Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Princess and Knight (Supple & Pennont)

The Supple Nail

Super-Earth
There was a carnival air in the barrack mess hall, the boisterous voices of knights and armsmen joined in rowdy songs and boastful reminiscence as frothy mugs of ale were snatched off trays along with dripping spits of meat. Gauntleted fists pounded in time to marching songs and smiling serving maids held aloft trays filled with the hearty fare of soldiers as they bustled through the crowd.

It hadn't been a large battle, truly, but any victory guarding the kingdom from roving bands of encroaching barbarians was worth celebrating. The men were in high spirits, and it was time to feast.

The revels were just getting to full pitch when a respectful silence began to sweep from one end of the hall to the other. A new figure marched in. Back straight, square shouldered, with a mane of lush hair the color of fire and a look in her eye like death tamed in a bottle, Knight Captain Alessia Taryn strode through the ranks of her men. A wave of salutes and deep bows followed in her wake. She wasn't difficult to see, standing as she was a half head taller than even the men in her regiment. Her garb was simple chain mail and a sable cloak pinned at the throat by her badge of office. Cut more for mobility than protection, it revealed a womanly frame at once cloaked in corded muscle and smooth, creamy skin. Her powerful shoulders flowed from a muscular back into a tiny waist, round hips, with thighs that could crack oak and a flat stomach like a washboard. There was power in her, and it was as much for her might as her tactical genius that her men idolized her.

"Three cheers for the Knight Captain! Three cheers for victory!" A cry was raised.

A fierce smile filled with pride for her soldiers spread across Alessia's beautiful face and she snatched a tankard to raise in toast.

"To victory!" She cried, and the cheers of her men rocked the castle to its foundations.

Her men held too much awe for her, too much respect, to look on her as anything but their commander. She quickly fell in at the head of one of the long, scrubbed wooden tables, joining even the bawdiest of ballads and reveling with her men.

"So this is the mess hall, the stench of cheap ale and sweat is dreadful." A posh in feminine voice cut into the gruff conversations held by the many knights, while there wasn't immediate quiet the sound of chatter began to die down because no one wanted to risk upsetting the Princess herself.

Charlene Annworth was a woman who rarely wandered outside of her castle, only ever leaving when both parents demanded she attend either family get together's or business with other royal families, it would be disrespectful if only some had shown up and not all, much to Charlene's dismay. Today however she was feeling adventurous, anything could pique one's curiosity when immensely bored, at the moment nothing inside her usual space was intriguing, the novel she decided to read felt like one she had read a thousand times before, she was promised new clothing to try on tomorrow, and Charlene certainly wasn't going to spend the day in the dining room and risk turning plump like the other nobles who decided to entertain themselves through food.

A cautious step was taken when going outside, eyeing the floor, wary of whatever horrors may ruin her shoes as she debated just where to go, no set path in mind. Or at least that had been the case until the sound of cheering had caught her attention, gaze having fallen onto a building with armor and weapons scattered around the outside, making it easy to piece together it was the knights mess hall.

The majority of the knights were hardly spared a glance from her, Charlene had cared little about most of them, to her they were simply weapons meant to fight for her family until the day their luck would run out and they'd be killed, or grow old enough to retire peacefully, neither option really made Charlene care more about faceless hoard of fighters. There was only one person that had her interests, and the head of red hair was easy to spot from the crowd and she silently walked over to the Captain.

Once close enough, Charlene began running her head through the long red locks with little fear of any potential consequences, she was the princess and the princess was free to have and do what she wanted. "I admit it's quite impressive how your men proudly cheer your name, Captain, my first thought is what a strong and devoted leader you must be." Charlene stepped even closer soon after, pressing her front against the larger woman's back "My second thought however is, just how far does that devotion go? Surely you want to prove yourself, I should be one of the first people you want to prove yourself to." Charlene's tone was collected and serious as if this were a pressing matter, but really she was holding back the urge to grin, wanting to test just how far she could push Alessia.

Alessia was mid ballad when Princess Charlene began to move through the boisterous crowd. A small knot of half strangled singing cut off abruptly around her and hastily standing knights tried to pull themselves into some semblance of respectable order. They pushed themselves off benches to stand at attention and more than one upended a mug over himself in his haste to salute. The mess hall was hardly as raucous and uncouth as a public house, but soldiers will be soldiers, and even the noble knights were bawling out more than one off-color tavern song.

Gradually the din died down until the Princess's words could be heard over the general hubbub. For her part Alessia cottoned on more quickly than most. Senses honed on the battlefield let little slip past her notice, and she was standing properly sipping ale by the time Charlene drew abreast of her.

"Princess." She said and offered a deep bow.

Alessia held small regard for the princess. She thought her spoiled and manipulative, and while her duties often kept her out of the castle she found herself avoiding the princess when she was stationed there. The knight captain had joined the kingsguard because of her enormous respect for Charlene's father, not out of any sense of patriotism or civic pride. A warrior at heart, she had longed to join the knights and test her mettle against the foes always assailing the kingdom.

And so this primping, entitled girl was more an annoyance than impediment. She was a pretty little package, to be sure, but Alessia simply couldn't stand her.

"Of course, princess, my devotion is beyond question. To your father." She said, an ever so slight emphasis on the last word.

"But pray tell, what brings you to our banquet? Surely you have no interest in military matters. I have to confess my surprise that you would indulge in such...rough amusements." She smiled a cat's smile and stood tall, towering over the little princess. Her tone was perfectly cordial. Perhaps a bit too much so, the emphasis on formality making it clear that only protocol prevented her from speaking her mind.

The answer had shifted from Charlene needing to hold back a grin to being unable to stop a rather irritated sneer in response, so Alessia wanted to pick where her devotion lay, that level arrogance was honestly insulting not just because it was spitting on the written rule of following all members of the royal not just her father, but it was also spitting on Charlene personally. Was she not good for this woman's devotion, she shared the same name as her father, the same blood, and had been preparing her life to one day take the throne as well.

Not to mention being Queen required elegance, authority, charisma, what was necessary for Alessia's profession? Brute strength and the ability to swing a weapon around, she nearly unloaded it all right before the redhead but stopped at the last moment, she knew words alone wouldn't be enough. Charlene could rant all she wished to Alessia, but it was with actions she would be able to show the other woman just how much power she held.

So the sneer was forced back into a smile, Charlene relaxing her lips best as possible to avoid making it look like it were being forced. "There isn't much to say, with so little to do at the moment, what I abhor has become an interest, but I'll confess I'm rather inexperienced in rough amusements." Charlene held her hands together and intertwined her fingers, acting as if it were something to be distressed over, wanting to appeal to the sympathy some of the other knights in the room may have had, she wanted as many on her side as possible for what she planned next.

"I know! Perhaps I can be shown how it's done before I actually participate myself." A sound of excitement wasn't difficult to add in her voice because she was excited, jut for a different reasons, she was going to have a bit of fun with Alessia. Turning to the other knights, there was an optimistic smile on her face "For my first lesson I want to see what it's like to apprehend a prisoner, but not just any, one with a lot of strength that requires multiple people to take down."

She then began to turn as if trying to decide who would play prisoner before she was facing Alessia once more. "I know, Captain Taryn can be the one to do it!" Her eyes darted between the Captain and the other men in the mess hall, this time Charlene allowed the malice to show in her smile, wanting to convey the message that if either side refused, it would spell poorly for the both of them.

Back
Top Bottom