Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Lancer aka I Like Little Bots and I Cannot Lie

Hello.

There have been a series of computer games recently about huge mechs (Battletech and Mechwarrior Mercenaries). Sadly, these don't really seem to translate well to tabletop unless you're going for the full Miniature-Wargame deal. So instead, I'd like to try and run a short game of Lancer.

What's Lancer? 1d4Chan sums it up quite nicely, I think: [link]

Ah, you are a Lancer of taste and distinction I see! I rather liked the Genghis - it feels like "proper Starship Troopers"

Reading this has actually made me dig out my (very very) old Cyberpunk 2020 stuff. Because I'm not immune to the charms of Keanu / 2077 either. They actually had rules for power armour in that, and the aesthetic feels very similar...

GenghisLANCER.jpg

Tossing around character ideas, but knowing we'd do stuff at LL5/12 also helps. I admit i'm mostly looking at the Drake, Blackbeard, Balor, and Tortuga. Mostly I just want to play something made out of tonka tough steel and rip and tear.

But character wise, i'm tossing about ideas. Since we're not using the Traditional Lancer setting, maybe something of a Priest who fights to defend others, or maybe an Outlaw - sick of the injustices of the galaxy and looking to make their mark on helping others.

Both Outlaw and Priest sound fun; I imagine a lot of scope for both. And let's face it, priest / chaplain was one of the most badass of the Roughnecks in the book - Migliaccio or something.

As for why you're on Sepulchre, I imagine that you're working as mercenaries, or have responded to the future-equivalent of a "Help Wanted - Must Have Own Suit" advert. You'd then get bundled into a corporate dropship.

Oh right, I forgot we were supposed to be mercs. That changes my idea, then. Now I'm thinking a frontier kid who got picked up by a merc crew after his colony got wrecked by pirates, joined up with them to earn his keep since he had nowhere else to go. I'll work on that today!

I want the premise to be as broad and open as possible; I promise here and now (perhaps rashly) to incorporate whatever you give me (within reason)!

I was torn between a young ex-soldier who was exceptionally good at mech-piloting so he became a Lancer. And an experienced mercenary who became good enough to become a Lancer through combat experience. Ended up going with the mercenary since I'm still new and melee combat seemed simpler to get into than ranged artillery and tech attacks.

Back
Top Bottom