Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

In Defence of Present Tense

Shiver

Slaver Bait
I often see discussion and notes in people's request threads about whether they prefer third person or first/second person in roleplay. Rarely do I see anyone discuss whether they prefer past or present tense. Everyone seems to default to past tense, which is understandable because it's more common in prose. But I think present tense is ideal for roleplaying; it conveys the sense that the action is happening right now.

- Her heart pounded in her chest as she turned the corner. Peering into the gloom, she wished she still had a torch.
or
- Her heart is pounding in her chest as she turns the corner. Peering into the gloom, she wishes she still had a torch.

Interestingly enough, I've found people recognize this on an subconscious level, and often slip into present tense during sex or action scenes without realizing it.

I feel a big reason is just simple habit, people tend to stick to what they have always done, especially when they don't even think about doing it any other way.

To me present tense has similar associations than first and second person, it erodes the difference between players and characters. It gets you a lot closer to the action, but to a degree that's the problem I have with it. Getting into your character is important, but present often feels like playing 'yourself', which isn't something I am usually a fan of. Part of it is the innate want to just experience something new, but a big reason for me too is that that allows me to play a bit rougher characters. Especially in a sexual rp context being mean is oftentimes pretty fun, non-con is something many are into, but if I'm playing something that's too close to myself that just doesn't work. Obviously I am not actually an asshole like that, but healthy SSC BDSM in rps, in my opinion, really only works cur cuter, more romantic long term things. It makes things more realistic, which creates more emotional involvement, but it downplays the impact of singular scenes.

To me present tense has similar associations than first and second person, it erodes the difference between players and characters.

I see! I completely agree about needing that differentiation between me the player and me the character. I'm very into non-con and I enjoy things my character doesn't enjoy, so that separation is essential. But I don't find that having the present-tense jeopardizes that. "She gasped as her bikini top was torn off" and "she gasps as her bikini top is torn off" are both third-person and clearly refer to someone other than me, it's just that one is happening now.

Very interesting!

It's definitely not as close to me as first/second person, but ... maybe halfway there? These associated feelings aren't easy to put in words.
Truth be told, I can't remember ever having written more than a quick scene in present tense, so it's something I would need to give a proper try again. I have a history of being way too negative about new ideas like this (so take everything I say with a grain of salt) but another problem I would maybe end up having is ... let's just call it 'pressure'.
Generally, my style is rather slow. Long, detailed paragraphs, but only every, every other ... or admittedly recently only a few times a week. With delays like these between posts present tense may feel a bit odd - but now that I am reading my own words that's mostly baseless negativity for sure. It's probably true that present tense especially lends itself to quick back and forth sessions, but I don't think that means it'd be a major problem in slower paced rps.

A lot of the more long-winded writers also like to include things like thoughts and emotions about current action/dialogue, or even to refer back to bits of backstory or memories. This feels more natural to do with third person past tense.

Hmm, you think? You can certainly wax poetic about a character's thoughts and feelings in present tense. As for memories and backstories, the past tense would easily be nested in. You know, like "She finds the village calm and soothing. As she looks around, it reminds her of her childhood, when she lived in the country with her mother. Back then they'd wake up early to feed the cows. She always loved the cows...." etc etc.

I really think it's just habit that keeps people glued to the past!

I have a habit I'm trying to stop of starting a sentence in past tense and moving to present tense after a coma, usually linking to actions together.

He blasted down the street in his car, gunning the engine in traffic like a madman.

As an example.

I don't think that's really an issue if you're using the -ing version of the verb. I do that quite often. I think it's only really a 'switch' of tense entirely - and very jarring in writing - if you do something like:

That one reads awkwardly, but I think your example reads fine.
Well, the way I've been working on correcting it is making two sentences of it. So it would become "He blasted down the street in his car. He gunned the engine in traffic like a mad man." and then just don't start the next sentence we "he," for the sake of non-repetition.

Honestly I've never had anyone complain about it to me. I just read so many RTs demanding that things be kept in past tense I just became self-conscious about it. If the sentences seem too basic after the split then I might spruce them up more. "He blasted down the street in his car with reckless abandon. Like a madman, he gunned the engine in spite of the crowed traffic." I found that with a little more effort and thought you can usually erase most if not all -ings. But that first initial style is so ingrained in my system that that kind of change won't occur without a proof read to catch things.

...But that first initial style is so ingrained in my system that that kind of change won't occur without a proof read to catch things.

There's nothing to catch! :) like Solo said, the original formulation is completely grammatically correct. I'd argue it's better, stylistically, so you don't have to repeat pronouns. "He blasted down the street. He gunned the engine" seems clunkier to me than "he blasted down the street, gunning the engine." Trust your initial instinct!

So just about tense... I don't mind either I guess, but there's nothing present tense does for me to make me default over past tense (which I do mainly so I can be consistent). The immediacy doesn't really catch since I tend to play slower, longer term stuff without that sense of immediacy being real anyways.

My theory is that people associate present-tense with cybersex, which is not the kind of RP that most people want. I guess 'cybering' is generally first person and as well as present tense, which gives it that sense of immediacy. Perhaps the two have become conflated in some people's minds for entirely understandable reasons. Third person past tense is a decent filtering mechanism.

I'm really keen to write more in the present tense. I've read a number of excellent books written in the PT over the years.. the first was a cheap book-of-the-movie tie-in, which was both awful and extraordinary. Awful because it was barely more than first person description of everything that happens in the film with no attempt to take advantage of the medium to say more/do something different. But extraordinary because at that age I'd never read anything like that before, and it was vivid and exciting and just like watching the film. More recently I've read much higher quality fiction written in present tense.

I've tried writing some RPs in the present tense and in some of my own writing. It's difficult because as Sophor says it's habit, it's the default and so easy to fall back into. Generally it takes longer to do and to get right, but it can give a sense of immediacy and vividness while maintaining distance between writer and character(s). I think it's possible to write present tense third person omniscient narrator but it certainly takes more effort.

There's nothing to catch! :) like Solo said, the original formulation is completely grammatically correct. I'd argue it's better, stylistically, so you don't have to repeat pronouns. "He blasted down the street. He gunned the engine" seems clunkier to me than "he blasted down the street, gunning the engine." Trust your initial instinct!
Yeah, I definitely don't think it's a habit that you need to be self-conscious about. Using "-ing" verbs like that isn't technically switching tenses, so you aren't switching to present tense if the base of the action is still in past tense, if that makes sense. If you switched from "-ed" to "-s" mid-sentence or mid-post that would probably be quite jarring, but "-ing" generally just adds on to whatever the previous verb was.

"He walked home and saw a bird" vs. "He walked home and sees a bird" vs. "He walks home and saw the bird" vs. "He walks home and sees the bird". First and last would be technically sound - the middle options are the only ones that would make my head hurt.
Alright, I'll keep that in mind then. Thanks you two.

I often see discussion and notes in people's request threads about whether they prefer third person or first/second person in roleplay. Rarely do I see anyone discuss whether they prefer past or present tense. Everyone seems to default to past tense, which is understandable because it's more common in prose. But I think present tense is ideal for roleplaying; it conveys the sense that the action is happening right now.

- Her heart pounded in her chest as she turned the corner. Peering into the gloom, she wished she still had a torch.
or
- Her heart is pounding in her chest as she turns the corner. Peering into the gloom, she wishes she still had a torch.

Interestingly enough, I've found people recognize this on an subconscious level, and often slip into present tense during sex or action scenes without realizing it.
I could write RP either way and usually default to what my partner is comfortable with.
I've also written RP in a 3rd person past tense with internal thoughts (italacised text) in 1st person past or present.

Back
Top Bottom