Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What techniques do you like to use to organize your thoughts?

Leonheart

I turned myself into a pickle!
Supporter
Particularly in reference to RPing. I find I can think better and fill out my characters and stories more by writing them down first, then typing them. It takes longer, but that's why I typically only write with one fellow writer at a time.

Hm, I used to do that when I worked in a call center. We could do anything on our desk while dialling except anything computerized. So, I would have a notebook and write down either just notes or the whole post, then take it home and type it. I don't usually hand write things unless I have to.

I am a huge list maker. I like to make lists to organize my thoughts. Not always but very often, my post first draft will be a list of lines, character reactions that I put down as I'm going through another read through on my partner's post. Like, usually each item is a line long and is either dialogue or represents a thought I wish to touch upon in my post, usually prompted by something my partner's character said or did in their post. Then, second draft, I put away my partner's post and go through my list and flesh out each item on the list into paragraphs that flow together with a thought process and direction.

What I typically do is the following:
1. Set up a basic prompt and talk it out with the other roleplayer (asking them about stuff they'd like and saying what sort of stuff I'd like)
2. Forget up to 90% of the above discussion and play my responses by ear (rereading our discussions if I find myself stumped for ideas)

I'm impressed you can write it all down first, I feel like I'd get exhausted real easily. I never organize unless for longer or more complicated posts, then I'll just type out a few lines of dialogue or action that I think would sound interesting for the reply. Then when I'm ready to write the whole thing, I just fill in everything between those few lines. It's probably not the most efficient, but it's been working so far.

I only started doing it recently and decided to only have one writing partner this time around ^^

Back
Top Bottom