Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Flowers For The Dead King (Ravenofpoe X DigitalSiren)

Ravenofpoe

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."
The dark streets that made up the underworld glowed with the unnatural light of the magics. From the master bedroom balcony, he could watch the shades and spirits work and keep busy. The Underworld was by far the most active of the Olympian spheres of influence. While the others power waned, his power came from the death and the mortals grew to keep funeral rites to a magical level of detail. The others had to change names in the mortal minds and If the mortals knew they would have world peace. Stretching Hades Lord of the Underworld, The Unseen One was getting ready to be seen.

He walked from the balcony to his closet and pulled out a suit that was black as the starlit sky. Opening a wardrobe several pairs of dress shoes inky with glossy shine that reflected his handsome face. HE had changed several times over the years. This time he was more fit and looked more like a king he supposed. He picked the oldest pair that far more broken in and sat it by the suit. A knock sounded. “Enter Hecate.”

A slim woman entered her hair in a tight bun and a few strands hung just to the side by her glasses. “Big night my king?” She asked looking over the suit then her clipboard. “Before you depart for a night of debauchery and hopefully destressing. I need signatures and the fates have disappeared once again.”

Taking the clipboard Hades read the document. Influx a new building had to go up and they needed to meet with Minos about his criteria for where people were sent. The Elysian fields were overflowing. “Set it up for tomorrow morning at nine we will tighten the requirements again. Also expand the housing there and get the spirits building new neighborhoods. Also they went to the party.”

“You will be in tomorrow?” She sighed annoyed he never rested on the seventh day or any he was at work more than most of the shades. That was funny because some were forced to work for free. For eternity.”

“Why wouldn’t I? They hate when I make the appearance and I don’t feel like mingling and seeing the happy faces of my cohorts with families of their own.”

With a curt nod she took her papers and pulled a phone out. “I will see you tomorrow then.” She turned and left.

Hades Stood alone and began to strip. In the corner a rottweiler lay watching with only a yawn. The crisp black shirt he wore hid his scars from the war with his father and he tied the shoes before selecting a tie that had small diamonds sewn in a star light pattern. Once dressed he went out-front and selected a vehicle. A silver mustang from the sixties. The billboards of the night sky advertised the services his subjects produced. He waved to the groundskeepers as he pulled from the gate and drove to the entrance to the Olympus side of the world. It was a short drive as he navigated the streets. Even here they all let him pass. Parking he stepped to the elevator and hit the one of the upper floors. The ride pleasant enough. When the elevator stopped the doors slid open and he emerged on the VIP floor of this years party.

The Gods and guest on this floor moved when they saw the open. Curiosity gave way to fear. Hermes Laughed as he approached the bar. “If it isn’t tall dark and broody. You know with that look you could be the next batman. You should try it they are making another movie.”

Turning Hades watched the crowd and spotted his younger brothers talking and laughing with two nymphs. Or was Zeus wooing another mortal. Hera was going to blow a gasket if she saw that. “You still working with Thanatos?”

“Aye. I love the money.”

“Good.” With that he took a whiskey and walked to the window to see what if anything there was to see this year.”

Persephone eyed the dress warily that Artemis was holding up. "I don't know.." The black dress was mostly lace, and from the front looked demure.. "It's a bit much, don't you think?" Her jade green eyes slipped to her friend who gave an adamant shake of her head. "No! First, it's your first real party. Without you mom helicoptering behind you. Second, it's the first time you can make a first impression on most of them. You really only have met Hera and Hermes, yeah? Then you wanna make them see you as not just Demeter's daughter!" Biting her lower lip she gave a sigh and held her hand out for the dress. "You're sure?" She had no choice but to trust Artemis, having been keep away from the others for most of her life. Sheltered from humans and gods a like for the most part. "Absolutely!" Artemis drew out the word playfully and handed the dress over.

Taking the dress into her room, she stared at it for a long moment before undressing. It was tight fir, she soon found out. The front of the dress was very demure, with it's high neckline, if you took out how it clung to her. It seemed to pull tight across her breasts and hug their way down her narrow torso before flaring out over her hips, still tight. The long sleeves were the same black lace, but see through showing off her pale creamy white skin. It was the back that made the dress daring. Clasped at the back of her neck it opened up to bare all of her back, until just before her ass, showing off the long pale line of skin. Where the opening ended was a rather cute little bow. She came back out, her bare feet padding across the hardwood floors softly.

"So?" A blush had settled into her pale cheeks, flushing them charmingly. Artemis gave a small sound of delight, rising from the couch. Circling her, she arranged the deep red locks around her shoulders. "You look amazing! One more thing!" Artemis hurried back to her room and Persephone adjusted her hair again, letting the deep red curls fall down her back slightly. Artemis was frowning at her as she came back out. "I will put your hair up if you don't stop using it to hide! You look stunning" The threat was light and almost playful as she handed over the shoes she had gone to fetch. They were black and laced as well, with a high heel that would easily add to her five three. Persephone stuck her tongue out and took the shoes, sitting to put them on. "We are going to be late.." Artemis snorted softly and shrugged. "Maybe, but we can't rush perfection!"

---

Persephone was glued to Artemis's side while she mingled and introduced her. People seemed friendly enough, but she had never done well in crowds. It likely didn't help that she felt self-conscious in the outfit Artemis had bullied her into wearing. She was the goddess of spring.. Sighing she looked across the room. She spotted Zeus talking with Poseidon talking to two nymphs. She smiled softly, there was always drama, from what she heard from Artemis with the big three. Her eyes moved on and settled on someone else. He was handsome, and based on his attire she had a vague idea of who he was. Hades. She looked away, biting her lower lip. "Stop that, you're going to ruin your lipstick!" The chiding voice of Artemis made her turn back. "Sorry!" She gave a small smile and looked to Selene. It would be best if she at least tried wouldn't it?

An hour or so later she was sitting at a table idly playing with the rim of her cup while Artemis and Eros chatted. Rising she smiled and motioned to her glass. She was going to get a refill. Heading towards the balcony she slipped outside into the cool night air, taking a deep breath. She was enjoying the party for the most part, but it was a bit overwhelming. Moving to one side, she took shelter underneath the branches of crab-apple tree, it's white blooms delicately scenting the air. Smiling she closed her eyes, leaning against it's trunk. Persephone knew should couldn't linger long or Artemis would have hear head. But, just for a moment, she could rest.

Hermes was chattering again near his ear when his brothers came up beside him. “Well if it isn’t the most eligible bachelor of the twelve.” Zeus who was slurring words said. Hades ignored him though he was watching the crowd more intently. Artemis was coming in her entourage having a new face that stuck out like a rose among a bed of weeds.

“Who is that?” He said slugging back another whiskey. If Zeus had been slurring it meant he was drinking well before the party. They all held alcohol well. He played with the empty glass watching the red head with curiosity. He held it out to a server and sipped the drink as the dark eyes followed her across the room.

His attention stayed there while Poseidon said, “Oh that’s…Demeter’s daughter…kore…no the mortals call her something else flowerery. Perseano no no…” He snapped his fingers and as if on cue the forest nymph appeared. “Name her.”

“Persephone my king Flower goddess of the spring.” With that she left to get more wine or champagne.

Hades though didn’t care what her name was. It didn’t matter he was destined to be alone it seemed. He turned to his brother at the mention of fates. “What I did not catch that.”

Zeus pointed at three shades. “The fates or did you let someone out of the underworld?”

With a turn he shrugged, “Digital avatars they said were all the rage. You should know I don’t let anyone out.” The three sisters that could tell past future and present events from any perspective looked like ghostly nude women flickering in and out in certain lights. “Leave them be they refuse to review any of your indiscretions as is.” This was true Zeus bugged them to no end trying to hide his infidelities from Hera. “Excuse me I need fresh air.”

Dodging the crowds, he walked out to the balcony where the trees seemed to be in more of a full bloom than usually were allowed. There she was more beautiful than even Aphrodite in his eye. Though he knew that would cause a stir if uttered allowed. He leaned on the railing watching the denizens of Olympus not invited go about their lives. He saw the dark entrance to the underworld be given wide berth. Somethings never would change.

“You look sad Son of Cronus.” It was the eldest of the fates in her digital form she looked like a ghost. “Fate has such in store for you tonight. Be sure to keep that temper in check when you slighted.” With that she slinked back to the party her new form shifting for just the briefest of moments back to that of a hag before going back to that ghostly digital shade.

Persephone didn't look up to the sound of the door, she figured she'd just find a rather cross Artemis glaring at her. If she wanted her, she could say something. When nothing came she opened her eyes and looked towards the door. She caught sight of him almost immediately and her suspicions were confirmed by the ghostly image. All of Olympus knew of the fates. Persephone didn't know if she should leave him in peace, alone on the balcony.. But something else whispered along the back of her mind. She watched him as he looked down on the people below rushing from place to place.

She stepped from the shade of the tree, moving closer, the wind catching locks of her hair and dancing with them as she moved towards him. She knew, people would say she should be afraid of Hades. Perhaps she should be, but she didn't feel the pull telling her to flee. "Do, you mind I join you?" Her voice was soft, sweet and slightly husky. While she had been there first, she wasn't a fool to just encroach on his personal space. Stopping a few arm lengths away she looked out over the people he had been gazing out. "They look like worker ants, scurrying about.." It would seem unkind, her words and she blushed shaking her head quickly. Her hair swayed in the wind with the movement perfuming the air with the scent of flowers and coming rains. "I just mean we are so high" Her words were mumbled, the blush deepening. This was no way to prove she wasn't just some country bumpkin.

She fell silent, looking at the world below. She noticed the same thing he had, the wide breath and frowned softly. Death brought new life, she never understood that fear. Without winter and the death that came with it, she would have been useless. She glanced at him from under her lashes, her green eyes lingering on his face. It must be lonely, being the god of the underworld, if people treated him they way his gates were treated. She knew loneliness, but she was barely a maid of nineteen.. And while she didn't feel pity for him, she had a feeling that her sympathies might be unwelcome.

He glanced at his side at the beautiful rose that actually asked if she could impose. It was refreshing the others just assumed he would not mind. “Free city-state I suppose.” HE watched the various denizens. “They do have a hypnotic order here.” He heard the party kick into higher gear as someone yelled. “DIONYSUS!” He shook his head it was time to leave he supposed, the party scene was never his.

He wanted to leave but now he actually wanted to talk to the brave goddess. “I suppose you can intrude. Just don’t left Artimis see you with me. She might pull a knife.” He had seen her get annoyed with the other male gods. He did not run her ire though because he stayed in the underworld. Though now that he was up here, he hoped to find the spreader of the rumor that concerned him. “I see her style has imprinted on you.” He said it with just a glance in her direction.

He hated to admit that it looked good on her. Though he often had thing for beauty that was hidden. There was something about pealing layers of clothing away to reveal flesh. He gripped the railing hearing soft music play from inside. Then out of character for the underworld and Olympus most eligible bachelor he asked, “You care for a dance? Out here. I think it causes too much a stir in there.” He offered his hand to her watching her with the cold blue eyes that seemed to look like galaxies in the moon light.

The commotion behind them made her jump a little and she looked over her shoulder towards it. It seemed to be getting rowdier and she was very happy to be out here rather than in here. She looked up at him as he gave her permission to join him, a soft smile slowly spreading across her lips. "She does have a thing against men, there is a strict no men rule in our apartment" She looked back out, her mind wandering for a moment. It was a silly rule, what man would she bring back? She looked down and frowned before looking back up at him.

"Do you not like it?" She wondered if the dress had been a mistake, it did make her feel uncomfortable. Artemis had sworn though that what she had wanted to wear was so very outdated. At the very least, she didn't stand out in the dress she wore, had she worn what she had been originally? She bit her cheek and touched the lace along one of her arms. "She wanted me to fit in.." Her voice trailed off.

She blinked and looked to the offered hand. No one had ever asked her to dance.. She smiled shyly and nodded, her jade eyes meeting those mesmerizing blue eyes. She held his gaze, her shy smile growing slightly, blush slowly working it's way into her cheeks. "I'd like that" She had no idea that this was unusual for him, or that what dancing with him could bring. He was being kind to her and he was very handsome. What harm could a little dance do?

He shrugged at the worry about the dress. “It is lovely just not your style, I think. What do I know though? Taking her hand, he led her in a dance holding her apart so any prying eyes would not see him taking advantage of a young goddess. It was a stupid risk. Though what was being a king without risk.

He smiled at the warmth she seemed to radiate and how she had the scent of flowers. It was not a scent he was used to in the underworld. Spinning her he watched the clingy dress and laughed, “You should come to the shopping districts in the …lower floors you could find your own style there.”

Inside as the two danced other lesser gods came and went. Eros felt a twitch. Fresh lust he was sure at first. No something he didn’t feel often here. He looked around and shrugged it had to be someone here but there were so many relationships that were throwing him off he didn’t know for sure.

Hades bowed as the song ended. “Thank you for the dance it has given me more of a night than the party ever could have.” He was going to leave now though why he didn’t know. It was better to talk with her than be in there or the quiet of the house he lived in alone.

She shook her head, hair swaying. "No, you're right it's not.. I let her bully me into it." Persephone's voice held amusement, not anger at the bullying. It had been the kind of thing she suspected friends did, out of a place of love, not malice. Artemis had just wanted her to fit in, and while she did as well, perhaps changing who she was, wasn't the correct answer. The dress wasn't her and honestly neither was the party. Sometimes, however it was good to step out of one's comfort zone and try something new.

The music was softly echoing from behind the glass, faint but still enough for them to dance by. He kept a respectable distance from her, which was thoughtful. Even as he spun her out and drew her back in. She smiled up at him as he suggested he suggested shopping for her own style. "In your realm?" Persephone didn't seem afraid of the idea, instead she smiled brighter. "I'd like that, but I don't think Artemis would accompany me" Blushing she broke eye contact and admitted "I have always wanted to see the underworld though, Artemis said that it's morbid..." She had been told tales as a wee goddess about the shady parks for the mortal children of the gods and those they hand picked to live within Elysium's borders. It wasn't the only place she wished to see however.

She smiled at him and unsure, curtsied back to his bow. He was, after all, a King. She smiled shyly up at him and tucked a lock of red hair behind her ear. "Thank you.. Maybe we could do it again.. at the next party" She blushed again, something she seemed prone to in his presence.

He laughed at the comment of the morbid nature. “I dropped the morbid motif years and eons ago. I saw a city that looked beautiful the mortals would create in a desert. Lights so bright it rivaled the sun.” He thought back on it and continued, “It became the basis. Think of it as an eternal Paris. No sun but the night life is what you want. I get my money and the others in my employ by running the shops. Currently working on a new phone that I’m sure everyone will go crazy for.” He was the unseen god and with that he had wealth and command to make what ever he wanted.

Fishing in his pocket he pulled his business card. It was metal and embossed with a simple cell and his original name, Aidoneus. He slipped it in her hand and from his breast pocket he pulled a shiny black gift card. “If you need to convince her use that it has an absurd balance that she won’t spend through.”

There was commotion inside as Ares and his friend Kronos came in shirtless consorts on each arm and smiling. “Conquest for returning champions! The underworld is filled with new souls tonight.” Hades pulled his phone Hecate was texting in all caps. 911 BOSS INFLUX CODE RED! “I have to go tweedled dee and dumb did something in the mortal realm.” Another text chimed different than the first then another various deities he worked with. The first was the ferry man. the other Thanatos. Influx was bad there was not supposed to be anything big today because of the party. It was the stipulation of him coming.

Turning on his heel he went back into the party and stared the two down. “WHAT DID YOU DO?” His temper was rising the party had halted as he walked up to Ares and smacked his nephew across the back of his head. “The ferry is overloaded and threatening to sink into the Styx.” To Kratos he glared. “Go on explain.”

Ares just laughed, “it was a beautiful battle ten thousand dead under rubble of bombs and a natural disaster to top it off. The mortals are at war again.”

Hades turned to his nephew rising into his old form the anger on his face apparent. “Did you not think whose domain you tampered with? Now I get to leave not to warm my bed but handle the overflow.”

Kratos sneered, “Your bed is just cold with dead whores I hear.”

Persephone laughed softly, the sound bright. Her voice was light and playful, the teasing quite obvious. "But it was morbid at one point?" She smiled still and closed her eyes as she tried to picture what he described. She had never been to Paris, but she thought she could still picture it. The picture in her mind was likely more based in fantasy though. Still, it sounded lovely. Slowly opening her eyes she smiled up at him. "It sounds pretty" Pretty seemed like such a silly word to describe his lands when one thought about them, but it did sound such. She took the offered business card, the tip of one finger tracing over his name, before her gaze lifted back to his. She blushed and took the second card, a blush in her cheeks. It was incredibly kind of him. "T-Thank you!" She was unaware if Artemis would join her, but she was sure she could likely talk one of her other friends into going, or go alone.

She turned towards the raised voices and frowned. She nodded at him. "Thank you for tonight.." Her voice carried after him as he slipped through the door. She followed behind him after a time, just in time to catch the end of his shout. Persephone didn't always do well around conflict but she lingered just behind him, not wanting to draw attention to herself. Though as Ares told of their exploits she gave a little gasp. What he said sounded, horrifying! Hands over her mouth she jumped a little as a hand touched her shoulder. Hera looked down at her with kind eyes.

Hera had seen the dance between the two and while she didn't know what game Hades was playing at, she was content to leave it be for now. He had been a perfect gentleman from what she had seen, unlike her idiot of a husband. Raw anger spiked through her as she gentle pressed Persephone behind her and towards Artemis and her friends. Looking towards the girl she turned back to the morons in front of her. Her voice was like ice, snaking through the room towards Kratos "At least his bed is not empty dear nephew.."

Her smile grew as he flinched slightly, his eyes slipping past Hades to her. One knew better than to trifle with Hera when she was pissed, and oh boy she looked it. "This was a party, and you have interrupted it" Her voice had taken on a soft purring allure that meant someone, was about to be hurt. "Hades, would you trust these.. boys" She put great emphasis on the word "To help you in the underworld? Have them do something even a human child could manage" She touched his arm lightly, having slowly come closer to him. His anger was likely to scare someone like Kore, she knew. The girl had been sheltered and hidden from them.. And whatever he was doing, she wouldn't allow him to hurt her. "Whatever menial job you can find, just get them out of my sight" Her eyes turned to Zeus, who quickly detangled himself from the nymph wrapped around him. Eyes narrowed, Hera sighed though her nose before she headed away from the lot of them. One scene tonight was enough..

Persephone watched with slight awe at the way Hera handed the situation. She knew her from before, having visited once or twice. The kindness she had shown her had always been there but she had always felt aloof. She was the queen of the gods, it was expected she supposed. Artemis had pulled her into her arms and was frowning something fierce. "Where have you been! I was starting to worry.." Eros looked over at the pair, his smile growing. So close to one part of source, he knew the sweet little Kore had met someone.

“My bed is no one’s business.” he said with clenched teeth. He took a second to think and with a snap of his fingers two portals appeared under their feet. It was a trick he learned early on it helped to get to other places quickly. The most unique problem though is it was scary as hell to others. Out of the portal skeletal shades began to pull on the two lesser gods feet and sink them lower in the ground. He stopped them at chest level though as they fought to escape. “As you wish Hera.” He stared down at his nephew and the other one. “Go put them on the boat and delver ever soul on the shore to Minos.” His eyes sparked with creation as started the pulling again making them disappear.

In hindsight he really should have not done that because as the lights came up the party mood was gone. He dusted his hands and went to the elevator hitting the car lot then thinking better of it just decided to disappear like he was meant to. The smell of sulfur engulfed the elevator bank and he was gone hidden in his domain once again. There was a throng of souls waiting to be processed. They didn’t understand when the system worked it was fine, he had foreknowledge of influxes because the fates told him when they cut strings. The blind spot was when something happened when they were away. It is why they hated to leave as much as he. They would be cutting all night now. In fact they disappeared before he had and he saw new arrivals by the thousands already waiting. “Oi those two took my boat. An old man leaned on a can next to him snapping him to reality. It was Caron the ferryman. “Go to the party they fucked up. They fix it.”

He disappeared to his office and began to work on placement it was going to take all night to get this back in order before he would stop. Likely he was going to be up for another week before he took a break. Then there was the thought of Persephone. Thats what his brother called her. He didn't ask the name she was too young and it was impropper to even ask for the dance. Why was he missing her though.

The party did end shortly there after. It was a few hours later that Persephone dared to pull out the small metal business card. "Aidoneus" His name was whispered. Closing her eyes she pulled up the memory of the dance, his face. Sighing softly she opened her eyes and looked toward her door. She knew Artemis would likely still be up, but was unsure if she should bother her. She wanted to ask her to go with her tomorrow to the underworld.. She also wanted to see him again, as unlikely as it would be that she would. Especially after the influx of souls.

---

Weeks passed and Persephone couldn't shake the memory of the dance. Of him. Artemis noticed and tried to pry it out of her but Kore, had steadfastly refused to talk about it. She knew, more than anything it was likely one-sided. A silly crush on a man who had likely forgotten her right away. What about her was memorable anyway? Sighing she looked toward her dresser, where his metal business card was propped up against her mirror, the black gift card tucked behind it. Biting her lower lip she looked into the mirror. The new phone was out she had heard. She could at least pick up.. It would be her first.

Dressing Kore pulled on a deep green skirt, that fell just past her fingertips, the soft fabric warm and slightly swoosy when she turned. A grey colored sweater in a chunky knit was slipped over her head, falling off one shoulder, exposing her pale skin. Grey thigh highs were pulled on, decorated with deep green ivy at the tops. A pair of deep green suede boots was the last part of her outfit. Kore braided her wild red locks into a lose braid, before grabbing the cards off her dresser. She had decided to go alone. She didn't need playful comments about how morbid she was being by visiting.. And some time to think would be nice.

Grabbing a cab to the entrance, she stood before it, watching the people skirt around it like they could somehow catch death like a common cold. Shaking her head, she headed into the darkness of the entrance, cool air brushing against her face. She breathed in deep and smiled softly into the dark, slowly coming out the other side into the world of twilight Hades had described. It was a bit daunting at first, towering buildings and neon lights. She didn't know what she had expected, not in truth, but it was lovely, the world he had created. People moved here, like they had on the other side of the gate, carrying on with their afterlife and or lives. Still smiling softly she headed down the twilight street. This could be fun, right? Window shopping and shopping alike?

It was a little while later, that she had a brand new phone in her hands. Having used his gift card, it was only polite to thank him.

Hi,
I got one of those new phones you told me were coming out.
It's my first. I wanted to thank you for the gift card, it's how I got it..

I hope things have settled down.

Kore

"Goddess, that was awkward.." She whispered to herself looking at the little text saying sent. She wasn't good at phones, or people really. Sighing she walked down the sidewalk, pausing in front of a book store. She doubted that he even remembered her.. Had she even told him her name? Groaning softly she slipped into the store. He'd have no idea who was texting him..

It was a week of constant tweaking to get things in order. He ruled but had to keep order by balancing the duties of the others that called his domain home. The two trouble makers had cleared the shore with little lip. His phone chimed and he read the message from an unknown contact as Hecate came in her hair in a bun with a pile of forms. “Question why if you get the new phone when it come off the production line do you then go out and buy one with your personal expense card?”

He arched a brow. “What are you on about?” He took the forms and began signing them without a look.

“You bought the new phone with your personal account card. I got a flag because one of the souls thought it was suspicious because that card is never used. Ever.”

Then it dawned on him he pulled out his wallet there was his id then and his gift card with an infinite spending limit…no there was the guest card he gave to his family when it was time to buy gifts. “Shit I gave the wrong card. Ill be back in a few.”

“Take your time you just put yourself on leave for a month.” Hecate smiled. Hera had suggested it. She said something about him needing a break and she agreed. It was so easy to deal with hades frustrate him with a little out of order business then spring paperwork on him. It was how she earned two promotions and pay to go with it. Then again when he found out she was put on nights for a bit. A bit to Hades though were a thousand years.

“What!?!”

“Hera said you needed a break go deal with whoever has the card.”

He took the slip she held out to him and stormed out of the building. Hera was not one to interfere and he looked over the leave slip. What was he going to do for a month? Texting Persephone he said, where are you? This will sound weird but gave you the wrong card. Knock on the table three times and I will be there in no time. Hopefully it was her or he was going to have a bad time explaining to someone that he was taking the card away.

A sweet little chime came from her purse and she blinked, confused by the sound. Having a phone was a new and well quite novel thing for Kore. Fishing out the small little device she unlocked the screen. She could see her text above the one she had gotten, so she knew who it was. She was sitting in a nook of the book shop, a book in her lap. Looking around she shrugged some and knocked on the small table beside her. The wrong card? She set her phone down on the table and fished out the black card, turning it over. It had no real identifying marks she could see, so it would be easy to confuse for another she supposed.

Shifting in her seat she placed the card on her phone. He said he'd be here in no time.. So, she left her book closed. It felt weird for the King to pop out of thin air into a bookshop in his own realm. Looking down at the book in her lap she smiled. She had a little of her own money, so she could easily buy this one. A book on the flora and fauna of the underworld.. Most of it located from what she read in Elysium, but not all. Like the flower on the cover, Asphodel. It was theorized that Tarturus had once just grown them wildly, and that was what had prompted the fields.. Smiling down at the flower she wondered if it was true. Had Hades made the fields of Elysium based off this one flower? Or was the book wrong.

She smiled again and looked up, green eyes searching for him. Shifting in her seat, she picked up the other books she had pulled from the shelves near by and began to replace them. She would only be getting one anyway. She had decided on that before his text. Stretching up on tiptoe she pushed back a rather large tome with the tips of her fingers, or at least tried to the edge of the book giving a wibble. "Fiddlesticks.."

Hades appeared like a ghost pushing the book back in place. “I forgot how short you were.” He said with a smile. Sitting at her table the shopkeeper came over with a cup of tea. Prompt service was always a pleasure. He tipped the man with a small gem and watched the young goddess. Today he was wearing a pair of simple slacks and a long sleeve shirt with the sleeves rolled up. He had been working on a new plan for where to store all the new souls. He hated to do it but it was getting almost too full to operate his various businesses. He may have to think about reincarnating more. It was always an option. “I figured the black motiph would be the end of me.” Picking the card he put it back in his wallet replacing it with a silver in color one.

“You should have gotten the bigger phone. Though I suppose the tiny one is fitting for you.” He traced the flower on the front he forgot how much work had been put into the once barren fields of the dead. He rather enjoyed the work. “So how do you like it in the underworld so far?”

She gave a small gasp, as the book slid into place and she turned as he stepped back. Blushing lightly she gave a small laugh. "Yeah, I can never reach anything on the top shelf" Brushing her skirt she took the seat opposite him, crossing her legs at the ankle. She smiled at the the shopkeeper, her face friendly and open. Turning back to him she tipped her head to one side, chuckling. "Does seem to have caused a small problem, I could pay you back.." She trailed off, it seemed silly to offer as he slid the silver one over. She smiled at him, touching it with the tip of her finger. "Thank you"

Kore looked to her phone and laughed, shaking her head. "It's my first phone, and I will likely use it only to text Artemis and Hermes.." She placed her hand on top of his for a moment and smiled up at him. "And the smaller one is plenty big" She nodded to their hands before removing hers. Her smaller hand could have been easily cradled in his large one. She looked towards the window, gazing out onto the twilight landscape of buildings. "Honestly?" She turned her gaze back to him, her smile bright. "It's really pretty.. The way you designed it." Her head turned back to watch the people moving past the shop. "You've made a land of beauty for those who are no longer living.. I think, if people knew this they'd be less afraid" She shrugged softly and blushed, looking back to him. "I still want to explore more, but I want to take my time. Is there any one place that you think I should see?" Tucking a lose curl of fiery red hair behind her ear she gazed up at him.

“Hera says it is a compulsion that I have to work. I think it has merit I get bored and play with my creation far more than the mortals’ lives. I leave that Zeus and Poseidon.” He sipped his tea shrugging. His eyes wandered over her form today. She was very beautiful. He half wondered if Eros was playing a joke. He would hate to think that this wonderful goddess by he had seen so far was in on it. “If you like I can show you around while you are here. That is unless you need to be going.” He was half worried that other denizens would see them together. Though the other Olympians stayed out unless there was something they wanted. They nymphs came and went. It was always hard to change public perception. There was a lull for a bit people forgot. Then the nineties happened and Disney put out a bastardized version of Greek mythology. He was the most hated god of the twelve. He had the movie fixed down here Walter was quite good spirited for it and his punishment was fitting for a man that had his own demons. The underworld had a rather good movie businesses. It was very fitting given he got a listers to z listers. He was waiting on James Cameron to die still the fates refused to tell him the date though.

She smiled and tipped to her head to one side. She had no idea of the fears that went through his mind, or rather reservations. It never would have occurred to her to consider them. She liked him and he was a king. Other than making her feel a little silly for think she would mean anything to him as a minor goddess, of spring and flowers nonetheless. "I don't think there is anything wrong with being drawn to your work" She offered him a shy smile. "Besides, the mortals have enough to worry about without us messing with them" She thought back to the night they had met, a frown on her face for a moment. Death was necessary, but pointless death was something else altogether.

She blinked and giggled. "For someone with a compulsion for work, you seem eager to escape it" Her tone, much like her giggle was playful, a blush in her cheek as she nodded. "But, I would really like that. Who better to show me around than the one who created this paradise" She picked up her book, hand brushing his lightly. The innocent contact making her heart race "Let me pay for this first?" Rising she pulled out some drachma from her pocket. Within moments she was back, gathering her things. The new silver card and phone, her book slipped into her purse along with them. She held a hand out to him, a shy smile on her lips. "That is, if you're not too busy?"

Last edited:
“My assistant has me cleared out for the month. Most of the work is caught up for a while.” He led her to the street and opened his car door for her. Sliding in the driver seat he figured he would start at the gates and work lower. As they neared the oldest part of the structures of the underworld. The city died away giving over to older building that turned to huts then flat land on the road to the tall back gates. Sitting next to the gate was a dog its three massive heads watching the gate intently. It was the breed of rottweiler by the looks of it. The gate was towering over even the dog who stood ten times larger than a normal rottie. When he saw the car, he stood and gave a stretch the sound of his massive back bopping sent echoes through the cave entrance. Souls came in from the docks on the other side as the dog shifted to single head and walked to the car.

Stepping from the mustang Hades patted the dogs still large head and scratched behind the ear. “This is the vicious gate keeper letting new souls in and making sure no one leaves. The dog cocked his head and a look came over him he disappeared in thing cloud of shadows. “He can move faster than even I can here.” The great beast returned and sat at Persephone’s feet his way of demanding to be petted. “Cerberus stop that you are not a common dog that needs attention.”

She smiled softly at him. His tone seemed slightly annoyed at his assistant. She didn't know him well enough to be sure, though. It seemed plausible for someone who was such a workaholic to basically be shut out of his job. "Thank you" She slipped into his car, smoothing her skirt as he climbed in with her. She looked out the window as the drove, watching his kingdom speed by. "It must feel nice to have most of your work caught up though, right?" She glanced at him in the darkness of the car, his strong profile standing out against the lights in the distance.

The landscaped changed rather dramatically and it was interesting to see. Ahead of the car, she could see the large gates, though large was a poor choice of words. In front of them sat a towering form of a dog. As he pulled to a stop, she watched curiously as the shape shifted, stretching. She smiled and slipped from the car, watching master and pet interact, her smile warming.

She gasped as Cerberus vanished and reappeared at her feet. A bright laugh slipped from her and she held her hand out to him, petting against his silken fur with both hands. "Aww aren't you just the cutest!" She smiled at Hades, while he happily petted the 'vicious' gate keeper, who's tail was beginning to wag. "He is handsome" She looked back to Cerberus "You are ferocious," The say she said it, was just as playful, the way one would have talked to any normal dog. "I bet you are the best at keeping the souls where they need to be" She placed a kiss on his wet nose and giggled. Blushing she looked to Hades again. "Did you find him, or him you?" Her head tipped to one side, red curls falling over one eye while she continued to pet Cerberus.

“Truth be told he was here before I was wandering. He followed me as I worked then I just adopted the great keeper I suppose.” There were many tales of his dog his nephew supposedly beat him or Hades and took him to the top side. Far from it. Hades had loaned it to Hercules for a day. Mortals would never cease to amaze me. While he was an effective gate keeper. He was probably Hades best friend. Pulling out a small box he took a treat from it and tossed it in the air. Without hesitation Cerberus snapped his head up catching the treat. “Good boy. Laying down at her feet the lumbering dog rolled over on his back. “He seems to have taken quite the shine to you.”

She smiled as he laid down, her hand moving to his ear scratching lightly. Looking at Hades she smiled softly. "He isn't normally this friendly?" She trusted him of course, but he seemed like a big teddy bear. Kore however, didn't want to be facing him down if she was a soul trying to leave. She doubted he would be as sweet then. Bending at the waist she placed a kiss on Cerberus's nose and rose, brushing her hair behind her ear.

"I am glad you two found each other" She smiled again and moved closer to him. Standing within arms reach, she looked up at the gate. Gazing at it, she smiled softly. "I never understood why people were so afraid of it down here." She blushed and shook her head. "I mean, I do understand the fear the mortals have, they don't know what awaits them after they close their eyes on their life for a final time.. But even other gods seem to fear it, knowing they'd have a place here as well." She looked to him. "But it's clear you've taken time and effort to make the best of it that you could for them.." She bit her lower lip and looked away from him, watching as a new soul drifted through the gate on the ferry.

He shrugged. We all fear what we don’t understand. That was his philosophy. “He bit Apollo once when he was dared to come down here. There’s no sun so he weaker here.” He gestured to the car. “I suppose they just don’t like the lose themselves. Here they all are cut off. I have power here because the dead are my worshipers. No matter how loyal they were in life here they become my subjects.”

Getting in he drove quietly to nicer part the Elysium fields. Well gated community now. The houses were larger than life in some cases and shades guarded the entrance with extreme prejudice. He gestured at the gate made of gold it seemed. “Here the most heroic reside golf and other activities for a life well lived.” He watched her. She was different fascinated with his lands like no other god of goddess before. He wondered why though. This place had a charm he made it after all in his creative way home. This was his lot he sucked at the game but was not unhappy with it. “They get the better perks but if they want they could return to another go in life.”

She chuckled softly as he told her about Cerberus and Apollo. She nodded some, what he said made sense. "It would make sense." Kore gave a small shrug as she slipped back into his car. Looking out the window she spoke. "Though life and death are just a part of living. I know no one wants to die, but it's part of the experience of living, isn't it? At least with plants.. New blossoms spring from the death of winter.." She looked to him, feeling silly.

She looked toward the fields and smiled softly. "Do many decide to go back?" It seemed peaceful, though having lived the life of a hero she wondered if they'd crave that life style again.. or if they would shy away from it. depending on the story not all had happy lives. Chuckling softly she shook her head some. "I assume that is a perk, resurrection.. Because the life I saw the others living today, while not extraordinary, they have good lives it seems. Or is it unlife?" She was naturally shy, but she was enjoying talking with him, seeing his realm, even if she felt like what she said would matter little to a king.

Pulling his phone, he brought out statistics for the entire underworld. It was useful data. He had built an empire on down here that was managed much better than the other domains. “Hmm, Lets see 31.7 percent. Minos appropriates all babies to be sent back and others apply and are approved on case by case basis. If they go to the Tartarus they never come back.” There was a clap of thunder in the distant. “Hmm speaking of.” He pointed the far edge of kingdom had a perpetual storm that warned people away from the prison. He pulled up the info and arched his brow. “Child serial killer just entered there. That was the thunder.”

He shrugged. “Life and death have a balance but I care not for that balance. I only care if funeral rites are observed and my kingdom grows. If I wanted, I could have the thrones of my brothers. I don’t care for the upper domains though.”

Back
Top Bottom