Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Match Makers(Mosos & obieblu)

The squire smiled more broadly at the children through his wince of pain. "Well, you tell her Cade Hollan is here to do just that," before they ran off. He never forgot just why exactly he was doing this. To create a reputation for himself.

After the children were out of earshot, he snidely replied to the old man, "You'd rather let the monsters lurk in the forest ready to pounce on them, eh? Teach them to not bother trying?" He was still very unhappy with the guard's lack of action, even warning, earlier with the skeletons. "Just leave the princess to the dastardly orc's dark desires, eh?" This geezer would never actually help, but Cade figured some heroic talk and condescension in this situation were about the same. "Perhaps if someone had warned her about the orcs, she wouldn't need rescuing. Either way, I'll head north and put this right."

"Mayor? Ma'am, I'm Cade Hollan, sent by the Match Makers guild to help with your orc problem. I understand a princess has also been taken by them. Three skeletons attacked while your man was explaining," he told a white lie and looked to the guard at his side, showing he could have said the old man was useless but didn't. "I put them down, but one caught me by surprise." He laid one hand against his bleeding chest, though the flow had lessened.

The mayor sigh heavily turning to the guard. "Another would be hero, is it all happening again?" The guard looks at the mayor with a mournful glance. "Yes ma'am, we should prepare for the worst." The elderly woman stretches a gnarled hand out to Cade's chest, a dim white light encircles her fingers as Cade's wounds start to close. The old woman looks at you mirthfully. "You'll need some rest before you are back at full strength, hero." Her words drip with sarcastic venom, as she motions Cade inside. "Well come in boy, you can rest here tonight."

Cade looked between the two with a mildly skeptical expression. Was he not the first that the Match Makers had sent, or were these two so old they were referencing long ago? "Have other come. Recently?" But the healing magic dulled the implied insult in the mayor's words, and he took a deep sigh in relief from the burning pain. "I thank you kindly.. and I assure you I'm here to help. The Match Makers Guild has full faith in me, or they wouldn't have sent me." He didn't specific that they had faith he would play his part as directed. Cade stepped inside, taking a brief look around. He was still hoping that he could get some better equipment, however unlikely, and it seemed like the mayor's home would be a good gauge as to the resources available. "I don't mean to put you out. I could stay at an inn, just as easily." An inn likely having a tavern, and likely having a barmaid or two as Cade's squire training hadn't allowed him much opportunity for female companionship.

The mayor digs a bony finger into Cade's chest. "No one has come to help our village since I was as young and beautiful as the spring." She looks up at Cade with a dour look. "Does our village really look like the kind of place that would have an inn? You will sleep in the front room, hero." The old crone rolls her eyes at you sarcastically, venom dripping from every word. The old woman's home is old, but clean. Her home has few decorations, with only a religious icon marking the walls of the front room. A pair of wooden chairs sit in the far corner of the room clearly hand made, and dusty from years of non-use.

The pretend knight actually winced and leaned quickly backwards as the older woman poked him, expecting the wound on his chest to sting horribly. It had only been healed for moments, and he looked a abashed that he'd reacted like that. Cade patted his own chest lightly and smiled, showing gratitude again that the mayor had healed him. It would have been an obvious lie if he said she still looked young or beautiful, so he refrained from insulting her. "I only had a short look after the skeletons, ma'am. I wouldn't say an unkind word about your village, and whatever you can offer will be fine. Thank you." He took another look around approvingly, "A religious household, then?" His parents were but Cade was not. He relied on himself to write his own destiny.

Back
Top Bottom