Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Certificate mismatch error

Mr Quixotic

The Lowest Form Of Wit
Withdrawn
Hey Veks (and any other IT gurus!)

Up until today, I had no issues getting onto the site from work and it's not a 'restricted content type' per our IT policy. However, so of this morning, I'm met with the below error when trying to get to the URL's on Chrome. Both with BMR and Elliquiy.

Your connection is not private
Attackers might be trying to steal your information from elliquiy.com (for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

It's likely all down to the new antivirus software installed at work (called Watchguard, I think?), but I'm really not sure what the error means. Or if there's anything that can be done/any way around it from my or your end?

Thanks for any help you can give.

cheers

Click on the lock icon and view the certificate info.

If it's not Let's Encrypt, then someone is intercepting the site's traffic and securing it with their own certificate instead.

No worries, thanks.

I'm not back there until Monday, so I'll have a look then and let you know.

It's definitely something they're putting in the middle to screw up the connection. What specifically that icon says, per above, would be interesting to know though.

Another possibility and something I've seen some workplaces do is specifically to un-trust certain providers. This would require control of the machine, though.

I'm certain it has to do with the new software/security they've put in place. Had a look at the certificate today, and screenshot it.

PuF3mib.jpg

I actually screenshot each tab and exported the certificate, but not sure it's something I should share in public?

In the end, as it's not banned content, I went to our IT guy and asked him! Said I couldn't access a couple of sites I used to be able to on my tablet through the work network. He's going to look into it and either allow access or let me know if he can't.

That says all that needs to be said - the certificate isn't ours and Chrome/Firefox will know this.

So e aware that anything you say or do here can be snooped on by them.

Back
Top Bottom