Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Prince and The Thief (PastryFluff & SWN1994)

As the guards left them the prince returned his attention to Rosales who seemed, with a heavy heart, to dismiss his nightmare as a "stupid dream". It wasn't so stupid enough that it caused the other to scream in fear. Daniel was surprised as his hand was taken. Comparing the two it would be clear who was who when it came to the social scale. Gently the young man intertwine their fingers, much like his mother would do whenever he had nightmares as a boy, a silent way to say he was there.
Shaking his head the red head as he was not going to be able to fall asleep anytime soon nor was a desk really that comfortable to fall asleep on.

Daniel reframed from flinching when his hand was squeezed as he had been train to hide such small actions though "practice" with his father and a few of the men in the inner circle. As the other removed himself from Daniel's touch the young man frowned and remained on the ground. There was a time and place to do anything and though he cared for Rosales he would not push the subject. Lucky it seemed Rosales also found a way to push pass the subject.

"You are right. Besides, I really do not sleep in beds as of late." sitting down under the window the prince tilted his head up and looked up to Rosales. "Well, tell me about yourself. I could ask a million questions, but I feel as though I am not sure what to ask." Daniel admitted. He was far from perfect, the red head didn't know how to really talk to people of lower class, he knew this, this was the reason he would always go red whenever Elsa teased him and talked naturally whenever they were alone. What could a royal as someone who probably never even slept in place of real comfort? Frowning the prince closed his eyes "...I do have one question. What were you going to do once you had the money from the things you gained from here? You do not have to answer, its just... I have this wealth, yet in exchange I must give up many freedoms...even more being the only male heir."

The time passed and Daniel went to the closet to grab something. Returning he had another sleeping shirt, this was closer to Rosales' size, perhaps slightly bigger even. It seemed new, nothing wrong with it and as soft as Daniel's own night shirt. "Here, you shouldn't have to keep wearing that torn thing. I apologize for not warning to have an appropriate size for you. I hope this would be more comfortable."

The night shirt was different. No frills, no little designs close to that of the prince's night shirt. The shirt was a simple royal-blue sleep attire with only trimming before around the cuffs of the attire which were a light yellow. This had been custom made for someone else.

"Rosales," Daniel began as he took the tea pot off the small heater and began to pour them tea "Do you believe that, someone like me, could do good in this world?" the question was sudden, but had been stuck in the back of the prince's head. Could the seed of the king truly be different enough to cause good change? Or would it lead to something worse? Daniel didn't have many people to ask such a question and he would never force such a question on a child nor a dear friend who still struggled with her own problems. Rosales would say something funny right? Make a joke about it and have Daniel be able to forget about it for a night or so.

He couldn’t help but find a quiet comfort in Daniel’s presence. It wasn’t the first time he’s thought of hurting another person, it was even the first time he had hurt someone. He’s entire job was to punish those who didn’t pay their debts. But for some reason, he could never really so tack it. Maybe he was just a coward this whole time? Maybe it was better for him to face what he had wrought. But for now, maybe he’ll take some comfort. And forget about it in the morning. He was a bit surprised that Daniel stayed with him, but again he wasn’t going to question it. He didn’t want to. Claude looked over to Daniel, before finally throwing an arm around him,
“You’re so uptight. Try to relax. But hm… The truth is I have no idea. I wasn’t planning to get that far.”
Claude didn’t remove his arm, just holding him gently. It wasn’t romantic but rather a show of brotherhood, it was meant to be something friendly. His breathing slowed as he relaxed, musing to himself more than Daniel,
“Hmmm… Maybe get some land, an orchard and live a simple peaceful life without much qualms.”
He waved off the complications, because it was a nice idea. A simple life without much issues. Some fruit. He really didn’t want much from this world, he didn’t care for the fineries in life. Claude just wanted the life his mother always told him about. A farm where they would be happy, play all day and eat apples with honey on bread. It was a bit of a childish fantasy, but it was the only thing he really wanted. Because then, he would have a piece of her to live on. Claude trailed off,
“… Then I’ll be able to give her a proper burial.”
Maybe he’ll grow her favorite flowers. They were wildflowers, easy to grow and they were everywhere but at the same time, he always felt so nostalgic seeing them. Claude quickly changed the mood as he joked,
“Maybe get a wife and settle down finally.”
He chuckled a bit before falling serenely quiet again. It could have been his version of comforting Daniel, holding him this way. It was a casual drunkard standard but it felt like it helped. Admittedly, he did feel a bit bad for the lad. He was like a bird that never got pushed out the nest and learned how to fly. His wings were clipped. Although he couldn’t exactly sympathize with him since he knew he had never experienced the dregs of how bad society could truly get, it wasn’t like he was going to react the fact the other ever felt pain. When Daniel went to the closet, Claude made no effort to keep him. Icily taking back his arm, he just stayed quiet. He wasn’t in though or milking over something. He just felt like being quiet for a moment. Tossed the night shirt, it took him by surprise how simple it was. It was a good fit, comfortable as he stripped off the torn shirt and slipped it on. There was a second where his entire scarred and beaten torso was shown before wearing the garment. It certainly was much more his style, well it was more modest that the frills he was forced to wear earlier. Looking at the much larger night shirt in his closet, he tilted his head at the possibility that the prince might’ve already had a love interest- it was the only explanation for this random article of clothing. It wasn’t really his business, and would explain why he didn’t want to marry anyone. He shrugged it off as he watched Daniel pour him a cup of tea. He made no motion to drink it, waiting until it cooled as he pondered at that question. After some deliberation, he muttered,
“If you don’t believe you can, why should I? But… If I can dream of life where I can leave the path I’ve chosen, why can’t your strive to live as you so see fit? You’re your own man, with your own mind.”
He gave a smile, patting the prince’s head, ruffling it ever so slightly. He caught the feeling that the prince just needed some guidance or help, nothing too extreme. And Claude was already soft from his whole walk down memory lane. He reassured him,
“It’s already a step to have your heart in the right place.”
The pale moon light, the soothing smell of the tea and the quiet night air, the mood in the room seemed to have shifted a bit. Claude gulped a tiny bit, he didn’t mean to turn towards this direction. Perhaps they stayed up too late, the moon was a mischievous one. He avoided Daniel’s gaze as he quietly blew on his tea. An awkward tension building, or really it more towards Claude’s side, who was a bit anxious in showing a more tender side.

Pouting from the comment the red head looked up to the man. As the other wrapped his arm around Daniel, felt himself relax some as he leaned against the other slightly. He was tired after all, days without a good night's rest would do that to anyone. Rosales' plan, if one could call it as such, sounded amazing. It was so simple but sounded like a dream. Daniel laid his head on the other's shoulder as he kept listening. The joke made the young man chuckle and look up to Rosales.
"Haha...ah, well then. I hope to know where you leave to, I would love to see how your wife puts up with you." the boy grinned playfully. The late night brought out an ease for Daniel and Rosales seemed to further that.

The boy watched as Rosales changed and noticed the man's body. He had seen much in his life, for however long he had walk this Earth. Looking away Daniel began to prep the tea and tea pot which he kept in his room as late nights also demanded late night tea.

Bitting the inner of his cheek the young man didn't speak but relaxed as Rosales spoke more. He was right. Daniel was his own man! He would change the path and tradition of his family and ensure the best for the people he had been told since an infant he would need to protect and care for. Ensure no one else in his blood line, be it his heir or others take the throne and repeat the past. Feeling the other's hand on his head the red head's nose scrunched up and pouted again though this time playfully. with a smile the prince looked down to his tea and nod "...Thank you..." Daniel whispered.

Sipping his tea the young man took his seat on one of the chairs int he room. Rosales' gaze of avoiding the prince was clear, though Daniel did not comment on it as he did the same as he did not want to make the other uncomfortable. Finishing his tea he placed the cup on the table before moving to the bed. Yawning the young man rested his cheek in his hand as he stared out the window "So, if I may ask how old are you Rosales? I will be twenty-four this year in the Fall."

Claude pinched his cheeks lightly as he frowned,

“What do ya mean? I’m the picture of a true gentleman.”

He couldn’t even pretend like he believed that. Honestly he almost felt bad for whatever lass he managed to charm, the poor girl would have to deal with all of him. As much as he wants to say how great of a husband he was, he really couldn’t lie that much. Claude flicked Daniel’s forehead teasingly, as he took his cup of tea. Sipping quietly, it seemed Daniel had a self realization. It’s not like he did that much, he just spoke his mind. But judging from the people he’s surrounded by, maybe that was enough. He couldnt help but reflexively smile seeing his playful smile, he found it endearingly cute. Almost like a kitten or puppy. He almost wanted to punch his cheeksThe quiet wasn’t tense now, it was comfortable. He just nodded in response, again keeping his eyes to the side. It was to keep his own sanity at this point. Setting his cup to the side as he stood up and stretched. He certainly was more partial to sleeping and it seemed Daniel felt the same. He sighed as the prince seemed to be keen on staying up the whole night. Even nearly fully grown, he was a stubborn child who insisted they were fine. Claude walked over to Daniel, picked him up with ease as he carried him to the bed. It highlighted how smaller Daniel was to Claude, and how much he could easily lift him. He placed the prince into the bed as he sighed,

“Go to bed. It’s obvious you need to sleep. Don’t try to insist otherwise, you need sleep as much as you need to breathe.”

He even emphasized his point by pushing Daniel onto the bed and letting him sink into the mattress, he’d be surprised if he was still awake after that. He took a seat on the window sill as he answered,

“Hmmm, you’re younger than me. Probably around 26 I’d say. Ah I’m turning into an old man soon.”

He mumbled and grumbled to himself, he didn’t want to think about getting older. It was awful, how merciless time was to him. Soon his good looks will wither away and then will he ever find a wife? He sighed, didn’the decide to die by the time he was this old? Claude was such a fan dying young, fast and wild but now he was staring off his mortality desperately. How time makes a fool of us all. He tapped his chin curiously,

“Well, I wouldn’t think I’m that much interesting. How about you? Do you enjoy your royal life?”

even though eh could somewhat tell the answer, he wanted to hear it from him.

Daniel rested his eyes for a moment, though he struggled to open them back up as all he could think about was reading more. Though quickly his eyes opened as he was lifted up without a problem. The red head felt his face become flushed and he looked up to Rosales, slightly flustered and embarrassed by being picked up like a child. Daniel was not under any delusion that he was as big or weighted as much as other men his or around his age, but the remaindered such like this was not kind thing to spring onto a tried prince.

Once on the bed the prince sat up quickly, his mouth opened to argue that he still needed to do work and that Rosales was given the bed to sleep in as he did not want to have the other have to sleep on the floor or anywhere uncomfortable. Being pushed into the mattress did startle the boy, his eyes following Rosales as he sat on the window sill. What went though this man's mind? Even with how he acted Daniel found from small gestures and actions, be it giving what money he had to a child like Sarah or trying to make him feel better, Rosales was kind.

"Heh, well you're aging as fine as wine I must say." Daniel commented softly as he turned on his size. Sighing the prince closed his eyes for a moment. It felt weird sleeping in a bed again. Though they opened once Rosales asked about the royal life. Daniel struggled to push himself on his elbow and thought for a moment.

"Well, I think you are interesting. Any man brave enough to sneak into a place he could be killed in must be beyond interesting. Though...I guess this is somewhat normal for you huh?"

Daniel rubbed his eyes and was stubborn to not fall asleep in the bed "Do I enjoy royal life? Honestly, yes and no. I enjoy being able to do most whatever I want when I have free time, or being able to travel within reason; however, I am often kept in the dark about many subjects of our kingdom...or overruled for suggestion I think would aid the people because I am still viewed as only the prince with only title and now power." Daniel frowned slightly. His mind was working again and he looked off to the study to see the light was still on. Slipping from the bed he moved over to Rosales and placed a hand on his shoulder "I promise I'll go to bed, I just need to mark a few things before then. I can sleep in the study still, really, you should go to bed well." taking Rosales' hand, as that was probably the only way to grab the other's attention the prince tugged him slightly.

"Don’t try to insist otherwise, you need sleep as much as you need to breathe." Daniel repeated what the older man had told him, and found himself liking the sound advice.

Daniel did mark a few things in his books and with his personal book hid it in a dresser. The young man returned to the room after turning of the light and headed straight for the bed. Laying back down the prince laid on his side. The covers half covering his face as he felt the warmth began to engulf him before putting him to sleep for the night.

Claude winked cheekily, it seemed the prince was finally starting to understand how he worked. After all, flattery will get you far with him. He smiled in relief seeing Daniel slowly doze off for a moment, at least he was human enough to sleep. They were fairly safe for the time being, so there was no reason to do an all-night vigil. Claude snickered,

"You'll be surprised how many boys want to be in my position right now. But maybe that's the thing, boys grow out of it when they become men. I guess I never grew up."

He sighed, rubbing his temples, is this how parents felt trying to get their kids to sleep. He didn't want to babysit that young man any more than he already was. No wonder he was so thin and frail, he needs to at least eat his weight in food and snore like a beast to get to his size. Claude looked a bit surprised with his answer, at least he admitted it had its perks. He respected the realist point of view, at least he was being honest. He mused quietly,

"Man of the people, hm? Quite bold considering I'm your first ambassador to the poor and deprived."

Claude gave a cautionary glare to Daniel, warning him if he got out of that bed, he's forcing him back in. But he relented when the other promised to at least sleep. It wasn't really his decision to make, so why did he care so much? He sighed, about to stare out the window for 6 hours before feeling his hand being held. he blinked in surprise, turning to Daniel. Well, isn't he quite bright? Using his own words against him. It seems he's been evenly matched. He shrugged in defeat, sitting and laying down in the bed. But even in the warm comfort, he didn't sleep. Exhausted, but yet he wasn't drifting to the sweet slumber he was promised. Claude was definitely not staying up to make sure Daniel went to bed. Most definitely not. He was just wary from his night terror, he didn't want to fall out of bed again, considering that dawn might be creeping slowly. It was only maybe an hour before he heard the light turn out, Claude opened one of his eyes as he watched Daniel shamble his way over, taking the spot next to him. Luckily, the bed was big enough that they weren't even touching, so he barely card. Truth be told, he thought about going back to the window sill but the bed was far too comfortable to leave. Well, it wasn't like they were married officially anyways, so he didn't see that much of a problem. He glanced over to Daniel, gently tugging down the blanket from his mouth so his breath wouldn't be impeded. His eyes slowly fluttered close as he mumbled,

"Cute..."

The night was peaceful, his night was dreamless but it was all Claude could ask for. He was so relaxed and happy sleeping in the comfortable bed that even when the sun peeked from the horizon and the birds began to sing their songs, Claude snored lightly. He was making an unconscious effort to continue sleeping, he refused to ever pry open his eyes and release himself from the blissful slumber. Covering his eyes with the pillow and turning his body away from the sun, he was practically a mess. Twisted in the sheets as he snored without a care, he was better described as a log than a man. If Daniel had any covers left it would be a miracle. It would also be a miracle if they were still distanced apart.

That morning Sarah came into the room as usual with breakfast, which she ensured was made without be tampered, being wheeled in on a tray. Coming to the bed she expected to find only Daniel, surely he would have made a room for the other right? The girl was short, no more than 4 feet tall with a few inches and the bed itself was very tall compared to her. Coming to the side she pulled herself up slightly with the aid of her tippy toes had he looked over the edge of the bed. How did Daniel get into such a bed every night? Or nights he went to sleep somewhere comfortable at least.

Her mouth open as she was ready to wake the sleeping prince when she found a sight she never thought would be possible. Wide eyes stared as there laid her Daniel with the man from last night, only a few inches away from touching and it made Sarah feel so uncomfortable. Reaching over she tugged on Daniel's night attire and attempted to pull him back. "Daniel time to wake up!" Sarah struggled to pull him but ended up falling onto her backside. Pouting she went to Felix, a guard often by her side, and asked him to wake the prince and the prince's groom. The man only chuckled when he saw the scene and said they could sleep in, it was rare for Daniel to sleep like so and he needed it with how softly he was snoring. Funny enough he was barely covered by the quilt which wrapped around the groom and Felix figured that the pair were getting use to being with each other.

Daniel woke up, close enough to Rosales that he could smell the man much better than that night. He had a strong smell, sweat and smoke. Smoke from the slums perhaps? Maybe something else. It took a moment before Daniel finally realized how close they were and carefully moved away. His warmth had been engulfing the smaller body and Daniel told himself they were only so close because Rosales was hogging all the blankets. That had to be it. Reaching over he gentle touched the other's cheek, studying the Rosales' expression before relaxing. It seemed as though Rosales was in a deep sleep, which was good.

Slipping from the bed the prince set up their meals and looked outside the door to find Sarah muttering softly to herself before noticing her prince. Being hugged the man could only smile and pet her head as he wished her a good morning. Yawning Daniel rubbed his neck and looked down at the small girl.

"Sarah, if I may request will you please bring clothes for Rosales? Take this to the tailor, he will have some clothes that should be his size before we have any custom made." Daniel said as he offered a small piece of paper with what was roughly Rosales' size, these sizes based on someone else's sizing.

Sarah happily nod and ran off like how she usually did and with Felix quickly following. She was a very "by-the-rules" type of girl and Daniel was sure her training from the sellers had something to do with such a strict girl. Shaking his head he returned into the room and looked back to Rosales. With a smile he walked over and covered the man, he was quite handsome and honestly Daniel was envois of the other's handsome demeanor compared to his own boyish charms. Closing the curtains the prince began to eat, his plate smaller but better for him. Rosales could use the sleep, Daniel figured whatever night terrors he was use to was not coming to him now.

Claude snores peacefully, finally splaying out his body when he felt the pressure in the mattress change. It was a subconscious instinct, like a bud blossoming into a beautiful flower. Or in this case, a messy man turning even sloppier. He didn’t even wake up from his snooze when the little girl called out to wake him, he continued to snore through the morning light, the birds chirping and even the people around him talking. He was certainly a deep sleep when he did. His face had totally relaxed, not a scowl or a smug grin in sight. In that instance, he looked much more suave and kind. He turned onto his back as he started to mumble. It was a terrible habit he had done constantly as a child, his mother teasing him every morning by telling him what he had said in his sleep. The habit only died because of the endless all-nighters he pulled. It returned with a vengeance this time. At first it was nonsense, under his breathe and quiet. But it slowly grew into a whisper,

“No… The strawberries are my favorite- I don’t care if the slug want them… The slugs don’t get to have them.”

He tossed and turned, his own legs slowly twitching and moving like he was running. It was like watching a child dream. Eventually, he ran hard enough the he nearly launched himself out the bed! Catbb CB omg himself last minute, he groaned as he covered his eyes from the pervasive morning light. He blinked, staringat himself and around him. Where was he? This was the rotting wood of his apartment, nor was his sheets ever this clean. He stumbled out the curtains in confusion before the entirety of last nightflashed before his hands.He was semi-hoping it was an entire dream. Carefully keeping his balance on two feet, he saunteredtowards the smell of recent not rotting food. His stomach growled loud enough for the next room over to hear it. He yawned,

“What’s for break fast?”

He took a seat across from Daniel, seemingly completely oblivious to anyone around him. It was partly true, his brain didn’t quite process his surroundings and he was almost too tired to even see anymore. He was just hoping this wasn’t some sort of royal tradition where people came from far and wide to see them in their bed rooms. Maybe the royals really did did welcome voyeurs. He sighed,

“please tell me theres not another party we have to go to.”

The prince heard the muttering and did come to the other's side to hear him. Having to hold back his laugh the young man shook his head before gently patting the man's head. Daniel went to the door once he heard Sarah return and in hand she had the man's clothes for the day as well as the schedule of what they would need to do today as well as the princely duties. Nodding the man smiled and offered to let her join breakfast with them, Sarah pouted and shook her head. Normally she would have joined Daniel, but since someone else was in there she didn't want to join. It clear that Sarah had recently began to develop a childhood crush on her prince, caretaker, Daniel. Daniel had noticed it as well, but paid no mind to it as she was still a child and understood her situation and relationship with Daniel, but there should be now harm with such childish things. He returned to his seat and ate like normal.

"Well, we have meat, eggs, bread, tomatoes, and I believe a few in season vegetables and fruit." Daniel spoke as he placed his napkin down. His plate was much like Rosales', although his proportions seemed more for a child than a grown man. The pair were alone in the room now with only the guards and Sarah outside. Cutting into the meat the prince looked up to Rosales and chuckled softly thinking about what the other spoke about in his sleep. "Next time I will ask for some strawberries to be included."

"I do not believe so, though Sarah will remind me if I do. I will not force you into those parties, it is common for partners to be together all the time at these parties and if they ask I can make something up. No point in both of us being tortured with boring parties."

The prince finished his plate, as best as he could anyway, and placed it on the tray to be taken later on. Daniel placed Rosales' clothes on the bed and nod "These are yours for the day if you like. I will have the tailor come by later on to measure you and make you some new clothes to not be suspected of anything." Daniel stretched out his arms over his head, yawning again as he wished to go back to sleep. But the day needed things done.

"Mmm...oh! If you have any request for anything for lunch, feel free to ask. We have most things."

Daniel went off to changed in the closet. If one was to poke their head in for a moment the prince's back would be turned to the door. His skin was pale, would have been perfect if not for the new beauty marks his body held or the visible scar on his lower back.

Coming out now nicely dressed in dark clothing which made the boy paler, if that were even possible, the young man looked over to Rosales "Do these clothes suit you?"

Rosales' clothes would be in a similar fashion of his sleeping attire. Simple, but elegant with small details made around the cuffs and collar which showed this outfit was made by skilled hands. "I hope they are not too large for you."

Claude didn't notice Sarah walking out, his sense dulled by the tiredness. He looked like a ravenous dog seeing the food, but he had some restraint. He didn't want to look that desperate. Truth was, it's been a couple of days since he's a\eaten something solid. But his stomach made sure everyone could tell he was starving. Although the portions did throw him off, Daniel was barely eating anything. He doubted that he would ever even grow with that size. He softly scolded,

"You know you're practically wasting away eating like that, fill your stomach! While you still got the food."

While the portion for him was much more his speed, it wasn't exactly what he'd call a full meal. He would fill a large pot full of anything he found in the fridge and garden to make himself soup and eat it in a single sitting. Stuffing his face was a natural response to the fact he might not get food that hasn't rotted in a few days or couldn't be able to make it to the shop and be too damaged to steal. It also helped that the constant physical exercise kept him slim. He figured since Daniel barely looked like he stepped outside, it would make sense that he'd barely eat. But even so, it was a bit concerning. It was like Daniel was stripping himself of basic human pleasures and needs. Did the man forget how to function as well? He raised his eyebrow at the strawberries comment. It was true, strawberries were his favorite fruit. His mother and he used to grow them in their windowsill, and even though they were barely bigger than his finger, they tasted sweeter than honey. His mother would always make him waffle cones with the rusted molds with condensed milk and their own strawberries piled high for his birthday. It was honestly one of his favorite memories of her and whenever he had them, he felt like he was holding onto a little piece of her, no matter how small. So how did Daniel know that he liked them so? He cast a suspicious look as he mumbled,

"That wouldn't be necessary, I find everything here quite fine."

It was fairly obvious he was on edge, especially after that comment. After years of experience, if someone happens to know some personal details about you- it raised some red flags. He reminded himself never to try a strawberry here as long as possible. He sighed in relief hearing the news, thank god. He didn't know how long it would take him to snap and finally punch on of those nobles in the face. Or say something snarky. Or break face. There were many possibilities that would cause him to end the act. Carefully sitting down, he tucked into breakfast, at first very cautiously but soon his appetite couldn't take it and he was scarfing down every scrap of food. His plate was sparkling by the time he was finished, satisfied, he leaned back as he hummed,

"Hmph, maybe sometimes I'll tag along. I don't know what's worse, being a display doll or being cooped up in here all day. Well, if I can have anything for lunch, mind getting me a bottle of gin?"

He gave a cheeky smirk, mostly joking. He never really ate lunch besides bar food, there was no reason to. Even with his mother, if they tried to make lunch every single day, their expenses would probably triple by the end of the week. So only 2 meals or 1 meal a day, and they just made sure to use everything they could to keep them going. Claude watched as Daniel went to change, his sharp eyes manging to catch something on his back. He wasn't sure what, but he knew it was some sort of skin discoloration. Perhaps a birthmark? Probably something mundane. Standing as Daniel returned, he eyed him up and down as he shrugged,

"Never was the one for fashion, as long as I don't get caught they'll do fine. But that reminds me Danny boy- where'd you find a shirt like this in such short notice? It's a bit big but it surely isn't for your size."

He didn't notice it last night but it clicked in his head right now, having a size that was nearly right on hand- it was becoming rather odd. Especially since they had just met. Claude was building his walls over again, hardening his heart as he cast doubts on Daniel's intentions. Even if he were to try to clear it up, it had to be a pretty good reason to dispell his suspicion. It all seemed like too much of a coincidence for him, and that reeked of trouble.

"Haha, you will not believe how many times I've heard that. Unfortunately I can not eat much. I have tried, but my body simply does not take as much as others. I am healthy as I want to reassure! Only a few colds here and there."

The other's mood seemed to change and Daniel felt as though he did something wrong. Why didn't the other ask how he knew or something on that matter? Daniel frowned a bit, socially he wasn't the brightest but did him making that comment really put the other on edge so much? Pushing it aside he focused on finishing his own meal and did as much as he could before cleaning their table.

"Both." Daniel shrugged as he had been both a doll at one point as well as being forced to stay within the palace days on end. Chuckling the young man relaxed a bit seeing the other joking around. Smirking he nod "If you wish. I mean, we could even have some now. Always a reason a drink." Daniel joked around.

Daniel paused when Rosales asked the question. He didn't seem uncomfortable, more sad than anything. Though, with how Rosales was acting now he figured that the man got to at least know more about Daniel and his past.

"...Well...these clothes were originally for someone else...he...he's no longer with us." Daniel took a seat on the bed, his fingers going to the bracelet he normally kept hidden with him at all times. "He was a large man, a little larger than yourself. He was also lower class...we met well he worked here," Daniel swallowed hard as these memories were still fresh for the young man "To make a long story short I had these clothes made for him and when my father found out...you're a smart man, you don't need me to explain." His eyes stared down at the floor. It had only been three or four years now since it happened. Swallowing a lump in his throat the prince seemed off, like he had been hit. It always felt like a hit to the gut whenever he talked about his old lover. Those nights he would come into the room and they would spend hours talking, or when Daniel did go out of the palace he normally had his lover with him to have someone not trying kiss his ass to speak to and ground him whenever he was tempted to go off.

Gripping his own wrist Daniel stood up "I will leave you to change, Sarah will tell us what is on the day's agenda." moving to the study the red head took a deep breath to ease his nervous. His eyes stung and tears threaten to come out and the man felt himself shaking. The last time the prince had seen his lover was in the study, they were planning on announcing their engagement as technically as long as the prince choose his spouse knowing the class and not having to marry in dire situations (such as stopping a war or trying to gain an ally) the prince could marry whoever he liked. Then he was told about the accident. Flinching Daniel buried the memory as he took a seat at the desk and waited for Rosales to say something, indict he was finish dressing or maybe needed help.

Claude chuckled, that was the spirit! He always needed a good drunk to get through the day. But even with the slowly fading jovial atmosphere, he still couldn't deny that he wanted an answer. Being played like a pawn wasn't his intention. He leaned back as he listened, and almost immediately he felt his entire world shatter. The stark realization as he continued to listen to the story. He was shocked, but there was no way for him to have known. How could he? Tales like that wouldn't leave these walls. Even so, he couldn't feel the ache of guilt in his heart. Guilt and sympathy. Losing someone you love, even if it wasn't romantic was a terrible and destructive experience. He wanted to almost help- somehow. Even if he was still a wreck over his mother still. He couldn't muster anything but,

"I'm... Sorry for your loss."

He watched as Daniel shakily excused himself, and he did feel nothing but extreme shame. While he had no idea, it still didn't excuse his behavior. He had his reasons, but he wasn't prideful enough to ignore it when he was wrong. He pursed his lips, maybe it was just an ignorant hope that the wealthy class would live a blissful life so he could push all his problems against them. Perhaps, he was wrong to a degree. Claude sighed, he didn't know what to think anymore. He didn't want to think anymore. Gently lifting the shirt off of hi, he stared at it. The fabric was soft and smooth, but it made his stomach turn knowing that someone from the same as he was was wearing this. Even knowing why it still made his mouth run dry. He sighed, he would need to thank Daniel for trusting him with such an important token. It really did speak volumes over all the treasures in this palace. Claude carefully folding the garment neatly, showing it as much respect as he could. Even if he didn't really understand their relationship nor did he want to, he still respected Daniel's loss as well as that man's life. Setting it on the nightstand, smoothing it out to prevent any wrinkles, he sighed. What a situation he found himself in. He changed quickly, he wasn't sure how to fasten certain things but managed to get by. He knocked on the door gently,

"I finished, you can come out. Daniel... I'm sorry for doubting you. You don't have to tell me anymore if you don't wish to. I understand. But..."

He took a deep breath, it was the least he could do right? It wasn't his idea from the start but he felt like it was beneath him just to shrug off such an important detail. But it was the right thing to do, no matter the amount of money in one's pocket, they're still human. He braced himself as he slowly said,

"I know how it feels to lose someone you love. You aren't... Alone in this."

Claude felt his cheeks flush, he wasn't this cheesy at all. It felt almost wrong. Should he just pretend to be in a happy mood to get his mind off of it? But now what? What the hell was he going to do at all? Well, it wasn't fair if Daniel told him such a personal matter. If he trusted him enough to say this, he should at least return it. Claude had also realized the reason he might've known he liked strawberries. It didn't happen often, or at least not to his knowledge but he did remember that he used to talk in his sleep as a child. He quietly chuckled,

"I was sleep talking, wasn't I? My dream was about a summer day when my mother was telling me how our favorite strawberry plant was getting sick from the slugs eating them. I didn't care, I just wanted strawberries. But my mom kept trying to explain we wouldn't have them because of the slugs... I watched her die in my arms. I couldn't do anything, she was so skinny and fragile. Wasting away... I couldn't do anything the whole time. I just sat there."

He trailed off, bitterness enveloping his tongue. He didn't know what else to say, or even how to relate to the prince. For once, the silver tongue had become rather dull. He walked away from the door, contemplating whether or not he was doing the right thing or letting his heart decide instead of his mind.

Coming out the prince shook his head "No, you don't be... you were just pulled into a mad man's plan without notice. I do not blame you for being on edge. I would probably be as well if I were in your shoes."

With a small smile the red head nod and moved over, taking the other's hand and giving it a squeeze. His lover use to do this action as well as a silent way to reassure the other. Daniel had picked up a few habits from his time with the man and thus repeated them in simple ways. Slowly taking back his hand the young man and thought about telling Rosales he had heard him talk in his sleep about the fruit and that was why he made the comment. It seemed childish but Daniel felt slightly embarrassed about it. Rosales seemed to beat him to the punch though and the young man simply smiled and nod.

The story was sweet at first, something similar he was share most children shared with their mother. Then the story quickly turned. Neither of them or anyone was truly alone when it came to the cruel world of theirs. Death did not overlook someone for their wealth or any other reasons.

Following Rosales the prince reached out though paused for a moment. Was it his right to try and comfort the man? The death of his mother would sting no matter what, but in the end it was more than understandable. "I am sorry for your loss as well...no one, no matter what age should have witness or experience such a cruel way of death." the prince frowned as he looked to the floor. This story was common, but no matter how common was still very cruel. Standing beside Rosales the prince kept his eyes down. He knew the country was failing it's poor, people like Rosales and his mother. The children who were sold and not every single one of them would be as lucky as Sarah when it came to who would buy them for any reason. Humans shouldn't even be able to buy in the first place, but this was the kingdom his father was prideful over and did not want his son to change.

"Rosales," Daniel spoke tenderly "Thank you for sharing...I know it isn't easy." with a small smile the prince rubbed his neck. "If you like, after any of my duties I could take you the garden. Its actually a place in this palace that I can truly call my own space beside this room and the study. If not, I will not feel offended. It is a bit odd right?"

Claude smiled softly at the squeeze, it was just a bit endearing. He sighed watching as he saw a similar feeling of shame overcome the other, and a part of him wanted that. The part that still held anger and hatred. But even so, he felt more annoyance seeing Daniel hang his head so low. It wasn't his fault that his mother had perished nor the harsh life he had afterward. Even though he wasn't exactly in control, he still chose his life and he made it a point to never regret it again. With firm eyes, he nudged Daniel's chin up to look at him as he said,

"Keep your head high, this is only more of a reason for you to succeed, right? Make our plights worth something and the loss of those we loved wouldn't be in vain."

Claude didn't know why he wanted Daniel to stop moping around, probably because he was sick and tired of the inaction of government? Yeah, let's chalk it up to that. He felt a bit of a weight drop, it's been maybe more than a decade since he's told anyone of his mother, and it felt like a relief to lets some of his grief out. Even just the short story was enough to settle his stomach. He let a deep breath out, shaking off the gloom and despair as he tried to lighten the mood. Joking,

"Ain't this an interesting way to start a morning, huh? Anyways, some nice fresh air and sunshine will do my body right so I'd like to go. Better than a stuffy ballroom or this bed."

He wanted to give a lighter mood, after all, if they were to stay in this mindset all day they wouldn't get anything done. But speaking of, really what as there for Claude to do? Maybe he would walk around the palace when Daniel leaves, he could climb up the rafters if there seemed like trouble or more reasonably ask for directions back to his room. He could always catch up with his painting if he asked, it was a hobby he would do with crushed up berries and other vegetation for dyes and he would mix them either with water or oil to be able to paint them with homemade brushes. It wasn't fine art but it was relaxing. He hadn't done it in years, and truthfully he wanted to try. Tapping his chin thoughtfully, he asked as both a distraction from their gloomy conversation as well as genuine interest,

"Do you think I could get some blank scraps of fabric and some oil? I'd like to try painting if you're going to be away for hours on end. Or I might be bored out of my mind."

So many things were going through Daniel's head when he felt his chin being moved up. Looking up to Rosales the young man felt his blood race hearing the other out. Nodding the red head smiled and seemed as though some life came to his eyes. Rosales seemed to become a good influence on the boy, or at least quite motivated force.

"Haha, you are right about that. Fresh air sounds great though."

Daniel opened up the curtains to let sun shine in and warm up the room when he heard the request. Looking back to Rosales the young man nod and smiled "Of course, that will no be a problem at all. In fact, I'm pretty sure there is a room which should have all of that. I can have it moved in here if you like, or you could paint in there." Daniel explained. There was a soft knock at the door before it opened and Sarah came in. The girl's brows furrowed seeing the pair together but bit her tongue to make any comment. Going into the room she cleared her throat, and looked to Daniel.

"Um, I am sorry but you need to go somewhere Daniel. You have two things to do today, one being quite important." Sarah tried to sound mature with her squeaky voice and short height. Though she kept her head up, much like those in the slum who had much pride in themselves and work, and in hand her small book which Daniel had custom made for her as it had a little bunny on the front painted for her. "I apologize, of course. What is on today's to do list?"

"You have a tea with Valar from Noramy as well as checking in with the elders for tomorrow meeting to ensure you are prepared for the case. The tea time will start a quarter to noon and the Elders expect you before seven o'clock. I also have Elsa planning your dinner later on of course." Sarah smiled as she closed her book and looked over to Rosales. Her stomach turned a bit thinking of him being with Daniel. Holding and hands and whatever else couples did. Her cheeks filled with color before Daniel came and pat her head.

"Thank you Sarah, I swear I would be lost without you," Daniel smiled warmly "Ah. May I make a request? When I am off to tea would you kindly take Kawan to the art studio? Or if he requests have canvas and oils brought to him here."

Sarah perked a brow but nod in response. Frowning a bit she rubbed her neck "...I know your schedule is free...but will you still have time for tea with me?"

"Of course! How could I miss tea time with you?" Daniel kneeled before the girl and held her cheek much like a brother or father manner. The girl brighten up and nod "I will make sure its perfect! Um, since we have time before your first meeting, would you like to do anything right now?"

Daniel thought for a moment before standing "A walk though the garden sounds lovely today. Kawan, would you like to join us or start on your paintings? I promise you the gardens are quite interesting to explore."

The gardens had belonged to Daniel's mother. It had many different flowers and plants from around the kingdom as well as other countries. It was being maintain by gardners, though Daniel was known to come often to both check on them as well as aid in anything the garden may need.

Claude hummed happily feeling the sunlight hit his skin, a welcoming feeling from the cold and bitterness. It's better to put those things behind, for now, it was a brand new day. It felt more like a vacation to Claude, he could finally relax and not worry about a bottle to the head. He stared out on the sunny bright morning as he waved off having paints moved in here. Unless Daniel wanted his walls splattered, he would suggest staying in a place that was supposed to get messed up. He smirked,

"I'd keep me in a place with linen covering everything, I get rather... Expressive let's say."

He remembered how many fights he got with his landlord over the splattered and spilled "paint" he made, and how many times he won the right to finally paint in peace. Although it wasn't like he could practice like now, he practically just slammed a brush into the loose fabric and let his hand do the work. He watched the little girl walk in and he was about to give her a simple but friendly greeting but he couldn't get the words out. Why did Claude feel so unwelcomed suddenly? He simply waved and shrugged his shoulders, but he couldn't help but feel like he was the intruding one now. The feeling even helped to still his tongue giving a snide comment about stay at the table for 4 hours doing nothing and how it explained so much about the state of their country. There was one thing Claude knew, he couldn't be any sorts of smug or mean to the girl, she just reminded him too much of the others who stood at the corners of the street with their sad eyes. Or himself when he was that age as well. But he didn't want this information getting out in any sense of the word, he still had to keep his wits as well as his more rough reputation. He sighed, at least the prince agreed on the more kinder approach to children, he couldn't count the times that nobles who happened to grace them with their visit knocked over innocent "street urchins" as they called them. He bit his lips before shrugging,

"That'd be nice, it would give me some inspiration. Uh... If I'm not interrupting something."

Claude was much more cautious with Sarah, mostly because he had the first-hand experience in ruining a little girl's fantasy and the hell that lasted for maybe 3 months afterward. Well, he says hell but she more glared and called him childish names. It just sucked when they wouldn't listen to a thing you say, the number of times he girl would run away when he was just trying to get her to stay away from the rougher sides of town. If anything he'd like to maintain some sort of trust to avoid something similar happening.

"Of course not. As my groom you have free range over most of the palace. There are a few rooms which you will not be allowed in yet, but most part feel free to explore."

Sarah pouted but Daniel just pet her head, as if giving her silent "behave sweetheart" signal . He knew how Sarah could be when she was jealous as she had been like that with his love when she was around seven years old. Looking over to Rosales the man smiled warmly "Besides, I keep it open to everyone and anyone."

As they began to walk outside of the palace walls the prince seemed more relaxed with Rosales and Sarah by his side as his guards went off to patrol as usual until they were needed. Sarah walked beside Daniel and talked nonstop like a little girl normally would do. She talked about anything and everything that came to mind. Dream she had last night, how she finished her studies early this week, and even about how she was excited about her birthday coming up soon. Daniel listened and didn't seem bothered at all with how much she talked. The red head paused for a moment as he looked ahead of them and smiled as he paused "And that is the green house, the full garden is behind it, but if you ever need to find it just look for this." Daniel spoke to Rosales.

Before them was a large glass house. Inside one could already see the lush green plants and the busy workers who ensured the green house was in good health. Sarah ran off to the house before the two as she quite enjoyed the gardens and would often spend her own free time there when she couldn't be with Daniel.

Daniel looked over to the man and smiled softly "Sarah can be quite jealous if I pay attention to someone else. I hope you do not mind, she is quite sweet." he explained as they began into the green house. Sarah by that point was in the garden already and for them they would need to just go right though the path before them. The gardners greeted the pair and the head gardner stopped Daniel to ask about things they would need, the prince listened and nod before signing something for the gardner to have the funds to get said things. As they exited the green house the prince plucked a strawberry and offered it to Rosales.

"I just picked it right now, they're ripe for the picking. When we leave feel free to pick anything you like, be to eat it or simply look at it."

The gardens were vast and around everywhere flowers and trees were in bloom. Further back Sarah was by one of many ponds scattered though the garden. She laid out on her stomach, legs kicking as she watched the large blue water lilies gently float upon the pond. The prince walked forward and reached up to check on a short tree which blossoms seemed to be coming late this year. "Mmm...Rosales," Daniel spoke softly "I know you will probably not want to join tea with me and my guest, but would you like to stay in the garden for awhile then? I know being in the room can be maddening, I rather like you with what sanity you have and want to ensure your mental health." Under the shade of the tree the prince leaned against the trunk and tilted his head back.

The gardens were happy place and perhaps if Daniel was not a prince, he would enjoy being a gardner. Besides law books or books about the world around them, Daniel had many books on plants and much like his law books had made many notes in them about each plant.

Claude chuckled, amused by Daniel's trust. He thanked him genuinely, he felt like it was too cruel of him to really betray his trust. After all, what should he even do? He couldn't help but feel his cheeks heat up ever so slightly,
"Thanks for the warm welcome."
He smiled back, he should act like Kawan character for now and aimlessly looked all over the palace, but kept quieter. If anything, his mouth will only get him into more trouble than he ever wanted. He kept more behind Sarah and Daniel, carefully observing them silently. He was curious in a sense. He knew that this was rather a strange situation for the little girl servant, but he was glad she ended up where she was. It made him think about his short time in the orphanage or rather an employment office for new servants. he would've been sold as a servant if he didn't run away. What would've happened back then? He definitely wouldn't have been in such a fortunate situation as he was. But he was amused with how talkative and happy the girl was, t was a blessing compared to the misery most children e saw were in. A gentle warmth overcoming him. It was so peaceful here. That warmth slowly turned into bitterness, so much more peaceful and happier because they ruled. Claude shrugged,
"Most children are quite jealous if they don't get attention as another person, I don't mind."
He blinked in surprise at the expansive garden, flowers he had never seen, heard of and even smelled surrounded him. A wondrous sight, like a little slice of the heavens themselves. Claude couldn't help but feel relaxed in the sun, watching the gardeners do their work carefully that it put his orchard dream to shame. He couldn't help the faint blush as he quietly took the strawberry and nibbled on the fruit. It's been years since he had one and relished in the sweet flavor. An innocent happy smile overtaking him as he savored the sweetness. He followed and chuckled softly, he couldn't help but pat Sarah's head as he laid out underneath the tree's shade. Perhaps this would be an easy time to rest for him. He sighed,
"I don't mind, I'll probably take a nap then. I can't ensure I'm sane but I should stay the same as I always been. A room isn't quite enough to compare to what I've seen."
Claude felt his heartbeat, it was a tiny bit faster than usual and he felt strange happiness take over his sense. Why was he being so compliant in this whole thing? Why did he feel happy just following Daniel around? Maybe he was actually starting to lose it. Perhaps Daniel was right and the room really was making him mad in the head. He shook it and quickly turned to his side, watching a tiny ladybug crawl on a blade of grass. He mumbled,
"Are you sure you want to call me that? Someone might overhear you."

"True, although I try to teach her how to healthy handle such emotions. Rather not have her always be pouty around others who have done nothing wrong."

Taking a seat on the ground the prince took a deep breath and laid his head back. The knot forming in his shoulders seemed to relax for a moment. The smell, the sight, and even the soft noise in the garden seemed to always have that affect on Daniel. Looking over to Rosales the prince smiled and nod "We will be fine. Most of the gardners here are unfortunately unable to hear correctly. Father planned to though them out of the palace, but Xaiver mentioned he needed help and learning to garden needs more of an eye rather than hearing." the prince explained. Most of the gardners were older folks, though it didn't seem as though the work was too hard on them. In fact, for most of the workers this would be quite light labor they all had experience in their life time.

Moving over to Rosales the prince plucked a small, red flower and tilted it towards Rosales. "I am glad you worry though. Quite concerning if you were not." Sitting up the prince shield his eyes from the sunlight and smiled softly "If you ever want to come here, I encourage it. Many of the workers here are kind and will most likely come to check up on you, so do not feel unwelcome here. My mother intended this place to make anyone feel welcome...hmm..." Daniel became silent. His mother. The scar on his lower back hurt for a moment but he pushed it aside. It had been so long ago now, and she was dead. Father told him so. It broke the man.

Laying down on the grass Daniel stared up at the sky, heavy in thought that he probably wouldn't have notice someone trying to get his attention for the first few seconds if they tried. Sarah was busy plucking honeysuckles, small eatable flowers which tasted of honey and sugar, for an early morning snacks.

Claude raised his eyebrows, it'd explain a few things considering they didn't seem to notice him until they saw him. Well, at least they were getting work. he sighed staring into oblivion, truly this was the lifestyle he had always dreamt of. Spending days away listlessly with the sunshine, the light breeze and the smell of flowers lingering in the air. It was better than smelling puked up booze and cinder from the streets. Although he did somewhat miss the smell of smoke. He glanced toward the red bloom, tilting his head as he answered,
"Well, I'd say she did a good job. It's the only place I think I'd wanna be in this entire palace... It actually feels like it's apart of this world. But speaking of, aren't you wanted somewhere your majesty?"
He smirked lightly, watching as the prince went into a little trance of his own. Well, it seems like he can do some mischief before they're done for the day. Quietly, like a rat sneaking through the pipes, he quietly crept through the grass as he approached Daniel's side. Indeed, he could get quite close without Daniel noticing. What would be an appropriate trick? He could always scare him. What a fun morning that would be. He glanced towards the tree, carefully climbing up the wood as he glanced towards Sarah, hoping that she wouldn't notice from her morning meal. The branches were strong enough to support his weight and he sat on the branch, hooking his ankles as he swung from the branch, his careless locks falling into his face as the world turned upside down. His face was inches from Daniels, a wild smirk as he shouted,
"WAKE UP YA TART!"
He reached his hands out to shake him but his legs lost its footing, a creak from the tree as he quickly fell headfirst from the tree. Luckily, he managed to turn it to his back before hitting the ground. It wasn't terribly high and it was more a thud on the Earth as he groaned in pain. his body splayed out as a dull pain spread throughout his body. Even if it was his fault, he still pouted like a child. He groaned as he rubbed the soreness out of his bones. There goes his childish prank gone wrong. He brushed the wild locks of hair back as he huffed upset,
"Damn tree!"
He glared at the green leaves before chuckling at himself, what a fool relaxation made him. But yet, this peace did somewhat make him uneasy, what fresh hell awaited him soon? Claude glanced over to Daniel,
"Hmmm, you know people will think it's odd that I'm not trying to stick onto you 24/7, won't they?"

Daniel's thought raced though his mind, trying to put a puzzle together of many things all at once. Leaning against the tree he stared off into the distance, his focus on a flower on the far end of the wall from where he was and for a moment his mind went blank. It was peaceful, something he rarely could say he found in recent years. The wind was soothing and as the boy felt his eyes begin to close he found himself just relaxed now. All his thoughts gone for a moment and he swore he could hear singing. Though that was quickly ended by Rosales playing around.

The shout gained the prince's attention but when the other fall out of the tree and pouted like a child about it the red head snapped from his trance first from concern than humor. Laughing loudly the prince had a large smile on his lips and shyly covered his mouth as he tried to control it. He had laughed so hard in ages yet Rosales was able to bring it out of him. "Oh yes, blame the poor tree." Daniel teased as he moved over and sat beside the man. With a grin he asked if Rosales was okay.

"Hm? Well, not really. You see in marriages like this-upon royalty and such-it is actually quite uncommon to always see the couple beside one another. Often married pairs have different sleeping chambers as well." Daniel explained. Daniel touched his own wrist without rallying thinking about it. "...though I like the idea of sharing a room with someone one day...I use too...never mind. Anyway, I would not mind spending time with you be it in public or not. Honestly if I were you I would not stick to me. You will need to be around more asses than just me." Daniel smirked playfully.

When it was getting close to the tea meeting the prince stood up and excused himself. Pausing he took off one of his rings he needed to wear and offered it to Rosales "Here, if anyone tries to cause trouble just flash this ring to them. They should leave you alone, this has my crest on it." he explained. Sarah jumped up and ran over to Daniel with her notepad in hand. Smiling he pat her head and kneeled for her,

"Sarah, would you kindly stay with Kawan? I know you want to be by my side, but he will need help around the palace for his first week here. I promise you the biggest cake." Daniel took her hand and kissed it. Sarah was still pouting but nod, the prince stood and bowed to the pair. Looking back to Rosales he felt himself feel some ease knowing that Sarah now would have another pair of eyes on her to ensure her safety. Excusing himself he began off to the tea meeting leaving the pair alone. The small girl looked up to Rosales and tried to smile. Turning to him she swallowed hard and spoke softly "Daniel said you wanted to paint, right? Would you like to go do it now or perhaps wait for awhile in the garden? You could try the honeysuckles here? They are good." Sarah tried making some small talk.

Back
Top Bottom