Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Rose By Any Other Name (Frozen Princess and Verum Cor Meum)

The seventeen year old redhaired Princess of a small Scottish kingdom shimmied up a vine she grew through her magic.

"Rose!" An out of breath peasant girl only a few months younger than the adventurous royal gasped. "Mother is going to kill us both!"

"She tooches won hair on yer head or mine, an' me father would 'ang 'er sure as the sun rises. An' ye be knowin' it." Rose grinned as she stood on a large branch ten feet above the ground. "Now come along, adventure awaits no lass. Lay or royal!"

"We skin our knees like the last time... Or you rip your dress half off..." The brunette climbed up the leafy "rope" her royal friend created, "Your father may just let those thinking you're some sort of plant witch, tar and feather you. And me just for associating with you."

Princess Rose reached down to the other girl. "Ye be worryin' yer pretty li'l head a wee too much, Genevieve, me lass. Too much!" Genevieve sighed, reached up, and the princess pulled her up into the tree on the castle grounds near the royal rose garden that Rose had given a helping hand to bloom.

The King, widowed by the last winter, looked out the window. Enow is enow. If ye won't lissen t' reason, Rose... Fer yer own good... Nae ev'ryone in th' village liks yer special gift. The baker and his daughter Cinnamon; the tavern owner and her two daughters, one o' which ye play wi' now; the physician, his wife and his family of two children; the odd Noble or two; and the farmers are it. Th' rest want yer 'ead. I'm sendin' for a certain member o' me friend's, the King of th' neighbouring realm, family. I jus' hope she c'n arrive in time..."

Rose Screenshot_20200106-175906.png

A long week had been spent getting a certain lass to one kingdom to the next. It had been so long since the woman in the wagon had been in this kingdom. She had grown up here, and even was friends with the princess as kids however as they grew up the twin tailed woman was moved to a neighboring kingdom to train in the way of the bow and sword. There she figured she'd be a royal knight and serve until her dying days. However the King and father of her old childhood friend had pulled some strings to get her to come back home to serve as the personal knight to Princess Rose. Faye wasn't sure how she felt being pulled away from her life again, but at the same time she was happy to be with her old friend again.

Stepping out of the wagon in her light armor Faye glanced up at the castle. She hadn't seen it in over ten years at this point, but it still felt like home in a way. The knight wasn't in full armor rather she wore a dress of sorts. It exposed her legs, and her stomach but it had magic embedded in it so this outfit was as good if not better than a full suit of armor. She had a sword at her hip, and a bow on her back so it was pretty clear to most she was a noble lady, but rather a knight.

Walking into the castle she was lead to the throne room where she would kneel down on one leg and bow her head to the king. "Your grace it has been a long time. Faye Vermilion at your service." She introduced herself though she was sure the King knew who she was.

Faye:
&width=456&height=668&original=77s8AgZSGN6A

The baker was there, delivering donuts when Faye came and bowed to the King. "Faye?!" He gasped in surprise even before she introduced herself.

The King raised an eyebrow at the village confectionery and nodded to the new knight. "Welcome back..."

"Avast, ye lily-livered, daughter of a bilge rat!" ran in the halls.

"'Ooo ye be callin' lily-livered, ye seasick cap'n?!" Rose's voice rang out. Clank! Clank! Clank! They fenced right into the throne room, but stayed at the entrance going back and forth. Both were well skilled at the rapier, but neither would outduel Faye with her training.

"Remind me agin, o dear baker, why I let ye talk me int' allowing those two t' learn fencing, together?" The King sighed watching the two.

"So they don't hurt each other when they play pirates, Majesty?" The baker offered with a shrug before yelling, "Cinnamon! Not so rough!"

"I like it rough father! Rose is the only one of my friends who plays rough!" There was the sound of growing plants, and vines from nowhere, tangled Cinnamon and she landed on the floor bound. "I lost again?!"

Rose looked at her friend struggling in the vines wrapped around her. "I did offer. Ye kno th' game, lass.... Tis yer own rules. Seasick cap'n always loses t' th' mutineer." She waved her hand to remove the binds and free the light brownish red skinned girl, with brown hair and eyes. Her name definitely fit her as she looked like a tall cinnamon stick. Then Rose smiled and offered her a hand up.

Cinnamon, laughing, took the offered hand. "Fine. I'll let ye be cap'n next time."

The King looked at Faye. "Think ye c'n handle that royal whirlwind? I worry a lynching will occur. Ye saw her special gift I mentioned in me letter. Came upon her as she turned 13."

Faye stayed down on hr knee as she listened to the King, and Baker speak amongst each other. She used to be more informal, and acted like everyone was a friend, however that attitude was brought out of her by her mentors in the other kingdom. She was an obedient warrior now who was confused as she heard the princess playing a game they deemed pirates. After a moment she had stood up to glance over at them with curious eyes, she could remember her friend had always been a bit more wild than other princess. However Faye was still in the midst of a cultural shock. The royal family in the other kingdom where kept under strict care and drills. She would have never seen the prince of that kingdom playing pirates.

"I can handle whatever it throw at me sir I assure you." Faye's voice was elegant and strong it was nothing like her childhood voice. She used to be playful, and friendly however now she was a statue and defender of the royal family. A role she would not take lightly. Faye was impressed with the Princess' fencing skills though she had no doubts it was nothing compared to her training. At the mention of the princess' powers she nodded again. She had never seen the powers herself but she had heard of them. Surely the towns folk would divided into people worshiping her powers as a gift from the gods and others claiming her to be a witch.

"I will make sure no harm ever befalls Princess Rose, and should it ever happen milord I will accept a beheading for failing in my duties." Faye replied turning to stare at the king again. She really was an entirely different woman than the girl who used to play with Rose.

The King raised one eyebrow at Faye perplexed. "Beheadin' fer failin' bodyguard duties? Wha' een hea'ens name were ye taught, lass? Ye know in this kingdom only traitors lose their 'eads." He shrugged waving his hand, "Ye will jes find yerself inna dungeon fer th' rest o' yer natural life." He sighed, "Say yer good-byes t' yer friend, Rose and come meet someone."

The Baker smiled as he bowed, and Cinnamon curtsied, before both left.

Rose walked over and noticed the young woman. With a squeal that would make any bobbysoxer proud, she dropped the rapier with a clatter and ran arms wide, smile broad, to hug her old friend.

Faye simply stood there looking at the king with a blank expression, she had no reason to worry. She would keep the Princess safe no matter the cost, and one would have to kill her before they could ever reach the princess. Turning around she watched two individuals leave she wasn't fully aware of Cinnamon, though she had known the baker a bit when she lived here. She had always gone there to collect beard for her family if they needed it when she was growing up.

She than noticed the Princess coming to her for a hug, and she wasn't sure how to really react. Faye hadn't been touched by another human being in a none combative way in years. She had chosen a strict life so that her life could serve a greater purpose like keeping the Princess safe.

However she did hug the princess back to not be rude, though it was a soft hug. "You have grown into a fine lass milady." Faye replied smiling at her old friend, surely Rose would be in for a surprise when she noticed how Faye acted. When she was a child Faye was shy but would still be a bit playful around her friends. Now however she was the very definition of a knight.

Rose thanked Faye for the compliment, yet at the same time, gave her the same perplexed look her father had worn as she pulled away. Hers was a kingdom where you could be free to be yourself. Most kingdoms around them even kept royalty, nobles and peasants in separate castes, something King Williem was dead set against and even encouraged castes mixing. "Ye return in time for the annual summer celebration! Only one rule. Ye mus' 'ave a date. I know ye remember th' tavern owner's daughters Genevieve an' Elizabeth? They're gorgeous now... An' the youngest, Genevieve, is my date." Rose didn't know why she liked girls best... And especially adventurous girls... But she did. If Faye didn't want more shock, she needed to know that. Unfortunately, Rose had an odd way of telling her. "Problem is... I will nae be able to attend unless Elizabeth gets a date. She nae be lettin' the younger go if th' eldest can't. I offered to date both, but father slapped me face sayin' I woul' nae be thought upon as th' village whore. E'en if et be only gals. Me gift is nae thought as such by all in th' kingdom... Or surrounding realms." She cleared her throat. "Would ye lik t' see me Rose maze?" She asked cheerfully, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards the garden and the maze's entrance. The rose garden had been widened and turned into a simple labyrinth type maze. "Is where I had me first kiss..." She blushed, as she remembered how her and Cinnamon had kissed each other on the lips three years ago when Cinnamon's curiosity got the better of her. "It dinnae go any further, however." She seemed disappointed.

Noble Edwin McDuff, an Earl and Laird of McDuff Castle, another old acquaintance, and one of the few (but more than two) nobles who thought of the princess's power as a gift, would actually be in the center of the maze, sitting on the stone bench and admiring Princess Rose's handiwork.

Genevieve Host Screenshot_20200108-021829.png

Laird (Earl) Edwin McDuff Screenshot_20200108-021653.png

Faye simply blinked as the princess spoke suddenly of dates, and than to surprise her even more dating females. She had expected that from Rose so it wasn't that much of a shock, and her father allowing it only made sense he was a good man from what Faye recalled. Faye felt a bit uneasy as she thought Rose would ask her to date this eldest sister she mentioned so they could all go. Luckily the request never seemed to come out. Faye wouldn't mind going with another female, in fact much like Rose, Faye like females. However she hadn't had a romance of her own, and she would feel awkward. "You are just like how I remembered Princess. I am glad." Faye simply replied as she followed her to the rose maze, and that was when she brought up a first kiss. The knight had to blink at that, the princess was a lot more mature in the matters of love than Faye was. Faye hadn't even held someone's hand in a romantic way, let alone kiss someone. She wasn't jealous though, in fact she was glad her old friend was living a good life.

Spotting the Laird Faye quickly gave a bow to the man out of respect. "This is quite impressive milady, beautiful even." Faye commented looking at the area with curious eyes she had not seen what Rose was capable of but well it fit her name perfectly. She didn't speak to the Earl outside of the bow because she was taught not to speak unless spoken to. She knew things were different in this kingdom, but she was drilled to be like this.

"Innit tho." Laird McDuff gave a sad smile, as he nodded in response to Faye's bow. "Oft enow I come here. Mostly to contemplate."

Rose nodded to Faye. "Tis th' best place t' be practicin'. Nae as many eyes, an' those who see, are they 'oo dinnae mind it mouch."

"I steel be warnin' ye t' be responsible wi' it, now, Princess. As surely as ye were gifted, it c'n be jes as quickly taken." The Earl said calmly. He looked again at Faye. "Ye seem unusually quiet. I know we dinnae know each other well, but 'ave ye lost yer tongue, lassie?" He tried to grin through the tease, but clearly (to any knight, anyway) something was troubling the man.

Faye wasn't quite sure how to respond to that, she had never been called out on being quiet before in fact most the time she was yelled at for speaking too much. It really was a huge cultural shock happening right now. "I was taught to speak only when spoken to sir." Faye bowed her head at that she could sense something was wrong with the man, she was trained to sense such a things.

"Sire is something troubling you? As a knight I can offer my assistance for whatever ills you, or milady." Faye offered as she glanced around the maze once more, it truly was something. How someone could see Rose as anything but a gift from the heavens confused Faye.

"Aye." The Earl nodded, speaking softly so only Faye heard. "I dinnae t'ink ye can do much but tighten the reins on th' Princess... But..." He grimaced, looking quickly to Princess Rose before looking directly at Faye. "A goodly amoont o' th' nobles are nae fans o' the princess's powers o'er plants. Nor her apparent attraction to females, thinkin' either she's been bewitched or is one herself. They're tryin' t' stir as many as they c'n t' form a mob bent on burnin' 'er at th' stake, hangin' 'er lovers tho I doubt she has e'en one among 'er close friends... An' tar an' featherin' the rest o' us 'oo cannae in good conscience agree wi' eet bein' as they claim. There's only a handful of nobles, and maybe half the village what sees this as a blessing, nae a bewitching. All they have to do... Is go to neighboring kingdoms, and find enow to agree wi' them, an' th' lot o' us will be overrun. I nae only fear for her, but our kingdom an' way o' life. Talk t' any farmer in this kingdom, an' ye will find they t'ink Rose's power is a boon an' nae curse."

"I see." Faye replied crossing her arms for a moment she knew matters were bad, but not this bad. She wasn't sure how well she'd be of use if these other nobles incited a war with the help of a neighboring kingdom. The kingdom she came from wouldn't side with them as they thought the princess was a goddess in human clothing. However there were other kingdoms who would not see it that way and if these nobles asked for their help they would probably join in.

"Have you informed the King of this?" Faye inquired and as the Earl nodded she turned to Rose. "I'm sure if milady continues to show she is not to be feared, than the nobles should have no reason to go for her. If they do I will do all in my power to keep her safe." She promised offering a smile.

Rose hadn't really listened to the conversation, but instead was poking around the still empty spot in the center. With a shout of glee, she seemed to grow a tree right in the middle of the spot, stopping it at a certain point once it stood about thirty feet, and, while she hummed a Scottish ditty, just as her father appeared, the tree bore fruit... But not just one. Apples, pears, quince and almonds all appeared with rosebushes of different colors surrounding it. White to the west, Red to the North, Yellow to the East, and pink to the South. Strawberries appeared in patches in front of each rosebush.

King Williem blinked several times at the spectacle and rubbed his eyes to look again.

Edwin about busted a gut, he laughed so hard, as the Princess blushed and uttered an "Oops. Think I may hae overdune th' Rosaceae* jes a wee bit."

Edwin shook his head. "Nae real 'arm, milady... At least one could pick from yer wide selection! Ye dinnae mind if I get a pear?"

Rose shrugged. "That's what I did it for, Laird McDuff."

The man plucked a pear, took a bite, and nodded approvingly. After swallowing, he offered some advice. "Try t' make this a one o' a kind tree... Keep practicin'. Focus on only one plant at a time, rather than th' fam'ly. Might be where ye run int' trouble."

Blushing, the Princess nodded.

King Williem addressed the Earl. "I've alerted th' guards aboot yer fear, which is well founded. Tho I hae yet t' meet someone who considers Rose a threat. I had heerd rumours t' bring her 'arm, but not o' burnin' her. Tis why I sent for Faye t' return.

*-Every single tree fruit and the roses and strawberries come from the family Rose just mentioned. All but the almonds are pommes (pomes).

Faye was in awe shock as she watched the princess summon a tree, and it wasn't just that but a tree that housed multiple different fruits, and such in it. Shaking her head she regained her composure. Her eyes landed on a red apple wantingly, she was a sucker for apples, but she didn't request to have one. It wasn't her place, she would simply buy one from the market later. Kneeling as the King appeared she glanced up at both men than to Rose.

"Milady will come of no harm." Faye replied again she was sure in her skills, she would protect Rose as if she was the last flower in the world. Despite being a entirely different person than she had been as a kid she still held a interest in Rose. As a kid she had even had a crush on her, but had never spoken of it. She couldn't say how she felt now on that front, but she did know the Princess was important to her and the kingdom.

"If the nobles come after milady, the Adestira Kingdom will come to your aid in protecting her." Faye informed Adestira was the kingdom where she was trained and raised into the young knight that was before them. They were a strict kingdom but a ally to this one.

Williem shook his head and motioned for Faye to rise. "If ye moost once per day will suffice, Faye. Nae every bloody tyme I coom by." He put his hand to a chin. "Aye. I hope we be nae needin' 'em, but I'm aware." He nodded to Faye.

Rose plucked a red apple, the one it looked like Faye may have been eying, and a quince for herself. She came over to the knight as Williem once again addressed the Earl. She handed the apple to her. "Here ye be. Ye needn't be worried o' breakin' sum law. I grew the tree so visitors an' residents o' th' castle alik doan be needin' t' run t' th' village alla time. They usually git their apples from father's orchard at any rate. 'E sends 'em an allotment ev'ry week."

The Earl answered the King's unheard (by the girls) question. "Aye, Majesty, goin' as well as one c'n expect. I believe the realm t' our North, the kingdom of Edinborough (Edinburgh, now) an' Midlothian (same area) will side wi' us if th' need arises... But I'm more worried aboot th' other three that surround us. Specifically th' one t' th' South, as they have warred wi' us erstwhile, ere William Wallace fought for us t' stay free."

"So Queen Heather be for us as well."

"Aye. We need only ask, and the whole of her royal army will come."

Williem sighed. "Les 'ope, old friend, tha' does nae happen."

Faye stood back up and gave a nod. She knew if a king ordered you not to kneel everytime to listen though she would make sure to do it at least once a day as he mentioned. She might have been friends with Rose as a child but she didn't see that as a reason to not show respect to the king. Plus she could remember the slap on the wrist back home when she didn't kneel in front of every noble. She turned to watch Rose, something she would always be doing. She would take this job very seriously, and that meant always having an eye on the princess.

As she was handed the apple she wasn't sure how to react. She had never been taught how to respond to a noble gifting one something it wasn't very common. So she decided to go with a basic thank you. "Thank you Milady." She eyed the apple in her hands now she hadn't eaten since the ride here though she resisted the urge to bite into the juicy fruit. She'd wait til later so for now she simply held it idly as she looked to the King and Earl.

She didn't wanna eavesdrop to much she was hired to protect Rose not lead their army if a rebellion raised up so she tried to know her place. Turning to Rose she smiled she wasn't sure how this wonderful woman could be seen as anything but a treasure. "Milady feel free to go about your day as usual, I will make sure not to be an annoyance." She spoke figuring the King wouldn't really want Rose listening to the talks of the rebellion. "Perhaps we could discuss this summer celebration you mentioned earlier." Faye remembered it vaguely back when she was kid how the adults, and teenagers would dance and have fun. However she hadn't been to such a event since she was a wee child. So she was clueless, though unless ordered she'd not take part in this event now either though a part of her wanted to.

Rose sighed and pointed with her head to the stone bench. "We'll sit o'er there. Where Laird McDuff was earlier. I dinnae t'ink when I was makin' it. One way in an' oot. An' father will stand there all afternoon if he hae the mind t' talk t' th' Laird of things 'sides who's our allies and who aren't."

Finally, Rose acted like a proper lady, as she smoothed her dress and tucked it to sit, crossing her shins as she did. "The summer celebration. Aye, we were too young. Ye cain't attend unless ye be "of age" and that's thirteen. So... On th' longest day of the year, which be th' summer solstice, the kingdom celebrates the comin' summer as it coincides wi' th' farmers' crops beginnin' t' take shape. We all gather 'ere at th' castle for merriment, dancin', an' a feast tha' is second only t' th' Yuletide. It's more for th' farmers, and since they're all married and some hae chillen." She shook her head. "All other invitees, which be th' whole o' th' kingdom, moost hae a date as nae to insult the guests o' honor, who alway coom paired up at th' very least." She glanced at her father, and then looked at Faye. "Tis been a tradition o' th' Kingdom o' Briarwood since me great grandfather." Another shrug. "Fruit wines are served t' all guests, an' many diff'rent flavours, which may be why one moost be at least thirteen. Father hae mentioned last year 'e may make it fifteen starting this." She leaned over as if telling a secret. "Had a bit o' a row amongst th' younger guests, and me date was Cinnamon... She tried t' break it up an' got a black eye fer her trouble. Though I think another reason is Queen Heather, who you heerd mention... Is thinkin' o' timin' her visit wi' it... T' see how well father's 'experiment' wi' mixing castes together is workin'."

Faye followed Rose to the bench and sat down looking over to the King and the Earl at least they were taking this seriously. Most other kingdoms would laugh of a rebellion, until it actually happened. She was glad this wasn't the case. Turning her attention back to Rose she listened. "I see it sounds like a fun evening." Faye nodded though she was merely trying to sound nice, she wasn't interested in parties that much. "Hopefully I can stand out to the side since I won't have a date. Though I need to keep an eye on you." She stated looking over to the king surely he would find a way to allow her to go. Faye wasn't the best at flirting, or making friends let alone lovers. Hearing the bit about the wine almost caused her to burst out laughing though she composed herself. "I...I see villagers always have a habit of drinking too much. I hope Cinnamon was okay afterwards."

"She was fine, lass, bit irritated, but then, 'oo cul blame her, aye?" She took a deep breath and shook her head. "I'm th' Princess, an' father would nae let me attend wi'out a date. Wul tha' me ACTUAL love interest be comin' but nae one soul asks Elizabeth to it. I so hope this year is diff'rent. I'm sure Genevieve wul love it." She was not about to order Faye to take Elizabeth, so she could bring Genevieve. Only suggestively hint at it.

(Like I have with Genevieve, you can look for a "dirty blonde" tavern peasant for Elizabeth if Faye decides to ask her.)

Faye could get the hint, and she didn't respond for a bit. She wasn't sure she really wanted to go on a date with someone, but perhaps she could offer in a friendly way. "I could go and ask Elizabeth if she'd want to go with me if that would please you milady." She offered she knew who the two sisters were but they were kids when she knew them so she really didn't know what they looked like now. "I'm not sure a fair lady would accept my offer, but we can surely try." Faye wasn't confidence in her looks, she didn't think she was ugly, but she no lady. At least in her mind, ask anyone else and they'd tell you an entirely different story.

Rose nodded as if that would be good enough, and smiled.

"Laird McDuff is headed home, if ye two would give a greeting of farewell. Tis also tyme t' be headed in. Rose. She's yer bodyguard, but her comfort is yer responsibility as much as yer safety is hers. Show her to 'er room."

Rose looked up. "Aye father." Turning to Faye she said calmly "If ye be followin' me, then?" They would travel along a long hallway, past paintings of houses, farms and fields*, portraits of many men and women, all related somehow except one of a family. Faye's family. There was a large oaken door in a bright pastel color right next to it. "An' here i' tis." She pointed across the hall to double white doors with fancy handles and a rose on each one. Each door was only three quarters the size of the one door, but the entrance into the other room was still wider. "An' I'm right across from ye, as it shul' be as yer me bodyguard."

*-salute to a favorite folk song The City of New Orleans

Faye offered a bow to the Earl and than the king before she followed Rose down the hallways. Her eyes would glance around the paintings idly as they continued down she recognized most of the people whose portraits lined the walls. She had either remembered them as a kid or had studied up on them before coming here for her new job. She eyed the painting of her family for a moment, Faye's family had houses many a knights. However they had all died when Faye was a kid which was one of the reasons she decided to leave the kingdom to train. So that she could forget the bad memories. However it didn't bother her anymore nor did seeing their portraits. "

"Thank you for being so accommodating milady." Faye replied looking to the door that would lead to her room, this was new to her. She had been used to sleeping in barracks but it made since for her to have a personal room near to the Princess'. "If you are in need merely shout, I will be there in seconds." She informed looking to Rose again smiling. "I can not wait to spend more time with you milady, but if there is nothing else I should probably bathe." With that she would move to head into her room though hesitate just in case the princess had a order first.

Rose smiled and nodded, giving a slight curtsy. "Aye. Ye know me lungs. They'll lik t' heer me in Edinborough and Midlothian. As well as Adestira. Jes hope I doan rouse good Queen Heather! (Who would still be in Edinborough and Midlothian)" After her little wisecrack about waking the leaders of the surrounding ally kingdoms, she said, "Ye let me know, too. Ye heerd me father. Yer comfort is me responsibility. Guess we're t' tak care of each other, then." Watching her pause, Rose wondered why on Earth Faye stopped. "If it's an order yer waitin' on... Here i' tis. Two simple words. 'Sleep. Well'." She shook her head, unsure if she liked this new Faye. She wanted the one back that knew how to have fun, yet was still responsible. She really really liked that one. Quietly she went to her room, to go to bed as well.

(I don't have any plans for the first full day together. If you've any ideas... Start us off, please)

Faye had awoken before the sun even rose just like she was trained to back in Adestira. Not complaining she pushed herself up her hair a mess and her face still half asleep. She'd quickly get up and move to get a bathe in. She didn't ask a servant to fill a tub rather she did the work herself. Not worrying about warming the bathe she got in the ice cold water, and quickly washed away any dirt and grime from yesterday. Quickly stepping out of the tub she'd put on her magic armor and stretched. She figured she would try to go speak with the woman Rose wanted her to take on a date to the summer event. It was only right to get to know the woman now and not drop the offer on her the night of the party.

Once she was cleaned, and clothed she walked over to the apple from yesterday and ate it peacefully while sitting at a desk reading a book. It wasn't a very knightly book rather it was a romance novel about a knight and peasant woman. The knight in the novel was a male, but it was rather hard to find novels about female knights. Once she assumed enough time had passed she closed her book and moved outside of her room to wait for Rose to arrive to present her plans to speak with Elizabeth today.

Unlike Faye, Rose got up with the sun. Of course her personal valet, a woman named Solaria, pulled open the curtains so the sun hit the princess right between the eyes. "Ach!" The princess complained.

Faye would no doubt hear the conversation.
"Up wi' ye! Bath is already drawn! Ye dinnae need t' be sleepin' t' noon lik ye do on me days off!" Solaria said. The rustling was obviously the valet yanking the covers off the princess and out of her hands. "Move it, lass... The way ye play, an' alway inna dirt, a wonder yer father doan order ye t' take two baths a day. Mornin' an' evenin'!"

The princess was worse than a cat with her yowling and complaining. The water was too cold. Then it was too wet. Soap was in her eyes. Water was in her eyes. Soapy water was in her eyes. Now the corset was too tight. The dress fit funny. The tiara didn't look right. No. She wanted to fix THAT herself.

King Williem heard the commotion and came quickly.... If nothing else, to prevent Faye from busting in on Rose and Solaria. "Tis another typical day, lass. Me daughter is very... Feline... Ere her first cup o' tea. Somethin' she ne'er outgrew, sadly." He was holding a cup and saucer that he thrust right in Rose's hands the moment she stepped out of her room. Solaria, a nearly pale woman and very tall and lanky, with platinum blonde wavy hair could be seen making the bed. "If I had a way, young lady... Ye'd hae yer tea, ere ye have yer bath! Heavens, I sometimes wonder if ye aren't half cat!"

Sheepish, Rose bowed her head as she finished her tea.

"I need ye t' go t' th'village, and find oot precisely wha' happen at th' tavern las' night, Faye. If ye need a cat leash fer Rose, let me know, now, an' I'll have a servant fetch it."

Rose finished her tea and stifled a yawn. "Hosts are ok?"

Williem nodded. "Aye. Ms. Host sent Genevieve as her runner. Cannae understand why she c'n run errands, but cannae go t' the summer celebration unless Elizabeth has a date. Preposterous. If she's so fine wi' ye two datin' she shul' loosen 'er reins on Genevieve a might," he then looked at Faye, "Ye agree on that, aye?"

The King didn't understand the tradition of the eldest getting married first, which seemed to be Ms. Host's hang-up. Elizabeth was 19, and Genevieve was 16 going on 17. Genevieve was seeing the Princess. Socially. Elizabeth had nary a suitor of either gender.

Back
Top Bottom