Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[WB] What is the most interesting Worldbuilding you have ever seen?

AtiumSteris

Meteorite
Personally I love the Cosmere from Brandon Sanderson's novels particularly the world in which Mistborn is set. I also love how he builds the world in the Reckoners trilogy and the Kingkiller Chronicals by Patrick Rothfuss are another favorite.

I have a good one. I'm a DM for my DnD group, we have like 4, so we play multiple times a week, but I had a worldbuilding moment done by one of my party. The country is being taken over by a wizard that was creating his own demons. The country's general has entrusted his strongest warrior to report to the party that the city they started in has been lost, the general staying behind to mount a resistance. The warrior was to deliver a task to the party before traveling to another land to gain assistance against the demon threat. However, the dwarf fighter in the party got into a heated argument with the warrior, insulting him and questioning his honor for running. As a result the warrior failed to bring in aid, and he became a boss for the party to fight after beating the Big Bad. The warrior reclaimed the city after the Big Bad was defeated and turned it into a utopia for the rich, just to collect money from them and steal souls from the poor.

I find alot of good worldbuilding comes from the details. Reading Metro 2033, that one constantly had minor details adding to the world through people talking about rumours or urban myths. I found it transittioned well into the games when you can hear strangers just chatting while you wander through the stations, stopping to listen to an old man tell a story about his time as a radio operator. And that he kept in contact with a small community outside the metro until one day they just stopped responding.
Stuff like that really makes the world feel bigger than just what is happening around the character.

I don't really have specifics, but the worldbuilding that resounds best to me is the kind that has nuance and depth, yet isn't in your face about how deep it is.

The most interesting worldbuilding I've seen recently is the stuff from "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet" or "A Closed and Common Orbit". For those who haven't read it, I think it's great because whilst there is some exposition about the worldbuilding, it doesn't stop the story with a bright neon sign saying "HERE IS THE EXPOSITION". Maybe I'm just the odd one out, but I really am not a fan of that when it happens

Back
Top Bottom