Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Letters to a Soldier (Traveler x romancerper)

romancerper

Planetoid
Irene couldn’t remember the last time she had written a personal letter, one that was meant to be read by someone she cared about rather than an admissions officer or potential employer. It must have been when she was still a child; although, she wasn’t certain Santa counted as someone important to her or, rather, asimportant as Tom was to her now. He was her fiance, the man she was supposed to spend the rest of her life with, and she had already spent the last five, almost six, years with him. They knew everything about one another, and she felt like she could talk to him about anything and everything.

So why was she still staring at a blank page?

This had been her third attempt at sitting down and writing this out. She didn’t have much time, considering the care package was leaving this afternoon, and she had already put this off a few times. It wasn’t that she didn’t know what she had to say or wanted to say; she just didn’t know how to put it into words. A simple “I’m sorry” didn’t seem right, especially when a part of her still was pretty upset and not truly apologetic at all. Still, Tom would be gone for a long time, and she hadn’t meant for things to leave off on a sour note.

She tapped the end of the pencil against her desk, letting out a heavy sigh, the repetitive sound starting to get on her own nerves, despite being the cause of it.

Dear Tom,

Two words at the top of the loose leaf paper. It was all she had managed. That and the date in the right hand corner.

Perhaps she could start with asking how he was. That seemed logical enough.

How are you? Have you settled in?

A part of her wondered if he would even answer her. They hadn’t done anything like this with his first tour, and Tom wasn’t the type to write love notes--not that this letter was supposed to be romantic in any shape or form. Most of it was intended to be an apology of some kind with some fluff around it, the typical conversation and questions any person may have for a loved one stationed overseas.

I hope this letter and care package find you well. Everyone here is thinking about you, and it was Dad that suggested the town come together and do this. We hope you and your unit find use for the items we sent, and there’s a little bag in there with some extra things that I put together for you. Some of your favorite snacks that you can share with your bunkmates and a few pictures. If you want me to send something else, let me know.

Now that she had started it, she found it easier to get out the important bits.

Perhaps you can consider it a peace offering? I’m sorry about how things were the last couple of weeks, and I regret not putting our differences aside and just enjoying our time together before you left. But I want to be honest with you. I know how important this is to you, and I’ll support you every step of the way from now on. I was just...scared, with everything going on. And I selfishly wanted you here for my own comfort. I understand that this is what you want to do, and I’d have a problem with you telling me not to go after my own goals. I don’t blame you for getting upset with me, and I apologize for not trying to see your point of view earlier.

But can you see mine? I don’t know if there’s anything to be worried about. I still have to go see the doctor one more time, just for some tests. Hopefully, I’ll know what I’m dealing with by the end of the month. I just...miss you a lot. I know I have our families, but I haven’t said anything to them yet. I don’t want to until I know for sure.

Anyway, I’m not expecting this to be a continuous thing. Just one reply to tell me that you’re doing okay is enough. I know you must be busy.

I love you, and I’m thinking about you.

Stay safe.

Irene

Irene placed the pen down, her fingers moving to lift the papers into her hand. Her writing was large in size, and the sheets were thin; it made sense to forgo the back of the first page and just start a new one, even if it only went a line over. Her brown eyes scanned the sentences she wrote, not so much worried about any grammatical errors; her concern was in what she said and how Tom might interpret it. Her lips moved as she whispered the word she had written, and when she finished, she didn’t have anything that she really thought she should change. The letter conveyed what she should have said in person.

It was as she sealed the envelope that her phone began to vibrate, an image of her mother showing up on the screen. Taking a moment to finish the task at hand, Irene let it ring a few more times before picking it up. “Hey. I’m just about to leave. What’s up?”

“Did you tape the package closed yet?” came her mother’s voice, a bit frantic.

“No. Why?” she asked, moving to get up from her chair and tucking it under her desk.

“I was going through some pictures with Lilly, and we found a few that we want you to add to it for Tom.” She said, relief evident in her tone. “But you’ll see when you get here. I’ll let you go. Oh! And don’t forget those wedding venue brochures.”

“I have them in my purse. I’ll see you in five minutes, okay?” A fond smile crossed Irene’s lips as she grabbed her beige bag from the end of her bed. She was 26-years-old, and her mother still treated her like she was a child sometimes.

“Okay, Sweetie. We’ll see you. Bye.”

“Bye.”

The line went dead as Irene went back over to her desk, lifting the envelope she had addressed to Tom. She wanted to put it in the box before she forgot, and as she lifted it from the surface, her eyes caught on the calendar she kept above her work space. It felt as if a knot had suddenly formed in her stomach as she gazed at the red ink that inhabited this coming Friday’s square. The doctor’s appointment. One she was really hoping not to go to without her fiance to assure her.

But she supposed life didn’t always work out the way you wanted or expected.

“Well fuck.”

The young captain ran a hand through his short, blond hair and set the letter on his cot. The day had begun hours before sunrise, with a hectic camp set up and already two briefings, and his empty stomach was protesting audibly.

“What’s the matter, GQ? You get a ‘dear John’ letter?” Nathanial Davis twisted open an water bottle and chugged it, trying to compensate for the sweat that had saturated his clothing from their strenuous morning. He still wasn’t used to the arid environment they were in, being a Georgia native and not a huge fan of deserts. He was still getting used to having sand everywhere, and the last time he’d had a good steak and cold beer seemed a lifetime ago.

Tom drew in a deep breath. “The opposite. Remember Irene?”

“Yeah, your fiancée.”

“Something like that.” He glanced over at the letter and shook his head. “We’re on shaky ground and I’m not sure that, well –“ he paused. “We’re going in different directions in life. She wanted me to leave the Army and settle down. I want to. Eventually. Not right now.”

The box of goodies sat next to him, still untouched.

“Hmm.” Nate swooped in and snatched up the letter, glancing over it and noticing the large, consistent lettering.

“Hey!” Tom made a move to grab it back, but Nate put a hand on his chest like a big brother.

“Don’t worry, you’ll get it back.” He glanced over at his friend and grinned. “You do want it back, don’t you?”

“Of course I do!”

“She says here that she sent some treats for you to share.” His winked. “She likes sharing.”

“Shut the fuck up, Nate.” But he stopped pursuing the letter and turned to the box, pulling out thoughtful packages of sunblock, candy bars, mints, socks, flip-flops, nuts, lip balm, deodorant, soap, foot powder, baby wipes, and underwear. He paused at the baby wipes. Was that just being considerate, or was there a hidden message there? A special package marked “Tom” was wrapped up separately. He decided he’d check that one out later. He noticed the photos stuck in among the other things and began to flip through them, wondering if it would have been better to have just ended it before he left.

Part of him felt guilt, though. She was going in for tests, but he thought that she was always going in for tests. She had a bit of hypochondria to her, but then he supposed that it was why she was pursuing a career in the medical field.

“What’s this mean?” Nate began to read out loud:

I don’t know if there’s anything to be worried about. I still have to go see the doctor one more time, just for some tests. Hopefully, I’ll know what I’m dealing with by the end of the month.

“Is she sick?”

“Oh, no, uh…” Tom already felt like an ass for their fight before he shipped out. He didn’t want to seem like one in front of the guy who was supposed to be watching his back. “She, uh, she’s studying medical shit, so she’s got tests to take to see, you know, to see if she’s going to go on. In that field.” That wasn’t exactly lying, right?

But the tests could show that she wasn’t going to go on…in life.
He had an aunt who died of cancer. It took her quick, and it wasn’t kind, either. He thought of how much misery she had endured, and though he could lead men into enemy territory he didn’t know if he could sit next to Irene, sunny, optimistic, love-of-his-life Irene, and hold her hand while she suffered. Not many people would have considered the high school and college athlete a cowardly kind of guy, but in this instance he knew he was acting every bit the part.

“That makes sense, I suppose.” Nate folded the letter and dropped it back on Tom’s bed. “So. Are you gonna write that girl back?”

“I don’t know.”

“You know.”

“Why don’t you send her something, like a ‘thank you’ from the unit. Tell her I’m busy, or I was on a mission.” He shrugged and tossed the letter on Nate’s cot, near his. “You do it all the time.”

Nate scoffed. “Wuss.”

“Whatever, man.” Tom looked down at the box and then waved a hand in its direction. “And spread the love around to the unit, would you?” He grabbed his helmet and wrapped a black and white shemagh around his neck to use later, when the wind picked up.

“She’ll be glad to see that you’re sharing.” Nate shook his head and then noticed the pictures. He leafed through them, trying to figure out who Irene-the-fiancée was. After seeing the same beaming smile and warm eyes in several he thought he had a good guess.

Better now than never, he thought. There were no guarantees in life, and certainly not in a war zone. He peeled his uniform off his torso, leaving only a t-shirt tucked into his DBDUs, Desert Battle Dress Uniform, and set himself down to write.

What did someone say to a woman who was obviously distressed? She sounded like she thought she was going to lose him, and, Nate thought, maybe she’s right.

Dear Irene,

My name is Nathanial Davis, and I’m a good friend of Tom’s.

He paused. Would she care what his rank was? Probably not. He didn’t want her to think that this was a ‘your loved one has died letter’, so he quickly moved on.

He’s doing well and sends his regards. Unfortunately, his duties are keeping him from having time to write back, but he insisted—

Okay, that was a lie, but maybe it would make her feel better.

--that I write back on his behalf and thank you for the thoughtful care package. The items in it will be very appreciated by our unit. It means a lot to know that our loved ones back at home are thinking of us. You’re the reason we’re here. I wish I could tell you where ‘here’ was, but even we’re not so sure.

Tom tells me that you’re studying to work in the medical field, and that you’ll be taking some kind of exam soon to see if you can go on. I wish you the best of luck – hopefully, with him not distracting you from your studies you’ll be able to pass that test easily. He’s also told me that your families are very close, and I gathered that you are on the fast-track to a blissful life as man and wife. Congratulations! That is the kind of thing that gives us something to look forward to.

He tapped the pen against his bottom lip as he tried to think of something to say. How much could he reveal without letting her know that he read her letter? With a slight frown he bent his head back to the task, trying hard not to be too flippant in his reply.

Feel free to write back if you’d like, and I’ll try to keep you updated on the goings on with our unit. As much as I can, without telling you too much. If you don’t hear from Tom, don’t take it too personally. Some of the men are so stressed and busy that they can’t focus enough to sit down and write.

I wish you all the best in your tests. I suppose you’ve already gotten your grades by now. According to Tom, you’re a smart cookie, so I hope it’s an “A”.

Best wishes,

SSgt. Nathanial Davis, USArmy

It was nearly midnight when Irene finally walked through the front door of her one-bedroom bungalow. She tossed the stack of mail she had grabbed on her way in onto the small bench that inhabited the entryway. Barely able to keep her eyes open, she unclipped her badge from the collar of her lab coat before adding it to the stack of envelopes. Then, she stripped at the door, not wanting to take any chances; working in a PICU meant going in and out of isolation rooms, and she didn’t want to risk contaminating her clean home. A small hamper was kept by the front door for this exact reason.

She then made her way towards the back of the house, knowing the landscape of it well enough to avoid bumping into anything. The bathroom light was blinding when she intentionally turned it on with her elbow, so she blinked through washing her hands, not bothering to dry them before turning on the shower.

Her bed felt so good when she finally crawled into it about an hour later, her body relaxing into a plush mattress and cool sheets. Clean and no longer starving, she was able to fall asleep relatively quick, forgetting about the mail until the next morning.

It was at the breakfast table, nearly eight o’clock the following day, with a cup of warm tea in her hand that she went through the envelopes. They were separated into piles as she filed through them. Most of it was junk or bills. There was only one letter that truly caught her eye, and that was the one addressed to her in handwriting she didn’t recognize. Curious, she didn’t bother putting it aside and opened it right away.

It took her a couple minutes to read, and double that to let it actually sink in that Tom had his friend write a response to her. The sender--Nathaniel--asked her not to take it personally, but it was a bit hard not to, all things considered. Now, more than ever, she needed her fiancé, and while she understood that his job was a demanding one, she didn’t think a short note that consisted even of a sentence would have been too much to hope for. That could take five minutes, and then he could have gotten his friend to write out the address and send it.

Still, this wasn’t Nathaniel’s problem or fault, and Irene appreciated the reply, even if it wasn’t from the man she wanted it to be from. But she wasn’t certain what she should do next. It wasn’t clear--though, she hoped he hadn’t--if Tom had told him that she was getting evaluated for breast cancer. She also wasn’t too sure if he had read the letter that she had sent Tom. And the test? That didn’t make sense to her. She was in her residency; a test to decide if she would continue in her career wouldn’t take place at this time. So what was Nathaniel talking about?

Irene read through the page of text again, trying to discern just what information Tom had given Nathaniel and why, but she couldn’t, for the life of her, figure out why her boyfriend had lied about that. He knew very well what she was currently doing, and it was common knowledge to most people they knew.

Now, she had to decide if she should reply or not. And if she should send another letter to Tom. It seemed a bit surreal, the last few days, like part of her life was not her own. The oncologist had called to inform her that the results of her biopsies had come back this past Monday, and she did, indeed, have cancer in both breasts. Some more imaging would have to be done as well as blood work to help properly stage the disease before treatment options could be discussed. Decisions would have to be made.

She really wanted to talk to Tom.

Their families still didn’t know; Irene was still coming to terms with the diagnosis herself, and Tom was the only one aware that the potential for this problem had existed. She told him everything, and while this was her body and diagnosis, there were some things that Irene thought should be discussed with him. This would greatly impact their future, and his input was valuable to her.

But she didn’t trust that Nathaniel hadn’t read her letter, and despite being told not to take it personally, she was a bit upset with Tom for not attempting to at least write something in regards to her apology.

Torn on what to do, she decided to give herself a few days to think on it before taking action, so the opened envelope sat on the kitchen table until the week was nearly over. Sunday evening, she told her friend about everything that had been happening with her and Tom since he had announced that he would be going on another tour. Normally, she liked to keep her relationship private, but she trusted Jenna not to spread around anything like most people in a small, southern town did. Jenna was a psychologist by profession, and they were generally good about keeping things confidential; she was that way with her clients and friends.

The only thing Irene skirted around was the fact she had breast cancer; she couldn’t bring herself to talk about it with anyone just yet.

“Well, I do think you should write a response,” Jenna advised over the phone. “Even if Tom had insisted, Nathaniel did take some time out of his busy schedule to write you a letter as well as offer to keep you updated, should you want to be.”

“I hadn’t considered that,” Irene said honestly before taking a sip of beer. She had been sitting in her living room, bent over an old textbook of hers, taking notes for the past hour on laryngitis, something she had encountered for the first time during her last shift. Not five minutes in and Jenna gave her a call after seeing her text. “But what would I even write him about?”

“I don’t know...but, considering how much of a workaholic you can be sometimes, it might be good for you to keep a pen pal.”

“I’m sure Sergeant Davis has nothing more important to do than write back his friend’s girlfriend.” Her tone was heavy with sarcasm.

A heavy sigh resounded through the line followed by, “He did offer. What’s the harm in taking a few minutes out of your day to do something that is just a little out of the ordinary? You might actually find it relaxing to do something a bit different.”

Irene wanted to argue that much of her life at this moment was out of the ordinary, but that would open up a whole different can of worms. Instead, she placed her empty beer bottle on the coffee table in front of her and closed the textbook in her lap. “I suppose the least I could do is thank him for the letter.” She smiled as she got to her feet. “Thanks, Jen.”

“No problem! You always take the time to listen to me and offer sound advice. I think, as a psychologist and a friend, I could do the same for you.”

“I know you hate working outside the office,” Irene joked lightly, despite her words being fact. Jenna liked to keep her work at work. “And for free, no less.”

“Oh, hush. Get to writing that reply. I’ll see you...Thursday? Is that what we changed it to?”

“Thursday,” Irene confirmed, making her way into the kitchen and opening a drawer to search for some paper she could use. “Molly couldn’t make it Wednesday.”

“But won’t you be tired after work?”

“I’ll be fine.”

“If you insist. I’ve got to get ready for bed. Beck likes to wake me up at the crack of butthole.”

Irene could hear Jenna’s husband protesting in the background, stating that it was his boss’ fault and making both women laugh.

“Alright, you two. Have a good night.”

“You too, Irene.”

She hung up the phone, the grin stretching her lips lingering for a moment as she placed the device down on the kitchen table. The envelope she had opened a few days ago remained where she had left it, untouched. Irene figured she would have to read the letter again, only remembering the gist of what Nathaniel wrote rather than the actual words. A glance at the clock on the stove told her that she didn’t have much time, if she wanted a good night’s rest. Tomorrow she would have a twenty-four hour shift, twelve hours of actual work and then on-call for the rest.

But she had put this off long enough, and she was determined to send her response on her way out, come tomorrow morning.

After reading through it once more, Irene set herself to the task, gathering her dark auburn hair in one hand and placing it in a high ponytail, out of her way. She started with dating the top of the first page and followed with:

Dear Nathaniel,

I got your letter the other day but was unable to reply until this evening. Work has been keeping me busy, as I’m sure it has been keeping you and Tom.

Not a complete lie. Even if she had come to the decision to write to him sooner, she wouldn’t have had the time until today.

I want to thank you for taking the time out of your day to reply, and I am glad that the care package made it to you all. We tried our best to think of what you would need, going on past experience while also doing a few Google searches. If any of you find you want or need something else, let us know. We’d be happy to send some more items. It’s the least we can do, considering the sacrifices you make to keep us free and safe.

As for the exam--

Irene paused. Should she be honest and correct what Tom had told him? She still wasn’t sure why he had said she was taking an exam soon; she had a year and a half left of her residency before she could take her boards and certify. However, Irene wasn’t the best at lying. She never had been; in fact, most people who knew her could see right through her. But perhaps it was different on paper? Maybe because he couldn’t see her, he wouldn’t know?

Tom must have had a good reason for not telling the truth…

--I did pass, so thank you for wishing me luck. I’m currently a resident at a local hospital, but passing this exam means I can continue in my specialty.

There was no such thing, but hopefully, Nathaniel didn’t know much about the medical field.

And thank you for the congratulations! I am looking forward to it as well, and I’m sure he’d want all of you there. Our families throw big weddings, so it should be quite a party.

They weren’t officially engaged. There was no ring or proposal, but it was sort of assumed by their families--and to some degree, she thought so, too--that she and Tom would settle down once he returned from this tour. Hence, the wedding planning that happened almost every visit with her mother. It left a bit of a bad taste in her mouth, considering Tom hadn’t really said anything about it being set in stone; he had only talked about getting married and having kids “in the future”.

To be honest, I wasn’t sure if I should write back. If you guys are busy, I’d prefer you keeping your focus on your work, staying safe and using whatever little free time you have to relax, if possible. However, if you do have a moment just to update me on how you all are, that would help me sleep a bit better at night. I know I speak for more than just myself when I say that any sort of updates are appreciated, even if it’s just a sentence I can pass along.

I am a bit curious, though. Tom has never mentioned you before. Did you guys meet on this tour?

Anyways, I’d like to thank you again for writing me back. I would have been worried sick, not knowing if the care package arrived okay or if Tom had gotten my letter. I can now tell our families that I know for certain that your unit got what we had sent and also assure them that you are all alive and well. I appreciate it.

For a moment, she thought of asking Nathaniel to relay a message to Tom, but then she realized that might be a bit uncomfortable for Nathaniel. He had already done a lot for her by writing back. So, instead of thinking of what to have him tell her boyfriend, she thought of how to sign it for a few minutes before settling on an honest wish she had for all of the men and women stationed out there.

Stay safe.

Irene

“Call it in, Davis. Those are the insurgents Delta told us about.” Tom was leaning next to his sergeant, peering through the scope at the window. The city below had been largely emptied by the last few weeks of fighting. Anyone remaining was either desperate or an enemy, or both.

Nathanial looked at the map again, then began counting buildings. “Not yet, Sir. Location is not confirmed.”

“Fuck, Davis.” Tom lowered his glass to glare at the man at the next window. “It’s Golf-Six, the building identified by Delta. What’s the problem? Confirm the presence of enemy forces and call in the shot!”

Nate felt the pressure to call it in, but if he was wrong, or if Delta was wrong, they would take out the wrong people. Aside from the investigations that would follow it was too important a call to make. Something about the flash of white fabric they’d seen in the window two blocks down didn’t feel right. “Verifying, Sir. Just one sec.”

“We don’t have a second, Sergeant. Call it in!”

“One sec.” He thought about Delta’s last reported location, in the Northeast quadrant of the city. About a klick away from here, and much too far to have positively ID’d the target. He turned the map upside down and tried to look at it from the other team’s point of view. “Verifying. One moment.” He peered through his scope again, thinking about angles of vision, sun, and proximity to the target.

Shit. That isn’t the enemy we’re were looking at; it was Delta.

“Negative sir, no shot.”

“What the fuck, Davis?” Tom was still looking at the target. “I can see them. Call it in.”

“No sir, that’s Delta’s location.” He glanced down at his map again and drew a line from where they thought they were supposed to be to where they were and tried to figure out where they thought that Golf-Six was. He glassed back out the window, scanning the buildings and quietly counting to himself until he found the one.

He paused and waited. Eventually a door opened, and someone tossed out the contents of a bucket. Nate saw the barrel of a Russian rifle on the man’s back, and behind him a glimpse of a flag on the wall of the room.

He recounted the buildings, and tracked back, double-checking that he knew the location that the insurgent group had occupied. He wrote down the information so he wouldn’t get it confused when relaying it. One stupid mis-spoken word and the wrong building would be targeted, and with it, their advantage.

“New target location,” he relayed to their shooter. “Delta, you are in building Golf-Six. Repeat. You are in Golf-Six. New target location, Juliet-twelve. Repeat, Juliet-One-Two.” He glanced back through the scope and saw movement in building Golf-Six. Someone probably just shit themselves, realizing what almost happened.

“Confirm target,” squawked the reply. “Juliet-twelve. Juliet-One-Two?”

“Positive.” He looked over at Tom.

Tom shook his head. “That could have been bad.” Understatement of the year.

“But it’s not.” Nate looked out the window to confirm that his message had been delivered. Delta reported that they were Oscar Mike, or on the move. “Come on, Captain. Let’s get back to basecamp.”

It had been four days, and though they’d sat tight until the moment they were needed, there was no guarantee that the path back would still be safe. Nate studied their map and took a few surveying glances out of the window before deciding the best path to take. It always unnerved him. The wrong path might set them up for an impromptu ambush. The right one might take three times as long, but it meant their small team would all make it.

A harrowing seven hours later they were in a safe zone. At least, as safe as you could be in a place like this. Nate headed to the shower and rinsed off, letting the cool water chill his skin and remind him that he was still breathing. They’d had a moment where he thought they’d come across an armed enemy, but after some scoping, Nate realized that the armed man they saw had been dead for at least a week. It was hard to trust your nose when so much of the landscape was covered in death and destruction, but in this case the flies crawling over the man’s opened eyes were a dead giveaway.

Nate pulled on a t-shirt and his desert camo, then grabbed some chow before making his way to his cot. It wasn’t much, but a few hours of tension-free sleep was worth more than gold right now. As he sat down he noticed the corner of an envelope peeking from where it had fallen. He leaned over and slid it free, noticing the large, feminine handwriting. It was addressed to him, but the return address listed Irene, and for a moment he couldn’t think of who named “Irene” would be writing to him.

He slid a finger along the flap and pulled apart the envelope, then tapped it upside down on his hand to free its contents. A slight scent of femininity lingered; nothing overly obvious, just the impression that someone clean had handled the contents.

He went outside to where the light was better and sat at one of the tables next to their tent.

The bright glare made it difficult to read at first, but then he began to make his way through her words. He chuckled to himself – busy was an understatement – and when she revealed that she as a resident he whistled softly though his teeth. Old Tom was marrying up. He letter was short, and sweet, and he imagined her there writing in her house after working a shift. He didn’t know a lot about residencies or being a doctor, but something struck him as odd. He folded the letter and went back inside to dig around for the last letter she had sent. It wasn’t hard to find – it was the only other letter he had.

As he compared the two he began to wonder if he’d misheard Tom when he asked about Irene’s ‘test’. He could have sworn that he said it was some kind of medical exam, and she confirmed it, but her original letter didn’t say the same thing. It said that she was scared, with what was going on, and she had to see the doctor for “some tests”, which was different than taking an exam.

He rubbed his hand over his eyes and then slapped himself. I’m an idiot.

Nate grabbed a pad and pen and the letters and went outside again to write a reply. He never let these things wait, since he was on his first tour and his buddy Jerome was planning on writing his girl to ask her to marry him. He had waited, and they went out to scout the city, and Jerome didn’t make it back. His girl never got the chance to know that he wanted to marry her. All she got was a set of form letters from the president and Jerome’s commanding officer, sending the standard consolation lines that were never enough to replace what was lost.

The first thing he needed to figure out was how honest he should be in his letter. He tapped his lips with the end of the pen, then jotted down the date after checking his watch to make sure he got it right.

Dear Irene,

Tom and I met on his first tour, and we’ve bounced around a bit since then. He probably never talked about me because there’s a lot of better things to talk about when you’re with your fiancée then the smelly guys back at work, ha! Anyway, I’ve heard a bit about you, though Tom left out the part about being a resident. Sorry about that – I assumed you were still working on your degree.

Can I ask you a question? If it’s out of line just let me know. I’m used to over-stepping, so it’s not going to hurt my feelings if it’s none of my business.

When I asked Tom about the tests you were taking with the doctor, I got the impression that it was some kind of exam for your program, and your answer certainly backed that impression up. But looking at your first letter again, you said that you-

He looked at the letter to verify it. Yep, “I was just...scared, with everything going on. And I selfishly wanted you here for my own comfort.”

A small flash of light caused him to look up to see a journalist pulling a picture out of a Polaroid. He waved it in his hand and grinned, then looked at it. “Here you go,” he said, handing it to Nate. “Send it home to your family – they’ll be glad to know you’re writing them.” He nodded before strolling off to document other aspects of camp without revealing details. Since they didn’t have access to their phones or other items (or shouldn’t have), this was often the only remembrances they were allowed.

“Thanks,” Nathan had said, accepting the token. It slowly developed on the table as he continued –

-you wrote that you were scared with everything that was going on, and you wanted him there for your own comfort. And then you wrote about the tests. I know it’s none of my business, but Tom’s my friend and my officer, and I wanted to know if there’s anything I should know that might be on his mind. He’s been distracted lately, and it makes for mistakes in the field. As you probably know, distraction-caused mistakes can be a matter of life and death. We almost had one today.

Was that too much to tell her? He wondered if that would worry her unnecessarily, and with whatever else she might have going on, she didn’t need that.

We’re all okay. Tom’s okay. He’s his usual asshole self, which is a good thing. You gotta be a little bit of that if you’re in charge of soldiers out here.

I think that if I tell him that you passed the exam he’s not going to understand. Or maybe he will. Was it a pregnancy test? Something else? Did you want to get married before the baby’s born, and now you’ve got to wait a year to see each other again? If it’s any consolation, I’ve witnessed a few Skype marriages, and they seem pretty okay to me (aside from the not being able to be together part).

Anyway, Tom’s doing well. We’re all okay. No one has been lost in the unit, so that’s always a good day. We’re getting our mission goals accomplished, and I can’t say anything more than that.

If it helps you to not worry so much, know that I’ll make it my personal goal that your fiancée gets back to you in one piece. And I’ll gladly accept an invitation to your wedding. We should celebrate every chance we get.

Take care of yourself,

SSgt. Nathanial Davis, USArmy

He addressed the envelope and slid the Polaroid inside with the letter before dropping it in the “Mail Out” box. Then he headed back to the tent for some well-deserved rest, and didn’t think about it for the next two weeks.

Irene sat in the examination room of her oncologist’s office, her heart pounding quickly within the walls of her chest. She couldn’t seem to sit still, constantly looking about the room, crossing and uncrossing her legs, fiddling with her fingers in her lap. Normally, if she wasn’t waiting to talk about the cancer she had, waiting for a doctor to show up would mean spending some time on her phone, but the damned device kept going off with emails from work and text messages from her mother, regarding dinner tonight. Any other time, she wouldn’t have minded the notifications, and she would have dealt with any pressing issues.

Right now, though? She just found the soft dings irksome, forcing her to put her smartphone on silent and toss it in her open bag on the floor.

Her eyes had been trained on a poster that she found interesting, her heels clacking against the floor to break the suffocating silence around her, when the door to the room opened. In walked Dr. Rosen, a middle-aged man with hair that was already going white at the edges. He wore a kind smile, and he peered at her with friendly green eyes through rectangular glasses.

“Irene,” he said her name almost fondly, a tactic she had used with a lot of her own patients’ parents. “How are you? It’s been some time since we last spoke face to face.”

She shrugged her shoulders, not quite sure how to respond other than to say, “As good as a person can be in my situation.”

“Ah yes. About your situation…” He moved to sit on a chair, by the computer, and placed his clipboard on the table surface. “I went over your lab work and the reports from the radiologists. There is no doubt that you have two tumors, one in each breast.” His hand lifted to adjust his glasses as he looked at her. “I do want to do one more biopsy, as we saw a few spots on the MRI that would suggest possible smaller tumors. I’d also like to remove a lymph node for some testing.”

“You think it has spread to the lymph?” Irene questioned over the knot in her throat, her lips falling into a worried frown.

“I can’t be certain, but there is a possibility,” he answered solemnly. “I know this must be difficult to hear and go through, but I do have some resources for you. You are not alone in this. There are counselors and support groups I could give you the information to, and as I said, we’ll go over all your options as far as how to go about treating this when I am certain what stage it is.”

The thought of going through another biopsy when the first one had been traumatizing did not sit well with her. They didn’t knock you out for the procedure, and you had to lay prone on an MRI machine for forty five minutes while people were cutting into your chest. The first time, she had nearly passed out, not from the pain--they did use lidocaine injections--but the feeling of a scalpel tearing into her.

She wasn’t certain what the biopsy of the lymph would entail, but if it was anything like the biopsy for her breast, she wasn’t sure she could handle it.

“Now, we typically do the lymph node biopsy at the time of the lumpectomy,” Dr. Rosen continued to explain. “If the cancer has moved into the lymph or beyond that, radiation or chemotherapy will likely have to be considered. However, if the cancer is localized to the breast tissue, we don’t have to go any further beyond the lumpectomy. I want to do the biopsy to just confirm the extent of the breast tissue that would need to be removed. We may need to do a mastectomy, worst case.”

“And we can have a plastic surgeon on board?” Irene asked, knowing that breast reconstruction surgery and implants were also things she could have done in the case of surgical removal of the tumors.

“Of course, but you would have to meet with your chosen plastic surgeon prior to the actual surgery,” the oncologist informed her, turning in his swivel chair to open a filing cabinet. He pulled out a few brochures as well as a piece of paper. He handed all of them to her. “These are the resources I mentioned, and the paper has a list of the best plastic surgeons in the area.”

Irene looked through the leaflets before eyeing the long list of possible surgeons. She would have to ask around about them and do her own research before making an appointment, but that would wait until after the results of the next biopsy came back. Taking this one step at a time seemed more manageable rather than trying to get all her ducks in a row at the same time. She would have to remember not to get ahead of herself; already, when Dr. Rosen had mentioned the possibility of radiation or chemo, she had thought of what that would do to her fertility. Freezing her eggs was an option, but, again, she didn’t know if it was even necessary to consider yet.

“Do you have any questions for me?” the oncologist asked, drawing her attention back to him as he logged into the computer. “If not, we can select a date for the biopsy, and I’ll put in the necessary paperwork.”

“Oh. No. Not at the moment, but let me get my phone out.” She leaned forward to grab the device from her purse, unlocking it before opening her calendar app. Selecting a day for this would require her to look at her schedule, and hopefully, she had off at least one of the days he would suggest.

“Well, if you do have any pressing questions, you have the number to my office, and there’s also some information on the American Cancer Society in that stack I handed to you.” He glanced away from the monitor for a moment to nod towards the pile of papers she had in her lap. “How does next Tuesday sound?”

Irene shook her head. “I can’t.”

“Thursday?”

“No…”

“The Thursday after that?”

Finally. A day she could go with. “That works. What time?” she asked, fingers poised to add an event for that day.

“I have eight o’clock in the morning or two in the afternoon,” he responded, green eyes moving to her face.

She thought on it for a moment before deciding that she’d much rather get it over with earlier in the day so that she wouldn’t spend most of her waking hours dreading the moment she would have to go to the hospital for this procedure. “I’ll do the eight o’clock.”

“Great.” He typed something into the computer. “So you’ll have to be there by seven-thirty to check-in. The secretary will give you the information you need on the way out, and she’ll help you make an appointment to see me to discuss the results and our plan moving forward.”

“Thank you, Doctor,” she said with a smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes. Grabbing her bag with one hand, she got to her feet, placing the papers and her phone into the purse before throwing it onto her shoulder.

“I know this is hard, Irene.” He walked over to her, placing a hand lightly on her shoulder. “But I promise you that you will beat this.”

She nodded, knowing he couldn’t guarantee it, but for a moment, as he led her out to the waiting area, she let herself believe that what he had said was a promise, one he could not and would not break.

++++++++++++++++++

Irene decided to stop at home to give herself some time to regroup. She was having dinner with her parents tonight; her younger brothers would be home from college, so she was looking forward to seeing them. However, she would have to do her best to keep up the image that nothing was wrong. She still didn’t know how to tell her family about this, much less Tom; while he had been the only one aware that she was getting these tests done, she still hadn’t told him that she had a definitive diagnosis.

It was as she was getting the mail from her box by the curb that she thought about attempting to write to Tom again, just to let him know what had happened. She didn’t exactly expect something from Nathaniel any time soon, and her diagnosis wasn’t something she thought Tom should hear from his best friend. Imagine her surprise when she saw that Nathaniel had replied to her letter rather promptly; it had only been a couple of weeks since she sent her envelope to him, and here she was, holding one that was addressed to her from a Nathaniel Davis.

When she had finished the contents of his letter, sitting on her living room couch, she realized that maybe telling Tom wasn’t the best idea. If the prospect of her being diagnosed with breast cancer was getting to him, she wasn’t sure what letting him know the truth would help very much. The last thing she wanted to do was to put him or his unit in danger.

Another thing that had bothered her was the fact that Tom had let Nathaniel read her letter to him. It was meant to be private, and Sergeant Davis wouldn’t even be asking about her health if he hadn’t seen what she had written.

Pregnancy? Ha. She wished. That test was far less invasive, and she would get a baby from a positive result. Not a bad deal considering the one she had been given.

She folded up the paper with a sigh, about to put it back in the envelope when she noticed something else inside. Curious, she put the letter down on the cushion beside her, and using her, now free, hand to widen the opening of the envelope, she peered inside. A polaroid? Interesting. She fished it out.

The picture was of a handsome soldier, one she assumed was Nathaniel, considering he was in the middle of writing a letter when his image was captured.

Irene stared at it a moment more before placing the polaroid with the letter.

If she wanted to reply sooner rather than later--and she did if it would help keep everyone, including Tom and Nathaniel safe--she would have to write her reply today and send it out tomorrow morning. She had a thirty-six hour shift starting the next day, and only twenty-four hours of break before returning for another twenty-four hours of work. Her family wasn’t expecting her until six, so she did have some time to commit to writing out a response.

Grabbing the envelope, papers and picture, she made her way towards her bedroom.

The afternoon sun spilled into the small space, lighting her bed as well as her desk in the opposite corner of the room. One of the things that had drawn her to this house was the amount of natural light, and it was abundant in this room. Perfect for situations such as this, but the worst when she was trying to sleep in.

She sat at her workspace, grabbing a pen from the mason jar stocked full of them. Her pad of paper was already there, waiting for her written words, and as always, she began with a date and…

Dear Nathaniel,

Despite the heavy topics she was going to discuss with him, she found the sentences came easy.

I suppose, but I do talk to him about my friends on occasion. Tom is fortunate, though. Not many friends would write for him, and to his fiancée, no less! As for not knowing I was a resident, that really isn’t something to apologize for. I have no idea what Tom has told you about me, so to expect you to know something like that would be expecting a bit much. Don’t you think?

I am a bit disappointed to hear that he let you read that letter. While there wasn’t anything in it too private, it has led to what I am about to tell you. Tom lied to you when he told you that I would be taking an exam with a doctor to possibly further my career. He knows full well that I have been seeing an oncologist, as I feared I possibly had cancer. I hadn’t told my family, not wanting to worry them needlessly, but part of the reason I wanted Tom to stay home was because I was scared about going through this alone.

Irene paused, inhaling and letting out the air in a staggered exhale. Why was she becoming so emotional? All she was doing was writing a letter, nothing that was supposed to be emotionally taxing.

I am only telling you this because you have seen the letter, and I do worry for your unit’s safety. Tom should be focusing on his work, not whatever troubles I have here at home. Which is why I figured I’d leave it up to you, what you want to tell him. The truth is, I was diagnosed with breast cancer, and I am still learning what that means for me. As for Tom, I intended on telling him through a separate letter, but now, after reading your concerns, I wonder if breaking my news to him would be best. Perhaps the best thing for all of your safety is to lie and tell him that the tests came back negative.

He would be mad at her once he knew the truth, but she’d rather have him be alive and angry with her than dead.

I leave that decision, as his friend and Sargent, up to you.

You’re the only one I have told about this. Not even my family is aware of my diagnosis, so I would appreciate it staying that way. I am fine with Tom finding out, should you decide that that is the best course of action.

On a more happy note, I am glad to hear that all is going well for you guys out there. Also, I trust that you will get Tom back to me in one piece. Can’t say it will be easy; he’s a bit of a troublemaker, and he doesn’t always think before he acts. Sometimes, I wonder how he has gotten to the rank he has. So thank you. It puts me at ease to know that he has someone looking out for him, but please don’t put yourself in any unnecessary danger for his sake. You should return home in one piece to your loved ones, as well.

Stay safe.

Irene
She read over the letter, chewing on her bottom lip. Everything seemed okay. No grammatical errors, but...Oh! She had forgotten to mention the polaroid! Her hand moved to grip the pen, intent on rectifying that, but then she realized she could not erase anything, as it was all written in ink.

So, instead, she added to the bottom:

P.S., Thank you for the picture, as well. It’s nice to put a face to the sender. I don’t know if Tom has shown you what I look like, so in return, I have sent a picture. I don’t have any printed photos of myself; I had to steal it from my mother’s album.

And later on, after dinner, she did find a picture that was somewhat recent. She sent it with the letter the next day

“A hostile exfil, huh? Sounds like fun.” Nathanial set the orders down on the table and looked at his commander. “This guy’s a piece of shit. Why do we want him out of there alive?”

“Not our concern.” Tom pulled his flak jacket on and then tightened the straps. “We just do what we are told, like the good GIs we are.” He stretched his arms out to get the bunched-up fabric underneath to relax, and then considered the sergeant. “What’s on your mind?” He had four other men to worry about, but lately this one had been giving him strange looks. If he had doubts in his leadership ability after that almost-miss call-in he wanted to hear about it.

“Just wondering – have you heard from your girl lately?” He twisted the cap off a soda and drank some of it, enjoying the carbonation and the caffeine. It wasn’t cold, not much that was supposed to be was, here, but it was wet, and it tasted a little bit like home. It burned wonderfully down his throat as he downed enough to feed a righteous burp, lightening the mood slightly.

“Naw. I guess I should write her back.” He began shoving things into his pockets. “I just don’t know what to say to the folks back home.”

How about ‘how are you’ or ‘I miss you’, you jackass. He thought these words but didn’t say them. “Well, if I had someone to write to like that I’d be telling her about all the things I wanted to do with her when I got home.” He gave Tom a crooked grin. “You guys are engaged, right? She’s probably planning weddings.”

“No.” Tom shook his head and grabbed his helmet. “Everyone expects us to get married, but we’re not exactly engaged yet.”

“You’re fucking with me, right?”

“It’s expected,” he clarified. “We both know that our families want it, and we’ve been together since we were kids, but it’s not official yet.” He narrowed his eyes at the sarge and looked him up and down. “What? You judging me or something?” He felt the guilt of leaving Irene with that undiagnosed cancer screening, and it felt like the guilt was leaping up to bite him. He shoved it back down to that other compartment, where homelife and work life didn’t overlap. It was easier to function that way. It kept everything separate, so that he could focus.

“No, I’m just… curious.” Nate finished off his soda and crushed the plastic bottle before screwing the cap back on to keep it compact. He slid it into the trash bin and picked up a compass.

“Yeah, well start being curious on that intel and plot us our best bet to get this guy. We leave in twenty hours.” He placed his helmet on and stepped out of the tent. He stalked angrily across the compound, avoiding dusty trucks and tired soldiers. Some, on what they substituted for ‘leave’, were drinking confiscated beer in a tent. Tom looked the other way. Sometimes you had to bend the rules to keep the people happy, and what they had out here was booze and sex, and a little gambling. But mostly booze and sex.

“Hey Captain!” Gutierrez waved him over, flashing a big smile in his direction. He wandered over, enjoying the sight of her dark eyes and thick, unbound hair flouncing over the top of her brown t-shirt. “What’s got you looking so glum?” She raised a mason jar filled with ice cubes and what looked like tea. It was a luxury out here – ice. “Want to partake in some of our flyboys’ contributions to tonight’s event?”

He smiled down at her. She was a logistics officer and very good at what she did, which was make sure that they had enough supplies to feed the soldiers. She took good care of the troops, which everyone appreciated.

“You’re trading with the Air Force now?” He asked, taking the offered drink and taking a swallow. Tea, yes – a little bite of ‘extra’ confirmed vodka was also part of the mix.

“Just a little of ‘you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours’,” she crooned, looking up at him. “It makes the world go ‘round.” She took her drink back and let her hand linger on his. “So… you joining us tonight? Commissioned only.” Which meant, no NCOs, or Non-Commissioned Officers like sergeants or below would be present. They could drop their guard slightly.

“We’re celebrating.”

“Yeah? What’s the occasion?”

“Does there have to be one?” She turned away from him and glanced back over her shoulder. “Well? You coming or not?”

Tom smiled, charmed by her spunk and those dark, friendly eyes, and followed her into the tent.

~ * ~ * ~

“Where the hell’s our transport?” Richards struggled to hold onto their target, a fourth-generation terrorist who was being brought back to stand trial for genocide. The sarge wiped blood from his eyes, a casualty of the flying glass they’d encountered getting into the compound. He was gritting through pained teeth, but like the others in the unit pushed on; they trained to get things done and worry about the pain later, a skill that brought many home who would have been lost otherwise.

Davis glanced back at him and grimaced. This had been an expensive exfil, their word for extracting a hostile, and though they’d made it this far there was no guarantee they’d get all the way back to camp. “ETA two minutes,” he replied, adding mentally don’t fall apart – we’re almost there.

Tom was steadfastly studying their path to the landing zone. He’d taken out a few of the insurgents’ people and kept hearing their shouts in his head. No matter that they were shooting back, or would have killed the soldiers without a thought – these were still people, many of them kin to each other, and in the last group a soft-looking grandmother had surprised them all when she whipped out a rifle and started spraying at them. Hence the glass, and the blood that kept dripping into Richard’s eyes.

Their target was blindfolded, gagged, and tied, but still put up a struggle. He’d even peed himself, probably in an attempt to make them not want to touch him, but the men had touched worse and put up with worse to be put off by a little urine. Besides, they could always wash off piss. They couldn’t wash off failure.

A moment later the sound of an approaching helicopter alerted them. Tom made the sign for ‘secure the area’ and they moved; each with an assigned task and duty to make sure that the chopper could land and take off safely. Once they were in the air, all bets were off. A well-placed rocket launcher or sniper shot could still spell doom until they were out of sight and out of range.

As the quieter than normal of the blades centered overhead, they advanced. Men rushed forward with a white-robed captive held between two tan-clad ones (not needing to bend over to board was a distinct advantage for timesaving) hanging on for dear life. The helicopter lifted and banked, then moved away and up, vying for elevation and increased safety. The men crowded in the open bay, securing their target so he wouldn’t jump out and leaning over the side, their own weapons ready to shoot at any perceived threat.

Nathanial crouched near the cockpit between the two pilots and watched them work. It was different from the Bell he used to crop-dust in Georgia, but the appeal of a rotor wing still made him as excited as the first time he went up with his gramps. The smell of hydraulic fluid, gunpowder, and sweat, would always be associated with this time of his life.

The pilots spoke into their mikes, alerting the base that they’d acquired the target and were returning. It felt like they had gotten past the worst of it. Nate turned around to let Tom know, and at that moment the glass shattered behind him and the world tilted to the right. Richards grabbed at a strap and held on as his legs dangled dangerously out the bay.

Nate whipped around to see what the pilots were doing. It wasn’t good – one clutched at his neck, stemming the spurt of blood as he fought desperately to keep the copter up. The other pilot had been knocked out by the blast. Nate leaned over the center console and grabbed the unconscious pilot, shaking him and shouting until his eyes alerted and he realized what was going on so that he could take over, then he turned to the injured one and began to apply the bit of field medic information he had. Basically - stop the bleeding.

“What the fuck’s going on!” Tom shouted as the Blackhawk righted itself and banked hard the other direction to miss a building.

Nate pressed down on the co-pilot’s neck. He was practically in his lap trying to help the man, whose wide eyes and constricted pupils communicated his shock and fear. “You’re gonna make it,” he said, his fingers finding the wound and pressing enough to stop the blood without stopping it from getting to his brain. “I got you, you’re gonna make it.” He could tell that the previously unconscious pilot was in control now. There was no need to panic on that front. “Look at me, look at me, got it?” He felt the slight nod and did his best to smile reassuringly. “Just a nick, that’s all it is. Breath slowly, try to relax. I got you, okay? I’m not gonna let you go. Look at me.” He felt the other man cool, perhaps from shock, and his own heart began a rapid staccato. No, not the co-pilot. He’s gonna make it. He kept the pressure up and felt the pulsating beneath his fingertips, and it seemed like the outpouring had slowed, which was a good sign. The other guy’s eyes blinked slowly. He was going into shock. They needed help.

He took a moment to glance in the bay. Everyone was there, even the bastard they had gone to fetch. “Collins, call in the medics for our landing.”

Tom relayed the message to the radioman, who couldn’t hear them above the whine and wind and panic. A nod of confirmation later and the call was made.

It seemed like an eternity passed until they sighted their landing zone. The windows on the Blackhawk were little mor than tank slots, not enough to view the world around, but a good shield from danger and a place to put all the aeronautical equipment and computers needed to navigate. It had probably saved their life, and the ricochet pattern of the bullet that hit the co-pilot testified that it had been pure, idiotic luck that he’d been injured at all.

The Blackhawk touched down, and soon medical teams were unloading the co-pilot through the side door, forcing Nate to clamber over consoles and the pilot’s seat to come out behind him, his hand still pressed on the wound. He glanced back and got an affirmative nod from Tom to continue with the doctors while the rest of the team handed over their target to the acquisition squad, who would be taking the man the rest of the way.

Nate turned his attention back to the co-pilot, and an hour later was washing his blood and sending up a ‘thank you’ that no one had died.

He peeled off his clothes and groaned; the awkward position of the ride had made him cramp up from tension and fear. He wanted nothing more than a beer and sleep, but a letter on his cot caught his eye. He smiled to himself – the little touch of hominess that he felt when he saw Irene’s handwriting was a welcome relief to what the last thirty hours had dumped on him.

He opened the envelope and tapped its contents out on his palm, feeling the heavier material of the photo drop. His first reaction when he saw her was to smile back. Something about that wide, friendly, genuine smile made him feel like she was looking right at him. He set her picture on the side table and opened her letter. Skimming down it quickly he got the gist, then he started at the top and read carefully, thinking through her word choices and the potential emotions behind them.

It was easier to start at the bottom of her letter and work his way up as he sat down and began to write. Date, then salutation, then the risk –

Dear Irene,

Tom reached his rank because he went through the NCO program, because of his degree. Lots of smart young guys and gals do that. Honestly, it’s a good plan, and shows that he’s got a good head on his shoulders. We’ve teased him about his Criminal Justice degree, but knowing that your families are both generational cops, it makes sense. He’d make a good lawyer one day if he decides to pursue it.

As far as his lying to me about your condition, and letting me read the letter, he didn’t actually ‘let’ me. I grabbed it off his couch and read it while fending him off. Maybe he was just too tired to put up much of a struggle. I see now that I really shouldn’t have done that – I guess I’m an asshole too.

I should probably give it back to him, huh? He hasn’t asked for it, but he’s got a lot on his plate.

I don’t know that it’s my place to tell Tom. If you want me to, if it’s too hard for you to tell him, then I will. He doesn’t know I’ve been writing you so there’s that. Honestly, I think he can take it. He’s a strong leader and has dealt with a lot, but it’s probably hard when the person you love is struggling and you can’t do anything about it. We’re trained to ‘do something’. Being helpless to fix the problem is a hard place to be – I can imagine that it’s just as scary for him as it is for you. If it’s any consolation I’ve heard that breast cancer is the ‘best’ cancer you can have. That was probably stupid to say, but they’ve come a long way in treatment. Still, I’m sorry that you are going through this, and sorrier that you’re alone. You should tell your family, Irene. They love you and would be angry to have you carry this on your own.

Your family loves you. My gramps always said that no matter how much they fought, how much they struggled, kin is there for each other. When I went to live with him after my parents passed he was my whole world. He didn’t have to do that – he’s more of a second great-uncle than a grandfather – but he was my blood relative and he took in a snotty, angry twelve-year-old and taught me how to be a human being. That’s a lot of love for someone you don’t know, and your family knows you. Think how much more they love and care for you than Gramps did me.

And back to the ‘exam’; Tom probably was protecting you from my question because it’s a personal thing. I wouldn’t fault him for it. I’ve lied too – today I told someone that he was going to be okay, even though I thought he was going to die right beside me. Thankfully he made it to the medics, and no, it wasn’t Tom. Tom’s fine.

Thank you for your picture. I saw the ones you sent Tom but I wasn’t sure which one was you. That smile is impossible to miss so I know you now. I’d like to keep writing to you and hearing how you are, if it’s not too much trouble. I know you probably have a lot going on. It’s nice to get a peek at why we’re here, and it sounds like you’ve got as much, or more, of a battle on your hands than we do. I’m hoping to get to Skype my gramps in a month when we take a leave to a more secure location. Maybe you can talk to Tom then, too. Tell him what’s going on in person. I’ll let you know when that is, once we get a firm date. Of course, nothing is guaranteed out here, but we’ll try our best to be there.

Take care of yourself, get lots of rest, and share your burden with your family. I’d want to know, if it was me in their place.

Be well,

SSgt Nathanial Davis, USArmy

Maybe he’d overstepped in this letter, but he owed her honesty and the apology. He addressed the letter and made the short walk to drop it in the ‘mail out’ box, then tried to put a few hours of sleep behind him.

rene lowered her hand, letting it rest on her knee as she leaned her head against the back of the couch she was sitting on. Her eyes fell closed, as she did her best to calm the sudden rush of emotions that Nathaniel’s letter had dug up within her. It didn’t help that the last few days had brought her to her near breaking point, starting with the conversation she had with her oncologist followed by losing a kid last night.

She was still beating herself up about that. The code blue had been paged overhead while she was in the on-call room, half-asleep. At first, she hadn’t realized the operator had said “Pediatric ICU” until they had repeated the announcement again. It was while she was scrambling out of the bed that her phone started ringing. She answered it, keeping the device between her shoulder and ear as she leaned down to tie her shoes. “Talk to me.”

“It’s Jamie.”

“Shit,” she breathed out, getting to her feet. Jamie had been admitted last week, after being involved in a motor vehicle accident. He had severe burns, the damage to the car causing it to go up in flames; personally, Irene had wondered how the boy was still alive when EMS had gotten to the scene. In addition to having second and third degree burns covering most of his body, he had a broken arm and fractured ribs on the right side, leading to a punctured lung. So far, they had managed to keep him stable, but his lab results the morning of her shift were suggesting possible sepsis.

He was only seven years of age.

“He was having difficulty breathing, his heart rate was one-hundred and eighty-three, blood pressure eighty over thirty-eight.”

Irene rushed out the door and into the hallway, already having a hunch as to what was going on. Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, a condition that seemed to only occur in those that experienced immense physical trauma. “And you didn’t call a Rapid?”

“We were about to when he became unresponsive,” the charge nurse said over the line just as the female resident spotted her with the mobile computer. Their eyes met, and Irene promptly hung up, placing the phone in her pocket before entering the room.

Nurses surrounded the hospital bed. One had already begun chest compressions while the other was hanging bags of fluids, already anticipating the orders Irene was about to give. “I want both of his IVs connected, and just let it flow. Ignore the pump. Where’s the code cart?” she asked, slipping on a pair of gloves as she glanced at the monitor over the bed.

“Marnie went to get it.”

“I want blood gases ordered STAT. Chest x-ray to follow.” They were likely going to puncture his other lung, at this rate. “Is respiratory here yet?” And he was going to need to be intubated.

She switched off with the nurse doing compressions, allowing her a small break. It had already been two minutes at this point, and Jamie didn’t seem to be responding to anything they were doing. A sense of dread came over her, and she had to remind herself to keep the pace. Going faster or harder with compressions would do the boy no good.

“Where’s the damn code cart?” she shouted out to the charge nurse, a scowl pulling on her normally friendly features. She paused a moment to let a nurse bag him before resuming her movements.

“I’m here! I’m here!” Marnie, one of the nurses, rushed into the room with the cart followed by two respiratory therapists and an anesthesiologist. One RT set to work drawing the ABG while the other began to set up supplies for intubation.

“Get the defibrillator ready.”

Irene didn’t move from Jamie until they were putting the paddles on him. The first shock did nothing. They resumed CPR until the anesthesiologist was ready to intubate. By the time they had him hooked up to a vent, nearly ten minutes had passed.

A second shock was administered. Nothing.

It was at that point that Irene could feel eyes on her. The monitor’s alarms were going off. No heart rate detected.

“One more round,” she breathed out the words, positioning herself over the young boy’s body to begin compressions once more. “Then...I’ll call it.”

She did not rest until the next morning. Following Jamie’s death, she had to make a phone call to his, already quite distraught, parents. She told them, using the gentlest of tones and words, what had happened. Of course, they wanted to come in and see him right away. Irene didn’t blame them; she would stay as long as they needed her to. So in addition to all the paperwork and charting she had to do, she spent three hours at the bedside with Jamie’s parents. They had questions, and she did her best to answer them. His poor mother could barely get words out; she was inconsolable, and in the end, it frustrated Irene that she could do little more than offer words of comfort.

When they left, she hugged them both, again apologizing for their loss.

They didn’t place the blame on her. Irene could tell from their heartfelt thank you as well as the way they looked at her. But she had trouble letting it go. She always did. At home, laying in her own bed, instead of attempting to fall asleep, she played the code over and over again. Was there anything she could have done differently? Maybe, if she had gotten there faster Jamie might be alive. Before she had gone to the on-call room, had she missed something? Should they have tried resuscitating longer? New scenarios of how the situation could have panned out had she done something else were abundant and time-consuming. After hours of this with no sleep, she had gotten up, going about her normal routine. She got the mail later in the day, after managing to get a short nap in. Nathaniel’s letter had been among the pile of envelopes, and instead of making dinner--she didn’t have much of an appetite--she sat in the darkness of her living room to read it.

He was right, of course, and she was too drained to begin telling him so.

Instead, while holding back tears, she got her cell phone and dialed her mother’s number.

“Hello?”

“Hi, Mama.” Her voice cracked.

“What’s wrong, sweetie?” She knew instantly, her tone heavy with concern.

“Can you stop by?” Irene sniffled, swallowing thickly as her fingers played with the edges of the papers in her lap. “I have something I have to tell you.”

“Of course, baby. I’ll be right over.”

“Can Dad come, too?” she lifted a hand to wipe at her eyes.

“Yes. I’ll bring him with me. Okay? Give us fifteen minutes.”

~*~*~
Those fifteen minutes felt like one of the longest waits of her life. Irene passed the first couple of minutes putting away Nathaniel’s letter, not wanting her parents to see it. They could easily assume it was from Tom, and her mother was the type to read through her mail. Privacy had never been a thing, back when she lived with her. To explain why she was keeping in contact with her boyfriend’s friend rather than her boyfriend himself would be...awkward. Especially since she didn’t quite know why herself. Although, Tom could write to her at any point, really.

Up until there was an actual knock on her front door, Irene couldn’t keep still. She paced around the front portion of the house, pulling on the sleeves of her sweatshirt, fiddling with the claddagh ring she wore on her right ring finger, worrying her bottom lip until she accidentally bit it. That put an end to that.

When her parents finally did arrive in her father’s pick-up, she watched through the front window as they hurried up the walkway. They only managed to knock once before she had thrown open the door, stepping to the side to allow them in. For once, her mother didn’t say a word; she just slipped off her shoes in the entryway before getting out of her husband’s way. He was silent, too, hands buried deep into the pockets of his jean jacket; he didn’t bother taking off his cap. They both looked at their daughter, who still seemed a bit unsure how to start.

“Why don’t we go sit down?” Irene suggested, gesturing with her hand to the couch in the living room.

It was when they were all settled in the living room, her parents taking the love-seat while she sat in the armchair across from them, that Irene’s mother seemed unable to keep her curiosity to herself any longer. “Are you pregnant?” There was a slight giddiness hidden beneath the seriousness of her tone, and for some reason, Irene found herself irritated by the question.

“No,” she said softly, folding her hands in her lap.

“Then what is it, baby? You terrified me with that phone call, you know.”

“Donna,” her father warned, sending a glare his wife’s way. He knew she was really worried, just as he was, but pressuring Irene into spitting out whatever was bothering her wasn’t the way to go about this. Clearly, their daughter was pretty upset, and she hadn’t thought about how to break whatever it was to them.

Donna pressed her red lips together. She knew something had been going on with Irene. Call it mother’s intuition, but she hadn’t been the same, bubbly, smiley girl since Tom had told them that he would be going overseas again. At first, she had attributed the depressed mood to his absence, but as time passed, she had a hunch that it was something much more than that.

Silence settled over them again as Irene struggled with how to talk about this. She honestly didn’t want to go into detail about how she discovered the lump that had brought her to her gynecologist in the first place. She also didn’t have the energy or the emotional strength at the moment to give them a long story, going through each of the referrals and doctor’s visits and biopsies and imaging...In the end, it would just be easier to cut to the chase.

“I have breast cancer.” And for some reason, saying those four short words seemed to lift an invisible weight off her chest.

Only for it to return as she gauged her parents’ reactions. Her father didn’t seem to understand. His dark brows were furrowed in confusion, as if she had just spoken gibberish to him. He blinked, his lips parting for a moment as if ready to pose a question, before shutting once more. Her mother, meanwhile, had fully grasped the gravity of what she had just revealed, so she got up from her spot on the sofa and rushed over to Irene.

Donna’s hug was near bone-crushing, but her daughter was used to it. The familiarity and warmth of her hold was enough to bring fresh tears to her eyes. Surrendering to it, she wrapped her arms around her mother, her face buried in her shoulder.

“I’m so, so sorry, honey.” Her voice was soft as she smoothed a hand over Irene’s hair. “When were you diagnosed?”

“A little over a month and a half ago…” Irene pulled away a bit, wiping her cheeks with both palms. “I didn’t want you both to worry until I knew exactly what was going on.”

“So what does this mean? They can cure it, right?” her father finally spoke up, his brown eyes on the two of them.

“I hope so. Dr. Rosen, the oncologist, wants to do the surgery as soon as possible,” Irene informed them, looking from her father to her mother. “He wants to remove the right breast completely while, hopefully, only having to do a lumpectomy on the left.”

“Have you talked to a plastic surgeon? What about the lymph nodes?” her mother questioned, moving to sit on the arm of Irene’s chair and crossing her legs. Donna knew a bit more about this, as breast cancer ran in her side of the family; however, all the women in her family weren’t diagnosed with it until they were well into their post-menopausal years.

“He gave me a list of surgeons in the area, and as for the lymph, he said he would do a biopsy during the surgery itself.”

Their conversation lasted for at least an hour. Some of the time had to be spent bringing Irene’s father up to speed; he wasn’t big into the medical stuff, and even though Donna had been a housewife, she found the medical field and health care quite interesting. In fact, when her daughter had still been at home, she often helped her study, learning some things herself.

Then, they moved onto actually talking about the plan going forward. Irene explained to them that she had to make an appointment with a plastic surgeon before she could decide on a date for the actual procedure.

“May I see the list he gave you?” her mother asked, curious as to who Dr. Rosen was recommending. A few of her friends had gotten plastic surgery, and she wanted to make sure that her daughter wasn’t seeing any of their surgeons.

Irene disappeared into her bedroom for a moment before coming back with the piece of paper she had been provided with. Already, she had crossed off a few names, after having done some research of her own. She handed the list of providers to Donna, who looked it over with a grave expression. At one point, she leaned over to pick up a pen from the coffee table and began to mark up the page. By the time Irene got the sheet of paper back, more than half of the remaining names had been crossed off.

“How are you going to afford all this?” was her father’s next question.

While Irene did make some money as a resident, she didn’t make nearly as much as a doctor did, and most of it was split up between bills and her student loan debt. She had decent health insurance, but she wasn’t sure if it covered all the plastic surgery she intended on having.

“I’m still not too sure how much this is all going to cost,” she answered honestly, not wanting to stress over the finances just yet. She was more worried about her health and what this meant to her career. For the surgery, she’d have to take time off, and if the lymph node came back positive…

“We’ll figure it out, Robert,” her mother added, waving off the topic with a manicured hand. “Worst case, we’ll help out a little. No big deal.”

“Does Tom know?”

Irene looked down at her hands, which rested in her lap. A part of her was kind of hoping Tom wouldn’t have been brought up. She hadn’t heard from him since he left, and while Nathaniel had assured her not to take it personally, that he was just busy, she had thought he might be concerned enough to write back and ask.

“He knew I was going for tests, but I haven’t been able to tell him about the diagnosis,” she answered honestly.

“Well, don’t you think he should know?” Donna asked, using her fingers to push some of the hair back from Irene’s forehead.

Irene didn’t have an answer to that other than, “I’d rather tell him in person than in a letter.”

“But he’s probably worried sick, Irene,” her father interjected with a frown, knowing he would be if he were in Tom’s place, and Donna was the one with cancer.

“I know. Hopefully, I’ll be able to contact him soon,” she said, recalling Nathaniel’s letter. She’d rather tell him over Skype, as face to face as they could get at this point.

She didn’t know if her parents had actually been satisfied by her answer or if they had taken notice of just how exhausted she was. In the current moment, she was slumped back into the armchair, her eyes barely able to keep open, and her mother’s comforting touch on her forehead wasn’t helping her stay awake.

Nothing else was asked, and it seemed that everyone understood that this conversation could be continued at another date.

“It’s late,” her father pointed out, getting to his feet and placing his hands back in his jacket pockets. “And I think we could all use a good night’s rest.”

His wife nodded in agreement, her eyes moving from his face to rest on their daughter’s. “Do you want me to come with you when you go to the plastic surgeon?”

Under normal circumstances, Irene would have gone to all her doctor’s appointments by herself. She had been since she could first drive. The only times she ever had her mother present at a medical visit or procedure was when she could not drive home afterwards, due to anesthesia. Until now, though, she had never had any sort of surgery, unless one counted wisdom tooth extraction as much. The idea of going under the knife terrified her, and even though this was just an appointment, she wanted someone there.

“Sure.” She nodded with a tired smile as she slowly stood. “Thanks, Mama.”

“Of course, baby,” her mother replied, pulling her into another tight hug. “We’ll support you through this. I know it seems scary, but it’s going to be okay.”

“Your mother’s right.” Her father came over to the two of them, placing a hand on Irene’s shoulder. When his wife had finally relinquished their daughter, he gave her a squeeze into his side.

The three of them said their goodbyes, and Irene walked them to the door, giving her mother one last hug in the threshold before watching them walk to the truck. Once they had driven off, she locked up the house and let out a heavy sigh of relief, wondering why she hadn’t just told them earlier. Of course, she had been worried about worrying them, but they had seemed to handle it well. Better than she had, in some capacities.

She’d have to thank Nathaniel, but for now, she’d get some much needed rest.

~*~*~

Dear Nathaniel,

I never doubted Tom’s intelligence or his ability to lead. Hearing you praise him makes me proud. However, he still can be a stubborn ass at times, as I’m sure you know, and I don’t know what he’s like there with you. There are times he still behaves like a child, acting like my two college-age brothers. They would get into a lot of mischief together on my Uncle’s farm, when we visited. I’m glad he’s being responsible at work, though; that’s where it counts.

As for being a lawyer, I don’t know. He’s never mentioned it to me, but I could see it. I’d support him if he wanted to pursue law.

Don’t worry about the letter. I’m not angry with you or him. In some ways, I think it was a good thing, that you read it and he asked you to respond to it. Otherwise, I don’t think we’d still be in contact, and I definitely wouldn’t have told my parents that I have cancer just yet. I want to thank you for that. I sat them down yesterday, after I read your reply. We had a good talk, and they took it pretty well, all things considered. My mother is going with me to my next appointment, and I know, if I ask, she’ll take care of me during my recovery. We haven’t settled on a date for the surgery yet, but my oncologist is pushing it to be sooner rather than later. I understand why, but I won’t lie that it’s pretty terrifying to me. I’ve only ever had my wisdom teeth pulled. Nothing more than that.

But I’m sure I can brave this, if you and Tom can brave what you’re going through. Sometimes I forget just where these letters are going and why.

You’re also right about it not being your place to tell Tom. I overstepped by asking you to make that decision. I just don’t want my choices to impact your safety. The last thing I want is to have Tom get distracted again and put lives at risk. So for now, don’t tell him. I’ll talk with him, hopefully, if and when a Skype call is a possibility. Worst case, I’ll just have to deal with sending him another letter. He has the right to know for sure, and in some ways, it’s unfair leaving him in limbo like this. But I really would rather tell him as close to in person as possible. That way, I can explain things, if he has any questions, maybe even assure him that I’ll be okay.

By the way, your grandfather sounds like a really wise man, and I’m glad he was there to raise you and love you when you needed someone to. I am sorry about your parents, though. Reading that and complaining about feeling alone, I want to apologize for being so insensitive. Still, I do appreciate you telling me about your gramps; it really opened my eyes to what I needed to do. It sounds like you love him a lot, too, and I hope you’re finding ways to keep in touch with him, even now.

I lied to you, also, if you remember, but I suppose you’re right about Tom wanting to protect something that was private.

I’m happy to hear that your comrade made it. That must have been difficult, trying to assure him when you were pretty terrified of the opposite happening. But sometimes lies are needed. Even in healthcare, we tell patients and family members all the time that things will be okay when we can’t really guarantee it. In school, they tell us never to be dishonest, but I feel that giving them some sort of hope to cling onto makes whatever time they have left a bit less petrifying. At least, in my experience. So I think you didn’t do anything wrong. If anything, you made that soldier feel a bit better.

Ah. I hadn’t thought of that, so good thing I sent the picture, then. I almost didn’t, figuring Tom had already shown you the photos we had sent. I hadn’t considered that you might not know who is who. As for what you said about my smile, I appreciate it. Honestly, I used to be a bit insecure about it, growing up, especially when I had braces.

I’ll keep writing to you as long as you want me to. I enjoy it, actually, and I look forward to hearing from you. In the end, it’s no trouble for me; I’m more worried about you having time to rest. So if you can’t respond right away or at all, I’ll understand. To be quite honest, I didn’t expect for this back and forth to go as long as it has. Let me know about the Skype call. If possible, it’d be nice to say a quick hello to you, too. I’d also like to say thank you to your face. I don’t think I can express just how grateful I am for your advice and updates; I wouldn’t have the support I have now, if it weren’t for your letters.

If I can do anything in return, let me know. I can send another care package, if needed.

Keep safe and well.

Irene

No extractions, no missions, and no enemy fire. It had been a quiet month, which meant that their last mission had demoralized the enemy, or they were plotting. Either way the troops still had to stay intact and ready at any moment, and the stress of not doing anything was almost as bad as the stress of doing something.

Tom was looking through his room, going through his bag, rifling through the pictures that had been sent. He saw Nathanial coming in and stood up and squinted at him. “Hey Davis! You see my letter?”

He pronounced it “ledder”.

Nate slowed to a standstill. “Your ‘ledder’? You been drinking, Captain?”

“Have you seen it or not? Smartass.” Tom started looking through his stuff again, sure that he had it somewhere.

Nate strolled over to his bag and fished around. “Yeah, I got it.” He peeked at the pages and made sure that he was only pulling out the first letter, not the second or third ones. “Here juggernaut. The letter.” He handed it over, not bothering to get up and cross the few feet between them.

“Why the fuck do you have it?”

Nate shrugged. “I wrote her that thank you letter that you told me to, remember?” He began to unzip his boots and pull them off. “You think she’ll send us anymore goodies?”

Tom just shot him a look and sat down heavily, then began to reread the letter by the light of the battery lantern. He looked at the date and realized it had almost been three months. Three months? How had the time passed so quickly? He felt the pain in his back shoot down his leg and glanced up to see what Nate was doing. The sergeant had pulled off his dress blouse and boots and laid down, turning on his side to block his eyes from the light.

Tom reached into his pocket and pulled out a couple of pain pills, popping them in his mouth. He had hurt himself a while back, probably four missions ago, and didn’t want to have that stop him from continuing the tour. Luckily, Gutierrez was good at getting them whatever they needed, and she had happily supplied him the oxycontin. As he swallowed, he went over the lines Irene had written so long ago.

He owed her a letter. Hell, he owed her more than that. He owed her everything, and possibly honesty… but Tom didn’t know exactly how he felt. Maybe she deserved to know that, too. He picked up a pen and scrounged around for a writing tablet, then began to write down the words he needed to say.

Dear Irene,

I don’t know why I haven’t written to you yet.

He paused. What could he say to her? How would he say it? He felt the tinge in his back again and reached over under his bunk. He screwed off the cap of a Jack Daniel’s bottle and took a drink, then secreted it under the bunk again.

I don’t know if I want to be married yet.

I know we’ve been together forever, and you’re the right one for me. You’re perfect. But the truth is that I was feeling like this for a while, but I didn’t want to screw up something that was so good. Then when you took that test and now there’s a chance that you could have cancer - I felt trapped.

That’s selfish of me to say, Irene. The thing is, I do love you. I do. I’m just not ready to get married. Our moms can do nothing but talk about weddings when I’m home. You have dreams and I do too, and maybe we need to just wait. I’m not saying break up. I love you and I don’t want to lose you. There’s just things that I want to do with life, and it doesn’t all include being home and joining the squad like my dad and yours did. Now that I’ve seen the world I want to explore it. I want you to see it too.

Listen, we’re going to be somewhere we can Skype on May 12th. I don’t know what time, exactly. If it’s possible I want to see you.

I love you. I may not be ready to be married yet, but when I am, I want it to be you.

Love always,

Tom

He slid the folded letter into an envelop and addressed it by heart. He’d spent as much time at her place as his own. They’d practically lived together, except for the actually living together part. The next morning he sent out the letter, and he couldn’t think of anything else for the next few days.

~*~*~

“So what’s this mean? We’re shipping out?” Some of the guys on the squad looked at Tom like he had grown a second head.

“No, it means that the powers-that-be want to change some of the teams around, and ours is one of them.” He worried at a nail, frowning at the orders he’d just read. He dropped his hand. “It’s probably got something to do with some other team, not us. And maybe it’s temporary.”

“That’s bullshit,” Nate argued. “We’ve trained together, we’ve fought together, hell – we know who’s been in the shitter by the smell. They break our teams up and suddenly, we don’t know who’s got our backs anymore. It’s inefficient and it’ll cost us lives.”

“Drama queen, anyone?” Tom raised an eyebrow. “We got our orders Sergeant Davis. They’ve moved some of over to another unit and reassigned our duties. They give the orders, we follow them.” He shifted the weight on his feet to ease his back. He took a drink of his water and folded the orders. “You all know where you need to go.”

The other men in their squad filed out after a few brief ‘catch you laters’ and ‘don’t suck out there and make us look bads’. Once they were gone Nate and Tom exchanged a glance.

“So,” Nate folded his orders and slid them into his pocket. “Looks like you and me are the only ones staying here?”

“Yep.” Tom leaned a hand on the table. “Either we’re doing okay or we’re fucked. Either way, we’re getting a new group of goons to figure out. Think you’re up to it?”

“Always Captain.” He walked past the man and gave him a friendly slap on the back as he did. Tom flinched. “Hey,” Nate slowed and turned around. “You okay?”

“Yeah, just a little jumpy,” Tom replied. “Not looking forward to the new crew.”

Nathanial accepted the excuse and went to the mess hall.

The mail distributer waved him down, then handed him a thick letter. “Looks like a fucking book in there,” he teased. “Hot and heavy?”

“No, nothing like that.” But he found that he couldn’t wait to get his food and sit down and read. The sight of Irene’s handwriting on the envelope gave him something to look forward to, and as his dinner cooled on the tray, he went over every paragraph at least three times.

Later that night he sat down and wrote another letter, and in the morning it was on it’s way to Irene.

Dear Irene,

I’m glad you told your parents. If they’re anything like you, they’re very brave people. The best thing to have in any battle is a buddy – someone to shoulder the downs with and celebrate when you’re up.

I think that Tom’s a good guy, and he certainly deserves a woman like you. We’re going through some changes with our units right now, difficult changes, but I have him as my commander and he’s got our best interests at heart. I’m sure he does for the two of you, too. Give him time. God knows I’ve made some horrible mistakes too.

I guess I should explain myself. I got married when I was twenty to a great woman, but I wasn’t much of a husband to her. I worked with Gramps dusting crops in his old Bell, it’s a kind of helicopter. Well, to be honest with you, I was a fucked-up mess. Drinking a lot, too much. I wrecked the duster because I was hung over, and that started sinking the business.

Then, because I was a complete idiot, I kept drinking.

And, though I didn’t do time for it – I should have – I caused my wife’s death. Michelle died because I was buzzed and didn’t see the stop sign. I drove that road every day, but we were arguing about my drinking and it was raining, and I drove right through that intersection and killed her.

I never told anyone but Gramps. I didn’t have enough alcohol in my system to go to jail for it. They blamed it on the rain, but I know the truth. It was me.

So whatever Tom is doing right now, it’s not as bad as it could be, Irene.

I don’t drink any more, so if you still invite me to your wedding, I’ll be sipping soda. I can never bring her back or undo what I did. I was too fucked up to be much use to Gramps, so I joined the Army, and that’s how I came to meet your Tom. To be fair, I did it to save myself from me. They gave me the structure I needed to get through the worst of the guilt.

I’d do anything to go back in time and undo that night.

You save people. You have a wonderful purpose, and even though you can’t save everyone, you’re there for them when they need you. I admire that. I hope that your doctors are the best, and that you get through this and come out of it stronger and braver than you ever thought possible.

Your letters mean a lot to me. Even if I don’t get another one, I keep them someplace safe. Except the first one – Tom has that one. I haven’t told him about the others. I don’t know why.

If you want to send another care package, I suppose the things that the unit would want most are reminders of home. The other things are great, but we have a fantastic logistics officer who has been getting us things through some of her unconventional means, so they’re good. They would probably want other things; Sports illustrated, gossip magazines, candies. They’re all just kids playing soldiers and fighting a battle that they don’t understand. I guess we all are.

Take care of yourself, Irene.

Nate

P.S. May 12th we are scheduled to have access to an internet computer. I hope you get to talk to Tom and tell him face-to-face. Be brave.

He almost tore up the letter and started over, but he stared at the words he had written for a long time and decided to send it as-is. He almost couldn’t believe he had written that confession down. Something about telling her felt right, though, and even if it was just one more step in the grieving process, he knew he had to send it.

And so he did.

Getting a plastic surgeon on board had been much harder than Irene had initially thought it would be. Appointments were hard to come by, and three of the surgeons on her list had to be crossed off simply because she wouldn’t be able to see them for several months. Her mother insisted that she see at least two professionals, wanting to have a choice rather than picking the first one willing to take the case. She managed to get two appointments scheduled for the month of April, one in the third week and the other on the last day of the month.

It was before that first appointment that Irene received a letter from Tom.

At first, she didn’t recognize the handwriting. It was sloppier than Tom’s usual penmanship, and she wondered why it was written like that. Perhaps he had been in a moving vehicle when he finally found the time to write to her?

Regardless, she had been so excited to hear from him that she tore open the envelope right at the mailbox, unfolding the singular page. As she read what he had to say, the smile on her lips slowly faded until her disappointment was evident on her face. While she appreciated him taking the time to write it out, this was not the letter she had been expecting.

He didn’t want to settle down when he came back. He felt trapped.

But he still loved her and wanted to be with her.

To travel the world, though? What did he mean by that? Like backpacking through Europe for a month or two or take a couple of one- to two-week trips here and there? The latter was more feasible, with her work, because as much as she loved Tom, she couldn’t see herself quitting her job and forfeiting her dream to go around the world with him.

A knot formed in her throat as tears filled her eyes. Frustrated by the show of emotion--she was never this much of a crybaby--she wiped them away with the back of her hand before heading up the walkway.

May 12th was in a month. She wanted to tell him about her diagnosis then. It just didn’t make sense to write a letter and send it with the news because by the time she would get his reply, they’d be looking at each other through a screen. Being there for his reaction was important to her.

Irene was just making her way up the steps to the front porch when she heard someone pull into her driveway. Turning on the top step, she saw that it was her father’s old pick-up, but Ben and Blake were in the front seat.

Whatever despair she had been feeling at the moment disappeared, a grin overtaking her face.

“Hey, Sis.” Ben stuck his head out of the driver’s side window. “Miss us?”

Irene rolled her eyes before heading back down the steps and walkway. “What are you two doing here? Don’t you have finals you should be studying for?” She stopped in the grass, at the edge of the pebbled drive, her hands on her hips.

“See? I told you she wouldn’t want to see us,” Blake said from beside his twin brother, hitting his arm with the back of his hand.

“Relax,” Ben drawled. “Finals aren’t until the end of the month.”

“And Missy’s Sweets is open now,” Blake said, opening the side door and getting out. He walked around the front of the truck, taking off the cap he wore and placed it backwards on Irene’s head. “So you’re coming with us.”

“You’re not doing anything right now, right? Ma said it was your day off.”

“I’m not, but I’m still a bit surprised to see you home, party animals you are,” Irene lightly teased, lifting the hat off her head and turning it forward.

“Rude.”

“Here we are, being good brothers, offering our older sister a partially paid ice cream cone…”

“Partially paid?” She lifted a brow at them.

“Hey, we’re college kids. We don’t make the big bucks you do,” Ben said with a laugh. “So are you coming or what?”

The twins never did things like this, not to say they were bad siblings or anything like that, but ever since they were in high school, the two of them were social butterflies. They hardly spent time at home, and when they did, a group of their friends always followed. In truth, Irene was happy for them. They were awkward middle schoolers that occasionally were bullied for their shyness, so to see them really come into their own made her feel like she could finally stop worrying about them. Didn’t mean she did stop, but she could.

Since college started, they didn’t visit much. On occasion, they’d come for birthdays or get-togethers. A dinner here and there.

But just to take her for ice cream? Either something was up or…

“Sure. I’m never one to turn down partially free ice cream.” She kept her tone upbeat, wrapping her arm around Blake’s back--they towered over her these days--and let him walk with her over to the passenger side. Once in the truck, she placed her mail in her purse and waited for her other brother to close the door behind him. “So when did Ma tell you?”

The mood instantly turned solemn, and Ben turned down the music playing on the radio.

“Told you we were being obvious,” he said to his twin over Irene’s head. He then softened his gaze as he looked at his sister. “She told us a couple of days ago. She was trying to get us to come home for the weekend, and we weren’t budging.”

“So you came home to cheer me up?” she questioned, looking from Ben to Blake.

“That, and we do really miss you,” Blake said with a wide grin, wrapping an arm around her shoulders as the truck began to back out of the driveway. “We just forget sometimes.”

“I get it. College is a fun time. You should enjoy it.” Irene never blamed them for wanting to be away from home. She did the exact same thing when she was their age.

“It is, but you’re a fun time, too,” Ben said once they were on the road, his hand going back to the dial to turn up the volume. He had a popular country station on, and Midland’s song “Drinkin’ Problem” filled the car.

Both boys joined in, knowing the lyrics by heart, and while she didn’t know whether or not they were purposefully sounding tone deaf, they were making her laugh.

~*~*~​
The boys dropped her back home after having dinner at their parents’, and Irene hugged them both, thanking them for taking her out. She honestly needed it, and she hadn’t realized just how much she had missed them. Ben told her that he’d be back the following weekend, and he was hoping to take her with him to their Uncle’s farm. Blake had baseball practice, so he wouldn’t be able to join them. It was still something for her to look forward to; they hadn’t been to visit their uncle in ages.

Once she had gotten into the house, she decided that she would write something to Tom. It wouldn’t be fair of her to make him wait, considering what he had written in his letter. Fortunately, because she intended to talk to him over Skype on May 12th, she kept her response short and was able to write it relatively quickly before getting ready for work the next day.
Dear Tom,

I must admit your letter came as a bit of a surprise, but regardless, I was happy to hear from you.

I just don’t understand why it took you this long to tell me that you wanted to wait. When you were home, it must have been so uncomfortable with both our families, and I assumed that it was because you wanted to do one more tour that you didn’t propose. I was fine with that. I’ve waited this long, and I can wait longer, if you need time. I know there’s pressure from a lot of people to settle down, but it saddens me that you didn’t feel safe enough to come to me with this.

I love you so much. I don’t want to lose you either, but please, talk to me when you have something heavy like this on your shoulders. I know I haven’t always been completely honest or forthright in the past, and I’m still working on it. Maybe we can do that together because I want us to be able to feel comfortable enough to tell each other anything.

As for seeing the world, I understand. I’ll gladly join you, but I need more clarification on what that means. I can’t exactly take months off and go fly somewhere with you. I have a career. But I am willing to make it work. I don’t want to break up either.

And there is something I really need to talk with you about when we have that Skype call. I know I could have written it here or written it in a separate letter to you, but I just really want to tell you face-to-face. Well, as face-to-face as we can get. I understand if this makes you feel a bit upset with me, saying that I have something to tell you and putting it off, but please just have some patience.

Take care of yourself. Stay safe.

I love you, too.

Irene

She sent out the letter the next day, wondering if she was doing the right thing. In some ways, she was being a hypocrite by telling him to speak with her about things that weigh on him when she was still keeping her diagnosis to herself. Also, she wasn’t certain about their future. She didn’t lie when she said she loved him or that she wanted to stay together, but depending on where they both saw their lives going…

Irene had to stop that train of thought before it went somewhere too upsetting to handle, and for the next week or so, she focused on other things. One of them being the fact she would have to take some time off after the surgery. She had drafted an email to her boss, describing the circumstances she was currently facing. Fortunately, despite being a bit intimidating when he was actually around, he was pretty understanding once he had received the email; he’d give her the leave she needed, but she would have to make it up. Irene had been prepared for that. After all, you had to have a certain number of hours as a resident in the specialty you wanted before you could sit for your boards.

She continued to work. That was the plan. She would do so up until the surgery, and then she’d hopefully be ready to go back to work within a month or two. Unfortunately, with these surgeries, everyone recovered differently, and there really wasn’t a set timeline as to how long she would have to rest post-operation.

It was about a week after she had sent out Tom’s letter that she received another. This time, from Nathaniel. Also very excited to hear from him, she ran her finger underneath the sealed flap, still standing in front of her mailbox.

The contents had been heartbreaking, to say the least. She could tell just how much regret he felt from the way he wrote his story, and while she could see why he blamed himself, from the sounds of it, he was just a kid. Twenty, even though it wasn’t that uncommon, was young to be married. And she remembered when she first started to drink, enjoying the buzz it would bring. It was easy to get addicted to that, and while she never had, she knew plenty of people that, to this day, had problems with learning when to stop. Her mother being one of them.

Already, she knew what she wanted to say to Nathaniel; she just hoped she wasn’t overstepping. The fact that he had shared something this private with her meant a lot to Irene, and the last thing she wanted to do was make him wish he hadn’t.

Once inside her home, she put the rest of the mail on her kitchen counter, keeping the letter in her hand. The paper she had taken from her desk to use for Tom’s response was still out on the breakfast table--a testament to just how busy her last week had been. She grabbed the pile, not too sure how long this was going to turn out; sometimes knowing what she felt needed to be said translated into something different (and in most cases longer) in ink.

It was a nice, sunny day out, so she decided to sit on the back porch, using a magazine to write over.

April 20th, 2020

Dear Nate,

I think I should start off by saying that I’m writing this before I get the care package together, so I honestly don’t know what I’m sending you guys to a tee. However, I do appreciate the suggestions that you gave. Knowing what you want makes it a lot easier for me to get something that actually will be useful to you in some way. I have off tomorrow, so I’ll take my mother with me. If she knew it was because you asked for some things, she’d love you forever. She’s a bit of a shopaholic.

Also, thank you for saying all that about my job and hoping I’ll get through this with the best doctors. I really appreciate that. Fortunately, it’s looking like this won’t be too much of a big deal, so I’m trying to keep positive about it, too. My family has been great with that; my brothers actually came home last week and took me out, which was something I really, really needed.

But you should know that I do admire what you and Tom do as well. It takes a special kind of person to go out and risk their life for others. I could never do what you do. The training, the discipline, the missions. All of it. I try not to imagine what you guys go through on the daily because I wouldn’t be able to handle it. I would worry too much.

You know what you’re doing, though, so I have no doubt that you’ll make it through.

As for what you told me about your past, it was heartbreaking to read. You’ve had a lot of loss in your life for such a young guy. (I’m assuming you’re about Tom’s age.) I’ve been fortunate to not lose anyone close to me. I’ve had patients die on me, which is painful in itself, and I don’t even know them that well. I cannot pretend to understand what that was like, losing your wife the way you did, so I may be overstepping here. I’m sorry if I do.

I don’t know how old you were when you lost her, but early twenties is young. You don’t think it when you live through it, and I’m not that far past it...However, you’re still learning a lot about what it means to be an adult. And you’re trying all these new things, namely alcohol, while also gaining more responsibility than you’ve ever had before. It’s tough when you haven’t experienced that yet. I’m not trying to say that driving while tipsy was okay or drinking as much as you did was okay because it’s not. And yes, you should have stopped at that stop sign.

But I can tell just how much you regret it. That if you knew earlier, before you got into the vehicle, what would happen, you wouldn’t have had x number of drinks. And afterwards, you took action to prevent that from happening again. You learned your lesson. At a great cost. At a very great cost, but it wasn’t wasted. Some people would still drink and drive after that.

As you said, we all make mistakes, but I think you should start trying to forgive yourself for that one. I can’t speak for Michelle. I don’t know her or her life up to that point, but if it were me, I’d want that for you. Beating yourself up about it for the rest of your life is no way to live. Believe me, I know. I’ve made mistakes as a resident. Dangerous mistakes. The kind that can kill. But all I can do is try not to make the same mistake again. Torturing myself over it just makes it easier for me to make a different error because my mind isn’t focused on what I’m doing at that point. Instead, I’m too busy thinking about what I did.

I don’t know if that made any sense, but it did in my head. Somehow, putting it on paper is a bit harder than I thought it would be.

Thank you for sharing with me, though. I know that takes a lot of courage to do, especially when it’s something that personal. Hopefully, it helped you in some way? I know telling you about the cancer diagnosis, looking back, was a bit cathartic. You were the first person I told, but finally telling someone lifted so much of the burden. And your advice was sound. I can only hope mine was as well.

Stay safe. Hope to hear from you again.

Irene

P.S., I don’t know if Tom told you, but he sent me a letter prior to your response. Things are still a bit shaky, but I’m hoping it will be better once we actually have a conversation about everything. I responded to him, but still intend to tell him about the diagnosis over the Skype call. Thank you for all your help and support!

Irene read over the text twice before turning back to what Nate wrote and giving it another once over. Had she addressed everything she felt like she needed to? Was she being a bit too much in everything she had said? This was a sensitive topic; it would be for anyone, and she could only hope that she hadn’t ruined their friendship by saying something she probably had no business saying.

Deciding it might be best to sleep on it--she could mail it before going out with her mother--she brought everything back into the house. After addressing and stamping an envelope to have ready, Irene set to making herself something to eat for dinner.

After another read the next day, she deemed it good enough. She was taking a risk, but it was her honest opinion. She couldn’t change that. So the letter went into the mailbox, and Irene tried not to think too much about it as she spent the rest of her day driving her mother about to different stores. While she had been focused on getting things for the care package, her mother would occasionally stray, finding something for herself that she liked.

In the end, Irene had spent almost as much as her mother had. She had bought a bunch of magazines, sticking to things she thought men might be interested in: Sports Illustrated, Men’s Health. Her mother suggested throwing in a few PlayBoy or Maxim issues, much to Irene’s surprise. She also got a few different paperback books for them to read and playing cards. Also included were a bunch of different varieties of candy, avoiding chocolate or anything that might suffer in heat. Gum was another thing she had picked up. Marshmallows and hot cocoa packets were things Tom had mentioned he missed when he returned from his last tour. At one point, her mother threw in a couple of fluffy towels, saying she had read somewhere that the towels they were provided with were often uncomfortable.

Finding a box to fit all of this in had been difficult, so Irene separated it over a few. One included all the foodstuffs: candy, snacks, granola bars. She separated the towels and reading material between two bigger boxes, distributing the weight. Being on the shorter side with very little upper arms strength meant she had to think smart about how she was going to carry these.

Just before her next shift, she dropped everything off at the post office. She hadn’t bothered writing a note inside. The return address had her name on it, so they’d know who it was from, not that it really mattered. All Irene cared about was that it reached them and gave them something to smile about on their days off.

Toms' platoon was going through a lot of changes; he had people moved around for reasons that were not shared with him, and he was beginning to wonder if he had done something to warrant the changes. No matter what the reason was, the saying that shit flows uphill usually rang true.

As a result he was short-tempered and had trouble focusing. The pain seemed to take more and more Oxy to keep it at bay, and that week Gutierrez hadn't been able to get as much under-the-table relief to him as he felt he needed, which made him even more irritable. He'd even been called to task for it by one of his lieutenants, through it was in private, the officer's concerns and comments were valid. Still, being forced to look at your own actions, by a lower-ranking officer, was humiliating. When he went to ask Gutierrez for more pain meds she was unsympathetic. Her eyes less flirty. Something had changed. He didn't know what it was, but it was starting to piss him off.

When Nate strolled into the room and dropped a letter on his desk he almost snapped at him, but when the sergeant pointed at the "from" section, Tom's mood instantly changed. The fact that she wrote back after his last letter was a good sign. If she had gotten mad at him she might have just ghosted him until he returned. He picked up the letter and looked at it, then started to open the flap. When he noticed that Nate was still standing there he scowled. "Get the fuck out, Sarge. This one's private."

"Okay," Nate grinned back and then left, making kissy faces at the Captain, who promptly flipped him off.

Nate had recognized the handwriting immediately and did feel a little... something... when he saw that it wasn't addressed to him, but he was glad that Tom was getting letters from his fiancee. It was a good sign that they might be talking again, and talking led to understanding, which could lead to that engagement that hadn't happened, but was expected. He walked down to the maintenance bay to check out what was happening with their transport trucks. He waved at a few of the NCOs and then checked with the wrench warriors, taking note of the items they had remaining and their ETAs. One of the trucks was usable, but barely. The other two would have to go about another week, and that was only if their parts were available.

He looked at his notes. "What if you cannibalized them to make one usable truck, then we're only one down for the week?"

"What are you talking about?" The PFC scooted out from under the Hummer he was working on, and squinted up at him.

"Well, we have a cracked axle in one and a blown water pump in the other. Right?" When the mechanic nodded, Nate continued. "So take the good water pump out of the truck with the cracked axle and put in in the truck that needs it. Then when the parts come in, put the new water pump and axle in the dead truck."

"I don't know that I can do that..."

"I'll sign for it." Nate nodded at him. "If anyone gets in trouble it's all on me, okay?" That seemed to relieve the man, and soon their second truck was in the work bay and just a couple of hours from being usable.

Lieutenant Gutierrez spotted Nathan and waved him over. "Hey, Lt. Colonel's looking for you. I'd step it up." She grinned at him and then sing-songed "Someone's in trou-ble."

"Yeah, only with you, gorgeous." He started to turn to go to the command tent when she grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"Hey, is Tom doing okay?"

"What do you mean?" He waited for her to take down her hand, but she kept it there. She outranked him, so... it was awkward.

"I mean, has he been okay lately? Is he acting normal?"

"That's only something the medics can tell, and I'm not them." He shrugged. "If you're worried about something go ask him."

"You're not a lot of help," she said, finally dropping her hand. "Hope the colonel doesn't get mad that you kept her waiting."

"Yeah... thanks for that." He gave her a quick salute and high-tailed it to the tent. Worse case scenario, Gutierrez was fucking with him and no one wanted to see him. Best case... well, there wasn't a best case.

~ * ~ * ~
A couple of days later Tom sat down and wrote to Irene. He had to let her letter sit with him a while and decide how to respond. What harm could a few days do? As he wrote, he kept looking back at her letter and smiling to himself, thankful that she'd responded the way she had.

Dear Irene,

Thank you for understanding. It means everything to me, to hear you say that you do, and that you love me too. I've never been good with words, but you have always understood me. I won't hold anything like that from you again. I promise.

I've gotten a fresh group of people and a few old ones rotated around in my teams. It was unexpected, but it's for the best. You'll be glad to know that I'll also be reassigned to a less treacherous post, so everyone back home can breath easy. I can't say exactly where it is, but I can tell you that there are a lot more friendlies in my new assignment. I'm looking forward to more peaceful nights for the next half plus of this tour.

I'm still planning on seeing you on May 12th. I hope you can make it.
Whatever you have to tell me, we're in this together.

I love you,

Tom

It didn't matter to him that she had asked him to not keep secrets, but she had something to tell him - later. Good marriages sometimes had to keep secrets from each other, for each other, and with each other. It was all about timing. He understood it and he didn't mind waiting for her little surprise. Besides, he had a surprise of his own for her, and he was pretty sure she was going to like it.

~ * ~ * ~

Nathanial saw the letter as soon as he entered his room and snatched it up. He didn't realize how much he was hoping to hear from her again, but there it was. He was about to open it when Tom walked in. Nate picked up a couple of other papers and shuffled them together, then picked up his hat as if he was about to leave.

"Hey, Davis." Tom smiled at him. "Eager to leave us, huh? I heard congratulations were in order."

"What?" Nate's mind was focused on Irene. He had no clue what his commander was referring to, but guilt over writing his buddy's fiancee flushed over him like a cold wind.

Tom paused. 'You're shitting me, right?"

"I'm not sure what - "

"Flight school, you idiot!" He grinned and smacked Nate on the arm. "I have to admit, I was pissed I was gonna be loosing you, but this is good news for you." He showed him the squad orders. "I'm getting a new Sergeant and you're going to Alabama! I gotta buy you a beer." He shook Nate's shoulders in a good-natured way and smacked him on the back. "Good job Davis. I always knew you had plans, but this is something else."

"Yeah, thanks Captain." He stood there for a moment, then remembered his ruse of leaving so that he could read Irene's letter. "Well... I gotta go," he waved the papers in his hands. "Never a dull moment."

Nathanial found a quiet corner in the compound and put a rock on the other papers so they wouldn't blow away, then opened her letter and read through it quickly, then slowly. Then slowly again.

He didn't know what to write back to her. It was the first time when he didn't go straight to the notebook and write, but that was because he thought that Tom might still be there and he felt a little bad to be writing his fiancee-to-be. Maybe. A few hours later he stole an hour and wrote back to her by the light of a battery lantern.

May 2, 2020
Dear Irene,

I was really glad to get your letter, and your advice is spot on. It's what the counselor told me, and I guess I just never 'heard' it when I was told it, but I hear it now. Thank you.

We haven't gotten your packages yet, but they're probably a few days out. Sometimes that happens when there's a big shipment. We've been waiting for vehicle parts for three weeks now. The military mail system can't compete with Amazon! Whatever you send will be well received by the teams, I'm sure. And tell your mom that I'm glad I gave her an excuse to shop. That's what my mom used to call 'bonding time', but dad used to say that she was just bonding with the credit card, ha!

Anyway, I wanted to let you know that I won't be there at the Skype call on May 12th. I've got orders and I'm shipping out on the 3rd. I feel a little guilty leaving my unit and all the good men and women here. I went for a long shot and got it, so I have to go now or never. I'll worry about them, though, and miss some of them. It's hard to leave because everyone fills a hole here, and when you go someone else has to carry that burden until it's redistributed. I feel guilty too, because you usually don't get to leave during times like this, but they have a shortage of helicopter pilots and I have experience, plus combat training, so I'm a safer bet for the Army than someone off the streets.

I'm being sent to flight school in Fort Rucker, Alabama. I'm leaving here on May 3rd and I have a week to see my Gramps and get myself mentally prepared to shift gears. It should be fun, but I'll also be going against a bunch of young bucks, so I'm sure they'll have fun with the 'old guy'. I"m almost 28, by the way. I guess not too old, but I only have 5 years left where I can pursue this or age out.

My number when I get stateside is 912-555-6462. I don't have my new address yet, but if you want to write again, my grandfather's address is:
Mail Route 52, Box 8
Allenhurst, Ga. 31301

He'll make sure your letter gets to me.

I want to tell you so much more, but I have to pack and fill out paperwork. I'll write you when I'm state side. I hope that your appointment goes well and that your family is there to keep you positive through this next chapter of your treatment and healing. I wish I could be there to support you. I trust that Tom will be. You picked a good guy, Irene. He's damn lucky to have you on his team.

Your friend,

SSgt Nathanial Davis

When he dropped the letter in the mailbox he couldn't shake the feeling that he was doing something wrong. After all, he had hid the letter from Tom, and if there had been nothing wrong he wouldn't have done that, would he. He pushed aside the feelings of uncertainty and concentrated on what he needed to do to finalize the paperwork, and then he caught a ride on a truck with a cannibalized water pump and rode to the extraction point.

A date for the surgery was finally set. Irene thought she would feel some relief, knowing that everything was settled and that her prognosis looked good, but in truth, she just felt antsy. Her anxiety dulled any excitement she had about the 12th of May and finally seeing Tom after nearly five months. While, yes, she couldn’t wait to talk to him, she also had to relay the news that she had been putting off telling him for so long. It didn’t seem like he had thought she did have cancer. In the one letter he had sent at the beginning of April, he only mentioned feeling trapped when she started going for testing; he didn’t even ask how that had turned out or how she was.

Maybe, if he had, she would have just told him in her response, but, then again, maybe he expected her to just tell him something that important, that he shouldn’t have to ask.

Thinking about it made her feel guilty, so she kept Tom’s letter in its envelope, hidden away in her desk drawer. She couldn’t bring herself to re-read it like she would occasionally with Nathaniel’s letters; they were kept in an old shoebox that she put in her nightstand’s bottom drawer. She had moved them there once she had more than two, figuring it would be a regular thing, and if her mother--nosy woman she was--did happen to go into her room at some point, Irene doubted she would go through a beat-up cardboard box that had once contained sandals.

There were a couple of times that Irene wondered if keeping in touch with Nate was wrong. She hadn’t told anyone about it. Jenna knew she had responded to his first letter, but when asked what became of it, Irene had just shrugged and said he was probably busy, like Tom. Knowing her friend, she’d start to read too much into it, and Irene wasn’t sure she wanted to go down that road. As far as she was concerned, there was nothing wrong with writing to him. Their exchanges were completely platonic; it wasn’t like she was cheating on Tom.

And yet, even with those assurances, a part of her felt like what she was doing was somehow betraying her boyfriend. If he asked, she’d tell him. That was the kind of person she was, but more than that, logistically, it was like having a pen pal. One that just so happened to become a friend.

Her parents and Tom’s had asked if he had ever thanked them for the care package. At the time, all Irene could do was lie, saying that he had sent a letter home, but it was too private for her to share. To that, her mother asked what could be so private, but fortunately, her father was there to shut her up. Making up the contents of a letter that had never come from Tom would have been too hard.

When Irene had actually heard from him, she made sure to share that with their families, knowing it would be a comfort to them. She didn’t, however, share what he had to say. That was something she and Tom would both have to talk about together before bringing it up to their parents. They would likely be disappointed, but Irene had meant it when she said she would stick by him. She didn’t know what that would entail; she just hoped they would both would end up happy, somehow.

Other than a few instances here and there, her parents didn’t ask about Tom much. Their focus had been mainly on helping her through this difficult time. With her mother’s help, Irene had selected a plastic surgeon that she liked; she was well-known and highly regarded by most of her patients. After the initial appointment, they had a second one, and it was during that meeting that they went over the details of what Irene wanted. Nothing crazy. An implant on the right so that it would match her left, which would be reconstructed after the tumor had been removed. If the worst case scenario played out, and she would lose both breasts, she would get two implants.

After all that was decided, she visited with Dr. Rosen again. This time, her mother did join her, and a date was settled for the surgery. May 18th was the soonest he could do, and when Irene agreed to it, they started going over all the information and instructions she needed. The whole time, her mother held her hand, listening intently to what the doctor had to say, and again, Irene was struck by how fortunate she was to have her here with her.

As April came to a close and the date of her surgery loomed just a couple weeks away, Irene felt the pressure to tell others. There would only be about a week between when she intended on telling Tom and the actual procedure, but the other people in her life would just have to deal with that. If anyone besides her family deserved to know about the cancer, it was Tom, and she would tell him before saying anything to anyone else at this point.

Of course, that excluded his parents. Apparently, her mother couldn’t keep anything from Lilly, and it wasn’t too long after Ben and Blake found out that she found her future in-laws at her door. Tom’s mother was in tears, and Irene did her best to console her while his father stood by awkwardly. In the end, she had them for dinner; fortunately, she had enough food prepared to share, and Tom’s father liked the same beer as his son.

She called her mother after they left, furious, but Donna insisted that they were family.

May 12th came pretty suddenly, not that Irene wasn’t looking forward to it. She couldn’t wait to see Tom and, possibly, Nate. However, she had thrown herself into work--which had gotten quite busy--to forget about the anxiety she felt. Telling Tom about her diagnosis and the surgery made her nervous; she kept playing out different scenarios in her mind of how the conversation would go, and while some ended on a more positive note, most had Tom freaking out in them. It was her guilty conscience torturing her, but she couldn’t imagine relaying this news in a letter; she still stood by her decision to wait until they were face-to-face.

Tom’s letter did make her feel a bit better. It had come on the 10th, and at first, before she had read the return address, she had mistaken it for Nate’s response; ever since she had sent her last reply to him, she worried how he would react to what she had said. And while she was overjoyed to see that Tom had taken the time to write to her again, she also felt a pang of disappointment. She reminded herself that her boyfriend probably responded to her before Nate even got his reply, so she wouldn’t have to worry...yet.

Irene didn’t have time to write to Tom before the 12th, and even if she had, it wasn’t like he would get her letter before then. She had taken the day of the Skype call off and managed to move her schedule around to allow her to have the night before off as well. His time was ahead of hers, so walking in the door at eight-thirty in the morning, looking and feeling like a wreck, was not exactly how she wanted to greet him. Instead, she had a full night’s rest and got up early enough to get a shower in.

Wanting to look nice for him, she spent some time considering what to wear. It was odd. Normally, she didn’t really pay that much more attention to her appearance around Tom; he had seen her at her worst and best already, and considering the nature of her job, she did dress up most days. The only times she really put in some extra effort were special occasions, and she supposed this Skype call could fall into that category.

In the end, she picked a dress he had complimented once or twice before. It was nothing too special, just a white sundress that she wore to a family member’s retirement party as well as on a date with Tom. She then brushed out her hair and did some light make-up, going a little fancier than usual with a bolder lip color and a little bit of mascara. It was stuff she didn’t expect Tom to notice, but she did it anyways.

At seven in the morning, Irene sat in the kitchen with her laptop open and a warm cup of tea next to her. Tom’s last letter was open in her lap. She logged into Skype, taking note that he wasn’t online yet, and allowed herself to relax back into the chair. Her stomach was in knots, but she managed to swallow a bit of the hot beverage, inhaling and exhaling slowly afterwards.

It was just Tom. They had been together since they were teenagers. He knew things about her that no one did, and yet, she felt so...unsettled. It bothered her, wondering why, so she did her best to ignore it, picking up her phone to entertain herself with that until he was online.

May 7, 2020

Nate leaned against the fence railing and looked at his gramps. Though the man had lived a hard life and lived through the deaths of his wife and both sons, he had a strong love of life. Even now, with the sun rising over the trees, a warm cup of coffee in his hand, and his great-nephew-turned-third-son standing next to him, he had a strong love of life. Even now, with the sun rising over the trees, a warm cup of coffee in his hand, and his great-nephew-turned-third-son standing next to him, he still had a reason to smile.

“You done good, Nate.” He smacked a hand on the young man’s shoulder. “These years have been hard on you and me both, but I think we’re going to get through this okay.” He took a sip and watched the rays of light begin to illuminate the trees.

“Yeah, me too.” Nate took a drink of his own coffee and fingered the sealed envelope in his hand. “I’m glad I got to visit with you before I started.”

“I’m not gonna lie, Nate. I’m glad to see you getting off the ground again. And seeing you is a hell of a lot better than looking at you through some damn T.V. screen.”

“It’s a computer, Pop.” He grinned.

“I know, but it’s not the same as seeing you face-to-face.” He sipped again, then motioned towards the envelope. “Is that something you want me to mail out for you?”

Nate handed him the envelope. “If you don’t mind.”

The man’s eyes scanned the address and his eyebrows rose knowingly. “Irene, is it?”

“She’s just a friend.”

“Did you meet her over there?” He noticed that the return address was his own.

“Sort of. I met her through someone.” Nate smiled and finished his coffee. “It’s not like that, though. She’s just a friend. A pen-pal, kind of.”

“You ever meet this pen-pal? You’ve heard of catfishin’, haven’t you?” His smile went all the way up to his eyes.

“No, not yet. I have a picture,” he pulled out his wallet and handed his gramps the small portrait Irene had sent him. “And how do you know about catfishing?”

“I know a few things. I’m not dead yet.” As he looked at the picture, “Pops” Joe Burnett rubbed at his beard, mulling over the new information. “Seems kind of interesting that you’d carry around your pen-pal’s picture, but okay. She’s a cute one, though.” He handed it back, and they began to walk towards the farmhouse. “You take care of yourself, Son, and know that I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks, Pop.” Nate put an arm around the man and gave him a hug, then handed the coffee back to him. “I couldn’t have done it without you.”

“Family takes care of family.”

Nate gave him one more hug before getting into his car and making the drive to Alabama. His letter would arrive at the same time as his previous one; the afternoon of May 12, 2020.

***(Reminder to me to ‘send’ the letter after the Skype call.)

~ * ~ * ~

“You better get over there, Captain, the window’s about to close.” The lieutenant looked down at his clipboard and pointed over to the empty seat in front of one of the computer stations. He sat down and logged into Skype.

According to the clock on the wall, it was almost 11am in the Georgia time zone. He’d been busy all day and had almost forgotten that it was the day to call home. He sat down and ran a hand over his hair, then signed into his account. Seeing Irene’s name as ‘online’ he dialed her, and waited.

Irene spent about a half hour on her phone before she decided to get up and make some more tea. The computer's volume was on high, so worst case, she could run over to the chair if Tom started calling her; the last thing she wanted to do was miss him. As she waited for the water to boil, she glanced at the clock on her stove, seeing that it was about seven-thirty, now. She didn't know the exact time difference, but she knew it had to be late afternoon or evening time where Tom was; unfortunately, because she didn't know the exact location of his whereabouts, she couldn't look up the precise hour it was for him.

Regardless, if she had to sit in front of her computer all day, she would. Her schedule was cleared for this purpose.

It was after an additional hour and a half had passed that Irene decided to get up once more to make herself something to eat. She normally had breakfast before this time of the morning, always an early bird, and even though she was a bit nauseous from nerves, her stomach was also growling for some food. Keeping that in mind, she made something bland over her usual bowl of banana oatmeal. Just an English muffin with some butter. It ruined her lipstick, but she wasn't about to risk walking that far away from her computer. Instead, she just wiped it off on a napkin and continued to wait.

Fortunately, there was such a thing as YouTube, and she spent the rest of her time watching various videos on her phone, namely ones centered around gardening or art. They were both topics that interested her. In fact, when she was very little she wanted to become an artist, but she never thought herself good enough to pursue it professionally. As for gardening, she always wanted to grow some of her own food; she just didn't have the time yet.

Irene was in the middle of watching a video on container-grown tomatoes when she heard her computer start to ring. Looking up from her phone's screen, she quickly sat in the chair more properly, letting her feet slide from the seat of the chair to the hard wood below it. After placing her cell phone on the table, she moved her hand to the trackpad on the keyboard and answered.

It took a few seconds to load, and she thought she heard some noise. "Tom?" she asked, wondering if he could hear her.

Then the video thread came through. It wasn't the best quality, and Irene hadn't expected to be. Honestly, though, the fact that she could make out his face was enough to make her smile. "Hey."

"Hey, baby!" Tom leaned forward and smiled. He put his fingertips on the screen where Irene's image showed through. "How are you? I missed that smile." His eyes went over every aspect of her, taking in her hair, the soft blush on her lips, and the bright white top she was wearing. "God, I missed you."

It was strange - he could be gone for months and not think of her or miss her, but seeing her now, remembering their lives together, brought a sharp pang too his throat and made him want to wrap her in his arms and breath in the aroma of her hair.

"I miss you, too, Tom. A lot," she said, leaning forward in her chair. Her eyes scanned his features like she couldn't just go down the hall for a photo album or bring up his picture on her phone any time she wanted to. He looked...different. The man in front of her was still very much Tom. Same brown eyes and blond hair. Same grin that made her feel giddy inside. But he seemed...tired? Worn out? The way he was, slumped in the chair, even leaning forward, worried her. "I love hearing your voice. I got your letters, and they were sweet. But nothing compares to actually being able to talk to you and see you."

"How are you doing?" she asked, the smile on her face remaining, but concern was evident in her tone. It was hard not being there with him, making sure he was taking care of himself while also getting to just be there with him. She found herself longing for one of his hugs. There was just something about them that made her able to relax and just be present.

"I'm doing okay." He smiled back at her and though the camera was above his eyes, it was evident that he was focused on just her at the moment. "We lost a couple of people last week, but it's okay. It was tough there for a while getting by without them. It happens, though. We're getting a couple of transfers in, so it will be okay." He thought about the new units and how much better they were blending than he had thought, and felt like it was going to be okay.

He took a deep breath and sighed. "But what about you? Are you doing okay?" As he looked at her he felt like she had never looked healthier or happier. It had to be that she was doing well - why else wouldn't she have said anything otherwise?

A hand patted his shoulder and he glanced up. The soldier behind him was definitely a woman by the curves underneath her uniform. Her voice was warm and a little gravelly. "Hey, don't want to take you from your call, but are you on tonight?"

"Yeah," Tom answered. "I'll be there."

The figure leaned over and looked at the camera and waved. "Hi Tom's friend!" Then she stood up and smacked his arm with the back of her hand. "Don't be late."

For the first time, since reading Tom's latest letter to her, she wondered if one of those transfers had been Nate. A part of her wanted to ask, but she knew they had more important things to talk about during this Skype call. As curious as she was, she wasn't about to ask who had left and who had stayed. More than anything, though, she was glad to hear that he was doing okay.

When he asked how she was, she shifted in her chair, glancing down a moment before lifting her eyes to the camera once more. Irene parted her lips to answer when she heard a woman's voice. Sure enough, behind Tom, was an intimidatingly attractive woman, and she seemed pretty familiar with her boyfriend. It was an ugly feeling, jealousy, and she felt wrong about it; she trusted Tom to be loyal to her. He had never given her reason to feel otherwise, but a part of her wondered, if this woman and her boyfriend were such good friends, why didn't she know that she was his girlfriend?

Irene didn't expect Tom to shout it from the rooftops, but it didn't sit right with her.

She also wasn't too keen on the idea of him going out tonight instead of resting, but she wasn't about to tell a grown man what he should and shouldn't do.

Still, she couldn't keep herself from asking, once the woman had left, "Who was that?"

"That?" Tom glanced in the direction the other soldier had gone. "That's just Gutierrez. She's our logistics officer, and we need to work on a few details before tomorrow's staff meeting."

He turned his attention back to Irene, smiling at her as if nothing was amiss. "So anyway, I had just asked you something. How are you doing, Babe? Everything okay back there with... everything?" His eyes blinked rapidly, a habit he had when he was tired from the way his eyes would dry up. Here, in the arid deserts, it was worse than usual. He was also starting to feel the pain pills wearing off, and was anxious to see the Lieutenant, hoping that she was letting him know that she had a new crop to pass out.

He drew in a breath and it came out as a yawn, stifled behind a closed fist. "Sorry about that. I've been up since three."

"Oh. Okay," Irene said, ignoring the part of her that was still quite uncomfortable with the fact that they seemed pretty close and she didn't know that Tom was taken. But he wouldn't leave that information out purposefully, right?

Oh, she had to stop. She trusted Tom. He was always faithful to her, and he wouldn't stop now.

She was about to answer his question again, her expression less cheerful, when he yawned and revealed he had been up since an early hour. If that were the case, shouldn't he be getting some rest instead of meeting with that Gutierrez woman? But he had said it was for work...Suggesting that he do otherwise would be wrong, and he probably wouldn't listen to her anyway.

"It's okay. I just hope you're getting some sleep. I know you're busy, but please take care of yourself." She knew she probably worried too much; this wasn't his first tour. "I've been...doing the best I can to do the same for myself." Irene paused, clasping her hands in her lap as the anxiety from earlier resurfaced with a vengeance. "Tom, I've been waiting to tell you this face-to-face because I thought it would be easier to answer any questions you had and assure you that I'll be okay...Otherwise, I would have just written you a letter." She looked up at the camera, her lips pulling into a slight frown. "I was diagnosed with breast cancer...but the prognosis is really good! I'm going to have surgery next week, and Ma will be helping me out with the recovery."

She hoped by spitting all that out he might focus on the positives, instead of just hearing, "I have cancer".

Tom sat there for a moment, disbelieving her words. Cancer? The test came back positive? But that was months ago. Why was he just now hearing about it? He opened his mouth to reply, then closed it again. He suddenly felt very awake.

"Irene, are they sure? I mean, of course they're sure. That was stupid. How long have you known?"

He clenched his fists in an unconscious reaction. It was hard not to react, and he was surrounded by other soldiers. Though they were as face-to-face as they could be, the venue was public. At least, it was for him. "Are you going to need chemo?" He looked at her. "Baby, I'm sorry - I'm so sorry. I should have stayed."

Irene hesitated a moment, feeling terrible about not telling him sooner, but what could she do? Yes, she could have written him a letter explaining things, but to her, that seemed a bit cruel. She understood that his side of this call wasn't private, but she'd rather deal with that than waiting four weeks for a response and have him wait the same amount for her to answer his questions and offer assurances.

"The results came back shortly after you left. I had to do a couple more tests to learn the extent of the spread. As of right now, no. I don't need chemotherapy. The surgery should be enough, and they will be doing one more test during it to see if it spread to other places. If that comes back positive, then, yes, I would need to do chemotherapy or radiation therapy," she explained, doing her best to remain calm and hold back tears. For some reason, his apologies gripped at her heart, causing a knot to form in her throat.

"I don't blame you for going. It seemed unlikely. I'm so young, and this is your job," she said, not wanting him to feel guilty. Forcing a smile, she continued. "As I said, I'll be fine. I have our families; I'm not alone."

"Wait, our families know?" Tom frowned. "I wish you would have told me sooner, Babe. You shouldn't have had to go through this without me." All the suppressed guilt from their last meeting washed over him. What kind of a boyfriend was he to leave her like this? How had she managed all this without him?

"You're right - this is my job, but you're my girlfriend, Irene. We've been together since we were kids." He shook his head. "I could see about getting a family emergency leave, come back for a while..." he looked at her. "You shouldn't have to go through this alone."

Irene didn't know exactly how requesting a family emergency leave worked. Technically, they weren't family, and as much as she wanted him home, she didn't want him to ruin his career because of her.

"I didn't want to tell you this in a letter, Tom. If you had any worries or needed more details, you wouldn't get them for at least a month. I didn't feel right doing that to you, and I worried it might distract you from your work. I waited for the Skype call for that reason, and I only told my parents, at first, but you know how Ma is. She couldn't keep a secret," she explained, purposefully leaving any mention of Nate out of it.

"Could that even work? We aren't married or family, even if we consider ourselves close enough," she pointed out with a sigh before looking at him with a hint of a curve to her lips. "I appreciate you wanting to be here with me, and I'd want the same if our roles were reversed. But if you have to stay, Tom, I won't be upset. I understand. It's okay. I'll be fine."

He smiled when she mentioned her mother. Yes, the woman was sort of a gossiper and their mothers were good friends. Of course she would have told.

"Well, it would work if we got married," he said, thinking out loud. "Then we'd be family." He looked at her through the screen, across thousands of miles. He knew that it would affect his career but he had always been impulsive. "What do you say? I could put in the paperwork tomorrow, get it faxed to you..." he looked at her. "I want to make up for or last time together. I was only thinking of myself."

"Tom." She looked at him with a frown pulling on her features, her tone almost pleading. "You know you don't want that. Not yet. What happened to wanting to travel the world and not feeling ready for marriage? And coming home now...wouldn't that impact your career?"

As overjoyed as she was at the idea of marrying him, at becoming his wife as soon possible, so he could come back home to her, to be with her, she knew she couldn't do that to him. He said he had felt trapped, and allowing him to do this would mean securing that feeling for god-knows how long. She feared for his happiness, and marriage should be something both parties want for the right reasons. Yes, they loved each other, and yes, they had been together for so long. But he wasn't ready. He was only doing this to make it up to her, not because he actually wanted to be her husband. The proposal had come from a place of guilt.

Back
Top Bottom