Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Words and Wonder (Myself and ShyButDangerous)

"Just because you are accustomed to it, doesn't mean I want you to feel it especially when I can help you." Casey offered Rhett a grin, the other man's concern for him definitely lifted his spirits. "While your concern for me is appreciated, I promise you I do know my limits."

"I have lived through far worse than this, and definitely far worse than spending a little time napping on the floor." The smile had faded from Casey's face and there was a pained, far away look on his face. Shaking his head a little as if to clear it, he offered a small apologetic smile to Rhett.

"Sorry, it's been a while since I've used my magic. My body's tolerance for it isn't as high as it once was." Casey admitted, straightening a little on his unsteady legs. "Anyway, you should probably call your lady friend before she comes storming in here. She was very upset when she left." He insisted, trying to change the subject.

Rhett wants to push the topic further, but Casey's insistence makes him drop it. With a small nod, he picks up Casey's phone and dials Sarah's number. On the other end, there's confusion, as Sarah doesn't recognize the number.

"Sarah, hey, it's me.. Yeah I know, I should have told you where I was going.. No, I just.. No, I'm fine. Casey is taking care of me.. What? Is everyone okay?.. And the snakes?" There's such short pauses between Rhett's words, there's no doubt Sarah is talking very quickly. Rhett is used to that, so he has no trouble deciphering her words. "No, it's Casey's phone.. Mine is still at the forest, with my clothes.. No, I'll go get them tomorrow.. Yeah.. Okay, bye."

Rhett hangs up and sighs heavily. Setting the phone back on the counter, he rubs his forehead. Then his yellow eyes go to Casey. "I'm in no condition to get myself home. Do you mind if I spend the night here? I can stay in snake form if it makes you more comfortable.."

Casey takes the time Rhett is on the phone to retrieve his measuring cup and make himself some coffee in it. The familiar action seemed to calm him and he remained in the kitchen, leaning against the wall as Rhett finished his phone call.

"I didn't realize there was a question. I simply assumed you'd remain here tonight." Casey admitted with a small, slightly embarrassed smile. "You're welcome to stay as long as you need to. It doesn't bother me, and if it'd make you make you more comfortable I can stay in my other form as well. It doesn't bother me either way though, and I don't mind so long as you don't mind the fact that we'd be sharing a bed again, and my body puts off too much heat."

He shrugged, really not seeing anything unusual about it. It was simply taking care of an injured friend to him, though he was wondering when it was that he began to see Rhett as a friend. "Oh, and I promise I will buy some more coffee mugs. Probably another chair, and maybe a larger table as well. I do seem to be getting guests much more frequently these days." At that Casey laughed a little and grinned at Rhett. "Do you think there's anything else I should add to the list, Rhett?"

Rhett actually grins at Casey's statement about too much heat. He turns slightly, pouring hot water into the mug, then selecting a tea bag and dropping it in. He pulls the blanket back up around his shoulders, then wraps his hands around the hot mug. "Casey, I'm a snake. There's no such thing as too much heat."

Rhett shakes his head when Casey starts talking about buying more things. "More company? It's just me. And apparently Sarah? But you don't really need a big table. Maybe a couple more chairs, but I can bring some of my extra mugs and things from my house." Rhett pauses anand rubs the back of his neck. "I'm.. Kind of a mug collector."

"Perhaps, but still. Just figured I'd warn you." Casey smiled, shrugging. "For me that is a ton of people. The two of you are the only ones I've allowed into my house since I've lived here. My last editor met me one time in front of the house, and then it was all remote after that."

"I happen to have taken a liking to you, and your Sarah. I'd like you to be more comfortable when you're here." Casey admitted with a slight blush. "Collecting mugs is interesting. I on the other hand collect shiney things. They attract my other form when I'm flying, and I've taken to making wind chimes out of them. In short, that's why there are so many of them in my nest."

"Honestly, the rest of the house is only bare because I have always been prepared to leave at the drop of a hat if need be." Casey admitted.

Rhett smiles almost shyly when Casey says he's taken a liking to him. He sips his tea, listening to the man's explanation, nodding. Rhett finds it kind of sad that Casey is prepared to run away at a moment's notice. He's the opposite of Rhett, who has personal items all over his little apartment.

"Speaking of nests, what kind of shifter are you? I would assume a bird, but I was pretty delirious yesterday.." Rhett rubs at the back of his head, sighing quietly. He tilts his head, then sips his tea again.

"My other form is that of a hawk. My mother had some falcon blood too though, so my other form is too big for a normal hawk." Casey shrugged. "You remember all that fuss those bird watchers were making about a month ago about the 'new species' they thought they found? There was a photo of my other form in that article."

An amused look settled on his face at the thought. He lifted some of his long hair and turned to show Rhett the soft, downy feathers it usually hid. "I've even got feathers that won't go back like they're supposed to. Fortunately they blend into my hair."

Rhett smiles lightly and nods. He remembers that article, he edited it. Almost got in trouble too, for adding that it could possibly just be a lone nestling that got an excess of food growing up. When Casey shows off his residual feathers, Rhett smiles wider.

"I'm glad I'm not the only one with remnants in human form." Rhett turns, sliding the blankets off his shoulders. Then he hikes the back of his shirt up. All along his spine, from between his shoulder blades to the base of his spine, are small onyx scales. Strips branch off along his hip bones as well. "They used to go along my collarbones too, that took a lot to control."

Casey grins and laughs at seeing the scales. "I'm glad I'm not the only one either. Growing up, I was always taught it was a result of spending too much time in our other forms. I'm not so certain. When I was younger they covered my entire back and shoulders. Now they're just there for the most part. Occasionally the spot grows, but only if I remain in my other form too long."

The admission came with a shrug and a little curious smile. "I like the scales, they have such a pretty color. Do they shed? Mine fall out every so often. Many of the ones that are on all those windchimes and what not are actually my own feathers." He chuckled a bit. "That's not weird is it?"

Rhett pulls the shirt down and picks up the blanket again. When he turns back around, his expression is a bit awkward. Hearing Casey say he thought it was due to staying in animal form too long, Rhett is pretty sure that's true.

"Casey, I think staying animal too long is what causes it. I spent six months as a snake when Sarah found me. My eyes.. My eyes used to be blue." Rhett sighs softly, rubbing beneath his left eyes. "But I make it work. Coloured contacts helps. And yes, I shed scales. I turn it into art and sell it for a few bucks online."

"Could be. I spent a little over three years in my other form, after..." Casey's face fell as the memories rushed back. Shaking his head as if to clear it, he gave an uncomfortable smile. "Let's just say things happened. I nearly couldn't shift back, but when I did the feathers didn't stretch nearly as far. Of course I had also grown and gotten better control of myself as well."

"I did have talented feet and feathers on my hands though. Took me forever to really remember how to reshape my feet and hands right." He admitted. "I lost some of my memory, and don't actually remember what color my eyes were before. I'm pretty sure it isn't this gold though. Blue is a pretty color, but the color they are now is pretty too. Probably a pain around humans though. Oh, while I'm thinking about it, most of my neighbors here aren't human either. That's actually why I chose this house, as no one questions odd behavior."

Rhett leans comfortably against the counter, tea mug in his hands again. It feels so nice to be able to talk like this, to someone who understands. He can talk to Sarah, but it's not quite the same. She's human, and doesn't really understand what it's like to take animal form. Rhett smiles as he listens, nodding. Of course, he has his own dark past as well. He won't push Casey for his.

"I didn't know there was an inhuman neighborhood in the city. I mean, it's so close to the forest, but still. I guess I'm more disconnected from our world than most.." Rhett looks down the reason for that right on the tip of his tongue. He can't bring himself to say he's the son of a powerful serpent shifter family, though. And more than likely, his father's influence is what has led to much of the shifter community ignoring him.

"It's not really an official thing, and the only reason I know of it is actually from spying in my other form. Most of the people here are either halflings like myself, or outcasts from various species. The others gather fairly often, though I've never joined them. They know of me though, just as I know of them. I've helped them a little here and there, but always remotely." Casey filled Rhett in. "In actuality most full blooded shifters don't know about it, so it's not surprising you didn't know."

"Then again, I'm also assuming. Either way, if you're interested in their little gatherings, I'd be happy to let you know the next time they have one. They're forever sending me invites." Casey offered, smiling a bit kindly and gently touching Rhett's shoulder to comfort him. "You don't have to tell me anything you aren't comfortable with. We're friends now, and though I'm here for you if you want to talk I won't force you. I want you to be as comfortable as possible."

Rhett only nods, but he politely declines the offer of meeting with the other shifters. He doesn't like crowds, and certainly doesn't want anyone recognizing which family he's from. The touch to his shoulder is comforting. He's glad to have been able to make friends with another shifter.

"Thank you, Casey. For everything. This has been a bit strange for me, finding out an author I work for is a shifter, then being saved by him. Not that you were all that good at hiding it." Rhett grins, small pointed fangs glinting in the kitchen lights.

"Any time. It's strange for me too." Casey shrugged, and offered a smile to Rhett. "Hey I haven't really spent much time around humans. I'd like to think they'd simply write me off as crazy, rather than figure it out."

"Oh, and while we're on the subject of humans. Your friend Sarah does know it's dangerous to reveal to strange shifters that she knows about our existence right?" Concern lit Casey's features. "I know all too well that some others might see that as a threat. Please do be careful."

Rhett smiles, then rubs his forehead when Casey mentions Sarah. He sighs lightly, nodding. "Yes, she knows she's not supposedto tell anyone that she does know. I guess she figured you were a safe bet, seeing as I had told her about you."

Rhett finishes off his tea, then yawns widely. "I really need to get my phone from the bushes, but it looks so cold outside today.." Rhett sighs again as he looks out the window, grimacing.

"Oh good. I'm glad she knows it's dangerous. It hurts when someone you care about looks at you like they don't know you." Casey rubbed his arms to comfort himself from his own memories.

"I'd go get it for you, but I don't know which bush you left it in." Seeming to consider it for a moment, Casey's face brightened. "Well if you want to, you can shift and hide in my jacket and we can go together? You can use my body heat to remain warm and direct me to the right place, we can get your stuff and come back." Casey offered a small smile as he realized there was a far simpler way. "Or I can lend you a jacket? It won't completely keep the cold out though."

Rhett seems to consider he options, then nods his head. Better that he gets his things before someone else finds them. Hopefully nobody has yet. "Yeah, I can shift and hide in your jacket, that might be easiest." Rhett takes a deep breath, then tilts his head back and shifts.

Rhett's wounds make an otherwise seamless transformation painful, but he does well not to show it. It happens fast, only a handful of heartbeats, and he disappears into a pile of blanket and clothes. Then two and a half feet of shiny onyx black snake slithers out of the pile and up Casey's leg. Rhett puts himself around the man's neck, tucking his tail end half into the collar of Casey's shirt.

Casey holds purposely still as Rhett shifts and crawls up his leg. Waiting patiently, he allowed the snake to settle before he pulled on a jacket and used a scarf to farther protect and hide his friend from view.

"There. That should help you keep warm." At that point, Casey made his way out the door and towards the forest. Once they were past the tree line, Casey paused. "Which way? Can you use either your head or tail to point please?"

Rhett is more than comfortable resting looped around Casey's neck. His body heat is a welcome protection. Rhett rests his head on the scarf as Casey walks, watching their path. Past the treeline, his tongue flicks in and out. He's tracking the remnants of his own scent.

Suddenly, his head tilts, pointing slightly down. There's a thorny blackberry bush they're getting closer to. Rhett almost feels sorry that Casey will have to reach past the thorns. His bundle of clothing, wrapped neatly in his leather jacket, is at the center, by the thin main trunk of the bush.

Casey willingly follows the snake's directions, easily spotting the bundle with his sharp eyesight. Without hesitation, he carefully reached into the thorns and extracted the bundle. Hardly wincing at the scratches from the thorns on his fingers, he picked any lingering leaves and foliage off the bundle before holding it close to his chest. The scratches were already nearly gone thanks to the fea magic in his blood, as well as the accelerated healing effect he had gained from his mother's bloodline.

"Seems no one has bothered it." Casey spoke confidently as he returned them to his home. Quickly, he entered and made his way back to the kitchen where he placed the newly recovered bundle on the counter. "Would you like me to leave the room so you can get changed?"

Rhett is glad nobody touched his things, though he winces when Casey's arm gets scratched up. Even if he does heal quickly. Back at the house, Rhett doesn't wait for Casey to leave or turn around. He slithers from the man's body to the floor, shifting back to human form.

Rhett's body is covered by old scars, in addition to his recent wounds. Many of the scars are small, but some of the bigger ones look like they had been jagged wounds, not caused by blades. Rhett dresses, pulling on all layers and wrapping his scarf around his neck.

"Oh. That works too." Casey mumbled, not use to being around people, much less naked ones. He kept his eyes politely pointed up at the floor in front of him while Rhett got dressed. While he had grown up with shifters and nudity, the golden eyed man wasn't really sure how well acquainted with it the other man was.

"How are your wounds doing? They aren't hurting you too much are they?" Hovering with a concerned look on his face, the hawk shifter wondered if he shouldn't try giving his friend a little more magic.

"Well with that done, are you hungry? I can order us some hot food if you'd like? It may help you heal up better." Casey offered with a small smile.

Rhett turns back toward Casey, a small smile on his face. He probably should have been a bit more respectful and not shifted right in front of his host like that. But he was cold and needed to dress, and he can't continue to rely on Casey for body heat. Rhett nods lightly at the offer of hot food.

"Hot good would be good. The heat will warm me, and the food will give me energy to heal. Now that I have my wallet back, I can pay for it, as thanks for letting me stay here a while." Rhett shifts his weight, then plugs his phone in on the kitchen counter. Thankfully, he's always got a charger in his jacket pocket. "It must seem strange having so many layers on indoors.."

Back
Top Bottom