Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sherlock Holmes and the case of the omni-powerful love canal (Cylian and Phoenix only)

Cylian997

Digital Pimp
Supporter
The year? 2471. Modernity has struck in such a way where humanity has become more machine than man. The singularity, achieved in 2069 by the now famed and esteemed group of doctors named Dr. Colleen Banks, Dr. Hiromu Takahashi and Dr. James Englewood had pushed humanity forward. Much how Sir Issac Newton had expanded the collective consciousness of the world, these three doctors had changed the world, for better or for worse, and this was now the world people lived in. Mega corporations who no longer dealt in archaic things like gold or paper money. No, this was a far more different world.

The world had become frighteningly efficient in how it functioned at this point in time; automation, 3-D printing and cyborgs had sucked the soul out of the trades that man once did. Even simple skills such as cooking have mostly now been forgotten and passed away for the quick efficiencies of “Don Juan’s Bandera” or “Xu Shen’s Lo Mein”. In the crippling homogenization of the world, of the colors which once brought vibrancy were now a stark reminder of the crippling cold of loneliness. Cultures that had once brought the world its greatest pieces of artwork had been replaced by cellular technology that can augment reality in such a way that the word museum had now become extinct.

There were at least some boons to this new world, free time was the most abundant resource in the world; paired with boredom, depression, anxiety and ennui. Which sadly led to a rather high crime rate, recreational drug use rate and so much more. However, a certain case was not so simple. While it might seem so on the surface, there were layers to this case. It was the tragic, confusing murder of one Elenor Cartwright and it was this murder that spun the wheels of fate towards an unreal action of events. It was quite a well known case as it was certainly unexpected for the various twists and turns that were about to unfold.

"Good evening viewers, my name is Vick McGee and this is the channel X77 news for Capital City T723998. Our top story, a bizarre murder took place in one of the more affluent sections of the city near the Everstone Towers. A premiere trader of cryptocurrency currently worth over 37 million was found dead in her apartment. While the details are scarce, there seems to be a new designer drug involved simply known as "High Life". The drug is also known as "Private Party" found in the domicile. In the apartment there were signs of a struggle as there was bruising but the deed was ultimately done with an unregistered laser pistol. Currently there are no leads but the police are investigating the case. But onto sports!"

Vick was always an insufferable twat, but he always scored well with the female demographic for still being human but one fact had remained true, Elenor was dead and the police had sequestered away the evidence and ensured that no one was allowed inside. The only thing that could have happened now was a visit to the police station to see the detective in charge of the case. Especially to see how the case was going to be classified. Everything had become such a neat and organized yet chaotic mess, who knew? The only thing that could have been done was to go to the department and figure it out.

The police department is a wild and hectic whirring of machines as a line of people wait for their cases to be processed. It was a rather long wait in line but that was all that was there; time.

"Welcome to the Police Department" the proper police drone spoke as it floated by, "please scan your personal identification assistant so you can be directed." With the advancement of cellular, nano and lithium technology in the 2100's cellular phones overtook the pc market and now they dominate the world. They hold all of one's personal data, work via secured servers and are essentially ones identification in this world. All one had to do was scan it in and be directed forward.

”Why don’t you just drop her name while you’re at it, you putz.”

Evan Cartwright muttered amidst the chaotic buzz of the police station, swiping the live feed from his screen as he shifted on his feet. Removing his glasses, he sighed as he rubbed his forehead and pinched the bridge of his nose.

When the drone drew near, he slid his glasses back on and held up his phone.

”Evelyn....”

He glanced over his shoulder at his sister, expecting her to step up and do the same so that they could be directed to where they needed to go. They needed to get this business handled. He found her staring off at a nearby wall and she didn’t look as if she were reading any of the flyers that were there. He placed a gentle hand on her elbow and spoke a little louder to get her attention.

”Evey....come on.”

Elenor was dead. In her apartment. As far as the police knew, Evelyn had been the one to find her and she had but what they didn’t know was why her sister was at her place to begin with. A girls night in, she’d claimed and that she’d gone out to get something for the evening, not entirely a lie but not exactly the truth, either. She was dead because of her. She was replaying the last conversation she’d had with her sister before she’d left, Go, have fun, Evey! I’ll be here, looking prim and proper when you get back. She’d looked anything but prim and proper.

She jerked at the touch on her elbow. Turning wide, emerald eyes onto her brother. Confused for a moment before she spotted the drone. She fumbled in her coat pocket for her device, held it up...backwards and upside down to boot before she realized and flipped it so the thing could read it properly.

”We’ll be done soon, Ev.”

Evan said softly. Concerned for her well being of course but he knew they needed to get this done before he could do anything else. Gently, he placed a hand at the small of her back and guided her forward at the drones direction.

As the sound of whirring machines and mechanized crime echoed on it was a cold reminder that the fabric of society had been utterly broken down. The police had become a mix of judge, jury and executioner if needed and there were several levels that were at least dictated by humans known as arbiters. Arbiters were considered to be the best of the best among the police in terms of solving a case, the most just and priceless men and women. It was also why they where often hunted as if they were some sort of prized game animal. But the arbiters also had the unique power to send in police's military power as needed; The Paragon.

Now, The Paragon were all cyborgs who were designed for one thing; the deconstruction of crime. Of course, it was the arbiter who designated what was crime but it was rare to ever see an arbiter. But the Paragon were a uniquely tied to a single arbiter and were unhackable machines that had only one prime directive and that was issued by the arbiter. If a paragon were to be compromised they were instantly eliminated by another paragon and since they all operate on a hive mind, it made it all the more difficult to hack. The Paragons had a 99% success rate with their competition rate and each one had the armaments of a tank with the mobility if a human while being easily able to shift into various other forms as need be. Luckily, the Laws of Asimov were clearly set in place.

They were set into the office of an arbiter as he took a moment and looked over to them; his office had the faint smell of whisky and burnt cigarettes. While his features were strong and his blonde hair was smoothly combed over, it was obvious on his face that his interest was elsewhere. He was in a priceless black suit made of steel silk textiles as he placed his finger into his desk. The room itself was rather plain, there were few pictures or other things of notice as he had seemingly examined the case. He took in a seemingly long breath. His eyes shined with an electric spark, it was obvious why, all arbiters were enhanced humans, they had to be to compete. They were outfitted with the highest technology to compete and also with the paragon system to maintain control of their private armies.

"Good afternoon." He spoke with a slithery accent as he turned to the pair. "My name is Slavik Vlasov, Arbiter 765564SXU, now based on your case. What exactly are we missing here. I feel as if we are getting half the story here. Do you care to start from the stop, Eleanor's DNA examination had returned and her tox report came back and "while she had some of the drug in her system, it was not enough to kill her. Which either meant there might have been some other people involved or she screwed over some rival gang. Not to mention the security detail of her building didn't say a thing."?" His accent was colder than any winder they had ever been in and it already seemed as if he had any intention to not believe them as his electric blue eyes focused on them.

Last edited:
Evelyn’s brow pinched together. Her tongue darting over her lips as she stared at the arbiter.

”I’ve already told you lot. My sister and I had a girls night in. And the security in my building like to sleep on the job, so.....of course they didn’t say a thing. They probably didn’t even see a thing. I stepped out to go get us some food. Do you know what it’s like to have a twin? An identical twin? I didn’t even make it to the pizza hub before I felt something was wrong....I....I....”

She sniffed and looked down at her hands as they fidgeted in her lap. Fingers picking at and entwining with others.

”I didn’t make it back fast enough.”

Again, half truths. She hadn’t been at the pizza hub, but one of the clubs nearby. She had felt something was wrong and she hadn’t made it back fast enough.

”Our sister did have a tendency for drug use, recreational but I doubt she’d ever have pissed off any rival gangs. She didn’t associate with those sort.”

Evan added with indignation. A hand reaching to gently rub against Evelyn’s shoulder as he spoke.

Slavik looked over at the tears that flowed from Evelyn's eyes as he took a mental note of how she acted. It was obvious he didn't seem too convinced about the entire situation. He felt as if he had better things to do than to deal with the pointless death of some drug addled woman. But the arbiter turned over to Evan as his face obviously didn't believe the man. With a wave of his hand several reports of dead men and women were splattered across the wall with the power of a hologram.

"If you think your sister didn't associate with such people yet she seemingly died from a drug overdose, I have a bridge to sell you. Tell me, do you know about the drug known as High Life? To be honest It is quite a beautiful piece of biochemistry. Whoever invented it is honestly a genius." Slavik moved his hand again as he showed several very difficult chemical chain reports. "We arbiters have not been able to figure out how it functions exactly. The way it interacts with the temporal, occipital, and parietal lobe to literally trap a person in a state of euphoria for what feels like twenty four hours for only ten seconds is astonishing. At least she went out with a bang. But if you went to get food, that means that these men some how had the perfect storm to get in that exact moment while you were out, while the guards were also asleep and then for her to take High Life. Can you please tell your sister to stop lying before I just throw this case out, rule it a drug over dose and dump her like the rest.

Slavik's accent and demeanor turned all the more ugly as he continued to press himself further upon them. Though his size remained the same, the presence that emanated from him made the man seem bigger due to his threatening posture. His eyes were sharply squinted as he folded his hands. It was obvious that he was already quite done here with them.

Before Evan had the chance to say much either to Evelyn or in her defense, the fiery redhead shot out of her seat. Tears coating the apples of her cheeks.

”I don’t give two shits about that drug nor what you have or haven’t figured out concerning it. It didn’t kill her as you so bluntly pronounced. Someone killed my sister, you should be focusing on that. I’m not lying but if you rule it as an OD, especially when you’ve already said it wasn’t and just ‘dump’ her, you will be.”

Visibly shaking as Evan reached to try to get her to sit down.

”Evelyn Marie....sit down and....”

She jerked her arm from Evan’s grasp. Shooting a cold glare back at the arbiter for a long moment before turning on her heels and starting toward the door.

”And what, Evan? He’s already made up his mind.“

Evan was up and trying to stop his teary eyed sister. Fearing that the stress had finally broken her.

”Ev, lets, let’s let him do his job....”

Evelyn turned hard and cold eyes on her older brother and huffed, her hands slapping against her thighs incredulously.

”I could have been there too. You’re telling me you’d let him just.....just....”

Her hand flung out, palm up in Slavic’s direction and snorted.

”Nice to know, Evan. I’m not going to stand here and take this and you shouldn’t either.”

She flung the door open and stalked out. Evan sighed and turned back to Slavic. That need to do things the proper way kept him where he stood.

”Look, I don’t believe she’s lying. She’s just upset. We just want to find out what happened to Elenor.”

Slavik looked over to Evan with a nod as he stood up and gave a slow nod to the gentleman as he actually offered his hand to shake it with the brother. "While your sister might be a little irrational and I do understand her pain, I can appreciate the coolness you maintained throughout these proceedings. Normally after proceedings with an arbiter are said and done they are cancelled. And even though I am enhanced I am still prone to human error. See me again your sister is more agreeable and more willing to be honest with me."

As Evelyn stepped out of the police station she was once again greeted by the vibrant sensory violence of the world. Vibrant signs which showed off advertisements that were meant to dictate one's need to purchase some need for some pointless 3-D printed product flashed across the night sky. It was a gloomy day as well, the clouds covered the only sense of the natural world left; he moon. It made everything else feel all the more artificial. Including the person who stood in front of her.

"Hello, good evening and good day! If you are disappointed, dissatisfied or just simply afraid that the arbiters would simply kill you in their search for justice for you then please look no further! You may look towards the legendary detective Mr. Holmes! He is up for hire right now!" The person handed Evelyn off an antique looking card with a flashy, prismatic gold print but it had no hologram which was a piece of evidence to its age.

"He is not that far and your case is particularly interesting he would do the case for free! What do you have to lose! So visit for a fresh consultation and a cup of tea!" Tea... tea hasn't existed in nearly 100 years except in the most affluent of houses... but true what was there to lose at this point?

She stopped just outside the station doors, not caring at that moment if she was in any particular persons way. She took a deep breath, her eyes closed a moment on the sensory overload.

When her eyes opened, they were toward the skies, dancing over the cloud cover, following the nearly extinguished line of light from the moon behind them.

She jumped at the voice before her. Preparing to take a step back when the figures words nestled inside her head. Her eyes widening softly. The arbiter has known she was lying, even with as adamant as she’d been. No matter how she stuck to her story, he’d known. Would he kill her to find the truth? He’d sure looked like he might.

Staring at the figure a moment longer, her gaze shifted to the card as she curled her fingers around its edge. Drawing it closer as she read it. Her thumb brushing over the gold and raised lettering. Noting no hologram, she turned it over once, twice in her hand before glancing back to the figure.

Chewing on her lower lip, she glanced back at the card a second and the figure again before glancing over her shoulder. She knew her sister wasn’t mixed up with bad people. She hadn’t pissed off any rival anyone. Despite what the arbiter thought. Even if she’d admitted, in front of her brother, the true nature of her absence at the apartment, the true fact remained that her sister wasn’t mixed up with the wrong people. As Evan had himself noted, Elenor used drugs recreationally. Used them. She didn’t make them. She didn’t sell them. She bought them, fair and square from the same person she always did. She trusted them.

She sniffed and let her eyes wander further into the station to see if Evan was making his way to the exit. Her tongue darted over her lips as she turned. Let him continue speaking to the arbiter, if he thought the man would care, so be it.

”On it....thanks.”

She flashed the card a second and stepped around the figure and started off in the direction indicated. Pulling up the hood of her jacket, hiding the fiery red curls as she made her way through the throngs of people. Effectively losing herself in the crowd on her way to see the great Sherlock Holmes. Indeed, she’d heard stories and indeed, what could it hurt, what did she have to lose?

Evan stepped out of the police station, brow pinched together as his eyes searched for Evelyn amidst those shuffling along the walkway.

”Bloody hell, Evey.....where the hell did you go now?”

He grumbled to himself as he continued trying to find even a spot of the vibrant red amidst the gloom.

As Evelyn was led across the city it slowly the style of it slowly shifted, the vibrant lights that illuminated through the darkness had darkened into a state of disrepair and the buildings had shifted from the carbon nanotubes to some old brick and mortar. Eventually Evelyn was led towards the rather homey looking building, unlike the towering obelisks that stood over twenty to fifty stories tall, this one was only a few floors. It was wrapped by thick leaves almost as if it was some sort of land mark, untouched by the modern times of the world around it. It was almost remarkable. But as she continued to step closer she saw a rather curious sign.

"Sherlock Holmes and Watson Investigative Services: Est 2---"

The rest has seemed to have been scratched off, maybe they have been around for white a while? Was he an old man? Could he even handle such a case, the stairs creaked as she took steps towards the top floor. This building used to be some sort of office building; there were various sorts of offices that were seemingly closed. But eventually, as she reached a door with the same name she heard a rather raucous room, even filled with old piano music, give off its energy to her ears. It was classical music, but it was a piece that was difficult to recognize.

"W.A.T.S.O.N 7 you are not flat enough on that consolation. W.A.T.S.O.N 3 you know it is almost time to pick the tea leaves what are you doing?W.A.T.S.O.N 4, I don't even know what I am going to do with you~"

"Holmes!"

"Yes, W.A.T.S.O.N Prime?" There was a certain devilish sing-songiness in his British tone, it was surprising to hear so many accents in one day.

"What you need to do is take a case, any case. You programmed all of us, and when you get bored you micromanaged the beings you programmed."

"But all those cases were so boring! I could have solved them all before I could have even put my pants on..." He almost sounded like a petulant child in his apparent boredom.

"The same way you have no pants now? What about the Vilaby case?" W.A.T.S.O.N spoke out?

"That one? Come on, they simply used the ongoing gang turf war as a cover up for the husband's murder of his wife, he paid the gang to cut off the wires in a specific manner and then kill her. The way that security system was personally build by him, as a security manager made him the culprit. Next?" Holmes actually yawned as he seemed to zip up some pants and began to pace around.

"Fine, what about the Rothenburg case? Hmm?" W.A.T.S.O.N seemed smug about that one, it was obvious in it's voice.

"Oh, you think you have me backed up in the ropes do you? You think you are so smart? Aliens, I win." Holmes seems to take a quick sip of something.

"Aliens??? What kind of preposterous??" W.A.T.S.O.N seemed to suddenly stop his tirade.

"I just wanted a drink of this delicious, sweet tea before I utterly crush you beneath me W.A.T.S.O.N Prime. Now that one already requires an ounce of my brain power so I needed a little bit of a pick me up. That case is an unfortunate case of circumstance, see, they had recently lost their fortune due to a bad investment and the head of the household thought it would have been better for everyone to die versus a life of poverty in this modern world. His daughter was quite beautiful, she would have been ravaged. Organs do go for a high price in which that money disappears for a day. So yeah, still simple W.A.T.S.O.N."

"Even though you programmed me to hate you Holmes, I do actually hate you some days."

Last edited:
One thing that her sister had taught her, in letting the pretty bird out of her gilded cage, was not to really fear the lower people nor their style of living. Where her parents strived to keep her their princess, high in the proverbial castle, her sister had let her see more than just the affluent life and neighborhood they lived in.

True enough, this neighborhood was way out of her element and likely even her sisters, she walked with her hooded head held high, hands stuffed into her pockets and moving with a certainty, as if she belonged there.

She stood just before the short set of stone steps, staring up the entirety of the building, staring at the sky beyond the roofing. Marvel long at the simple fact that she could see it. Her eyes drew back down and settled on the metal plaque beside the entry door, her gaze tracing over the antiquity of not only the plaque itself but the lettering as well.

As she ascended, she paused, letting her fingers trace over the aged grooves worn into the metal, lingering over the missing numbers before her touch briefly dropped to the old brick as well. She found it fascinating, different, curious even that such a thing still existed. Still stood, so dominantly in a world far beyond its class.

With a soft hum of thought, she pushed the door open and entered. Her eyes traveling the length of the main floor, noting the silence as well as the closed and shuttered office doors.

Maybe not old. Or not that old. Or maybe he was old and either a clone or enhanced in some way. Regardless, the office of one Sherlock Holmes did not appear to be at ground level and so, up more stairs she ascended. Listening to the creak beneath her feet, she found herself once more marveling at the age of the building.

As she crested the final step, she paused, again letting her eyes adjust as well as travel along the hall at each closed door until she found the name, the same name as on the plaque outside.

She approached, hand raised to knock but instead it fell short as she listened to the voices and music beyond it. Her brow furrowing softly. Perplexed and curious.

Her head canted, she thought only arbiters possessed armies of machines. Hearing the various numerical versions of Watson called out, it made her wonder. Part of her considered turning away, letting the actual arbiters do their job and yet, the other part knew it would be a fight to the end with them as well.

Her lips pursed together, listening to the banter between Holmes and apparently the first and true Watson. Several times about to knock before another odd round of talk commenced between the two. Numerous times drawing at the very least an amused, albeit quiet, chuckle from her.

Finally however, she did take the opportunity during a lull, to knock upon the door.

”Mr. Holmes?”

She called softly through the door and waited.

A person opened the door and looked down at her as he seemed a little wary of her, mostly because that meant that he had to work but the least he could do was listen to the girl, right? W.A.T.S.O.N Prime looked over towards Holmes as he sighed deeply.

"Let her in, you know you can't just let a girl stay outside the entire time, that is rude. Let her in, I will get W.A.T.S.O.N six to make some cookies and we can listen to her story and maybe if there is some sort of divine force that wishes to give us some respite from your obsessive insanity, you will take a case."

"Agreed." There were a chorus of voices as the door creaked open.

Holmes, or the man presumed to be so, turned around as he slicked his graying hair back as he seemed dressed in a rather fanciful way. Not dressed in modern attire, but rather, it seemed he was taken out of a period piece and dressed very much like a proper gentleman. He wore black slacks and white shirt with a dapper green vest. It all made his raven colored eyes pop, there was a certain manly gruffness about his rugged looks that made him quite fetching. His shoulders were broad but there was a certain trained elegance to his movements. He took a seat at a near by mahogany desk as he ushered the woman to take a seat. Wait, mahogany? Was that real?

Mahogany was an extremely rare collector's item where only the richest of the world could have hoped to have earned such a piece. If she were to look around, there were more treasures from times past. Actual books, a piano, a violin, paintings from various points in history, all of them freshly lacquered and well maintained. Unlike the building, it was almost as if time had stood still inside of this space. "Now there is no need to be shy, I know I can be quite the handsome little devil but there won't be any blood pacts or anything of the sort. I understand it can be quite odd to have a hive mind here but I do very complicated work here."

"Micromanaging us all is not complicated Holmes." Spoke one of the W.A.T.S.O.Ns.

"I should advise you W.A.T.S.O.N 15 that while your cheeky sarcasm is your most endearing quality it is your only one. Wait, how rude of me, I didn't even prepare any tea. Tell me, what kind of tea do you enjoy? Would you prefer something on the sweeter side? Maybe something more robust?" There was a certain way he mentioned robust that was a little more tantalizing than expected, still, the air was inviting at least.

What did she have to lose?

Wide, green, inquisitive eyes met him from beneath the hood as he opened the door. Dark lashes fluttered over the emeralds staring at him as she blinked softly.

Her painted lips pursed inward as the voice spoke from within and behind him. When he turned back into the room, she leaned and peered in after him before she herself moved and stepped through the doorway. It took her eyes a minute to wander away from the man, not an old man but clearly a bit older than she, which intrigued her.

The books grabbed her attention as she passed, her steps slowed. Fingers brushed over the spines in the breath of a touch. His voice stopped her further and she retracted her fingers, curling them into her palm as she slid her hand into the pocket of her hoodie and turned toward the man and his desk.

Her eyes danced over the desk a moment before finding him fully again. A soft smile cracking at the corner of her lips. It was an entirely different feeling than it had been at the police station. Not just an age difference. The fact that he was by far more animated than the arbiter had been and by far easier to actually look at than the cold and uncaring man at the station. Despite not having her brother around, she felt at least somewhat at ease as she listened to the back and forth again.

Licking her lips, she stepped forward and finally settled into the chair that had been offered, though unseen as it had been, while she’d been distracted by the actual books.

”Um....sweet, please.”

Though she had seriously considered the more robust offered, if it meant alcohol. There were still nerves singing inside of her that needed calming, if she were being honest.

Taking a deep breath, she casually dug her phone from her back pocket. It felt out of place, admittedly amidst everything else in the room, even the W.A.T.S.O.N hive.

”I....I hope you can...and will help.”

She said quietly, her attention on the screen as she drew up a more in-depth report of her sisters murder than Vick McGee’s.

"If there is one thing I know about women with voices like that is that their beauty is unparalleled. Not to mention this is beginning to sound like an absolutely lovely noir novel. It is to bad noir novels died out as an art form. But she does seem tense, worn, exhausted. Curiosity is at least a sign that she is able to relax while she is in here. She know the importance of anonymity as she dressed up in a way to make herself not known, which means she has something to hide. Most likely she has already gone to the arbiters and didn't like their response. Well who would? Arbiers are assholes. Especially Slavik. Prick. But first things first, establish rapport, apply charm, extend warmth and ensure she tells the truth. Nothing like trying to pull the truth out from a woman. Unless she is naked. It is a bit easier while they are in the middle of orgasming. Again, besides the point."

"While I am not your public library if those even exist anymore, you may browse the various books I have while I prepare some tea for you. Would you like a snack as well? You can't have tea with out some sort of cake or biscuit you know. A glazed raspberry scone maybe? W.A.T.S.O.N Prime what is in the fridge currently?" Sherlock stepped away and walked into the kitchen as Prime walked over and shrugged his shoulders.

"You have fruits, flour... you do realize you rarely shop, right? You are to busy antagonizing us and also too busy not taking work." Prime quickly responded as Sherlock waved at him dismissed Prime's concerns.

"I have the perfect idea. Now my dear. Please give me a moment while I prepare something for you. I am sure you are quite used to all of this manufactured nonsense but, have you ever had an actually baked cake before? If not you are in for a treat."

"Well shit, Sherlock is getting into a baking mood. The last time we had to donate cakes for a month."

"Shut it 2." It took about an hour or so but soon there was a bright, fresh scent that emanated from the kitchen. Quite simply, if one could have captured the warmth of summer into a scent and condensed it; this would have been it. The private eye emerged with a delectable tray of cakes, each of them were delicately frosted with white peaks of snowy frosting; it was quite the juxtaposition. As the tray was set the tea cups were set and the man poured out the tea and from it was a warmly inviting smell. Vanilla, cinnamon, orange teased her nose as Sherlock smiled to her.

"These are little citrus and poppy seed muffins. Old family recipe from home. Little bit of cream cheese frosting and tea. So please, what can Sherlock Holmes do for you?" As he took a bite into the cake, there was one thing that came to mind; moist. The cake was filled with some sort of unknown sublime unctuousness and freshness that commanded the attention of the senses. The small specks of poppy seeds were like small explosions of flavor as he only seemed to smile at her while he waited.

She started to object, to try to reel him back in to the matter at hand. Her sisters murder needed solving. However, the mention of a snack, of food in general caused her pause as her stomach reminded her that she hadn’t eaten in a day and a half at least.

Gripping her device in her hands, it lowered to her lap. Her bottom lip tugged lightly between her teeth. Her gaze shifting from the screen of her phone to watch as he stood from his chair and made way toward the kitchen.

As she watched him disappear, a faint smile cracked at the corner of her lips as a soft huff of a laugh escaped beneath the shadows of her hood. Any uncertainties about having come here and alone at that, began to disappear entirely.

She sighed softly and considered again, telling him he didn’t need to go so far. She was already here to ask a big task of him. Her hooded gaze rose to meet his as he stared back at her from the kitchen, speaking directly to her. Her stomach answering for her again, with a soft growl.

”No.”

She answered honestly. He was right, she was used to manufactured, processed and packaged foods. Even as a child, their cook wasn’t much more than someone that opened said manufactured packages, prepared, heated and served the family of five.

She glanced at the bots as they piped up. A broader smile creeping over her lips. Even the multiple W.A.T.S.O.N’s hamore personality than Slavic had possessed. Which in and of itself helped in her comfort level also.

She took a moment longer then and found what she was looking for before darkening the screen and shoving it back into her pocket. A brief marvel over the mahogany desk, fingers as light and exploratory as they had been with both the building and the books before she rose and wandered back to the book shelves.

Having chosen a thin, short story compilation that had been tucked between two hard cover classics, he would return to find her half curled into the love seat. Her knees curled into the cushion, shoed feet dangling politely off the edge. Shoulder buried into the back cushion as her nose was buried in the book.

She glanced up, her nose flaring softly as the scents assaulted her even before he set the tray down. She had yet to drop her hood, though with as comfortable as she appeared to be in her current setting, it seemed now to indicate more that it was a comforting cocoon, rather than a way to hide and it was. She hadn’t had much time over the last few days to just sit, relax and decompress.

Which currently, aside from making her tea and sweets, he had afforded her the ability to at least do so, a little bit while he’d been in the kitchen.

Even if he chose not to help her with her case, she would be grateful for everything else he’d done already. She gently set the book down beside her as she uncurled her legs and settled her feet on the floor.

Her hands swept the hoodie back and off her head, unleashing the fiery curls, letting them tumble free along her back and over her shoulders as she peered curiously at the small snack cakes. Her nostrils flaring softly again as she drew in the scents.

Her stomach growled softly, demanding she stop taking her sweet time and actually feed it now that food was in front of her. Casually, she swiped her finger across one of the small mounds of topping and licked it from her finger, a precursory taste as she dug her phone from her pocket with a soft Mmm sound. Ok, the frosting was really good, the rest of it smelled delicious, she had no doubt she would enjoy it. But first, as she licked the sweetness from her bottom lip with a mere peek of her tongue, she also handed him her phone, the article on her sisters murder there for him to read.

Once he took possession of the phone, she would proceed to lift the small cake to her lips and take a bite, herself. Prim and proper having been bred into her, it was a small bite and she chewed slowly, reveling in the taste as she quietly inspected the rest of it she had yet to eat.

Those little cupcakes were quite delicious, even the great detective himself was unable to resist the cakes but what he truly couldn't resist was this young woman. It actually took a moment for is brain to actually fire as he stared at her beauty, he already found her to be quite simply to be beyond exquisite. But that vibrant, sultry red hair, those come hither lips, that alluring gait, those emerald eyes, that shining skin and those perfect...

"Holmes your inner horn dog is showing." Was it that bad? W.A.T.S.O.N 69 always made it a point to keep an eye on a lot of his more perverted habits. Holmes took a moment to drink some of his tea as he took a moment to read the report as he allowed the woman to have more of the cakes. But as he took a moment to examine the case he took in a deep breath and he rubbed his silver stubble.

"So, do you care to tell me a little bit of the background info about this. W.A.T.S.O.N Prime, can we put this on the main screen please? I have a feeling that there is more to this than what there is on the surface and I have no doubt the arbiters have already dismissed this as some sort of drug deal as stated by the news report. The man walked around as he looked rather curiously at the news report in question and the stills taken from the security camera.

That was already his second federal offense within 10 minutes. The hive mind and the security cameras.

"Who was your sister exactly? Do you think we can sneak in there? What exactly happened there and lastly, you still haven't introduced yourself. If you want a more satisfying meal I think I have some pasta some where. But I should get started on this case first." It was an odd switch of personalities, he seemed to be so much more focused as he seemed to be observing everything within the stills. Though it was obvious that he wanted more information.

"Hopefully this lovely little morsel will open up enough to allow me some sort of insight into her life because there are already notes about this case that do not add up." He mused as W.A.T.S.O.N Prime stood next to him.

"What do you think Holmes?"

"I have some notions, but I cannot say anything without some more information from our lovely guest who might be a little too deep in cake at the moment. Which is a compliment as her blood sugar spikes up." He offered the young woman a smile as he took a seat. "Take your time and explain to me what happened."

Hmmm?”

She murmured, distracted, oblivious to the inner horn dog and the mention of it. Drawing her attention away from the tasty little bit that was left, held between her fingers. She’d heard someone speak but honestly, she was so wrapped up in the consumption of the cake and sating her hunger that she’d not heard what was said, nor whom had actually said it.

She popped the last little bite between her lips, quietly watching Holmes and his reaction as he read over the news report. Chewing slowly before she took a sip of her tea to wash it down.

She was quiet, her gaze dancing between him, W.A.T.S.O.N Prime, the security stills and the tray of cakes before her. She was contemplating how best to do as he’d asked and give him the information he was seeking.

She lifted another cake to her lips, still thinking, perhaps too long, when his second battering of questions came. She gave him a soft, apologetic look, her fingers held lightly over her lips before she held a single digit out to silently tell him to give her a minute.

She finished, once again with a drink of tea to wet her lips this time more than anything. She took a breath, her lips pursing inward a moment as she sat back, holding the cup of tea against her knees.

”No, no, these are fine. Thank you.”

She said quietly, nodding toward what he’d already supplied her with.

”My name’s Evelyn Cartwright. The victim, my twin sister, is Elenor. She was a lot of things, cryptocurrency trader, black sheep of the family, recreational drug user, sure but one thing she wasn’t was involved with a drug deal gone wrong. She didn’t deal.”

Again, she paused. Lifting the tea to her lips. Her eyes watching him over the opposite lip of the mug.

”I was....out. When I came back....”

Her head canted toward the screen he had up. Her nostrils flaring softly, her gaze itself refusing to look upon the stills again.

”That’s how I found her. No one should have known she was there that night.”

Her voice had lowered, barely above a whisper. It was more than she’d admitted to in front of her brother, to the arbiter and yet, still not everything. Not the reason why she was there. She still struggled with the thought that ultimately, she was the reason her sister was dead, regardless of everything else.

"She is clearly lying to me. A terrible liar at that. She could have at least practiced how to lie. Poor girl looks as if she had never done a single bad thing in her life. None the less, I will need a little more information in order to get to the bottom of this case. But the poor girl looks as if she had never had a proper meal in her life. Evelyn was it? I will make sure to remember that name. But she did seem quite emphatic about her sister not dealing. Maybe there is some truth to this matter?"

Sherlock turned over to Evelyn as he offered her whimsical smile and he decided to not push her just yet. There must have been some reason as to why she continue to defend her sister but there was something that bothered him about the crime and when in doubt, he needed to go to the scene in question. He took his tea cup and took several more sips as he looked over to Evelyn and those luscious, fiery curls of hers. She was certainly the marvel.

"Well we will have to go to the scene of the crime, maybe we will get some information there. No doubt those cakes were not enough to satisfy you. I could hear your stomach from here. Don't worry, I am a much better chef than I am a pastry maker. So I guess I can make you dinner as well, it is the least I can do all things considered but finish your cakes. No point in making them go to waste you know. Limes are quite hard to come by." He quipped as he skipped away and stepped off to another room, it seemed that he went to take a shower as W.A.T.S.O.N Prime took a seat and began to examine the files in question.

"Is there nothing else you wish to share with us Ms. Cartwright?" He asked her rather earnestly, even though he was a cyborg and he had various tools to figure out whether or not Evelyn was telling the truth, it was part of Holmes' policy to try and figure out everything on his own. It seemed that in the meanwhile, Prime was also downloading information as he prepared for Sherlock to emerge once again. "A lead can really help since we are starting out rather blind. Hopefully the arbiters won't show up. They don't like Holmes too much.

She chewed slowly, watching and listening as he spoke. Go back to the scene? She swallowed thickly. Bite half chewed between her lips. She hadn’t been back there since she’d found her sister. The thought of having to go back, sinking in like a rock in the pit of her belly. For the briefest of moments the cakes considered coming back up at the thought. The rest of what he said took a moment to catch up in her ears and mind and she found herself watching him flitting off and Watson taking his place before she could form a proper thought much less a sentence, even a simple one to tell him this was enough for now.

Prime’s question drew a long and deep breath from her, her eyes fared into her tea a moment before she said quietly, over the lip of the mug.

”She wasn’t supposed to be there. Technically. That’s why no one should have known she was there.”

Another deep breath before she took a long, contemplative sip of tea. Speaking again as she pulled it away from her lips.

”I....I don’t think they were after her.”

Her voice growing quiet again as she uttered those words. Then she went silent completely for a few minutes. Her voice soft as she played it with a cake between in her fingers.

”I doubt I’m much of a favorite either. Arbiter Vlaslov seems to have made up his mind though and likely won’t be hanging around. I hope.”

Her bottom lip worried softly between her teeth before she pulled a piece of cake from the one she held in her hands and popped it between her lips.

"And that is the rub; a case of mistaken identity? But what exactly would cause this girl to be chased down by anyone? No doubt she looks about as innocent as a catholic school girl. Though we do know that the more pious the girl the naughtier she is. Maybe deep down she is a kingpin of some sort! Oh! I haven't been this excited in weeks! I am actually getting excited for once."

Holmes cleared his throat as he looked over towards Evelyn as he took a moment to gather up some items; namely his cane and a nice peacoat as well as a lovely hat. Prime only looked over as he looked over to the red head as he offered a smile to the young woman. "Don't worry so much about him, he is just excited and at least he is actually putting forth an effort. He normally would have ignored a case if it didn't interest him. But knowing him, I think he is more interested if everything matches than the case itself."

Sherlock turned over and feigned a look of indignation as he looked towards Prime. "How dare you sir? Yes, she might be quite the stunning young woman and salacious curiosities aside, helping her is what my primary job is at the moment. If anything becomes of it then we shall cross that bridge when we get to it. But do not worry about him being such a foul minded robot." Prime only scoffed as he picked up his own jacket.

"First off I am an android , secondly you programmed me so bow is that my fault? You need to clear out the bugs but the arbiters normally don't move on a case within the first 24 hours so we have the time to take a look at everything." Sherlock extended his hand over to Evelyn, with a whimsical smile he looked over to her as he motioned for one of the W.A.T.S.O.N.s to pack up her cakes.

"How about we go take a look at what happened and then call it a night? We need to get to the bottom of this and do you like steak more of pasta? Maybe a little bit of both? The least I can do is properly feed you after such an ordeal. Do not worry about a thing, we will keep you safe from what goes bump in the night."

"Unless its someone's bed."

"Number 69!" She had not seen him blush yet but that one actually made him turn a little rosy...

Her head down, chewing and in quiet contemplation it seemed....she listened.

The banter between android and man was amusing. A reprieve from the dark and heavy thoughts playing at her mind and weighing heavy at her heart.

She was also grateful that Ay least someone was showing an interest in her case. A mild relief had also set in that she wasn’t being brow beaten over the partial truth she’d finally revealed. Nor was she being pressed for further elaboration. Yet. So she didn’t have to face that demon just yet.

When one of the Watson’s bent to scoop up the tray of cakes and settled them into a box to hand to her, she finally tilted her head and smiled quietly at it. And spoke just as quietly.

”Thank you. I’ll just leave them here for now.”

Implying that she would certainly be back for them. She didn’t particularly like to eat on the move anyway and having not eaten much until then, the few that she had eaten had filled that hungered void for now.

She glance in Mr. Holmes direction as she pulled her hood back up over the fiery curls, tucking them beneath the darkness as she stood and started in the direction that man and machine were waiting for her.

”A little of both but....if you and your robot girlfriend need some time alone, I can find a place to eat and crash elsewhere, I’m sure.”

She spoke as she tugged the hood a little further forward, obscuring the cheeky twitch of her lips as they formed a smirk at the corners.

She caught the faint rose of his cheeks as she brushed passed both Prime and Holmes. The curl at the corner of her lips noticeable but barely in the shadows as she swept passed and into the hall beyond his door.

She stuffed her hands into the pockets of her hoodie, glancing back only briefly as she scurried toward the stairs to the lower level.

"There is no need for you to do such a thing my... dear..." The odd slowness of Holmes' speech was dictated by all things, a small black and white tuxedo cat. It was a fluffy little monster of a cat with bright and pristine blue eyes that prevented Evelyn from continuing her path forward. Sherlock walked over and frowned at the small kitten as he knelt down. "What are you doing out here Captain Snuggles?" The eccentric man had given his kitten quite the name, he moved over and handed the small kitten over towards a Watson as Prime shook his head and followed Evelyn outside.

"Do not mind him too much Ms. Evelyn. He is being a jerk." As Sherlock nuzzled his cat quite affectionately and resumed following Evelyn and Prime. "Are you done with that small kitten?"

"Of course Prime, I asked number 12 to give him a lovely can of food. Now, please lead us towards the apartment in question. The sooner we get a chance to examine and explore this place the more quickly I can work on your case." Sherlock wore himself a fetching black coat with some matching red boots. It was quite the outfit.

An unexpected sound emanated from beneath the hood as he began to speak. A soft, quite musical, laugh drifting back toward Holmes and Prime as his words faltered. Her gaze followed his, her hood shifting as her head did as well, a few loose crimson curls bouncing forth to tickle against her left cheek as it rose in amusement.

The laugh turned into a soft, breathy sound as she laid eyes upon the small kitten. Not a sound of fear or disgust but absolute adoration. Her attention was no longer on Holmes or Prime or even the previous discussion but on the dapper little ball of floof in her way, instead.

She knelt, a hand leaving her pocket to reach a finger to scritch under the little guys chin. When Holmes knelt beside her, her emerald green eyes dancing over the man’s profile as he spoke to the feline. Another cheeky smile curled at the corner of her lips as she silently repeated the kittens name. Captain Snuggles? Quite the name indeed! She stood as Sherlock did, her eyes dancing between man and beast, watching his interaction with the tiny furball, intently.

”Hmm?”

She blinked and shifted her gaze to Prime.

”A jerk.....yes.”

She tried to add a serious infliction to her tone as she let her eyes wander back toward Holmes and the kitten again before he handed the kitten off. Even going so far as to nodding as if in total agreeance but even the android would be able to tell just by the softness of her tone and the softening of her gaze, she thought anything but at that moment that Holmes was a jerk.

At the mention of her case again, her expression shifted. The color that had risen to her own cheeks seemed to drain once more. She tugged her hood back into place and turned, making her way down the stairs. Leading the way as requested.

”My apartment is about a block away from Everstone Towers.”

She said simply as they reached the door leading to the street beyond. Seemed any possible infatuation she might have been under for that brief moment with the great Sherlock Holmes, had fled back to wherever it had come from.

"A block away and I didn't notice this entire situation over the last week prime? Just what in the hell was I doing?" Sherlock had set down the silken Captain Snuggles and left a delicious can of food for the small animal. Prime was too busy laughing to even respond. Sherlock turned over towards Prime as the detective dusted himself off an curiously looked towards his robotic friend. "What is it? You seem to be rather jovial about something. Spit it out."

"I am sure you don't want me too. Let's just get going Mr. Holmes. We have more important things to do than worry about your life. We have to worry about this lovely lady's life." Sherlock had no point but to relax after that, it was true, they had her life to worry about. But after some rather tense walking they reached the gilded obelisks of Everstone Towers. Despite the modern looks of the world, this building which was decked out in black marble was ordained with gargoyles and other gothic motifs. Sherlock walked inside as they took a moment. Sherlock walked away and spoke with the guard for a moment before they were let inside.

"So please lead the way my dear, after all, you know this place better than I do." Sherlock pointed out as they waited for the elevator to come down and take them to their destination. "This is quite the home, I take it your sister did rather well for herself all things considered. But if one wondered about the fact that this tower is the tallest in the area and there was nothing near by, we have a bit of an issue." Prime gave a slow nod as he looked out.

"Something else about the windows are they they are made of a powerful polycarbonate that is resistant against most forms of weaponry. That means it was either an inside job or the tape is gone." Sherlock gave a nod as he rubbed his chin for a moment.

"We will no doubt find out more when we are inside and searching for clues. I will be expecting you to lead us along." Prime only chuckled quite gently. It seemed that he intended to play a little joke on Holmes.

"I am surprised you do not know what her favorite perfume is already Holmes. Are you slacking off?" Prime couldn't help himself which only caused the detective to flick the android's nose.

"Go find the tapes will you?" Prime soon enough sneaked away and now Evelyn was alone with Sherlock.

She stood beside Prime, quietly staring up the face of the building. Her eyes dancing over the beautiful gargoyles poised above them.

”They didn’t protect my sister very well, did they?”

She said softly. A sigh escaping at the thought of the old lore. A flight of fancy. Truly she knew the gargoyles weren’t real and couldn’t really protect a soul but according to legend.....

She jogged the remainder of the stairs up and into the lobby. Pausing only long enough to hold the door from closing on Prime before she was making her way toward the elevator. She belonged here and as long as she looked like she did, she knew no one would bother her, whether Holmes had talked to the guards or not.

”Yeah. She did. She is....was....a cryptocurrency trader, like our parents and brother.”

She, however didn’t mention that she was the odd man out. She’d opted for a different career, one far more satisfying to her own curiosities in life. Her family wasn’t not proud of her by any means but she knew there was some level of disappointment that she hadn’t joined the usual ranks of the Cartwright clan.

She fell quiet but listening as Holmes spoke, staring at his warbled reflection in the shine of the elevator doors until they parted to allow them entry.

She stepped forward and into the matte black box, turning to lean casually against the back wall. The stray curls of red framing her face as she watched the two just outside the door. If she heard Primes comment, she made no indication. Emerald eyes simply watched, cat like from beneath the hood as the Android was sent on an errand.

She was silent until Sherlock entered the elevator and Prime started away.

”Security office is to the right.”

She called out before the doors closed. The whir of the elevator cut through the silence. The inside of the doors held no shine like they had in the lobby and she couldn’t see Holmes unless she gave him a long side glance or unless she turned directly to look at him.

Instead she rocked slightly on her feet, hands stuffed in her hoodie pocket. She was at a loss of what to say currently, which for anyone that knew her, knew that was a next to impossible feat to accomplish. She was usually so full of words. She wasn’t sure if it was him or if it was the situation.

She shifted on her feet and drew her hands from the pocket, drawing her hood from her head with a faint sniff.

”It’s cherry blossom. Just in case it’s vital information pertaining to the case and all.”

Her lips twitched into a small smile at the corners as she turned her eyes up to the climbing numbers.

They had so many floors to go through; but at the mention of the perfume did bring Holmes closer to her form. He knelt into her and took in a deep breath, it was certainly an exquisite smell; the sweetness of cherry blossoms with a hint of vanilla for brightness and freshness. "Sakura ga ii nioi desu ne." What was that? Did Holmes speak Japanese for a moment? Whatever language that was it was certainly an old language. Most common Japanese had been bastardized nearly 100 years ago. "And your sister worked in crypto currency sales? That is a very tough market, she must have done well for herself to live here. How about you?"

There was something about this entire situation that didn't sit well with Sherlock. If this was truly the sister's apartment, how did Evelyn know where to find the security office? Normally those were hidden away from sight and kept as a well known secret unless one was a resident. There was certainly more here than meets the eye. But he didn't wish to step into the fold so to speak directly yet, if anything, this made the situation all the more interesting! He would have been bored already if there wasn't some sort of twist to this story.

"So any lovers currently? No doubt a beauty like yourself must be beating them away with a stick. No doubt this little situation put a hamper on your amorous activities. I will try to see if I can get this done quickly so you can return to your life." As they reached the floor in question, the door already had police locks set. Sherlock stepped by the lock and, some how, jimmied it open. That was certainly odd, there was normally no way to do this if one knew how the locks were made. Just how much did Sherlock know?

"Is there anything I should know about the apartment? Sex dungeon? Wild attack dogs? Sexier sex dungeon?" The coolness of his accent only lent itself to the smarmy comments Sherlock made as he pushed the door open and proceeded to walk inside first.

Back
Top Bottom