Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fx Any Clockpunk to cyberpunk timeline-- anyone for some retrofuturism?

AnitaAngeline

The Pride of Polkar
Hi everyone! In case you haven't read my introduction, I'm Anita (she/her or they/them). I've been roleplaying for almost five years and have recently developed a sort of RP canon that I want to share here. Maybe it's a little geeky, and I certainly need less free time, but I'm proud of it, dammit!

Before we start, though, here's a little bit about me: I'm a 20-year-old, existentially angsty, pansexual college student, so there's no need to worry about your character's gender if you're here for an erotic RP-- I like all genders! However, I do prefer much longer, more character-driven stories in RPs, so it's highly likely that things won't get steamy for a long time. As you're about to find out, I'm not too fond of hyper-realistic RPs and prefer to have some element of fantasy in my stories. This isn't a hard limit, and I've done realistic RPs before, they just aren't my favorites.

I won't bore you with a long list of things I don't want included in an RP here, so I'll just give you my main no's here and tell you if anything else comes up during an RP. I don't really like god-modding or having my partner control my character and will probably just ignore you if you do that. I'd also like to let it be known that creepy behavior/extreme forwardness or pushiness will probably not be rewarded in an RP with me, and anything that gets into non-consensual territory is over the line.

Anyway, let's get to the point of this post: I've created an entire fictional country called Polkar that has a long history spanning from the retrofuturistic renaissance (called the Clockpunk Period) to a dystopian future where digital life is more desirable than reality (the Cyberpunk Period). Below, you'll see somewhat of a timeline that focuses in on the go-to characters I have for each period. These aren't the required characters for me, and I am very likely to play multiple characters for certain periods, but they do provide pretty decent examples of the kinds of people you're likely to meet in each time period of Polkar.

Clockpunk: Aesthetically and technologically, you can think of this period as the European Renaissance having a kid with the modern day. There's rudimentary cars and flying machines, and the first automaton is built in this time period. Technology is largely clockwork or mechanical (pulleys, wind-ups, that sort of stuff) and society is still quite feudal with serfs making up much of the labor. Amelia Shepard lives in this time period, and she is the daughter of a shepard for one of Polkar's noblemen. When she isn't tending to her father's flock, she spends much of her time writing poetry that's somewhat a reversal of English pastoral poetry in which noble life is presented as paradise.

Steampunk: This kind of setting is a classic one and I doubt a lot of explanation is needed. Clockwork has given way to steam now, and the efficiency of Polkar's tech has skyrocketed. The feudal monarchy is made largely obsolete as a result of the increase in the common folks' quality of life, and a new push for democratic rule leads to a violent revolution. New tech like guns, blimps, and aeroplanes makes the war like nothing Polkar has ever seen before, with violent murders taking place left and right. What's more, certain sects of the rebellion seem to have more dangerous agendas than simply bringing democracy to the country, particularly the Sword of Fire, a radical nationalist faction within the rebellion. Anita Angeline is a normal scholar with a wealthier-than-most father trying to escape the chaos and violence of the revolution. She spends most of her time reading and talking to her three dorm mates. To the outside observer, she's just a secluded, uninteresting scholar, but something mysterious lurks underneath the surface of her life.

Dieselpunk: The monarchy is officially overthrown, but all is not well in Polkar. Remember the Sword of Fire? Yeah, they took over the rebellion and essentially turned it into a fascist movement. Now the art deco skyscrapers and 1920s style fashion of the country are overshadowed by a brutal dictatorship in which "True Polks" enjoy prosperity and luxury while the "Degenerates" identified by the Sword of Fire must endure the latest martial inventions-- the wearmach, a form of super soldier that combines man and machine. The Sword of Fire is a formidable evil in Dieselpunk society, but rebellion is alive and well and a new resistance movement is taking shape. Alice Fincher is a so-called "Degenerate" herself, as well as a fighter in this resistance, having narrowly escaped execution by the Sword of Fire for her sexuality. Her girlfriend, however, didn't make it, and now she is caught not only in a battle between rebels and fascists, but hope and despair as those close to her drop like flies.

Atompunk: After the Dieselpunk Revolution, Polkar enjoys something it hasn't known for generations: peace. The country begins rebuilding itself after the Sword of Fire falls, and eventually ushers in a new era. Space travel becomes the next big thing, while those still planet-bound enjoy inventions such as the flying car. It's basically The Jetsons or Futurama, but, you know, kind of serious. Anti-war movements pop up left and right, and much of the country is powered with nuclear energy. One small city even gets a superhero-- Golden Madeline is allegedly a crime-fighting badass from outer space. In actuality, she's the end result of secret experimentation with gene editing spawned by the wearmachs of the Dieselpunk Period. Used for propaganda and often exposed to the ugly truths of Polkar's justice system, she is becoming increasingly disillusioned with Atompunk society and is learning disdain for her own position.

Biopunk: Almost to Polkar's final time period! After the success of the Golden Madeline project, genetic engineering becomes a huge part of society. People are essentially able to buy traits for their children, and copyright law eventually makes the companies behind genetic customization inordinately powerful. The power in Polkar shifts again, but this time it does so without chaos or violence-- the merging of genetics and capital simply puts more power in the hands of gene-sellers. Adriana Hunt is a young woman who sold her own genetic code to survive. Now she's a spokesperson for her local gene-seller. Sporting natural good looks, cat ears (because it wouldn't be a biopunk dystopia without corporate catgirls), and a light inside that is slowly dying, she tries her hardest to survive in this grim, new world.

Cyberpunk: As genetic augmentation becomes less popular, cybernetic augmentation slowly rises. Genes no longer have to be bought before birth (or forcefully added to a person's DNA, a painful and expensive progress)-- now people can simply change who they are with the click of a button, as most people have digitally-augmented eyes that allow them to see elements of reality that don't actually exist. The world is collapsing around people, but VR and AR provide a much-needed escape from the horrors of reality. Increasingly, however, it is become hard to distinguish between the real world and the cyberverse. Lia Tomb makes a living in this world as a freelance programmer by day and a hacker by night. As she accumulates credit through legal and illicit means alike, and hopes to fund something big-- grizzled as she is, Lia still has the smallest stars in her eyes.

So, yeah, that's pretty much it. If this sort of stuff interests you, or if you have questions, don't be afraid to PM me! PMs are also where I prefer to do RPs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom