Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question Finished Roleplays: Where Do They Go?

greybishop

Star
Hey Admins and Mods, gb here. First off, thanks much for running such a great site! I'd had some real fun here in the past year plus.

Second off, my question: where do finished/completed roleplays go? I see an archive, but it seems to only be for Group Roleplays and suchlike.

Reason I ask is that ShadowOfDesire and I just wrapped up a roleplay in the Taboo forum (Hearts of Darkness) that ran for ten months/400 posts and constitutes a full/completed story. Since it had quite a few views as it unfolded (15,000 plus actually,) I suspect other visitors to this site might just want to check it out as well. I have to imagine that putting it someplace easy to find would be a win/win for the site as well as SOD and myself; more folks interested in finished stories could find/read it, and it'd showcase SOD's tremendous talent as well as my ability to ride on her coattails. Otherwise it's just gonna sink to the bottom of the Taboo section as more "works in progress" pile up.

Just a thought and again, thanks for running BMR. Cheers!

As someone with a handful of completed rps, I would like to second this suggestion. Mostly because it feeds my vanity. 😅

... in my pants :p

But honestly? In my civilian opinion I think it might be worth setting up a meta-thread to organize and show off finished roleplays. There are a couple places in the OOC subforums that could work, depending on the direction you wanted to take (curating your RPs in particular vs a community showcase, for example). It'd be fun imo.

Even if there’s actually an archive where players can move finished RPs into, I doubt it’d get all that much traffic to be honest.

Why don’t you create a journal and put the link in there instead. That way, you can also write something about your story, or add your thoughts on it. People can also leave comments if they like and share their thoughts.

But honestly? In my civilian opinion I think it might be worth setting up a meta-thread to organize and show off finished roleplays. There are a couple places in the OOC subforums that could work, depending on the direction you wanted to take (curating your RPs in particular vs a community showcase, for example). It'd be fun imo.

I do like this idea. @greybishop Should we start one up?

Really ought to make a proper forum for these. >_>

@WaveVelour Thanks much for your constructive input! :)

@xanaphia I'm the noob around here, at least compared to you, so if you're down with Wave's idea I'm willing to give it a try and follow your lead. I have to admit I'm not exactly sure what Wave has suggested and am a little puzzled as to how a link in a thread in the OOC forums would serve the purpose I asked about. But I certainly could be missing something here; wouldn't be the first time

@Vekseid Thanks for chiming in on this; I understand this entire site is a labour of love for you, but also realize your time is as scarce as everyone else's. I'm no coder (though gather you are) and also acknowledge Wave and Xana's suggestion just might be the perfect solution. But for a guy like me being able to go into the "Archives" and look at a sub-forum called "Finished Roleplays" holds a certain appeal; I'd clearly know that whatever I started reading actually comes to an end, instead of petering out like a TV show canceled after a season finale cliffhanger. Besides making your site a bit more easy to use/appealing for visitors, I think it'd also encourage regulars to try to finish what they started and also further encourage prolific posters such as Xana and, to a lesser extent, myself.

Xana said it was her "vanity" this idea appealed to, but I suspect what she really meant was the simple human instinct to want to see something you've created (even if it's 'just' characters in a roleplay) and "given birth to" (by actually finishing the roleplay) live on. Kind of like a book on the shelf in a library, or a bookstore. (Remember those?)

Stay safe and have a great weekend! gb

@greybishop

I could start up a thread for completed rps, with a link to each one and a brief description of it. That collection would serve as the first post a d subsequent posts could be used for discussion or comments. I did something similar with my books thread, as you can check out below. Each cover linked to the book in question.

My Books

Even if there’s actually an archive where players can move finished RPs into, I doubt it’d get all that much traffic to be honest.

Why don’t you create a journal and put the link in there instead. That way, you can also write something about your story, or add your thoughts on it. People can also leave comments if they like and share their thoughts.

The idea is as we move them in there we put up a notice congratulating people. They're actually fairly popular over on Elliquiy.

@Veksied I'm not sure how easy doing the above ^^^ would be from a technical perspective, but it sounds perfect to me! Thanks much for considering this.

@xanaphia Wait, what? Your "books" thread? It looks great, but are those books you like, or books you've written? In any event I'm in, but still, enquiring minds want to know! Just lemme know ma'am, either here or via PM. Cheers!

Really ought to make a proper forum for these. >_>

I got a suggestion if its viable to you and the staff. The Roleplay Archives board under Roleplays is just a sub-board for other sub-boards of group roleplays that have gone inactive but are kept in storage. But there is no actual threads in the Roleplay Archives. Could we not just utilize this sub-board for moving completed roleplays to? It's already on the front page so no need to add or create any other sub-boards. We can spruce it up a little, do some sort of shout-out banner as newly completed RPs are moved in. Granted, in the beginning, there will be an influx of many completed roleplays so notices might be drowned in the onrush but going forward, maybe something can be implemented to showcase and bring the spotlight to these achievements?

I got a suggestion if its viable to you and the staff. The Roleplay Archives board under Roleplays is just a sub-board for other sub-boards of group roleplays that have gone inactive but are kept in storage. But there is no actual threads in the Roleplay Archives. Could we not just utilize this sub-board for moving completed roleplays to? It's already on the front page so no need to add or create any other sub-boards. We can spruce it up a little, do some sort of shout-out banner as newly completed RPs are moved in. Granted, in the beginning, there will be an influx of many completed roleplays so notices might be drowned in the onrush but going forward, maybe something can be implemented to showcase and bring the spotlight to these achievements?

Not specifically there, no. It's highly convenient to keep the top level permissions locked down there, and it will open up a can of worms to muck with that.

Fair enough. It was my understanding, probably incorrectly, that permissions wouldn't really be altered since only staff might be able to move threads in there and base level users won't be touching things at all since they are completed roleplays. But now that I think on it, people, including myself, would probably want to add some graphical or other finishing touches to their stories, which would cause that can of worms to burst. Can scratch that idea. Thanks for hearing me out 🙃

Gents: FWIW my thoughts on this, are this: When a RP is done, it's done. I might be tempted to fiddle with it some sure, but I could also certainly understand that when it's "published" and "put on the shelf" by my publisher, I have no standing to want to edit that particular version anymore. So if the best way to manage such a theoretical sub-forum is to lock it down from further editing by everyone except Mods (to include the original creators) that makes sense to me. Cheers!

I am going to go ahead and start up an archive thread in Storytelling, if or until Vekseid gets a chance to get the archive forum up.

How should the RPs be organized? Aphabetical Order by title, by member name, or in order of completion? Or something else I hadn't thought of?

Wait, what? Your "books" thread? It looks great, but are those books you like, or books you've written? In any event I'm in, but still, enquiring minds want to know! Just lemme know ma'am, either here or via PM. Cheers!

I actually turned one of my completed rps into a series of novels. I was working on a second series derived from a another completed rp, before depression kicked my ass and made me stop.

Edit:
Okay, I made the thread! Still not sure I am digging the aesthetics of it, but I will probably fiddle with it for some time. If anyone wants their rp included, feel free to send me a pm with a link and any information they want to include about it. Or they could feel free to make their own post to the thread.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom