Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Suggestion Posting in request threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzislavanal

Planetoid
Since you guys have been hard core monitoring all other posting on peoples request threads.... might i suggest you just make all request threads nonreplyable like the rules thread is? The ownice should be on the original poster of the thread not the people that read the thread.

This would be a good UX feature considering it's an unusual rule in the realm of forums. I got nailed with a couple when I first joined, and after looking back at the rules, having turned images off for this site actually caused a text display error where that line was pushed off the screen, so I couldn't have even read it. It would have saved me a bucket of cold water over my head getting violations on my first day.

Since you guys have been hard core monitoring all other posting on peoples request threads.... might i suggest you just make all request threads nonreplyable like the rules thread is? The ownice should be on the original poster of the thread not the people that read the thread.
Wouldn’t that make it impossible for people to bump their own threads? Unless you could make it where only the thread owner can reply...

Yeah it is weird, it used to be, if I wrote with someone that was particularly good at something I was looking for, I'd go and say how much fun I had writing with them on their request thread and a part of me gets wanting to keep a thread clean but with people not being able to even send pm's when they first join, the idea that you can't comment on a request thread seems sort of strange.

Frankly, the other forums can kick dirt, because I really don't want people writing on my request threads.

Honestly, when you can have a request thread in every request board, and bump each one only so long, it makes no sense.... I'll see a title and go "Didn't that get bumped three hours ago? Oh it's by the same person but in a male instead of female request board." Seems odd to me.

If there was a way to make it so only the OP could actually bump their thread it'd probably be less of an issue. It's really just to make sure everyone gets a fair chance on the front page. It'd kind of ruin the whole' can only bump every 24 hours' thing. Otherwise everyone else posting would move the threads up.

I wouldn't even care about bumping my thread if I could just update my status to say "Accepting role plays today" or something, but we aren't allowed to do that. I know that sometimes when looking it would make things easier if I saw someone was looking for a role play when I looked straight at their profile and status.

The reason for the rule is only due to over-bumping. It was becoming a problem to the point of the creation of the rule. Some people were replying to other members RTs and even to their own alternate account RTs as a means to skirt the 24 hour bump rule. Some sites have a 30 day bump rule, so a 24 hour bump rule is pretty relaxed. There was a point that dozens (not one or two, but a couple of dozen) of people were bumping their RTs every hour on the hour just to be top spot. Again, the rule was put in place due to loopholery abuse.

On to the OP, it is something that Veks has to script, I believe. It can be made to where replies aren't enabled, but then the thread creator has to have additional privies. Staff can reply to locked threads due to these privies, so it's something that has to be worked in for the RT sections. I believe it is already on Veks to-do list.

I can't really speak for any member of staff but myself, but if we allowed posts in other user's Request Threads, it would honestly turn the Request Thread forums into a mess. We allow "once-per-twenty-four-hours" bumping to give everyone a chance to have their thread on the front page for an amount of time; if we allowed users to post in other user's Request Threads, someone could just recruit their friends to bump their thread at all hours of the day, and then those who are new to the site or don't have anyone available to do so wouldn't have a fair chance at keeping their thread visible.

As for advertising roleplay in status posts/chat, if we allowed that, things would be like F-List, constantly spammed with RP ads instead of being what they are really for: community engagement. We would rather people come into chat to talk about their day, about their interests, have conversations with people; and we would rather people use status posts to do the same: post funny things they find to make other people laugh, talk about something cool that happened to them that day, etc. If we allowed roleplay ads there, it would become entirely overrun.

i totally get that but there was a premise of my question is missed.... why is it the bumper of the thread punished? why not punish the op as well? its as if the only wrong doing is in the bumper. As what happened to me I pointed out a flaw(or ambiguous statement or whatever) and I get whacked to as it stands the op could be drunk and create a whacy request thread, we reply... and we get whacked lol it seems like a injustice rule to me.....

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue against now? You broke a rule and got a warning for it, what in your mind is unjust about that? If you wish to point out a 'flaw' in a request thread you can message the member, if you believe it's inappropriate or in the wrong section you can report it to the staff. You broke a rule about replying to the request thread and the original poster of that thread had no input on you breaking that rule, there is absolutely no reason they should be punished for your mistake.

ok again you miss my point . What do think whould happen if I made a request thread saying "please dont swear... you bitch..." or better yet actually asking them to reply lol people would point that out. It doenst matter private message, reply .. its human nature. So the OP gets to sit back and laugh at how many posters he got warned or banned, and gets nothing for instigating said infraction lol

OP would not get to 'sit back and laugh how many posters he got banned', because I'd say any person informed they broke one of the rules would not do it again. I myself broke it one time, then got informed/warned and honestly? I never ever forgot about it again. There was a reason to put this rule in place, and I feel plenty of people explained the reasoning.

I don't know, I don't mind the rule personally. What you suggest in the first post (that only OP can respond in the RT) I guess could work but it feels like it requires plenty of extra work from the coding side of things, to make it work? Although I am not well versed or experienced when it comes to this so I might be wrong.

But I don't think we should argue the rule in itself. Bottomline is that there are rules set in place for a reason and we have to follow them if we want to stay on the forums.

The OP is not at fault for other people posting in their request threads. The person who broke the rule by posting in someone else's Request Thread is the person who made the choice to post there. Making a thread isn't the same as forcing someone to post there.

If we see someone encouraging others to post in their thread, we would likely PM the OP to edit that part out and remind them of the site rules as well. Encouraging someone to break a rule is not forcing them to. The person who breaks the rule is the person who breaks the rule, and therefore, they are the one who has a rule infraction against them.

again missing my point... that rule only skews to one side. Thats an injust rule. um ive done it 4 times without thinking lol the issue is that I understand the rule. But it should be put in place for both parties. hence why i htink there should be a lock on it. Its easy to goad someone into posting. I was not doing it to give an extra bump. But it might also be argued that you could design your request thread to get extra bumps. so which is a worse infraction? innocently bumping another persons thread? or designing one in the hopes you get extra bumps.

um ive done it 4 times without thinking lol the issue is that I understand the rule. But it should be put in place for both parties. hence why i htink there should be a lock on it. Its easy to goad someone into posting. I was not doing it to give an extra bump. But it might also be argued that you could design your request thread to get extra bumps. so which is a worse infraction? innocently bumping another persons thread? or designing one in the hopes you get extra bumps.
It’s not easy to goad someone who pays attention to the rules into posting. That’s on you and your self control.

so you think the #me too movement is about self control? that the mob mentality is about self control? have you never said anything and wish you could take it back? its not about self control. Its about thinking the problem will only go away with a onesided rule lol

Regardless of your opinion on the rule, it is one that will remain in place.

This thread is being locked as it is getting out of hand.

This would be a good UX feature considering it's an unusual rule in the realm of forums. I got nailed with a couple when I first joined, and after looking back at the rules, having turned images off for this site actually caused a text display error where that line was pushed off the screen, so I couldn't have even read it. It would have saved me a bucket of cold water over my head getting violations on my first day.

I do intend to do this, however I need to add the functionality to the software. Right now my priorities are work and getting Elliquiy upgraded, which will allow a number of new features to be enabled here (such as push notifications). This will be my priority after the E upgrade has completed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom