Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Letters to a Soldier (Traveler x romancerper)

Halfway in, and Friday, June 19th, 2020 would always be a day burned in Nathan’s memory. They were doing short live runs; simple take offs and hover in place for 60 seconds, then bank right and raise to 100’, turn right again, and return to the landing pad, where the pilot had to hover for another 60 seconds before touching down. They would do the right side, then the left. Each person did two runs each before handing over the cold copter to the next pilot. Every time the machine switched hands it was shut down completely, and the next pilot started it cold.

But something had gone wrong when the young pilot they’d called ‘Jersey City’ got in. He was one of the best on the simulator – he’d logged hundreds of hours of his own time prior to training, and had been one of the aces when it came to the paper tests. He had promise. His family was a huge, Italian clan with six generations still living in the same town, and he had a fiancée and a child waiting for him at home. But something went wrong, and Nate still couldn’t figure it out. The kid had done this exercise several times before, and aside from a few wobbly hovers, had done pretty well…until today. The memory of the craft banking left and then continuing, not righting as he ascended, still replayed in Nate’s mind. It looked like he just dove into the asphalt instead of taking off.

Thankfully both men in the aircraft were alive. Alive, but injured. Thankfully the plane didn’t catch on fire and there were many first responders waiting on the side, but it might derail Jersey City from his plans; it certainly meant he had to do Phase 2 training again, if everything checked out and it was declared a mechanical issue and not pilot error.

Nate debated over whether or not he would tell Irene. She was doing better now – thank God the test came back negative, but she was still in recovery. He had been next in the queue to fly that craft. If it was mechanical, it could have been any of them in the pilot’s seat.

That Sunday he felt restless as he waited for ‘their’ time to call. It wasn’t a nervousness so much as a looking-forward-to. Though he still sent her little letters each week, some with stories of classes, some with interesting clips of news he saw, and a few with short thoughts that crossed his mind. He carried the notebook with him throughout the day and sent what he had accumulated on Wednesdays at lunch, so it would get to her by Saturday. He was a man of routine, if nothing else.

So when the eleven rolled round he sat down at his desk and sipped an iced tea as he swiped his phone to Irene’s picture and pressed the green phone symbol, then rested his cheek against the surface as it began to ring.

Irene had just finished putting the lid on top of her slow cooker when her phone vibrated to life on the counter beside her. Seeing Nate's face on the screen--she had added his photo in once she had moved back into her own home--she wiped off her hands on a dish rag and picked it up, a smile instantly spreading across her lips. "Hey. How are you?"

Sundays had easily become her favorite day of the week; although, Saturdays were a close second. She loved hearing from Nate in the written form, loved responding to him, but she found she enjoyed their conversations over the phone more. It was easier to communicate, and despite the fact he was a great writer, Irene couldn't deny that she liked the sound of his voice. It conveyed his emotions and words in a way that gave her a different level of understanding than the written word ever could.

"Hey Irene - I'm 200% better." He smiled at the wall as he talked to her. His eyes focused somewhere between three feet ahead and eternity. "So, I'm halfway through this phase of training and I thought I'd celebrate, so I'm drinking some tea and doing my favorite thing on a Sunday morning. What are you up to?"

He took a sip as he listened. It wasn't always what she said, but how she said it that made his day. Though her words were important and he hid away little tidbits of information as they talked, he listened more to her tone. Her pauses and her pace told him whether or not she was feeling something deeply or excited, or if she wanted to move to a different topic because it was starting to get to her. He thought that sometimes the sound of her breath as she sighed or drew in conveyed just as much as well. If he could see her it would be even better.

When there was a slight pause in her conversation he asked, "What kind of phone do you have? I have an Android...there's this little option where we could video chat, if you want." If she had an iPhone it wouldn't work, but he'd tried it once with Pops and despite the fact that Pops kept the phone on his ear the whole time, showing Nate nothing but his chin, it worked fine.

"Nothing too much. Just some stuff around the house that needed to get done. Prepared dinner for later, and I have a load of laundry in the dryer." Irene turned to lean back against the counter, her left arm supporting the right at the elbow. "I woke up earlier today, and I was feeling productive. So things are getting done." With the drains out and the pain mostly gone now, it was much easier for her to move around as well as do some of the menial tasks she used to do without getting tired as quickly. Sometimes, she still got some phantom pain, which she had done some research into; she honestly hadn't even known it was possible with a mastectomy, but apparently, it could occur for the same reasons it did in those who had lost a limb.

She was about to ask Nate how his training went this week, since his letter had only mentioned the first few days of the week--it seemed he always sent them to her on Wednesdays so they would be by her on Saturday--when he used the slight break in conversation to ask if she would be able to move this call into a video chat.

"Unfortunately, I do have an iPhone. But I do know of an app that would allow us to move to video, if you'd be willing to download it." Irene glanced down at her outfit, remembering that she wasn't exactly all that dressed up. She was wearing the t-shirt he had sent her and a pair of sweat shorts, and she hadn't even bothered to fix the sorry state that was her hair. Somehow, even in a ponytail, it managed to fall a bit out of place while she slept.

"Just a fair warning, though, I don't look as done-up as I did in that photo I sent you," she chuckled, only a bit serious about actually giving him a heads up. Her tone had been light, teasing. After all, she was home alone on a Sunday, cleaning.

"Of course - let me know what it is and I'll download as we talk." He switched the phone to speaker and began to search for the app. Then she warned him about not being done-up and he laughed. "Irene, I want to see you, not your make-up." He switched the app on once it installed.

"So...things are getting done. That sounds delightfully," he laughed, "vague." He entered his username and logged on. "You doing okay? Something in your voice is a little different today...is everything going okay with your healing? Family doing alright?" They had an option to find friends using their phone number, so he dialed in hers and waited for the notification to pop up on her app - and invitation from 'Nathan_A_Davis'.

"Alright, I'm online," he walked over to the window where the light was better, and listened to her as she answered him, and hopefully, accepted his invitation to video chat.

Irene told him about the app, one that Molly had used when she lived oversees for a couple of months. She had never used the application except for when she wished to speak with her friend, as the phone could use WiFi instead of data when it was in a different country. It was still downloaded on her phone, so she told Nate about it.

At his questions, Irene let out a sigh, moving away from the counter and grabbing a few of the spices that were still left out with one hand. "Everything's fine. The doctor says my incision is healing pretty well. I'll have some scarring, but nothing major." Of course, being the one with the ugly, puckered surgical site, she didn't necessarily agree with it being minor, but she was trying to focus on the fact it hadn't been worse than what they had initially thought. "My family is doing well. Ben and Blake are home, so they've been visiting me occasionally..." There was a hesitation on her end; she wasn't sure she should be talking to Tom's friend about their relationship, but at this point, Nate was definitely a close friend of hers, so..."It's Tom. Something in his most recent letter is kind of bothering me."

She was closing the lazy Susan when she heard the light ding in the background of her call, a notification from her phone. "One second," she said to him, bringing the device from her ear to look at the screen. Seeing his request, she opened the application and accepted; Irene.Halstead would now show up as online in his list of contacts.

Irene moved out onto the deck, knowing the sun would provide enough light. It was as she closed the sliding door behind her that she felt her phone begin to vibrate, indicating that she was getting a video call. She answered it as she was still heading over to one of the patio chairs, giving Nate a smile while lowering herself into the seat. "Hey, again."

The phone app rang and then it was connecting, and she smiled at him in a way that brought the happiness in that picture of his to life. "Hey," he smiled back, making sure that the phone was aimed at his face. The light from his window was causing a slight glare so he moved away slightly and studied her face. "Wow..." his eyes moved over her face and couldn't decide if it wanted to look at the smile or her eyes, now that he could see them clearly.

He couldn't figure out if they were green, grey, or blue, or sometimes all three. He'd have to figure that one out someday.

But it would be weird to just stare at her, and she was going to tell him something. "You said that something in Tom's letter was bothering you?" He leaned against the wall as he stood by the light. He took a sip of tea and watched her and the world she lived in. He could see a bit of her neighborhood and that the sun was still shining. The sounds of birds nearby gave her scene a magical quality to it. It was like she lived in the middle of Americana.

"So, just so we're clear. Nothing you say to me will get back to him or anyone else." He pressed his lips together in a soft smile, "Especially not to your mother," he grinned.

She chuckled softly, not at all knowing how to respond to his reaction at seeing her through the camera. How did one act after someone else took one look at them and said "wow"? Especially when it was someone as handsome as Nate was. She had thought he was pretty good looking from his picture, but he hadn't been looking at her then. And the way he was gazing at her now...

Irene glanced down a moment, hoping that the heat she was feeling in her cheeks wasn't presenting itself as a blush for him to see. "Well, I wasn't expecting that reaction," she joked lightly, eyes moving to his face once more. He was still staring, but in that same moment, he seemed to realize that he was, bringing the subject back to Tom's letter.

Crossing her legs, she sat back in the metal seat, phone coming with her so they were still able to see one another as they had when they started the call. His comment about not telling her mom made her grin widen, revealing her front teeth. "I trust you, Nate. Besides, you'd have to go through a lot of work to reach my mother, considering you don't have her number."

"Well," she let out a breath, smile faltering a moment as her eyebrows pinched together, "I didn't tell you this, but in the first letter Tom wrote to me, he told me that he didn't think he was ready for marriage, which was a bit disappointing, but he wanted to see the world still. I figured, when he returned, we'd occasionally travel. I couldn't quit my job; it's my dream, but I wanted to be supportive of his. We could always get married later. If I waited this long, I could always wait a little longer, and he did say he couldn't picture having anyone else as his wife."

"When I told him about the cancer, he said he'd come home, take family leave." Irene remembered how difficult it was to tell him to stay when the selfish part of her really wanted him by her side. "I pointed out that he couldn't. We weren't family. And just like that, Tom changed his mind. He said he'd get the paperwork ready and send it to me..." She shook her head. "He was only doing it because he felt like he should. He didn't want to." At this point, her smile had completely vanished from her face, a deep frown replacing it. "In his recent letter, he told me that he was taking the LSAT, and while I completely support him in that endeavor, he was going on about moving away to the city and being a power couple."

As Irene began to relate what was on her mind Nathan’s expression softened, then grew concerned. He watched her carefully as she spoke, taking in every sigh, ever flutter of her smile and minute movement of her brows. The body told him almost as much as her words, and in some way, more. There was a lot to take in – a journey of emotions that she had traversed alone ever since the first letter from Tom, several months ago. It must have been a long, lonely trek, especially considering she was in the midst of her cancer battle at the time.

Once she had gotten through the bulk and it seemed like the majority of her concerns were shared, Nate drew a breath. “That’s…a lot.” He ran a hand through his short hair and looked at her. “Let me make sure I understand what I’ve heard – okay?”

“So, a few months ago Tom didn’t want to get married. He wanted to travel? – and he thought that getting married would keep that from happening, but it sounds like you were willing to take a little time off work and go on a few trips, just not all the time. So far am I on the right track?” He waited for a sign of confirmation from her before continuing.

“Then you told him about your cancer, and he offered to come home on family leave. You reminded him he wasn’t technically ‘family’, so he suggested getting married so he could come back and be with you…” he frowned at the implication of the misuse of Departmental benefits, but he could understand Tom’s motivation. Or at least, his interpretation of Tom’s motivation.

“And then it sounds like Tom’s changed his career goals, which is okay,” he added, “but he also wants you to move to the city with him and be this power couple, which…doesn’t sound at all like the picture you painted of your ideal life.” He pressed his lips together and frowned. “So far is that accurate?”

He took another sip and set his cup down. “Ah…Irene. I’m sorry you’re going through this.” He shook his head as he looked at her and wondered how she had been able to carry that burden alone these last few months. “Do you, ah…just need me to be an ear to listen, or do you want me to interject my opinion. Keep in mind that I’m biased, so…” he smiled softly at her, “but I wouldn’t weigh my personal opinion above what would be best for you and make you happy.”

Back
Top Bottom