Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Demon Hunter (NTI - IGW)

ImaginationGoneWild

Loremaster Extraordinaire!
b9673293ade4d53f49ef7f00bc4b80f0.jpg

Hundgard is a small but prosperous city and is the capitol in the Kingdom of Cale; well-known for its Hunter's Academy. Every year hundreds of students apply to the academy but only a few dozen finish their training...or so it should be. Joseph Arens wasn't the only veteran to notice how lax the academy has become with its students. For starters they opened their doors for just about anyone these days; probably a result from the amount of casualties they were suffering. And the majority of students were of noble descent so that told him that the academy is a joke now. Sons and daughters getting a shiny star to embellish their list of privileges and achievements. He wondered if any of them took the job seriously or not...probably not. Those that did take their jobs seriously were on a suicide mission.

The academy's teachers and their mystery guest sat at a long table that had the perfect overview of the hall. No one could mistake who Joseph was as he sat there sipping coffee. He wasn't a teacher but liked to make visits every now and then to share some of his wisdom. No, Joseph was a veteran Demon Hunter, an aging one which said something about his skill. He watched the students enjoying their breakfast without a care in the world.

"Looks like you'll have ya hands full on this mess." He said to the masked stranger.

He watched the students while dipping his sandwich into his coffee and spotted a particular blonde. A small smile creeped up on him as he winked at her.

The blonde wasn't surprised to see her father sitting at the head table, smiling back at him when he winked at her. She was wondering however who the masked stranger was. Some Hunters tend to have a flair for the theatrics; perhaps he was one of those. She groaned at the idea that they might get lectured by him; boasting about their many adventures and demon kills and how they will teach them how to become as great at them...Lies.

Eleonora was no fool. She was the one to tell Joseph about the lack of education, how their fighting techniques weren't taken seriously, how mistakes were often overlooked. How she often sees freshly graduated Hunters leave the academy only for them to be reported dead in less that a month. The Hundgard's academy was careless...

Joseph leaned in towards the stranger and pointed at the blonde, "That's her, Nora." The old man didn't talk much about her to other people nor 'friendly' demons for fear they might use her against him. Or give her an unfair treatment at the academy. So her identity within the academy was hidden. He looked around the dining hall some more, whispering to the other teachers before turning back to their guest. "i think they've had enough time to finish their breakfast. What do you think?" he gave the stranger a playful smirk as he rubbed over his white mustache and beard.

Over the last hundred years or so, the once proud Hunter had taken, what could only be described as, a nose dive into some of the worst fighters this world had ever seen. Originally created to be humanities defense against feral demons, now they were a bunch of glory seeking children who barely survived ten minutes alone let alone making any real impact. The masked man sitting in the chow hall with Joseph was someone who'd personally seen the decline in Hunter talent and was now chosen as a field instructor to try and teach these children how to survive for longer than a few minutes. Looking at the older Hunter, Drake sighed at his comment of having his hands full. Many of the kids in the chow hall looked blissfully unaware of the danger that lurked just outside the walls of the Capital. Most of them wearing large, clunky armor that while pretty to look at, held no real use in actual combat.

Drake's mask was hand made and crafted by himself as a way to keep his identity a secret and unlike many other assassins in the Capital, Drake was unique. Many assassin's hid their faces but kept their eyes bared. A lower face mask did the job for most people but Drake had a full face mask that covered his entire face from his hair line to his chin. The eyes, and mouth were covered by a tightly woven metal mesh that blocked the outside view of his eyes as well as his mouth. Normally this would seriously restrict ones vision but Drake was unique in the matter that he was a half breed. His mother, and S class demon and his father was a human soldier. Drake was pushing about one hundred twenty years of age at this point which for him put him at the mental age of about 26 in human years and his physical appearance was the same. However for his demon blood, he was just about to hit 20 years of age in regards to a human outlook. Barely an adult to a demon.

Leaning over slightly, Drake listened to Joseph talk about the blonde who was rolling her eyes at him. Nodding to the male he stood up and walked to the middle of the chow hall. Reaching into his back pouch he grabbed an enchanted ball of black powder and lit the fuse, rolling it toward a large group of students. Upper class students who SHOULD have known what to do but they just stared at it till it blew up and threw out a massive blast of wind that cleared three tables and lobbed the students a few feet. Rubbing his forehead he sighed. When the commotion stopped Drake spoke.
"Well you all failed. That bomb had a six second time delay. A simple bubble shield would have solved that problem yet you all stared at it like you had no idea what it was. My name is Reaper. I'm the lead Assassin for the King and Queen and I've been tasked with teaching you painful excuses of Hunter trainee's how to survive longer than ten minutes...and it looks like I've got my work cut out for me. As of today, every student is required to take my class and pass if you want to graduate. You all should have gotten a memo in your mail boxes two weeks ago that stated my rules but I can see none of you read it."

Looking around he saw a few faces that showed less surprise.
"Maybe a few of you did. Anyway. Get your shit, and let's go. Everyone here is going on a little field trip with me. I'm going to ram home why your training is going to be picked up. Meet outback, at the Delta gate in ten minutes. Anyone late is expelled."
With that, Drake vanished as he was able to use the teleportation spell because of his demon blood, only Tier 1 mage's knew that spell.

Nora stopped her conversation with her fellow senior students when she noticed a dark ball rolling between the tables. She lifted herself from her seat with a frown. She wasn't too sure what to expect until she saw the fuse sparking. Gasping, she quickly stepped away from the table with a stumble.

She barely had time to warn the others when a Wind Blast blasted itself from the ball and launched not only the nearest tables but also several students across the dining hall, including herself. Landing on her back she cursed to herself. At least she didn't get a table thrown at her face like some of the others did.

She scrambled herself back up, brushing off her clothes as she listened to the stranger's speech, with a glare.

Recognition crossed her face when 'The Reaper' mentioned the letter. She smirked proudly the day she received it, it meant that someone out there was taking her concerns seriously; besides her father. However, she wasn't expecting someone like the masked Reaper to take action. She was thinking more along the lines of stuffy old men and women inspecting the academy and changing up the rules...

This will be interesting.

As soon as Reaper said all he needed he disappeared into thin air causing many students to startle. That must've been one of those teleportation spells, or something to help him sneak around. Eleonora looked down at her left arm, pulling up her sleeve to run her fingers over her enchanted tattoo. She had a long way to go with her magic abilities.

She frowned and pondered about the masked Royal Assassin. Humans didn't usually have control over a spell like teleportation. It's always been healing or the elements...

Eleonora waited by the Delta Gate as instructed along with the rest of the students. She wasn't too sure what to expect from the assassin so she decided it would be best to come prepared with her rapier and her pistol. Glancing around she noticed that a few more had the same idea, she gave them a curt nod.

Joseph Arens in the meanwhile donned his long, brown leather jacket with matching hat as he leisurely strolled down the path to join the students.

Joseph turned around when he heard someone complain about their missing assassin.

"He's late!"

-"You sure about that?" he said as he glanced around.

Drake was sitting on the wall above the students, his legs dangling above them and shaking his head.
"It really is painful how oblivious you student's are. Had I been an enemy, you'd all be dead, or most of you would be dead while the others would be maimed and bleeding out."
He said as he hopped off of the wall and shook Joseph's hand then motioned to the students.
"Let's go. Stick close or turn into something's lunch."
He said as he walked toward the forest and after getting about 200 yards in he stopped and waited till the kids were all looking his way.

"Last year, the academy successfully graduated 600 'Hunters' and sent them into the world to make a name for themselves. Do me a favor and look to your right."
When they would, they'd see four dead bodies, three males one female. Missing limbs, holes torn into their bodies and flesh hanging from their bones.
"That's one team. They made it 200 yards and were wiped out. Look to your left, about forty feet."
Another team was completely destroyed in that area.
"This forest is littered with bodies of your fellow students who were taught he wrong way and suffered the ultimate price for it. Successful Hunters according to the Academy staff. Yeah...very successful, if the goal was to be a D class demon's lunch."

Looking around them, Drake could feel eyes on them, some of the D class demons making themselves known while others hid in the shadows, but not one of them coming close.
"Why aren't they attacking?"
One female asked and Drake smirked.
"Cause I'm here. You kids are food. I'm terrifying. D class and C class feral demons have instincts. I'm strong, I'm smart, and I smell like the blood of their kin. They know instinctively that attacking me is not healthy for them. You kids smell of fear and inexperience. You...are food. We...Joseph and I, are Alpha's. Not to be fucked with."

Walking the students deeper into the woods he spent an hour showing them corpse after corpse of students that they all once knew who had graduated and then died in the forest. Walking them back to the school, he stopped and looked at the students, some had puked in the woods from the smell of the rotting bodies or the sight of the fear and pain etched on the dead hunter's faces.
"What you all saw. That is your fate if you don't take my class. No one here is qualified to teach you and the King knows it. So, while your academy is getting a massive revamp in instructors, my class will be a needed course to pass. Go home, decide if you REALLY want to be a Hunter and if you're ready for a year of blood, sweat and tears. Cause you'll be experiencing all of that in my class. Tomorrow, I'll see you all right here for the start of my class. Or those who are brave enough anyway. My class is going to be very hands on, no books or papers needed."

Waving them off he let the kids leave before looking at Joseph.
"Too harsh old man? You seem a bit winded."
Drake said with a chuckle. Joseph being one of the very few humans who knew what Drake was and what he was capable of.

The green-eyed honey blonde jumped and clutched her chest upon hearing the deep voice above her. Wide-eyed she turned to the assassin perched on the wall, glaring. But her anger wasn't really directed towards the assassin but more towards herself. It looked like she needed the training herself, despite being Arens daughter. Joseph may have taught her a few things on Hunting Demons but the academy must've rendered her stupid again...

She followed him in silence along with the others towards the forest; most of the walk was spend in either silence or tomfoolery as the students gossiped.

Nora covered her mouth to try and muffle the gasp she let out, shocked to see these bodies of young hunters. But she was more appalled that the academy, or even city, allowed them to be left like this... in such a disgraceful way.

Joseph knew of the bodies, and along with his age it wasn't as shocking to him...just sad. When the bodies were discovered (by the very same Reaper) it was decided that, after much dispute among the teachers, they would serve as an example for the students to take their future more serious now. But after their visit to the forest Arens would have to send signal to the groundskeepers to recover the bodies and give them either back to their awaiting families or be given a proper burial.

Nora continued to clutch to her chest and mouth as she looked to her father for comfort. She watched him curiously when she noticed that he wasn't paying attention to the corpses at all but rather their surroundings; as if he knew they were being watched.

The blonde glanced around while slowly reaching for the pistol strapped to her hip. Now she saw them too, glistening eyes hiding behind the undergrowth of the forest, some even up in the trees. One by one more students began to notice these demons and began to panic slightly. Why weren't the teachers firing at them?

Well the female student who question Reaper would get her answer. Nora was both frightened and impressed that the stranger could hold his own against these creatures. Hold his own to the point the Demons even feared him. She turned to look at her father again, wondering where the heck she found someone like him?

After they returned to the academy Nora waited for everyone to have gone, pretending she was feeling sick still.

Joseph grumbled at Drake's comment, "I kicked yer ass once...I can do it again..."

As soon as there was some distance between the students and the trio she got up, "Was that really necessary?"

Joseph assured her as he placed his hand on the small of her back, "They'll be given a proper burial," he said as he pointed to the group of groundskeepers who were pulling along empty carts, "See?" He looked at her as he took off his hat, running his fingers through his white and grey hair.

"By the way," he said with a renewed energy, "Reaper, meet my daughter. Nora, meet Reaper. I've known him for... a while. He's one of the best Hunters in this kingdom." Of course he wasn't going to tell her that he knew Drake when he himself was still young... He envied Demons, or half-breeds, for that. Their near eternal youth.

Last edited:
When Joseph brought up beating Drake once he chuckled. Sure he'd beaten him, when he was young and dumb. Now however, Drake was on par with most A class demons but that was not something that anyone needed to know. Watching the interaction between Joe and his daughter he spotted the ever present grey hair and sighed as he was once again reminded that Joe was old and getting to be closer to the age that humans often perished. Reaching into his pouch he pulled out a vial that had a green liquid inside. Green liquid was often the color of a healing salve or healing juice that was laced with magic. Which was partially true. His mother had enchanted this particular liquid. A gift for years of mentoring and just being a good friend. Walking over to Joe, he slid the valve into the males hand and smiled, opening his mind to Joe so that only he would hear him.

'A gift from me and my mother. Drink it tonight before bed. You'll see a slight change in your physical features. Your skin will heal from the effects of age and your muscle density will return to your prime. Internally you'll be as young as you were in your prime, so early thirties. My blood has been mixed into the salve. Meaning that you'll be given an extra forty or so years without feeling 100 years old. Think of it as a step back in time.'

Speaking out loud for Joe's daughter he chuckled.

"In case the walk was too much for you old man."

He then turned his attention to Nora and studied her for a bit.

"No offense Joe, but being your child I expected a bit more from her, or did you get lazy?"

He asked as he crossed his arms over his chest and shook his head.

"Or was it the whole Daddy's girl thing? She's got you wrapped around her finger and you can't say no? Poor old man. You used to be such a strong male too."

Shaking his head and feigning sadness before he snorted.

"Well. I'll whip her into shape, or she'll flunk out...or die. We'll try and avoid the death part but given what I've seen from her and the other's, I'm not gonna hold my breath. Maybe take up a different profession Nora. Perhaps knitting? I think a seamstress is good."

Reaper turned to leave then stopped.

"Oh, and don't call me a Hunter Joe. I've got more pride than that. Calling me a Hunter now a days is an insult."

He gave a two fingered salute then did his little disappearing act again as he wanted to go home and was just paranoid enough to not want anyone to follow him. The kids had the rest of the day off till tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. so he'd see how many wanted to show up then.

Joseph looked down his hand as the vial is pushed into his hand, then his eyes twitched. He never got used to those telepathic links some of the Demons could make. He was surprised that the half-breed cared that much about him. He nodded and put the vial in his pocket before turning to Eleonora.

Nora was intrigued by the mystery vial but figured it was a standard healing potion. She couldn't help but blush in embarrassment when Reaper voiced his disappointment in her. "I'm not lazy..." she muttered under her breath as she lowered her head with a frown. She flat out just walked away with a huff when he suggested that she should consider being a seamstress instead if the Hunter business doesn't pan out.

Nora returned to her dorm with frustration and exhaustion. Today was very emotionally draining.

Joseph chuckled at both his daughter and the young assassin. "Ah...kids." He too returned to the dorm; the school provided him with a spare room. He was about to get ready for bed when he remembered the vial in his pants pocket. So this was the infamous 'rejuvenation potion'. He heard of these but never saw one on the market, not even the black market....Well, the real deal at least. The ones they sell over there were usually a scam.

But here it was, in his hands. It was tempting but he put it away in his jacket pocket instead. For the moment he didn't feel the need for it. He was always of the believe that if your time had come, so be it...

The following morning, Nora was one of the first students to arrive at Reaper's class. Despite finding him to be an arrogant and with an air of superiority she was very interested in learning new things and improving her abilities.

When morning came Reaper was standing with his back against the wall, his legs crossed at the ankles and one hand holding a book that was the Academy's old course guide. Well no wonder these kids didn't learn anything, they only sparred on occasion with one another and never saw the light of day unless they were walking around outside or heading home. No time outside the walls...at all. Well that wouldn't teach them anything. Sighing he tossed the book into the garbage as the kids began showing up. When they were all gathered he looked at them and pointed to a quilt that had been laid out on the grass.

"Every weapon you have on you, put it there. Doesn't have to be neat. Disarm, completely."

While the kids were doing that, he decided to check their knowledge on D class demons.

"Why do Demons attack humans? Anyone?"

While he let that question hang in the air, he watched a few of the students. Listening to their answers he sighed.

"Right. You're all idiots. Demons attack for two reasons. Hunger, or self defense. In the winter when food is scarce, the demons are more likely to attack humans because they need food to survive just like every other creature. During the Spring, like now, they will attack if they feel threatened or, if they feel you're encroaching on their territory. However a territory fight is much different than a self defense fight. Territory fights are to prove dominance or just get you out. Self defense happens when the human attacks the demon."

Tossing a map to the ground he pointed to a black line he'd drawn on the current map of the D class forest.

"That's a path I've constructed. Every fifty yards is a lantern. That path is in between territories but not directly on or through any. Your first test. Let's see who listens. I've told you what is on the path, where it is and what the likely hood of attacks are. If you follow those instructions and have a shred of common sense, this will just be a nice stroll through the woods. IF you didn't pay attention, have an ego, and have zero common sense. Well, this will be a very short walk through the woods for you. The path should take you about an hour. Even at a full sprint. So, hop to it. Pay attention to your surroundings too. As Hunters you need to know the D class forest like the back of your hand since it's right here at the capital walls. This is my way of weeding out those who deserve to be here...and those who are a waste of oxygen."

Waving to the forest entry where the first lantern was, he leaned against the wall again.

"Get going...and try not to die."

Nora arrived at the gates where the D Class forest was located; busying herself by putting her hair up in a ponytail. Just like last time she came prepared with a rapier and her pistol hanging by her belt. She also wore a proper outfit; a simple ensemble of pants and a shirt with some boots but she had a leather jacket much like her father.

The students gathered around the assassin and a blanket spread out on the grass. Eleonora quirked an eyebrow when they were told that they had to disarm themselves. She didn't think much of it at first. Maybe today's class was about self-defense when one is unarmed? She listened carefully to his questions, knowing how to answer them thanks to her upbringing...but she didn't want to bring attention to herself.

When she was younger she'd often hear stories of the origins of Demons. Some would say that they were once human in some distant past but cursed by a long forgotten god. Others yet would say that they came to our world from another Plane of existence. Interesting theories...But her father always said that it doesn't matter where they came from or how they came to be. Demons aren't what they seem and have as much right to be here as we do.

Joseph would tell her that the runts were a lot like animals and that she should treat them as one. Leave them be or avoid them unless you can't.

Nora studied the map that Reaper tossed on the ground, the path covered a large part of the forest but eventually looped back towards the gate where they started. She glanced around at the other students but then noticed that her father was nowhere to be seen. He must be off on an errand or something...He didn't show up at the school all that often to be honest, so it was nice when he did. Anyway...she's on her own. She didn't need him to complete the Reaper's course.

The students jogged through the forest, not wanting to spend too much time in the forest but at the same time not wanting to draw any attention to themselves. Nora was the same but she was one of the students who took a slower pace...The path was long and she wanted to conserve her energy in case something goes wrong.

Joseph was resting against a tree with his horse grazing nearby. He tapped his hat at the passing students...So far so good. He smirked when he spotted Nora along with some others.

Nora panted as she came to a stop, waving off the others with an excuse that she needed to rest.

"Hey kiddo," the old man smiled. "Bored?"

Nora sighed with her hands on her hips. "A little...But I get a work-out from it. So that's good."

Joseph chuckled, "Get going, don't want ya to straggle behind."

With a nod she picked up her pace again and continued down the path. It was strange because she didn't feel frightened unlike the other students. Well...until she heard a twig snap somewhere behind her. She glanced around fr a bit before continuing, "Just passing through..." she spoke softly, "Not encroaching on your territory...I'm calm...You're calm...we're calm..."

She kept reassuring herself as she walked down the path...

Last edited:
Drake stood a few hundred yards away from where Joseph was mainly because he'd seen some movement in the woods and was investigating. Spotting the movement again he sighed as he leaned against a tree.

"Stealth is not your strong suit Jaz."

He said with a bored tone as a short female walked out of the woods. She had charcoal black skin, matching colored hair with red streaks, glowing amber eyes and sharp canine fangs. A short canine style tail and pointed ears on her head. Walking over in a pair of black shorts and no top, the female giggled.

"Canines aren't built for stealth. So are these the pups you'll be training?" She asked as she motioned to the students who'd just run by.

"Some of them yes."

Jaz watched them, then looked to the ones trailing behind and raised an eyebrow.
"Not much to look at are they?"
"Not really no. You're catching me during the weeding process. Figuring out who will stay and who won't."
"Ah...fun times."

Looking off to the right Drake spotted Nora and noticed her seemingly talking to herself then glanced at Jaz as she stepped in Nora's way. Waiting for the young female to stop Drake smirked. Wondering if Nora would be able to feel the deafening power coming off of Jaz since she was not only an S class but also the pack Alpha to one of the largest packs in the country. Drake knew Jaz from previous jobs and his mother. She was a good female and had a good heart, but if you weren't ready for that assault on your senses when it came to her power level, fear made you really wonder about her.

"This female is very cute. She heard me in the woods and decided to talk to me."

Drake nodded and sighed.

"A child would hear you. You walk like an elephant."

Jaz pouted as she stuck her tongue out.

She could've sworn she heard something rustle. She thought herself paranoid; snapping twigs don't always mean demons...

She continued to jog along the path, conserving her energy. Who knows what else the guest tutor had planned for them...he seemed the type to surprise. And surprise, surprise...from behind the treeline a dark figure emerged and decided to halt in the middle of the road.

Nora has never seen a creature like this before, nor its power. All humans who dabble in magic can pick up on 'auras' or someone's life-energy. The stronger the being the more energy they give off. This canine creature was unlike anything she ever experienced. despite its bestial features it looked humanoid. Her eyes widened at the realization; was this an evolved?

She instinctively reached for her hip but found it devoid of her weapons. Right, they had to give them up for this lesson. "I'm just passing through...I don't want any trouble."

Meanwhile Joseph already sensed Jaz' presence so he wasn't too worried...although she was a playful one. Nora was already out of his sight so he couldn't observe her...maybe it'd be best. she wasn't his student, he only assisted to make sure the students were kept in one piece.

Jaz took a moment and watched her as she reached for her nonexistent sword and giggled as Nora spoke up. "You want no trouble yet you reached for a blade? Strange way of showing you want no trouble female. Though to be fair, all the weapons in your arsenal wouldn't have saved you if I wanted you dead."
Jaz said as she walked over to Nora and got very close to her, sniffing her hair for a moment and smiling.
"You're very interesting. I like this one."
"You said that already Jaz. Let her continue will you?"

Jaz smiled and moved to the side as Drake walked over and used the flat side of his sword to slap Nora's ass cheek to get her going. Sheathing his blade once more he walked with Jaz along the trail and as they walked Drake and Nora both smelled blood. Sighing they bolted up to the front to see four students cowering against a tree as one male student was now a afternoon snack for a D class demon. As Drake and Jaz walked over the demon began whining as it ran off with its tail tucked. Walking over to the young male who was barely alive Drake looked down at him as he was holding a small dagger.

"Ah. So you decided to carry a weapon. So your death is you're own doing."
With that, Drake stood up and walked away from the dying student as the others looked at him in shock.
"You're not going to help him?!"
"His throat is open and most of his stomach is gone. He's dead already."

Reaching behind him Drake fired a flare into the air to mark a dead student. Sure enough, by the time the students looked back to the male his eyes were rolled and glossy showing he was dead.
"Next time I tell you not to carry a weapon...maybe you'll listen. If not...we see how that went."

Nora cringed when Jaz spoke to her; her mouth agape in shock. To be honest she didn't really pay attention to what she was saying, just on the fact that she said 'something'.

"By the gods, it talks..." She quickly covered her mouth, hoping the demon didn't hear her.

Nora felt herself shrink and squeaked when Jaz approached her and sniffed her. Shutting her eyes and grimacing, waiting to be devoured...but she wasn't devoured...she was, mocked?

It-it likes me? Nora looked up at the tall canine demon, stunned she was still alive...This was nothing like the stories her father told her, nor the teachers. Her father taught her that demons weren't what they seemed to be; her blonde brain assumed they were shapeshifters or sneaky creatures, masters of seductions like in the stories. And the teachers? Well the teachers demonized them of course...no pun intended.

Eleonora didn't know what to think now. She watched the exchange between the canine and Drake, who suddenly appeared from the treeline, with childlike fascination. HOW IS ANYONE ALIVE!? Her brain screamed at her...

She yelped again when Drake slapped her ass with his blade, her arms flailing as she stumbled forward. She did as she was told, moving on with her journey until she noticed that Drake and the canine demon suddenly bolted ahead. Her brows knitted together in concern; do they know something she didn't?

....Probably.

She picked up her pace and by the time she joined the others she could tell that things were dire. Drake had walked away from a dying student, and when Nora tried to see how bad it was she gasped at seeing the injuries. She understood there was nothing they could do but did the guy really deserve such a cold treatment?

"So is class cancelled now?" she asked the Reaper, "We have a dead student now?"

"Nope," her father's voice grumbled behind the group; ambling by on his horse, "Move along now, kids."

Back
Top Bottom