Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Visual Novel World: Deepfathom Academy

Lady Rinne

Dreaming goddess
Welcome to Deepfathom Academy
Founded 150 years ago following the calamitous Twinkings War that resulted in the sundering of the 12 realms into their current divided state, Deepfathom Academy strives to offer the highest quality mystical education to the children of the elite. Here we work to foster cooperation and camaraderie between future leaders and influential individuals across the realms. Independent of the 12 realms and their tumultuous politics our fine establishment and the city that surrounds it is the ideal place to learn and grow, to become the best you can be. Assuming of course you can pay the entrance fee and get past the rigorous approval process. Only the best are welcome after all....

Visual Novel World is a game system developed by steelsmiter. I'd describe it as a hybrid-narrative system, with simpler mechanics than a d20-based game. In this system, you tend to make one abstract roll to determine success/failure ("roll Sports to climb out of the pit") instead of a bunch of rolls with highly detailed modifiers ("so that's a -2 for the slickness of the rope, with a +1 bonus thanks to your teammate's success at tying it off at the top. Though you're still a little dazed from your fall into the pit, so -2 from that. Because you have infravision, I don't need to apply the low light penalty. Though I will need checks for every 10' of the climb so we can determine how much damage you take if you fall")

Because this system is designed to replicate a Visual Novel, your character can't really die. Defeated, bound and corrupted by the forces of darkness, maybe, but even that's not common. Most challenges are about lighter things, like getting that hot stud or babe to notice you, struggling your way to a passing grade on a pop quiz, catfighting with a rival, or winning a hurdles race. When you do get damaged, healing and recovery takes place through acts of affection. Or, if you're boring, you can visit a doctor or do bed rest or something.

You can find a list of archetypes as well as instructions for creating characters if you follow the link here. There is also an expansion book, you are and should feel free to use archetypes from it as well in the process of creating your characters.

Important Note: We will not be using the races as archetype system present in the book. Instead races will work as follows.

To make a custom, non human race do the following. Come up with a name/concept. Give it a major power, give it two minor powers, and then give it a flavorful drawback. Then discuss it with me so I can let you know how the race looks and tweak it with you! See below for an example as well. If you choose to play a human, you instead pick 1 additional move from your starting archetypes ranked 2-5 and start with that move.

Dragonling:
Major Power:
Breath fire: To use this roll 2d6+hot.
Minor Powers:
Dragon Magic: Your use magic applies either hot or weird as the modifier, whichever is higher.
Dragon parts: You may have obvious draconic features like horns, scales, and a tail while in human form.
Penalty:
Heat seeking: You are sluggish and slow when cold and you need to sun yourself or otherwise warm up regularly. Take -1 to all rolls when cold.

In closing, I am excited to offer everyone a fun and exciting game and hope to see interest! We already have 3 players who have expressed interest prior to this thread going up which means the game is happening so never fear, anyone who joins will get to play!

PS: There's a discord Here! and if you join, I and others who are in the game/use the system will be happy to help you out!

Extra PS: Thanks to Ahlanna for letting me use her summary of the system in my thread too!

Name: Tilarna Restial
Archetypes: Dancer/Bokukko/Foreigner
Looks:
7b5c9a58d68212553a767d252c3ee8db.jpg

Drive: Exhibitionism
Senpai: Ellorine Velin
RL: 1 RP: 0

Attributes
Cool: -1
Hot: +2
Smarts:
Sports: +1
Weird: +1

Bruises: 4
Blood: Same as Bruises

Starting Moves
Magical Dance (AME p. 7)
Tomboy (Survivalism) (p. 37)
Linguistic Foibles (p. 49)

Advanced Moves
Competitive Spirit (p. 134, granted as bonus for being a human)

Equipment
  • Non-perishable food (3 uses)
  • Mysterious Food X (2 uses)
  • 500 Gold
  • 2000 Gold
  • An extra change of clothes
  • Fishing Pole
GPA/Bonds
Group Bond (Tribe of the FLame Jaguar, GM Freebie) +2
2 unspent (waiting for other characters).

Last edited:
Name: Alexa Golema
Archetypes: Android/Genki/Shapeshifter
Looks: Alexa's bright red eyes , perfect black hair laced into her head, obvious clockwork joints, and armored body betray her magical nature as an advanced golem.
Optional Body Shape Generation: Currently Alexa presents as about 60 kg, 160 cm, 78C-62-78 (32C-24-32 for imperials) Her actual weight is a good deal more.
Drive: Truth (Who is my creator, being the primary one)
Senpai: My creator, or whomever they will to be my Senpai. Currently unknown
RL: 1 RP: 0

Attributes
Cool: +0
Hot: -1
Smarts: +1
Sports: +1
Weird: +2

Bruises: 4
Blood: Same as Bruises

Starting Moves
Construct (p. 133)
Nanobionic Repairs (p. 134)
Enthusiasm (p. 46)
Impersonation (AME p. 27)

Advanced Moves
Integral Armaments (p. 134, GM gave it for not choosing one of their custom races)
  • Currently stowing Combat Umbrella
Equipment
  • Cute Stuffed Animal
  • Friendship Bracelet
  • Journal of exciting daily events
  • Spare change of clothes
  • 2 uses Mystery Food X
  • Combat Umbrella (4 gear picks, AME p. 41)
GPA/Bonds
Group Bond (Permanent Residents of Deepfathom, GM Freebie) +2
Cassandra Sel’Vorain and I are kindred spirits, as much as two excitable girls can be when one of them was man made. +1
1 unspent.

Last edited:
Ill throw my hat into the ring. Try to come up with a niche character. Ill need to read that book though which might take a bit

Yeah,
I basically had a look through.
I'd love Martial Artist/ Limit-Breaker/Brick archetype. I have a character concept for a gladiator, super strong, powerful, but just kind of a big over the top loveable idiot. Think All Might from MHA but not as intelligent. Would there be another archetype for maybe someone friendly, likeable, heroic I might not have picked up?

If this is too, physical for you, I could go with kind of a nerdy character. Support healer/bookworm/wizard type.

What do you think would be best?

Would there be another archetype for maybe someone friendly, likeable, heroic I might not have picked up?
Well, the Big Sister (Oneesama/Aneki), the Childhood Friend (osananajimi), and the Genki all have friendliness on lockdown. Genki has a 6+ move that puts them at a serious advantage, but is otherwise a sidekick before then. Childhood Friend is similar, but they need to be helped, or put preparations in place. Big Sister's more of a face than a hero. The latter two feel like they would have a mutually beneficial relationship with existing Genki.

There's a couple other ideas that while they might not necessarily be heroic, they do have a certain combat potential.

I think I might do the energetic girl. Someone thats hyper and excited. I have a dumb idea in my head that should add some comedy to the story. A fun big guy archetype is a blast.

I think I might do the energetic girl. Someone thats hyper and excited. I have a dumb idea in my head that should add some comedy to the story. A fun big guy archetype is a blast.
Also something I thought about last night for the heroic part is Way of the Warrior. As for injecting comedy, my favorites are Dojikko and Cuckoolander

Back
Top Bottom