Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Favorite books?

Fantasy:

Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories by Fritz Leiber
Riyria Revelations Series by Michael J Sullivan
Chronicles of Siala series by Alexey Pehov
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
Dune Books by Frank Herbert
Gideon the Ninth by Tamsyn Muir

Horror:

The Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis
Black Monastery by William Stacey
Necronomicon by HP Lovecraft
The Innswich Horror by Edward Lee
Survivor by J.F. Gonzalez

A Confederacy of Dunces
Many works by Mario Puzo (particularly The Family and The Godfather)
The Redwall series by Brian Jacques
The Usagi Yojimbo series by Stan Sakai
Brethren, Crusade, and Fall of the Templars by Robyn Young
Most books by Jonathan Kirsch
The Jesse B. Simple stories by Langston Hughes
Tyrant: Shakespeare on Politics by Stephen Greenblatt

Some of my favourites:

"The Season to be Wary" by Rod Serling
The greatest storyteller to ever live. Period.

"One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" by Ken Kessey
Ugh. Classic. Just fucking great.

"Das Parfum" by Patrick Süskind
The sights, the sounds, the smells!!!!!!

"My Dark Places" by James Ellroy
First line: Some kids found her.

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami
The Love Child Philippa Carr

The Bartimaeus Trilogy is an excellent young adult series that has Pratchett levels of clever humor. Speaking of -

The entire Discworld series by Terry Pratchett. Deep truths lie in those novels.

The Lamp of Alhazred is my favorite by H.P. Lovecraft. No, it's not one of his well-known ones, but it means something to me.

If I had to pick just one, however, The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett. "...and Tiffany reached out her arms and the bees settled along them, and welcomed her home." For another young woman with bees on her arms, this meant - and still means - so much that I can't even express.

The Decline Of The West By Oswald Spengler and The Gay Science by Friedrich Nietzsche for non-fiction.

As for fiction, It's actually Yardie By Victor Headley though I have to give a nod to The Collector By John Fowles as well.

Though I will admit to quoting The Catcher In The Rye more then I would like to admit. After all, the world is filled with phonies.

I don't know that I could pick a favorite book. I'm a pretty avid reader and tend to go through my collection often. I suppose if I were to pick a genre it would be high fantasy.- Lord of the Rings, Wheel of Time, Stormlight Archive etc. Though I do have some weakness for The Giver Quartet.

I do find Tolkien to be way too long winded these days, but it's something I grew up reading so it's always got a place in my rotation.
Too long?! Surely you mean not long enough, you blaspheming knave! Jokes aside, fair. Wheel of Time is also pretty great, though I freely admit I only noticed all the kinky parts during my recent re-read. The author most certainly did not hold back.

Too long?! Surely you mean not long enough, you blaspheming knave! Jokes aside, fair. Wheel of Time is also pretty great, though I freely admit I only noticed all the kinky parts during my recent re-read. The author most certainly did not hold back.
Oh no, he did not. I'm actually about to start a new re-read of that one. Figure even with the bus life of an adult I can knock out at least Eye of the World before the show starts.

Dune, Long Dark Teatime of the Soul, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Something Wicked This way Comes, The Martian Chronicles.

(A special shout out to The Black Stallion as it's the book that started my obsession with books as a kid.)
If I may reply to this long after the post, have you seen the new Dune movie and if so what was your opinion of it?

Dune - all 6 books (Frank Herbert)

Hobbit / LOTR (JRR Tolkein)

The Belgariad (David Eddings)

Saga of the Exiles (Julian May)

Clive Cussler stories involving the protagonist Dirk Pitt

War of the Worlds, Time Machine (HG Wells)

Red Mars / Green Mars / Blue Mars (Kim Stanley Robinson)

So many authors I enjoy, its hard to pick favorites. Butcher, Carroll, Jordan, Lewis, King, Kontz, and so many more. If it dabbled with Fantasy or Horror I think I could find some way to enjoy it. So too with their titles.

Back
Top Bottom