Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Multiple Characters

Sara.Sweet

Super-Earth
Hi there,​
I am Sara, being active on Bluemoon for some time now. I am interested to know how many people here are interested in Multiple characters role-play? I am looking to do a plot with a selection of key characters and other dormant characters which can be activated on the need bases. Just to build a small community with a major story line. It seems like either the plot is not interesting or people are not keen on playing multi-characters. It is my first time attempting such an elaborate play, so any feedbacks and suggestions are welcome.​

Edit: Thank you so much for the feedbacks given below, it is helping me to improve my writing and weeding out problems.

Last edited:
The way you have it set up is not really multi-character or even role-playing the way it is normally seen. In your opening scene you write dialogue for both Zoe and Mindy, so, it rather looks like you don't want someone to play Mindy's role but instead want to tell a story together with someone where you both control things in bits and pieces. If you actually want to appeal to role-players, as in someone to directly play Mindy for you, you need to make that clear. Because right now, it doesn't feel that way. People tend to get really possessive over their character or "role". They don't want you writing dialogue for them or controlling things they do. So, that could be what is turning folks off.

If you do want mutual storytelling and not individuals playing specific roles, you need to make that clear. Because framing it as (MC) and (YC) is deceiving.

The way you have it set up is not really multi-character or even role-playing the way it is normally seen. In your opening scene you write dialogue for both Zoe and Mindy, so, it rather looks like you don't want someone to play Mindy's role but instead want to tell a story together with someone where you both control things in bits and pieces. If you actually want to appeal to role-players, as in someone to directly play Mindy for you, you need to make that clear. Because right now, it doesn't feel that way. People tend to get really possessive over their character or "role". They don't want you writing dialogue for them or controlling things they do. So, that could be what is turning folks off.

If you do want mutual storytelling and not individuals playing specific roles, you need to make that clear. Because framing it as (MC) and (YC) is deceiving.

Ah, thank you so much for your feedback, I'll check that, maybe deleting my opening scene from request all together, I just wanted to write a good opening, not stepping on anyone's shoes, my bad in this case :)

As The Goodman explained, most RPers want things to be cooperative, not collaborative. A collaborative RP is awkward and a hit or miss for most people because they can't develop things independently without stepping on your own ideas and plans that you have for specific characters. On the other hand, a cooperative RP respects the boundaries of each partner, and although slower, it feels a lot more satisfying, in my opinion.

Another thing I noticed was the use of repetitive words, and this is something that I particularly catch in order to decide if somebody is actually capable of writing multiple characters.

I am looking to do a plot with each player playing multiple roles, but not everyone will be active all the time, but I want to build a small community around the plot, but seems like either the plot is not interesting or people are not keen on playing multi-characters.

If I read this and saw that you were looking for multiple characters, I wouldn't be willing to head in that direction with you. Using multiple characters at the same time requires a lot of attention to detail to not make each character seem as if they are a clone of one another. If somebody's lexicon is numerous enough to describe the same thing but in different context and detail, then they're usually a good candidate for multiple characters. The overuse of one word in one sentence can be very boring. There are also circumstances in which you can make very choppy and awkward sentence structures and blunt misspellings. Improving these things can prove to your partner in the future that you can do this not just for one character, but more than just one.

This is at least, what I'm looking at when I discuss things with my partner.

Thank you, appreciated. English is not my native language so mistakes happen, correcting :)

Back
Top Bottom