't have practice and it had been a while since she had a buzz on. She didn't spend that much time picking something to wear as she had a mesh top and faux leather skirt already out and hanging on the bathroom door. It would do for a night out.

The guys would have been waiting for over an hour when Allison strutted into the Night Owl. She turned a few heads as her heels clicked on the hardwood floor, but her eyes was on a table close to the bar just off to the side where three men in uniform sat. She walked up and put an arm around both Dim's and Freddy's shoulder, first kisssing Dim's cheek, then Freddy's before looking across to Chris giving him a wink.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. I didn't want to show up in my grungy work clothes." Allison said as she moved to sit down at the empty chair at the table. "What are we drinking tonight?" she added as she slung her small purse over the back of the chair.

"There she is! Allison, you look lovely!" Freddy called out as Dim and Chris stood like gentlemen. Dim pulled the empty chair out for her. "What's are you drinking? he asked. Chris sat back down and said, "The first couple are on my tab." He looked Allison over and gave what qualifies as a smile from Chris.

"Maybe you can give us the gos on Steve? We love hearing about eltee." Freddy said as he poured some water for her from the bottle on the table.

"Well, I'll start with a margarita, and this place has the best chips! I'll get an order of those." Allison said as she leaned forward smiling. "I'll have a glass of that cool water too." She looked at Freddy and he was right on to pouring her a glass.

The server came and took her order and any other orders the guys wanted, and Allison sipped her glass of water and giggled slightly. "When you say you want the 'gos' on Steve, you mean in high school right?" she said playfully as she licked the extra moisture off her lips.

Back
Top Bottom