Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[OOC] The Lands of the Demon King (Despair and Desire Campaign)

Morathor

Supernova
Game Thread (Chapter 1)

Rules Thread

Profile Thread

Recruitment Thread

Active Players:
ChrisGabriel
Motoharu

Potential Players:
--N/A--

This will be the OOC thread for the Despair and Desire campgin, The Lands of the Demon King. OOC chatter, planning, character workshopping, and all that can be done here. But the first order of business, as I see it, is: how do we want to handle dice?

There are a couple of options I can see. First, there are websites like hamete, which are designed for just this sort of thing. You set up a server for your group and it records everyone's rolls. Discord might also be an option, though I have less experience with dice rollers. Also, depending on how comfortable everyone is with trusting everyone else, there is the option of just having everyone roll dice on their own--in their homes, or with a website of their choosing--and just reporting the results. What do you all think? Is there anything I'm overlooking?

Last edited:
I trust myself enough to trust others with their dice-ing. Also would agree for the GM to throw the dices for me... (if I get a promise to turn them towards more pleasure and less game ending moment) ;)

But Discord is okay too.

Normally I'd be happy to roll the dice myself, but I've been leaning more towards DM rolls or having apps like hamete roll the dice, in the interest of suspense and a more deliberate, passive-person writing style.

Last edited:
Hm. If I roll the dice, that would make it easier to handle enemies whose abilities might grant advantage or impose disadvantage on your rolls; I could just roll it myself, and let you know when you've discovered a weakness or encountered a resistance. If everyone is comfortable with that, you all can just tell me your actions and I'll make and report the necessary rolls.

Hi everyone, I will probably be joining this game too. I am working on a character sheet for a changing warlock with a Fae patron. I am fine with Morathor’s plan to roll dice for us.

There's my character up! How does she look, any comments or quibbles?
EDIT: Hmm, I'll work on some more characterisation for her. Otherwise complete :)

@Davian_Veq: I'm a little unclear on Flexible Writhing, specifically "If damage twice recover 1 Will." Since this can potentially target multiple enemies, I wanted to be clear if that meant damaging two enemies, or damaging one enemy twice in one turn. Otherwise I think everything works.

Well, TheAnnoyingNoob still needs a profile, and ChrisGabriel's character isn't quite finished. After that we can get started in the RP proper.

We should probably figure out whether we want to start with your characters arriving in the demon's lands, and having to figure out where to go from there, or skip over some of the setup to the point where you've joined forces and are setting out together.

So, I mentioned this in the DMs, but currently your Code of Conduct isn't a valid weakness, because it doesn't really affect the game mechanics; it's more a narrative thing that you would handle through roleplaying. And I mean, there are potentially ways it could come up in combat or puzzle solving, but they would need to be more clearly defined.

I gave you some examples, like "You can't leave a melee group that still has enemies in it" to reflect your devotion to courage, or "If an ally takes at least 2 damage in one turn, you take 1 Will damage" to reflect your sense of responsibility and the burden it can place on you when you can't protect everyone. But if you wanted to have something to show your sense of mercy and not wanting to harm things weaker than you, maybe "You have disadvantage when attacking creatures with a lower Strength than you." You're also welcome to take several of these, and put corresponding boosts to your stats.

'If not kept, lowers Purity or Sanity for the scene' should be enough then.

It is up to the DM (Demon Master) to say if it applyes and which characteristics counts as lower until rest/atonement.

It shouldn't be up to me. Many rules in the code are abstract and subjective, and a lot of them have their own caveats to make sure they're not too inflexible. So any penalties I assign based on them will feel arbitrary, but if it never penalizes you it's not much of a weakness.

That last part touches on kind of a separate issue, which is it's too easy to get around this as a weakness. It compels you to do things you were probably going to do anyway, and forbids you from doing things you probably weren't going to do anyway. In general, a weakness that forbids you from taking certain actions isn't very meaningful, unless I can contrive a scenario where it's very important that you take that action, and that will often feel very forced. I guess I can come up with scenarios where not lying could get you in trouble, but even then the consequences of that would be part of the narrative, not part of the game mechanics. Maybe in a game with more robust social mechanics that could work, but here it kind of doesn't.

A paladin oath is great for roleplaying and can add a lot of good story elements, but as far as a meaningful drawback to serve as a character weakness, it needs to be more specific. And there are a lot of specific weaknesses you could take based on the code of conduct, but the code of conduct as a whole is too big picture and abstract to be a weakness in its own right.

@TheAnnoyingNoob can you confirm you are still making a character? We haven’t heard from you in about a week, though I do see that you still logged in today

I'm gonna go ahead and say that, if we haven't heard from @TheAnnoyingNoob by Friday, I'll assume they've withdrawn. In which case, all active players will have completed their profile sheets, and I'll get the first game post up Friday or Saturday.

Okay! Sorry for the delay as I was hoping to get this out sooner, but the game thread is live! We're going to start with your characters meeting for the first time, so go ahead and give it a look, and post when you're ready!

Just wanting to check in with everyone; it's been a couple of days since the game thread went up, and aside from Motoharu's contribution it's been a little quiet. Are the posts we have so far alright, and enough for folks to work off of?

Right, sorry. The notification email must have gotten buried. I’ll get a post up soon.

Last edited:
@ChrisGabriel are you still interested in this game? We are still waiting from a post from you, but if you can’t post, can you at least let us know?

Where? Ok. I see now.
Nobody told me we started.
Notification must have been lost server side... (I do not get the email for anything, but didn't see the bell or a line active for this...)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom