Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

First, Second, or Third Person?

Asukero

Meteorite
Which one do you prefer, and why? For me, I stick with third person. I don't mind roleplaying with people who do first person, but second person is just out the door. I have no clue why I prefer third person; everyone else does it, so I follow along. But what's your reasoning?

Third person. Not a fan of first person even in personal writing projects.
I/you is definitely out. Only time I might use you is in a CYOA type RP, but if smut is involved, I'd tend not to, just because it could come across wrong.

Third person. I like to wield multiple characters at a time, in addition to my main, and write from an "over head" view of the entire story. I like to jump around from character to character and first person, done correctly, is specifically writing from a limited POV.

Third. I like to think of it as through my character's eyes and not my own. Although I'm writing for said character all the things happening to them, their reactions, emotions, etc it's all for the character. gelidAtelier did touch on a point about using first person if sex is involved which is another reason I only use third. Something like that would make me feel uncomfortable.

There's viable cases for first person, but experience doesn't lie. Interpretation might, but I digress. Virtually every first person gig I've seen has not been satisfactory and more than not turned out with a partner being blatant with motivations I don't exactly need play by plays of. Forth wall breakage is a nope, and first person players I am unfortunately prone to seeing that overwhelmingly more often with. Second is useful in D&D, but useless for me for roleplaying purposes. Third I find standard and helps me get into the mode of characters.

First is so much more intimate but not suitable for a lot of Rps. But with the right person, it can be very erotic.

Third is standard but if I had my way I would prefer first in most cases. It is more immediate and erotic and as per Role Playing suggests to me the idea is to become/act out your character.

Third person for sure, first person is okay if I really enjoy the plot and it's the right partner.

Third. First/second person weirds me out too much, and I begin to suspect that the partner may be blurring the difference between me and my characters.

Third person for sure! I hate reading stories that are even in first person, the fact that my characteā€™s actions are usually different from my own etc. I also find it easier to get sucked into a characters head that way, usually only write in first person if the characters I have has a journal or ways to express their emotions etc. I actually have a character on a forum that I have with a friend that has a journal, whenever she writes in it I use first person only because Iā€™m writing from her pov on a certain situation.

Last edited:
3rd Person. The flow of the writing is easier to do in past tense for me, 1st just irks me when I read it and can't make myself write in it even back in school. 2nd person doesn't make sense to me so I don't even try to approach it.

Third for me, but I find it doesn't bother me when my partner(s) write first or second. If anything, I like the diversity.

Personally I lean more towards 1st person, it makes the play more intimate for more but also because of that reason I sometimes find writing in 3rd more suitable for some rps!

I find it difficult to write super descriptive stories in first person. Not saying I haven't, I just find that it's easier to spend time on the surrounding and fun little details without worrying about whether or not the character sees them directly. Though it's a challenge I adventure in my own personal writings Roleplaying is a fun outlit to remind me of the fun in creating worlds and stories.

That was a long kinda overdrawn was of saying: I like third person šŸ˜‚ but at the end of the day I'll write in any person.

Third person. I don't know if I'm just a little slow on the uptake but I find it hard and confusing to roleplay in first person. And that just compounds if not becomes impossible when playing multiple characters.

I like writing in the third person, it feels more like a collective novel, and it gets less confusing when one person plays multiple characters.

Third person for me. Iā€™ve been writing since junior high, didnā€™t start rping until 2003 in a chat room but itā€™s always been third person for me.

English is not my first language.
That's why I prefer to write in first person. It is much easier for me to transmit thoughts and emotions.
And... for me...
- Roleplay is in first person
- Storytelling is in third person

Last edited:
Third all the way.

I need the disconnect to get in the right mindset for roleplay. And I want to read it like a ā€œstoryā€ not a journal entry. Although those can be fun bits of writing as part of a third person story, the whole thing for me only works when in third.

Lekhika above, totally YES
want the freedom of being someone else, but not experiencing exactly what they experience. it's such an intimate thing to do alongside a made-up person, but it feels so real and fun. there's nothing like it. THIRD, mixed with some 1st-person sprinkles

Back
Top Bottom